why jetskis suck

Lawrie Herd

Mar 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/13/97

Sorry to have to say this guys but you jetskiers really irk me.
Every sunday for the last 5 years I used to go down to the local beach for
a swim windsurf or sail however recently there has been a number of Jetskis
out.
The reason most people go to the beach is too get away from it all the
noise the pollution the hoons.....
Jetskis represent to me nearly all of what I want to get away from. They
are loud sounding like lawnmowers and pollute the water and in general
wreck the whole atmosphere at the beach. They come buzzing in too within
metres of the shore regardless off any swimmers and generally are hoons.
It seems to me that you guys are nothing more than petrol head middleaged
males trying to regain their youths. YOu remain in my opinion cheats on the
water not using any of your own skill or strength to go fast instead
showing off on these machines which do everything for you. why do you guys
even bother going onto the water as to me what you do seems no different
than driving a car.
Most watermen-sailors surfers windsurfers divers have a special attachment
to the ocean using nature and skill for enjoyment really feeling the soul
and essense of the sea. You guys don't have this and go on these machines
to bring your power crazed minds onto the sea a place which is wild and
beautiful but a place now which is underthreat by petrol heads showing off.

Jet nurse

Mar 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/13/97

hey pal why dont you wise up and maybe take a look at the fishermen
stealing the fish and useing thre moters. maybe look at the pleasue
boaters that are just "cruising" arround the lake.
Wake up pal smell the premix, we are here to ride and have equal rights to
the beach the same as you do. Legislation proves this.
I agree that there are some people who disobey the local laws but there is
also several boater who do the same. We need to come to a happy medium.

jetn...@aol.com

Toxidity

Mar 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/13/97

Lawrie Herd <drh...@xtra.co.nz> wrote in article
<01bc2f8d$60811de0$LocalHost@default>...

> Sorry to have to say this guys but you jetskiers really irk me.
> Every sunday for the last 5 years I used to go down to the local beach
for
> a swim windsurf or sail however recently there has been a number of
Jetskis
> out.

Last time I checked the beach and even the ocean was still public property.

> The reason most people go to the beach is too get away from it all the
> noise the pollution the hoons.....

Since when did the public elect you as there spokesperson?

> Jetskis represent to me nearly all of what I want to get away from. They
> are loud sounding like lawnmowers and pollute the water and in general
> wreck the whole atmosphere at the beach. They come buzzing in too within
> metres of the shore regardless off any swimmers and generally are hoons.

Maybe you should get your facts straight. Out of all ocean vessels,
jet-skis have probobally produced less than 1\10000 of the polution in the
water. Maybe the swimmers should think about using a pool. Who said
swimmers have more right to the ocean than riders?? Thwy take taxes out of
our checks too!!

> It seems to me that you guys are nothing more than petrol head middleaged
> males trying to regain their youths. YOu remain in my opinion cheats on
the
> water not using any of your own skill or strength to go fast instead
> showing off on these machines which do everything for you.

Nope, wrong again!! I am in the prime of my life (26) and as for these
machines doing everything for us I suggest you try riding my ski in as
small as 3 foot swells for about 4-6 hours. Obviously once again, you need
to get your facts straight.

why do you guys
> even bother going onto the water as to me what you do seems no different
> than driving a car.
> Most watermen-sailors surfers windsurfers divers have a special
attachment
> to the ocean using nature and skill for enjoyment really feeling the soul
> and essense of the sea. You guys don't have this and go on these machines
> to bring your power crazed minds onto the sea a place which is wild and
> beautiful but a place now which is underthreat by petrol heads showing
off.

Well with your reasoning I guess boaters and waterskeirs should give up
there hobbies also since they dont have to peddal them. You have lost me
when you compare a watercraft to a car. Obviously you have never been on a
PWC, and I have been swimming so I think I have more knowledge about both
subjects. BTW, I was also a lifeguard for 3 years so I have spent a hell
of a lot more time than just Sundays at the beach. Does that mean that I
have more of a right to the beach than you?? Just trying to under stand
your lack of logic.

