newfs I/O error.

sammysammy

Sep 7, 2002, 11:43:55 PM9/7/02

I want to crecate a new fs for a hard disk, but it generated the
following err msg:

root@unixser2 ~ # newfs /dev/rdsk/c0t2d0s0
/dev/rdsk/c0t2d0s0: I/O error
root@unixser2 ~ #

The following is the prtvtoc output:
root@unixser2 ~ # prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c0t2d0s0
* /dev/rdsk/c0t2d0s0 partition map
*
* Dimensions:
* 512 bytes/sector
* 63 sectors/track
* 255 tracks/cylinder
* 16065 sectors/cylinder
* 4463 cylinders
* 4461 accessible cylinders
*
* Flags:
* 1: unmountable
* 10: read-only
*
* Unallocated space:
* First Sector Last
* Sector Count Sector
* 48195 71617770 71665964
*
* First Sector Last
* Partition Tag Flags Sector Count Sector Mount Directory
2 5 01 0 71665965 71665964
8 1 01 0 16065 16064
9 9 00 16065 32130 48194

Thanks
Sam

Dave Uhring

Sep 8, 2002, 1:40:06 AM9/8/02
sammysammy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to crecate a new fs for a hard disk, but it generated the
> following err msg:
>
> root@unixser2 ~ # newfs /dev/rdsk/c0t2d0s0

^^

> * First Sector Last
> * Partition Tag Flags Sector Count Sector Mount Directory
> 2 5 01 0 71665965 71665964
> 8 1 01 0 16065 16064
> 9 9 00 16065 32130 48194

Where is partition 0?

You have not formatted that disk yet.

sammysammy

Sep 8, 2002, 10:24:21 AM9/8/02

Is the option Format in the command format will do the formating for me?
It is still doing the formating now after 2 hours. Is it normal to take
so long on a 36G hard disk?

What should I do after the format operation finish?

Dave Uhring

Sep 8, 2002, 12:46:45 PM9/8/02
sammysammy wrote:

> Is the option Format in the command format will do the formating for
> me? It is still doing the formating now after 2 hours. Is it normal to
> take so long on a 36G hard disk?

Format is done almost instantly. Your output from prtvtoc must show
that you have created the partition which you are trying to build a new
filesytem on:

* /dev/rdsk/c0d1s0 (volume "disk2") partition map

*
* Dimensions:
* 512 bytes/sector
* 63 sectors/track

* 32 tracks/cylinder
* 2016 sectors/cylinder
* 58163 cylinders
* 58161 accessible cylinders

*
* Flags:
* 1: unmountable
* 10: read-only
*
* Unallocated space:
* First Sector Last
* Sector Count Sector

* 117248544 4032 117252575

*
* First Sector Last
* Partition Tag Flags Sector Count Sector Mount Directory

0 0 00 6048 1229760 1235807 /u02
1 0 00 1235808 1024128 2259935
2 5 01 0 117252576 117252575
3 0 00 2259936 114988608 117248543 /save1
8 1 01 0 2016 2015
9 9 00 2016 4032 6047

> What should I do after the format operation finish?

mkfs(1M) or newfs(1M)

But that took only a few minutes on a 60GB drive.

Bruce Adler

Sep 8, 2002, 8:38:25 PM9/8/02

"sammysammy" <mem...@dbforums.com> wrote in message news:1789818.1...@dbforums.com...

> Is the option Format in the command format will do the formating for me?
> It is still doing the formating now after 2 hours. Is it normal to take
> so long on a 36G hard disk?
>
> What should I do after the format operation finish?

You shouldn't run format.format, it's not going to do anything
useful and on many disks it takes a long time to finish. Nowadays,
there's no such thing as an unformatted disk that requires low-level
formatting. If your disk is less than ~8 years old, then the chances
are 99.9% that it's already formatted and physically reformatting
it isn't possible, and logically reformatting it does nothing but waste
time (unless the drive is smart and simply ignores the format command
and claims the format operation completed immediately).

