Mets sign reliever Justin Wilson to two-year, $10 million deal

*ernie

Jan 25, 2019, 11:39:27 PM1/25/19

The New York Mets have added another arm to their bullpen, coming to
terms with free agent relief pitcher Justin Wilson on a two-year
contract worth $10 million. The deal, which was first reported by Ken
Rosenthal of The Athletic, is pending a physical.

Wilson has bounced around during his career, pitching parts of seven
seasons with the Pittsburgh Pirates, the New York Yankees, the Detroit
Tigers, and, most recently, the Chicago Cubs. The 31-year-old southpaw
has mostly found success wherever he has gone, sporting a career 3.33
ERA and 3.30 FIP in 370.2 innings pitched. In his career, he has
averaged 9.9 K/9 and 4.0 BB/9.

He is coming off a solid season for the Cubs, during which he had a
3.46 ERA and a 3.64 FIP in 54.2 innings pitched over 71 appearances.
Among all free agent relief pitchers, he had the seventh-best
strikeout rate at 29.2%, but he also posted a high 14.0% walk rate
last year. He faced 93 lefty batters in 2018 and held them to a .188
batting average and .643 OPS.

Wilson will likely serve as the team’s featured left-handed option of
the bullpen. Earlier this offseason, the club signed Luis Avilan and
Hector Santiago to minor league contracts and invited them both to
spring training. Daniel Zamora, who pitched well at the major league
level in limited action last year, is also a candidate to earn a spot
on the roster out of spring training.

https://www.amazinavenue.com/2019/1/25/18197641/mets-sign-justin-wilson-relief-pitcher-bullpen-hot-stove-new-york

ernie k.
already...@hotmail.com

Bob4Health

Jan 27, 2019, 1:37:39 AM1/27/19
The only part of the team lacking real depth is the starting staff now.
Someone will go down. I guess Lugo is being prepped for starting. A good arm at AAA available would work.

matt....@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2019, 3:06:24 PM1/27/19
I don't see Lugo starting. They have Oswalt, they have 5 starters, and then it does get kind of thin. But honestly, who out there isn't this true of? I think they have some guys at AAA that might be up and coming, but we'll see.

Bob4Health

Jan 30, 2019, 1:14:30 AM1/30/19
On Sunday, January 27, 2019 at 12:06:24 PM UTC-8, matt....@gmail.com wrote:
> I don't see Lugo starting. They have Oswalt, they have 5 starters, and then it does get kind of thin. But honestly, who out there isn't this true of? I think they have some guys at AAA that might be up and coming, but we'll see.

The Mets are treating and training Lugo as a starting pitcher. That gives him flexibility for starting or long relief.

But, he's on their starting radar for sure.

MetsFanSince71

Jan 30, 2019, 10:02:13 AM1/30/19
Like always with the Mets everything looks great on paper until the players actually have to do their jobs. Always disappoint. I hope once again this year they come together and do it.

Bob4Health

Jan 30, 2019, 4:36:48 PM1/30/19
On Wednesday, January 30, 2019 at 7:02:13 AM UTC-8, MetsFanSince71 wrote:
> Like always with the Mets everything looks great on paper until the players actually have to do their jobs. Always disappoint. I hope once again this year they come together and do it.

The difference this year is depth. The Mets have had better starters, but never this much depth.

*ernie

Jan 30, 2019, 10:56:23 PM1/30/19
Has everyone forgotten Robert Gsellman? He did a fair enough job last
season to deserve consideration as a spot starter this year.

Bob4Health

Jan 31, 2019, 1:39:49 PM1/31/19
Both Gselmen and Lugo are worthy of starting. But, they are 2 crucial, reliable long relievers. They need to be ablt to hand a lead over to them in the 6th and 7th innings.

Obviously, if a starter goes down, those are the guys they'll grab.