Gregg Cohn

Mar 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/13/97

Lawrie Herd wrote:
[snip anti jetski venting]

Lawrie,

You've obviously never ridden one, judging by your comments. Try it once
and you'll feel a little differently. The ocean is a big place and there
should be more than enough room for all of us to enjoy it. I agree that
PWC and swimming do not mix. Are there designated swimming areas in NZ.
Are there any laws about where PWC(jet-skis) can operate, or the
distance from shore.

You are very wrong in your statement that we have no attachment to the
ocean or the environment. Why do you think we are out there? No skill
involved? Try riding one and you will see that there is quite a bit of
skill involved. By the way, in addition to loving to jet-ski, I am also
a diver, wind surfer, boogie boarder and sail ocasionally. I and many,
many other jet-skiers care about the environment, in fact some of us got
together and built an artificial reef off Florida to HELP the
environment.

Gregg Cohn
Santa Cruz, CA, USA

adam

Mar 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/13/97

I have to agree with this guy that Jet Skiers and boaters *can* be
annoying as hell, but that certainly doesn't mean that they all are,
or that they're any worse than any other group... And until you've sat
on both sides of the issue (ie on a Jet ski and on the beach) you
don't really understand what the other half thinks...

I do have a related question, tho -- what the hell makes Jet Skis so
loud?! I understand the performance side of all this; less
restrictive exhaust = more power, etc, etc... /BUT/ especially on
some of these 3 seater models and the like, why hasn't more effort
been put into quieting them down? Is it just because it's part of the
thrill? (hey, I love the deep loud exhaust note of my car, but once I
roll the windows up I want QUIET)

I had a little pre-jet-ski-era 2 person speedboat, and it was loud,
fun, and obnoxious... but the noise part at least was because it used
a traditional outboard motor.

Is it remotely possible to quiet down a 'ski without sacrificing huge
amounts of power? I want to get one this coming summer, but I'd be
riding it (at least 50' offshore) in relatively crowded, quiet beach
areas... There ARE the occasional idiots who will come in 20-30' off
the shoreline and "act cool" and it really is obnoxious.

How about it? Any way to retrofit Knight Rider's "silent mode" to a
Jet Ski? ;-) It seems to me that the long side areas of the hull
would be the perfect place for some custom mufflers...

Adam

ron emberton

Mar 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/13/97
to adam
jetskis are quiet. in racing we must maintain a noise level below 86
decibels

Christopher Paull

Mar 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/14/97

In article <33288f0c....@207.126.101.80>, ad...@gt.edu (adam) writes:

|> How about it? Any way to retrofit Knight Rider's "silent mode" to a
|> Jet Ski? ;-) It seems to me that the long side areas of the hull
|> would be the perfect place for some custom mufflers...
|>
|> Adam

PWC are no Louder than other outboards... In fact, some studies
show that they are quieter...

That aside...
There are a few companies that make aftermarket in line silencers.

I believe that some of these could be used in addition to the
standard stock waterbox/muffler...

However, I have not tried this myself, so I don't know how effective
it would be.

Check the magazines for more information.

--
Chris Paull -- cpa...@mti.sgi.com --
http://reality.sgi.com/employees/cpaull

Mike Cox

Mar 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/15/97

PWCs are loud and it does not make much difference if you are 30' from
shore of 50' from shore. Both numbers are too close for fast riding.

The exhaust systems are very effective on PWC, a more efficient exhaust
system will not do the trick. When I am on my GSX all I hear is the water
splashing beside me and the wind on my face. Its when you are standing on
shore that they are noisy.

The problem is the RPM at which the engines spin and the fact that they are
ridden WOT most of the time. The sound is more irritating than it is loud,
it is high pitched, and monotonous. Where I ride, there a lot of sport
powerboats with straight-out exhaust, two or three engines, etc. When they
take off, the sound is deafening but it seems to be much more acceptable.

