Mets' David Wright set to play baseball again

*ernie

Aug 12, 2018, 12:28:53 PM8/12/18
While I am very happy for David Wright, a true gentleman of the game,
that he is attempting another comeback, I hope the Mets aren't counting
on him in their plans. All plans for next year should proceed with
filling a big hole at third base. If Wright does make it all the way
back, consider it a bonus.

https://nypost.com/2018/08/11/mets-david-wright-set-to-play-baseball-again/

MIAMI — David Wright is ready to give the comeback trail another try.

The Mets captain — who last appeared in a major league game in May 2016
— will begin a minor league rehab assignment Sunday, with five innings
at third base for Single-A St. Lucie at Clearwater, the team announced.

Wright had been working out at the team’s minor league complex in Port
St. Lucie for the past several weeks.

“I think a lot of people just want to get their eyes on him and see how
the ball is coming off his bat, how he was moving around at third, how
he was throwing the ball,” manager Mickey Callaway said Saturday before
the Mets faced the Marlins. “Everybody really felt confident that he was
in a really good spot to go out and compete in a game.”

Wright’s last minor league rehab assignment ended in disappointment in
August 2017, when he was shut down from baseball activities to undergo
surgery for a torn rotator cuff. Wright underwent subsequent surgery to
alleviate the pressure on his lower back.

The 35-year-old third baseman was diagnosed with spinal stenosis during
the 2015 season. Wright is still managing the ailment and needs
extensive pregame conditioning just to prepare for baseball activities
on a daily basis.

Wright’s longtime teammate Jose Reyes said it’s “unbelievable” his
friend is still attempting a comeback.

--
ernie k.
already...@hotmail.com

matt....@gmail.com

Aug 13, 2018, 8:55:05 AM8/13/18
On Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 12:28:53 PM UTC-4, *ernie wrote:
> While I am very happy for David Wright, a true gentleman of the game,
> that he is attempting another comeback, I hope the Mets aren't counting
> on him in their plans. All plans for next year should proceed with
> filling a big hole at third base. If Wright does make it all the way
> back, consider it a bonus.

Nobody is counting on him even making it to the major league level, just rooting seriously for him. Nobody thinks if he does, he'll be able to start every day, that simply isn't going to be possible.

But if he comes back, if he plays a major league game this year, you better believe I will be there. David Wright is the heart and soul that this team has lacked for the last few years. He's done everything asked of him, never been selfish, and has tried at a time when anyone else would have given up, taken the money, and walked away.

Go David!

tmp

Aug 13, 2018, 9:04:06 AM8/13/18
On Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 12:28:53 PM UTC-4, *ernie wrote:
How many remember that David Wright is on a hot streak? He homered in his last 3 games in 2016.

Seriously, I can't do anything but wish him well. If he can play a little bit for the Mets in September, that will be great to see.

*ernie

Aug 13, 2018, 1:08:46 PM8/13/18
On Mon, 13 Aug 2018 06:04:05 -0700 (PDT), tmp <tmps...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 12:28:53 PM UTC-4, *ernie wrote:
>> While I am very happy for David Wright, a true gentleman of the game,
>> that he is attempting another comeback, I hope the Mets aren't counting
>> on him in their plans. All plans for next year should proceed with
>> filling a big hole at third base. If Wright does make it all the way
>> back, consider it a bonus.
>>

>> https://nypost.com/2018/08/11/mets-david-wright-set-to-play-baseball-again/
>>

>How many remember that David Wright is on a hot streak? He homered in his last 3 games in 2016.
>
>Seriously, I can't do anything but wish him well. If he can play a little bit for the Mets in September, that will be great to see.

Amen to that.