home umpires & computerized strike zone, etc

21bla...@gmail.com

Mar 14, 2017, 12:51:17 PM3/14/17
watching baseball on TV, you can now see, most of the time,
whether an umpire makes a lousy [or good] call, on balls & strikes
[it wasn't this way not that long ago]

we can now see home plate umpires making wrong calls,
sometimes quite often, during a game. It can be upsetting to watch.
Things have simply changed, with this new technology.

during the regular season, it doesn't really bother me that much,
and you could say it adds some character to the game. But,
it doesn't seem fair/right, starting in the Playoffs, that one person, not
a player or manager, to have such a [possible] impact on games

[now, you could ague, it's the same for Both teams, i suppose]

i think trying it out, at least in the World Series, the most important games of the year, or those one game playoffs, might be reasonable.
or,
how about letting All the MLB players vote If they would like to try it out? That seems fair; or at least get their opinion

related
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/12406800//

marc

tmp

Mar 14, 2017, 3:26:12 PM3/14/17
It's anyone's guess when it will be implemented, but one thing is for sure...the LAST place you would want to test it out for real would be during the MLB post season!

At least one version of it has already been tried in a few professional games:
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-automated-strike-zone-20150810-story.html

ruben safir

Mar 14, 2017, 3:32:00 PM3/14/17
On 03/14/2017 03:26 PM, tmp wrote:
> t's anyone's guess when it will be implemented, but one thing is for sure...the LAST place you would want to test it out for real would be during the MLB post season!
>
> At least one version of it has already been tried in a few professional games:
> http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-automated-strike-zone-20150810-story.html

The last thing we need is more machines in the game. It's a game.
Umpires are part of the game. Bad calls are part of the games.
Arguments are part of the game. Manipulating the umps is part of the
game. Dock Ellis beaming 5 Reds in a row is part of the game.

21bla...@gmail.com

Mar 14, 2017, 3:52:04 PM3/14/17
back when there was doubt, then i could understand

but now, if you know for certain a call is wrong, and
if it happens over and over in one game, let's say one umpire, well...
and if it happens in the playoffs, that seems wrong

look, things change
[we now know for certain, what a pitch was - no doubt]

i would really like to see the MLB players themselves chime in [vote] on this, and get their opinion.
If they wanted to leave it alone, i'm fine with it

and i can understand/respect the opinion of someone who just wants to leave it alone, also; no problem

marc

tmp

Mar 15, 2017, 9:56:05 AM3/15/17
Yeah he hit the first 3, then tried to hit the next 2, then they finally took him out of the game. I think Dizzy Dean (Gas House Gang) once threw at 7 in a row in a **spring training** game before he was taken out. I'm going from memory right now, but that story is in Durocher's book. That was a different game back then for sure.

As far not wanting to see the automated balls/strikes calls, your opinion is in the majority, including most of the players. I think it will be quite a while before we see it in MLB, but like the automated line calls in tennis, it's inevitable.

ruben safir

Mar 15, 2017, 10:16:07 AM3/15/17
On 03/15/2017 09:56 AM, tmp wrote:
> As far not wanting to see the automated balls/strikes calls, your opinion is in the majority, including most of the players. I think it will be quite a while before we see it in MLB, but like the automated line calls in tennis, it's inevitable.

that actually makes more sense that umps being removed. The replay has
been a disaster. Line calls, I can live with. That call down the line
has always been one of the hardest for umps to make and it can be
replaced witha lazer beam. But gamemanship on the diamond is PART of
the game and I don't want it eliminated by machines. There are enough
crappy unrelenting machines in my life already.