Tweet 2/18

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 5:59:01 PM2/18/16
# A very significant part of Red Sox history, Nick Punto, has
retired at age 38, after 14 seasons. He’ll never be forgotten.

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 5:59:20 PM2/18/16
# Punto, like fellow #5 Nomar Garciaparra, was the Moses of
the Red Sox, not quite able to enter the Promised Land.

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 5:59:34 PM2/18/16
# Punto came up with the Phillies, playing briefly for them
in 2001-03, but became famous as a Twins superutility guy.

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 5:59:44 PM2/18/16
# Punto combined excellent defense and a keen batting eye,
helping the Twins make the playoffs twice in seven seasons.

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 5:59:56 PM2/18/16
# In 2011 Punto led the Cardinals to a World Series title,
batting .278/.388/.421 with 6 sacrifice bunts in 133 at-bats.

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 6:00:09 PM2/18/16
# In one of his first moves as Red Sox GM, Ben Cherington
signed Punto as a free agent shortly after the parade.

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 6:00:44 PM2/18/16
# Punto played 4 positions for the 2012 Red Sox, appearing
in 65 games. He was successful in all 5 of his stolen base attempts.

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 6:00:56 PM2/18/16
# But on August 25 of that year, the Dodgers gave Boston
5 players and millions of dollars in exchange for Punto.

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 6:02:23 PM2/18/16
# Cherington generously gave the Dodgers 3 other players, Josh
Beckett, Carl Crawford, and Adrian Gonzalez, in the Punto package.

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 6:02:39 PM2/18/16
# Although the Sox had trouble finding a utility player to
replace Punto in 2013, they managed to win a World Series.

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 6:02:58 PM2/18/16
# Afterwards, many analysts credited the Punto Deal with
giving Boston the "cap space" to sign several key 2013 FAs.

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 6:03:13 PM2/18/16
# So the next time you think of Koji, Napoli, or Victorino, raise a
glass to the man who brought them to Boston: Nick Punto.

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 6:03:22 PM2/18/16
# As for Punto, he had a good year for the Dodgers in 2013,
spent 2014 with the A’s, but didn’t play in the bigs last year.

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 6:03:34 PM2/18/16
# Punto finished his career with 1163 games, 19 homers,
104 steals, 63 successful sacrifices, and 2381 assists.

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 6:03:44 PM2/18/16
# GOING BOTH WAYS? Farrell says the Panda will go back
to switch-hitting this season, and has lost 20 pounds.

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 6:03:56 PM2/18/16
# WORKMAN PROGRESS: Brandon begins throwing off
mounds, and will pitch in Pawtucket’s pen when healthy.

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 6:04:04 PM2/18/16
# Using my formulas, I project Mookie plays until 2032:
1651 runs, 3055 hits, 303 HR, 1300 RBI, .291 BA, 384 SB.

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 6:04:14 PM2/18/16
# My system had Mookie finishing the 2031 season with
2984 hits, so I had him play at age 39 to pass #3000.

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 6:04:24 PM2/18/16
# It’s just for fun, and the known sample is so small that
it’s impossible to be anywhere close to accurate.

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 6:04:34 PM2/18/16
# On one hand, the projection assumes no injuries. On the
other hand, it assumes no amazing breakout year.

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 6:04:46 PM2/18/16
# But if Mookie retires with those numbers, he’ll be
bowling with John Smoltz at the Otesaga Hotel in 2038.

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 6:04:55 PM2/18/16
# YOST WITH THE MOST: Royals extend Ned’s contract
through the 2018 season, and also re-up Dayton Moore.

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 6:05:06 PM2/18/16
# Tigers sign one of my bullpen sleeper recommendations,
ex-Met Bobby Parnell. Would致e preferred him to Marmol.

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 6:05:15 PM2/18/16
# To be fair, Farrell, Willis, and Bannister all claim to have
an idea on how to fix Marmol (changing his arm slot).

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 6:05:29 PM2/18/16
# If it works, great. Of course, Mets fans recall Rick Peterson
claiming he could fix Victor Zambrano in five minutes!

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 6:06:33 PM2/18/16
# BROCK AND ROLE: Farrell estimates 350-400 at-bats for
Holt. Seems a bit high now, but sh-t always happens.

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 6:06:48 PM2/18/16
# HIGH BROW? Dombrowski warns against complacency,
saying he won’t rule out moves this spring if necessary.

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 6:07:06 PM2/18/16
# APPEALING GUY: The despicable Aroldis Chapman is
saying he’ll contest any suspension by MLB. He is trash.

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 6:07:33 PM2/18/16
# ON THE MARKS: Prokhorov hires Sean Marks as new GM. Great choice;
New Zealander, ex-player, highly-touted Spurs assistant GM.

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 6:07:55 PM2/18/16
# I am disappointed in Pope Francis for his unfortunate comments about
Mr. Trump, whose response was brilliant, concise, and on point.

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 6:08:07 PM2/18/16
# A great football legend, Jared Allen, has retired from the
Carolina Panthers. Next stop, Canton.

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 6:08:19 PM2/18/16
# Speaking of retirement, there is a glimmer of hope in the
Motor City that Megatron may decide to keep playing.

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 6:08:31 PM2/18/16
# Cappy starting Greiss over Jaro against Washington, a
team Halak usually does well against. Hmm. Is #1 now #1?

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 6:08:42 PM2/18/16
# Great match last night at MSG, Chicago at the Rangers.
Young Panarin had his first hat trick. What a find for the Hawks!

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 6:09:13 PM2/18/16
# Laugh at Suzyn Waldman if you must, but I believe she
absolutely deserves to be in the HOF’s "broadcast wing."

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 6:09:23 PM2/18/16
# Suzyn is a pioneer for women in sportscasting, and would
be a great choice for the Ford Frick Award one day.

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 6:11:06 PM2/18/16
# Sherman reveals that before Tommy Hunter signed with Francona, he
had a deal with the Yanks, which they voided due to bad medicals.

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 6:11:43 PM2/18/16
# Former Sock Burke Badenhop signs with Washington. He's an adequate
low-leverage guy, useful but not essential.

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 6:18:11 PM2/18/16
# I am urging all of my followers to boycott all Apple products until
Tim Cook starts cooperating with the government's anti-terror request.

bismotwitter

Feb 18, 2016, 6:19:26 PM2/18/16
# I'd like to think Steve Jobs would have cooperating. I'm not sure,
but I'd like to think so. This terrorist's info needs to be obtained.