PWCs will not be getting quieter in the near future. 4 stroke engines are
being tested right now. They won't rev like a 2 stroke and they are
generally much quieter but these 4 stroke PWC are not likely to make it to
the market any time soon. Consumers are not willing to give up
performance.

We have to respect those people that are on shore. There is no reason to
race along side a populated shoreline. We just have to ride slow, when we
ride slow, the engine noise is not a problem. Save the speed runs for
areas where nobody lives.

D.Young

Mar 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/15/97

Lawrie Herd wrote:

> Sorry to have to say this guys but you jetskiers really irk me.
> Every sunday for the last 5 years I used to go down to the local beach for
> a swim windsurf or sail however recently there has been a number of Jetskis
> out.
> The reason most people go to the beach is too get away from it all the
> noise the pollution the hoons.....
> Jetskis represent to me nearly all of what I want to get away from. They
> are loud sounding like lawnmowers and pollute the water and in general
> wreck the whole atmosphere at the beach. They come buzzing in too within
> metres of the shore regardless off any swimmers and generally are hoons.
> It seems to me that you guys are nothing more than petrol head middleaged
> males trying to regain their youths. YOu remain in my opinion cheats on the
> water not using any of your own skill or strength to go fast instead
> showing off on these machines which do everything for you. why do you guys

> even bother going onto the water as to me what you do seems no different
> than driving a car.
> Most watermen-sailors surfers windsurfers divers have a special attachment
> to the ocean using nature and skill for enjoyment really feeling the soul
> and essense of the sea. You guys don't have this and go on these machines
> to bring your power crazed minds onto the sea a place which is wild and
> beautiful but a place now which is underthreat by petrol heads showing off.

You must be the most retarded, tree-hugging piece of crap to ever make a
post on this ng. Just because you don't own a ski it must be the wrong
thing to do. People like you and the assholes in the EPA here in the
U.S. have alot in common. I suppose you dislike dirt bikes as well.
"Looks like there having far to much fun out there, better try and shut
them down". You are such a liberal piece of crap. I'm not going to
waste going to waste bandwidth on your dumb ass.

Larry KN4IM

Mar 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/16/97

"Lawrie Herd" <drh...@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

>Sorry to have to say this guys but you jetskiers really irk me.
>Every sunday for the last 5 years I used to go down to the local beach for
>a swim windsurf or sail however recently there has been a number of Jetskis
>out.
>The reason most people go to the beach is too get away from it all the
>noise the pollution the hoons.....
>Jetskis represent to me nearly all of what I want to get away from. They
>are loud sounding like lawnmowers and pollute the water and in general
>wreck the whole atmosphere at the beach. They come buzzing in too within
>metres of the shore regardless off any swimmers and generally are hoons.
>It seems to me that you guys are nothing more than petrol head middleaged
>males trying to regain their youths. YOu remain in my opinion cheats on the
>water not using any of your own skill or strength to go fast instead
>showing off on these machines which do everything for you. why do you guys
>even bother going onto the water as to me what you do seems no different
>than driving a car.
>Most watermen-sailors surfers windsurfers divers have a special attachment
>to the ocean using nature and skill for enjoyment really feeling the soul
>and essense of the sea. You guys don't have this and go on these machines
>to bring your power crazed minds onto the sea a place which is wild and
>beautiful but a place now which is underthreat by petrol heads showing off.

Lawrie has posted another, different article in rec.sport.jetski where
the surfers have formed some sort of JETSKI HATERS CLUB. I hope they
all will read my reply to that post and answer some questions about an
accident posted by Lawrie. I also hope this "club" doesn't result in
any kind of stupid action like assault, attempted murder or the like
which will result in them being jailed for long periods of time.

