Is Ron Darling finished as Mets Announcer?

MetsFanSince71

Oct 7, 2018, 2:17:46 PM10/7/18
Ron Darling uses slur in reference to Masahiro Tanaka on TBS broadcast of Yankees/Red Sox Game 2

Ron Darling may be in hot water after a boneheaded comment during the TBS broadcast of Game 2 of the American League Division Series Saturday night.
With Masahiro Tanaka on the mound in the fourth inning, Darling referenced the right-hander losing his command and used a racial slur.
“Chink in the armor for Tanaka here,” Darling said. “It’s the first inning he has lost a little of his control.”
Darling did not appear to realize that he had used the slur in reference to Tanaka, who is Asian.
RELATED: Yankees win, tie ALDS 1-1
That same phrase has gotten members of the media into trouble before, most infamously with the ESPN headline writer who used it in reference to Jeremy Lin after the then Knicks guard had nine turnovers in a game amid what had been a torrid stretch.
The headline writer, Anthony Federico, was fired by ESPN and sincerely regretted his mistake at the time.
"This had nothing to do with me being cute or punny," he told the Daily News at the time. "I'm so sorry that I offended people. I'm so sorry if I offended Jeremy."
An ESPN anchor, Max Bretos, was also fired shortly after because it was discovered he had used the same phrase on a broadcast.
Lin was gracious in his response to that controversy back in 2012, saying that the public apologies were enough.
NBA player JJ Redick was also vilified earlier this year when he used the taboo word in a video celebrating Chinese New Year.
“Clearly I was tongue tied, as the word I purportedly said is not in my vocabulary. I’m disappointed that anyone would think I would use that word,” Redick said in response.
Darling, similarly, likely wasn’t thinking when he used the slur on the playoff broadcast, but the phrase is one that really needs to be retired from people’s vocabulary.

tmp

Oct 7, 2018, 5:01:23 PM10/7/18
On Sunday, October 7, 2018 at 2:17:46 PM UTC-4, MetsFanSince71 wrote:
> Ron Darling uses slur in reference to Masahiro Tanaka on TBS broadcast of Yankees/Red Sox Game 2
>

> With Masahiro Tanaka on the mound in the fourth inning, Darling referenced the right-hander losing his command and used a racial slur.
> “Chink in the armor for Tanaka here,” Darling said. “It’s the first inning he has lost a little of his control.”

That's not a racial slur when used in that context. Darling's intent and meaning could not have been any clearer. People need to grow up. Or get educated. Maybe both.

From Wikipedia:

The idiom "chink in one's armor" refers to an area of vulnerability. It has traditionally been used to refer to a weak spot in a figurative suit of armor. The standard meaning is similar to that of Achilles' heel.[1]

The phrase "chink in one's armor" has been used since the 15th century.[3] It adopted a more idiomatic meaning in the 17th century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chink_in_one%27s_armor

ruben safir

Oct 8, 2018, 1:01:08 AM10/8/18

matt....@gmail.com

Oct 8, 2018, 4:00:01 PM10/8/18
On Sunday, October 7, 2018 at 2:17:46 PM UTC-4, MetsFanSince71 wrote:
a) Ron is of Asian descent, I think he can be forgiven.
b) A chink in the armor has nothing to do with a racial slur. I think perhaps people might have overreacted.
c) Ron is one of the classiest people you will ever meet.

That is NOT a racial slur, any more than calling a particular strain of ape a "baboon" is a slur.

*ernie

Oct 8, 2018, 5:51:19 PM10/8/18
On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 14:01:22 -0700 (PDT), tmp <tmps...@gmail.com>
wrote:
People are way too sensitive these days. We are riding a slippery
slope. (oops, there goes another Asian slur)

ruben safir

Oct 8, 2018, 10:22:25 PM10/8/18
On 10/8/18 3:59 PM, matt....@gmail.com wrote:
> a) Ron is of Asian descent, I think he can be forgiven.
> b) A chink in the armor has nothing to do with a racial slur. I think perhaps people might have overreacted.
> c) Ron is one of the classiest people you will ever meet.
>
> That is NOT a racial slur, any more than calling a particular strain of ape a "baboon" is a slur.

Are yiuy saying that all Asian people are polite?

matt....@gmail.com

Oct 9, 2018, 1:57:50 PM10/9/18
No, I'm saying nobody is all that polite. But Ron is much more polite than, say, your average Usenet poster.

ruben safir

Oct 9, 2018, 7:35:57 PM10/9/18
On 10/9/18 1:57 PM, matt....@gmail.com wrote:
> But Ron is much more polite than, say, your average Usenet poster.

That is notable

Jim S.....

Oct 11, 2018, 3:50:33 PM10/11/18
Isn't Tanaka Japanese?

Bob4Health

Oct 11, 2018, 7:08:38 PM10/11/18
On Thursday, October 11, 2018 at 12:50:33 PM UTC-7, Jim S..... wrote:
> Isn't Tanaka Japanese?

Don't confuse us with the facts.