Rather than randomly trying things you should go read the Sys Admin Guide
and learn the right way to set up a new disk:

http://docs.sun.com/?p=/doc/805-7228/6j6q7uetq&a=view

Or search through the google archives for any of the hundreds of
times that the question, "how do I init a new disk on Sx86?" has been
asked and answered.

sammysammy

Sep 8, 2002, 8:33:25 PM9/8/02

I finished newfs with the following command:

root@unixser2 ~ # newfs /dev/rdsk/c0t2d0s2
root@unixser2 ~ # mount /dev/rdsk/c0t2d0s2 /Projects
mount: /dev/rdsk/c0t2d0s2 not a block device
root@unixser2 ~ #

I also don't know why c0t2d0s0 failed with newfs.

SW

Sep 8, 2002, 10:15:56 PM9/8/02
I don't think I miss any of the steps when using format command before issue
a sub-format command. I use fdisk created an entire partion for the Solaris
type filesystem, and label it. Then newfs /dev/rdsk/c0t2d0p0 failed with I/O
error. Here is what I stuck with. I don't know why I/O has error with newfs.

Thanks
Sam

"Bruce Adler" <bruce.NxOxSx...@acm.org> wrote in message

Bruce Adler

Sep 8, 2002, 11:09:28 PM9/8/02

"SW" <s....@thales-is.com.hk> wrote in message news:alh09u$6g...@imsp212.netvigator.com...

> "Bruce Adler" <bruce.NxOxSx...@acm.org> wrote in message

> > Rather than randomly trying things you should go read the Sys Admin Guide
> > and learn the right way to set up a new disk:
> >
> > http://docs.sun.com/?p=/doc/805-7228/6j6q7uetq&a=view
> >
> > Or search through the google archives for any of the hundreds of
> > times that the question, "how do I init a new disk on Sx86?" has been
> > asked and answered.

> I don't think I miss any of the steps when using format command before issue

> a sub-format command. I use fdisk created an entire partion for the Solaris
> type filesystem, and label it. Then newfs /dev/rdsk/c0t2d0p0 failed with I/O
> error. Here is what I stuck with. I don't know why I/O has error with newfs.

I think you really don't have a good understanding of what a Solaris slice
is. I suggest you backup to at least Chapter 25 in Vol 1 of the Sys Admin
Guide and get a little background under your belt rather than jumping
right in to the middle of Chapter 31. You also need to learn to stop and
do some research when you encounter a technical term you don't fully
understand (rather than assuming you can guess at its meaning from the
context).

In fact you probably should start at Chapter 1 because your next set of
questions is probably going to be "how do I add a user?", or "how do I
install the latest Kernel Jumbo Patch?", or something else that's already
fully explained in the documentation.

If the Sys Admin Guide is too dry for you and/or if you prefer something
more chatty then maybe your local bookstore might have a Solaris 8 or 9
book that might be more helpful.

Dave Uhring

Sep 8, 2002, 11:31:09 PM9/8/02
SW wrote:

> I don't think I miss any of the steps when using format command before
> issue a sub-format command. I use fdisk created an entire partion for
> the Solaris type filesystem, and label it. Then newfs
> /dev/rdsk/c0t2d0p0 failed with I/O error. Here is what I stuck with. I

^^^^^^^^

> don't know why I/O has error with newfs.

The format utility will not create such a partition.

SW

Sep 8, 2002, 11:48:56 PM9/8/02
ok, I just made a mistake on about slice and parition. Now I deleted the
second partition and have the first partition increased to full partition.
Of course I know groudadd xxx; adduser -u 512 -g xxx -m -d /export/home/xxx
xxx stuff.