Lawrie, please read my reply to your post in rec.sport.jetski. Your
posts to our newsgroups will go mostly unheeded. We've learned that
the flames always follow our skis wherever we go so we all have Romex
underwear when we log in. I'd appreciate it if we knew more about
this accident so we jetskiiers, who don't hate surfers or anyone, can
learn from this accident to avoid the conditions that caused it to
occur in the future. Please read and reply calmly and without all the
"hater" innuendo so we can educate both sides in this issue.

Larry

MIKE CARTWRIGHT

Mar 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/16/97
to Lawrie Herd

far out man.......ya ought ta move to Leucadia and like.... bake bread
man.....

Greg Lambert

Mar 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/17/97

sniffle, sniffle, boo-hoo, sniffle...

--
Ultimately, in the end, I WILL find a way to drive my XP off the back of a Twin Otter into free fall.

Gregg Cohn

Mar 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/17/97

Robert Gruen wrote:
[snip]
> There is a guy where I ride who has run a straight pipe on his SeaDoo, it
> is VERY LOUD. I asked him about it, and it turns out that the guy is just
> a jerk. Only been riding for 2 years and is just out to piss everyone off.
> This boat is illegal and I am planning to report him the next time I see
> him. I will do this to protect my own right to ride, wouldn't you?
>
> JSB
> ?
Right on, man.! You spoke to him, he is aware of the problem now and
had a chance to fix it. Protect your right to ride!!!

Gregg "wants to be riding when they have to wheel me to my boat" Cohn
Santa Cruz, CA USA

*****

Mar 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/17/97

if you ever rode a pwc (note jet ski is a trade mark) or knew much
about the sport, you would find they are not louder then any race boat
you see, do not pollute the water, any more or less then careless beach
goes thowing trash around, and are a lot more fun then any other sport
you can think of in the water.

if you think the machine does all the work, i would invite you to a
test, you pick the machine of choice, never riding one, and go against
any seasoned pwc rider in a race course. when you finally make it
back, and wipe the smile off your face, he'll probably still buy you a
drink..being the nice guy most pwc riders are....even though he beat
bad....

In <01bc2f8d$60811de0$LocalHost@default> "Lawrie Herd"

Robert Gruen

Mar 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/17/97

Well, some simple thoughts on acoustics...

The fact is that a two stroke engine puts out 'pulses' that are generally
pretty high in tone. But, these pulses come out of the engine according to
the RPM of the engine. Thus 5000 RPM creates a composite tone of 83 Hz
pulses of an undeterminable tone (which is based on the volumes and
structures in the engine and exhaust). We all know that sound carries over
the water, because there is just nothing to absorb it, and there isn't
anything we can do about that.

Two things can be done to the tone however,

A) Alter it with a chamber (like a bandpass enclosure for a loudspeaker)
B) Convert the acoustic energy to mechanical energy (like a glass pack on a
car)

I have used these principles (and some others) to build a few waterbox
alternatives, and they do work much better than anything on the market (for
making the boat quiet), but engine noise through the hull is still enough
to offend most beach go-ers.

Although I usually am a high energy person myself, I do understand where
others are coming from. I have been riding for eight years now and I still
cringe when I see articles in the paper calling for bans on PWCs. To this
end I have always gone out of my way to make my boats quiet and unobtrusive
as possible.

BUT...

Christopher Paull

Mar 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/18/97

In article <01bc3326$fd8b7440$5dfe78c7@tigershark>, "Robert Gruen"

<bgr...@atldev.com> writes:
|> Well, some simple thoughts on acoustics...
|>
|> The fact is that a two stroke engine puts out 'pulses' that are
|> generally
|> pretty high in tone. But, these pulses come out of the engine according
|> the RPM of the engine. Thus 5000 RPM creates a composite tone of 83
|> Hz
|> pulses of an undeterminable tone (which is based on the volumes and
|> structures in the engine and exhaust). We all know that sound carries
|> over
|> the water, because there is just nothing to absorb it, and there isn't
|> anything we can do about that.

