Smith recalled, eager to prove himself in 'pen

*ernie

May 11, 2021, 4:22:02 PM5/11/21
If he turns out to be even half-ass, get rid of Diaz. Just cut the
teams losses and get ride of him. It will be addition by subtraction.
I'd rather have an unknown commodity in Smith than the crap I've come
to expect for Diaz.

https://www.mlb.com/mets/news/drew-smith-recalled-by-mets

NEW YORK -- For various reasons, one of the Mets’ more intriguing
young bullpen arms has been unable to stick in the Majors for any
length of time since debuting in 2018. Drew Smith burst onto the scene
that year and experienced immediate success, posting a 3.54 ERA over
27 appearances as a rookie. But he tore his ulnar collateral ligament
the following spring and spent the next year and a half recovering
from Tommy John surgery.

Upon returning last summer, Smith never received consistent chances,
shuttling up and down from the alternate training site throughout the
abbreviated season. A poor outing in his final appearance bloated his
numbers in a small sample, making them look worse than the overall
body of work actually was.

Finally, this spring, Smith was racing toward a roster spot when he
experienced a bout of shoulder inflammation that set him back several
weeks. He remained in Florida when camp broke, staying away from the
Mets until they called him up to Citi Field for his season debut on
Sunday.

“Honestly, it was pretty demoralizing, just because I knew I had a
decent chance to make the team, and I was pitching well,” Smith said
of his spring shoulder injury. “I had finally started to feel pretty
normal again after Tommy John. So that was the hardest part, was my
elbow was starting to feel really good. I was actually just talking to
the [physical therapists] about it in Spring Training, like, ‘Man, I’m
feeling normal.’ And then that shoulder thing just happened. So it was
pretty frustrating, but luckily, it was pretty minor, and I was able
to bounce back pretty quick. Hopefully, it’s in the past now.”

Overall, Smith has produced a 4.11 ERA in 35 career appearances. He is
one of the last remaining prospects from a 2017 Trade Deadline haul
that saw the Mets trade several prominent veterans in exchange for a
cadre of relief prospects. Last year, Smith introduced a cutter into
his arsenal, pairing it with a fastball that he throws in the mid- to
upper 90s (as well as a slower curve). He spent time two offseasons
ago shadowing Clayton Kershaw in Texas, using that chance to learn how
the future Hall of Famer tunnels his pitches.

In that manner, Smith hopes to give the Mets no choice but to keep him
this time around.

ernie k.
already...@hotmail.com

Hass

May 11, 2021, 8:45:22 PM5/11/21

*ernie

May 11, 2021, 11:26:24 PM5/11/21
On Tue, 11 May 2021 17:45:20 -0700 (PDT), Hass <bhass...@gmail.com>
wrote:
If this kid is half as good as advertised, that trade will go down as
an all-time blunder. I'll assume the Mets knew along that Canoe was
washed up, but what was their thinking with Diaz? Did they think a
stellar reliever for a shit Seattle team could duplicate that with a
contending New York team? They should just cut their losses and
release him.

Popping Mad

May 12, 2021, 9:55:01 PM5/12/21
On 5/11/21 4:22 PM, *ernie wrote:
> If he turns out to be even half-ass, get rid of Diaz.

Drew Smith can take the role of Diaz?

Popping Mad

May 13, 2021, 1:58:32 AM5/13/21
On 5/11/21 11:26 PM, *ernie wrote:
> If this kid is half as good as advertised, that trade will go down as
> an all-time blunder.

That trade was the alltime blunder before it was completed. Blame
idiots like Martino on Shea Anything and SNY who believe that trading
prospects for established players is a valid means of building a ball
club. Never mind that there has never been a good trade in major league
history that invloved trading grade A prospects for established players.

What they were after was indeed, Diaz. There was no reason in the world
to believe he was a flash in the pan other than the fact that relievers
usually have short lives. But Diaz's value is not finished yet. Taking
the Cano contract was the price. But considering the cost, I don't know
why they offered ANY players of specific value for the Cano contract.
Cano is a steroids junky that the Mariners were locked into and stuck
with and they unloaded that albatross on us. If they were going to do
that, they could have picked up Stanton. Dealing prospects is like
cutting off the Oxegen supply of your organization. It ALWAYS is, 100%
of the time.

Even the trade for Rusty Stuab, which shipped out Tim Foil, Mike
Jorgensen and Ken Singleton was a failed trade, and THAT is the best it
gets. You can look at the Piazza trade, if you considered any of those
players grade prospects, which they really weren't. But the Marlins got
back considerable value after unloading all that salary with Preston
Wilson. You just never win trading grade A prospects.

If there is one rule in baseball, collect prospects and trade old
contracts and NEVER trade for a middle aged infielder from Cleveland.

Maestro

May 13, 2021, 8:05:08 AM5/13/21
Diaz had one bad year, the year before that he was lights out.

Now he has a real catcher, and he's doing fine.

Hass

May 13, 2021, 10:25:52 AM5/13/21
Yeah, I'm not quite ready to give up on him...his stuff is electric, no doubt. Doesn't seem to do well in non-save situations, but many closers are like that. He had a nice 5-out performance the other day, too. All those HR's in 2019 have to be an aberration...the entire BP this season has been lights out so far.

Popping Mad

May 13, 2021, 5:47:26 PM5/13/21

*ernie

May 14, 2021, 11:04:47 PM5/14/21
On Thu, 13 May 2021 05:05:06 -0700 (PDT), Maestro <lowh...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Diaz may be a superstar in any city but New York. Some guys just don't
do well here. He sucked in 2019 and did again last season until the
season was a lost cause; only then with no real pressure anymore did
he pitch well. He belongs in the same category as Randy Meyers,
Armando Benitez and Jeurys Familia; great numbers that mean nothing
when it means the most. Ditch him!

Popping Mad

May 15, 2021, 5:02:13 PM5/15/21
On 5/14/21 11:04 PM, *ernie wrote:
> Randy Meyers

want to check the 1988 Randy Meyers season again?

Popping Mad

May 31, 2021, 5:28:44 PM5/31/21
It may mean nothing but the kid aint hitting