Trump imposes 30 percent tariff on solar panel imports

Leroy N. Soetoro

Jan 24, 2018, 5:51:50 PM1/24/18
http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/370171-trump-imposes-30-
tariffs-on-solar-panel-imports

The move is a major blow for the $28 billion solar industry, which gets
about 80 percent of its solar panel products from imports.

The Solar Energy Industries Association predicted the tariffs would
increase prices and kill 23,000 jobs. The group represents manufacturers
as well as installers, sellers and others in the field.

“While tariffs in this case will not create adequate cell or module
manufacturing to meet U.S. demand, or keep foreign-owned Suniva and
SolarWorld afloat, they will create a crisis in a part of our economy that
has been thriving, which will ultimately cost tens of thousands of hard-
working, blue-collar Americans their jobs,” Abigail Ross Hopper, the
group's president, said in a statement.

Suniva and SolarWorld Americas, the bankrupt companies which requested the
tariffs, say tariffs would boost domestic manufacturing and add more than
100,000 jobs.

The tariffs unveiled Monday apply to all imported solar photovoltaic cells
and modules, the main technology on panels that convert solar energy into
electricity.

While the action is targeted at imports from China, Trump’s tariffs apply
to all imports, since Chinese manufacturers have moved operations to other
countries.

“The president’s action makes clear again that the Trump administration
will always defend American workers, farmers, ranchers and businesses in
this regard,” U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer said in a
statement Monday announcing the decision along with a decision to impose
tariffs on imported washers.

SolarWorld Americas, a unit of a German company, said in a statement that
it was grateful for Trump’s work, but it is still reviewing whether the
tariffs are high enough. It had sought 50 percent tariffs.

“We are still reviewing these remedies, and are hopeful they will be
enough to address the import surge and to rebuild solar manufacturing in
the United States,” Juergen Stein, the company’s CEO, said in a statement.

“We will work with the U.S. government to implement these remedies,
including future negotiations, in the strongest way possible to benefit
solar manufacturing and its thousands of American workers to ensure that
U.S. solar manufacturing is world-class competitive for the long term.”

Suniva, meanwhile, cheered the tariffs.

"Over the last 5 years, nearly 30 American solar manufacturers collapsed;
today the President is sending a message that American innovation and
manufacturing will not be bullied out of existence without a fight," the
company said. "This is a step forward for this high-tech solar
manufacturing industry we pioneered right here in America.”
The move is the first major tariff decision Trump has made unilaterally in
office. Through his presidential campaign and his first year in office,
Trump repeatedly promised to aggressively go after China and other nations
that he feels conduct unfair trade practices and hurt domestic industries.

The new tariff falls to 25 percent after a year, and then 20 percent and
15 percent each year after, before phasing out entirely. The first 2.5
gigawatts of imports each year are exempt.

Solar panels already are subject to significant tariffs when imported from
China and Taiwan.

Suniva and SolarWorld Americas requested tariffs of 50 percent on imported
panels last year, saying their operations were decimated by cheap imports.
The International Trade Commission endorsed tariffs of up to 35 percent
after it ruled that domestic manufacturers suffered "serious injury" from
the imports, a finding required to impose tariffs under Section 201 of the
Trade Act of 1974.

Most of the rest of the solar industry, including installers and companies
that make related technology, oppose the tariffs, saying they would
threaten tens of thousands of jobs.

The right-wing R Street Institute said Trump's decision was a
disappointing loss for free trade.

“More good-paying jobs will be jeopardized by today’s decision than could
possibly be saved by bailing out the bankrupt companies that petitioned
for protection," said Clark Packard, trade policy counsel for the group.
"Today's decision also will jeopardize the environment by making clean
energy sources less affordable."

The tariffs have attracted opposition from numerous corners, including
renewable energy industries, environmentalists, free-market advocates,
conservative activists and advocates for other energy sources.

The dispute is likely to be settled eventually by the Switzerland-based
World Trade Organization (WTO), where China and other countries are nearly
certain to challenge the tariffs as a violation of international law.

The provision under which Trump took action has been used rarely, and its
tariffs are almost always struck down by the WTO. The last time it was
used was in 2001 for steel imports, and the WTO overturned the penalties.

truck.

of the Obama presidency.

The World According To Garp.

ObamaCare is a total 100% failure and no lie that can be put forth by its
supporters can dispute that.

Obama jobs, the result of ObamaCare. 12-15 working hours a week at minimum
wage, no benefits and the primary revenue stream for ObamaCare. It can't
be funded with money people don't have, yet liberals lie about how great
it is.

Obama increased total debt from $10 trillion to $20 trillion in the eight
years he was in office, and sold out heterosexuals for Hollywood queer
liberal democrat donors.

7

Jan 24, 2018, 6:33:59 PM1/24/18
Leroy N. Soetoro wrote:

> http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/370171-trump-imposes-30-> tariffs-on-solar-panel-imports
>
> The move is a major blow for the $28 billion solar industry

Doubt it. USA customers will have to pay double (the intention
all along of scandal hit electric utility cumpanies to inflict
on USA people after the scandal of having to pay them for you
fitting solar on your own *fscking* roof).

And China can gift those solar panels to rest of the world
at even more lower prices where they are gratefully welcomed
to rid the world of dodgy electric power supply grids in
many a countries and bring them up more quickly.
All thanks to USA.

Anonymous

Jan 24, 2018, 8:38:57 PM1/24/18
In article <XnsA874972E93...@0.0.0.1>
"Leroy N. Soetoro" <leroys...@bho-rejected.com> wrote:

> http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/370171-trump-imposes-30-
> tariffs-on-solar-panel-imports
>
> The move is a major blow for the consumer, who will now pay more for them.

#FuckTrump