Good point, but this is also true of any 2 stroke outboard, not just PWC.

|> Two things can be done to the tone however,
|>
|> A) Alter it with a chamber (like a bandpass enclosure for a
|> loudspeaker)
|> B) Convert the acoustic energy to mechanical energy (like a glass pack
|> on a
|> car)
|>
|> I have used these principles (and some others) to build a few waterbox
|> alternatives, and they do work much better than anything on the market
|> (for
|> making the boat quiet), but engine noise through the hull is still
|> enough
|> to offend most beach go-ers.

Could you post some more details, I might be interested in
building something like this also.

|> Although I usually am a high energy person myself, I do understand
|> where
|> others are coming from. I have been riding for eight years now and I
|> still
|> cringe when I see articles in the paper calling for bans on PWCs. To
|> this
|> end I have always gone out of my way to make my boats quiet and
|> unobtrusive
|> as possible.

Agreed!!

|> BUT...
|>
|> There is a guy where I ride who has run a straight pipe on his SeaDoo,
|> it
|> is VERY LOUD. I asked him about it, and it turns out that the guy is
|> just
|> a jerk. Only been riding for 2 years and is just out to piss everyone
|> off.
|> This boat is illegal and I am planning to report him the next time I
|> see
|> him. I will do this to protect my own right to ride, wouldn't you?

Definitely... We don't need any more JERKS giving the rest of us
a bad image!! Report this guy ASAP... And let the officials know that
you are also a PWCer.

jha...@lava.net

Mar 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/19/97

ad...@gt.edu (adam) wrote:

> I do have a related question, tho -- what the hell makes Jet Skis so
> loud?! I understand the performance side of all this; less
> restrictive exhaust = more power, etc, etc...

Actually, a two-stroke needs some exhaust restriction. People who run
straight pipes on them are just pure stupid.

For best power you need an expansion chamber, and it's not hard to design
in a muffler that doesn't hurt power.

SP580

Mar 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/23/97

hey I hate to go against you but jet skis are not as loud as boats because
their decibal leval standard is lower,and they do not polute the ocean it
is the fisherman that throw their lunch in the water and the people with
big boats that have bathrooms, decide to dump their load in the midle of
the ocean. Well this is what pisses me off. You were totaly wrong in
saying that jet skiers are noisy and all that stuff.

ffior...@gmail.com

Aug 29, 2015, 4:27:15 PM8/29/15
I'll try to keep that in mind when i take my jet ski and go 80mph past your little wind surfing thing and spray the sh*t out of you. :)

js013...@hotmail.com

Nov 13, 2017, 10:17:29 PM11/13/17
On Thursday, March 13, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Lawrie Herd wrote:
> Sorry to have to say this guys but you jetskiers really irk me.
> Every sunday for the last 5 years I used to go down to the local beach for
> a swim windsurf or sail however recently there has been a number of Jetskis
> out.
> The reason most people go to the beach is too get away from it all the
> noise the pollution the hoons.....
> Jetskis represent to me nearly all of what I want to get away from. They
> are loud sounding like lawnmowers and pollute the water and in general
> wreck the whole atmosphere at the beach. They come buzzing in too within
> metres of the shore regardless off any swimmers and generally are hoons.
> It seems to me that you guys are nothing more than petrol head middleaged
> males trying to regain their youths. YOu remain in my opinion cheats on the
> water not using any of your own skill or strength to go fast instead
> showing off on these machines which do everything for you. why do you guys
> even bother going onto the water as to me what you do seems no different
> than driving a car.
> Most watermen-sailors surfers windsurfers divers have a special attachment
> to the ocean using nature and skill for enjoyment really feeling the soul
> and essense of the sea. You guys don't have this and go on these machines
> to bring your power crazed minds onto the sea a place which is wild and
> beautiful but a place now which is underthreat by petrol heads showing off.

waa, waa, waa. jet skis are so loud, waa. too much pollution, waa. Get your faggot ass out of here bitch.