"Bruce Adler" <bruce.NxOxSx...@acm.org> wrote in message

SW

Sep 8, 2002, 11:53:28 PM9/8/02
I tried all the following command failed:

newfs /dev/dsk/c0t2d0s0
newfs /dev/dsk/c0t2d0s1
newfs /dev/dsk/c0t2d0s2
newfs /dev/dsk/c0t2d0p0

Here is the output of prtvtoc:
root@unixser2 ~ # prtvtoc /dev/dsk/c0t2d0s0
* /dev/dsk/c0t2d0s0 partition map

*
* Dimensions:
* 512 bytes/sector
* 63 sectors/track
* 255 tracks/cylinder
* 16065 sectors/cylinder
* 4463 cylinders
* 4461 accessible cylinders
*
* Flags:
* 1: unmountable
* 10: read-only
*
* Unallocated space:
* First Sector Last
* Sector Count Sector
* 48195 71617770 71665964
*
* First Sector Last
* Partition Tag Flags Sector Count Sector Mount Directory
2 5 01 0 71665965 71665964
8 1 01 0 16065 16064
9 9 00 16065 32130 48194

Thanks
sam
"Dave Uhring" <dmuh...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

cjt

Sep 9, 2002, 1:49:24 AM9/9/02
SW wrote:

> I tried all the following command failed:
>
> newfs /dev/dsk/c0t2d0s0
> newfs /dev/dsk/c0t2d0s1
> newfs /dev/dsk/c0t2d0s2
> newfs /dev/dsk/c0t2d0p0

Do you know what those final digits mean?

Well, that should tell you a lot.

SW

Sep 9, 2002, 2:54:48 AM9/9/02
I have now successfuly newfs and mounted the c0t2d0s2 slice to the /Projects
directory. Thanks for everyone's comment. Now I remember I did created an
incorrect partition in the first disk c0t0d0p0. I want to increate the p0
disk to full size of the hard disk. I have removed the second partition
(c0t0d0) in the first hard disk, how can I in create the first partition so
that it utilise 100% of the first hard disk?

Thanks
Sam

"cjt" <chel...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

Philip Brown

Sep 9, 2002, 3:39:23 PM9/9/02
On Mon, 9 Sep 2002 14:54:48 +0800, s....@thales-is.com.hk wrote:
>I have now successfuly newfs and mounted the c0t2d0s2 slice to the /Projects
>directory. Thanks for everyone's comment. Now I remember I did created an
>incorrect partition in the first disk c0t0d0p0. I want to increate the p0
>disk to full size of the hard disk.

you are still unclear on the concept.
c0t0d0p0 means "Access the raw disk in its entirety",
ignoring fdisk type partitions.

However, without fdisk partitions, it is rather difficult to BOOT.

Sounds like the simplest explaination for you, is:

reinstall solaris, but this time,choose "customise disk", and when the
fdisk partition tool comes up, choose "use entire disk for solaris"

S.1618 http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d105:SN01618:@@@D
http://www.spamlaws.com/state/ca1.html

SW

Sep 10, 2002, 1:03:19 AM9/10/02
Yeah, I have reinstall the whole system with custom option. But do you know
any procedure I can follow to reszie the partition? Sorry I am not too
familiar with Solaris's disk configuration.

Thanks
Sam

"Philip Brown" <phi...@bolthole.no-bots.com> wrote in message

Philip Brown

Sep 10, 2002, 5:12:36 PM9/10/02
On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 13:03:19 +0800, s....@thales-is.com.hk wrote:
>Yeah, I have reinstall the whole system with custom option. But do you know
>any procedure I can follow to reszie the partition? Sorry I am not too
>familiar with Solaris's disk configuration.

in the reinstall, you should have deleted the old fdisk partition, and then
it would have removed the old info, and made a new one for you.
Then you recreate the slices however you want, when it asks you about
filesystems. Again, choose the "customize" option, when it starts asking
about filesystem layout.

its a two-step process. You first set the "fdisk partition" up.
Once that is done, you lay out the solaris "slices" in that partition.

SW

Sep 11, 2002, 5:26:38 AM9/11/02
so I have to renstall this particular partition anyway.