Solar Driveway Heater

RABSparks

Dec 9, 2002, 10:45:31 AM12/9/02
I have an 1100 ft. long/9 ft. wide driveway that runs east/west and therefore
doesn't get enough sun light to melt the snow/ice each winter. I have been
thinking about a solar hotwater system (closed loop) which would circulate
heated water before a storm hit and throughout the night (if necessary) to keep
the driveway passable.

I have two basic questions. First, is this even feasible given that the pump
would have to be sized to handle the flow through at least 2200 ft of tubing,
and the tubing would have to be placed at least 2 inches below grade? Second
has this been done/anyone know of companies that can design this type of
system?

thanks,
rick

Nick Pine

Dec 9, 2002, 12:41:18 PM12/9/02
RABSparks <rabs...@aol.comnospam> wrote:

>I have an 1100 ft. long/9 ft. wide driveway that runs east/west and therefore
>doesn't get enough sun light to melt the snow/ice each winter. I have been
>thinking about a solar hotwater system (closed loop) which would circulate
>heated water before a storm hit and throughout the night (if necessary) to
>keep the driveway passable.

Why heated water? You might pump wellwater through it and dump it back
into the well. How about two runs right under typical tire tracks? With
55 F water, 2" of Toby's "R0.83 dirt" might melt (55-32)/1.6/144 = 0.1
pounds of snow (about 1") per hour. I guess you'd have to make sure it
drains vs freezes inside the tube.

Another alternative might be an antifreeze loop heated by a long low
reflective solar trough along the north edge of the driveway.

Nick

cvhol...@gmail.com

May 10, 2013, 9:36:42 AM5/10/13
Does anyone know of a solar powered heating system that does not use water? I am thinking of a wire system that has small solar capture posts that I can install along the length of our 800 feet of driveway.

thanks!
Caren

Bob F

May 10, 2013, 9:51:25 AM5/10/13
I am sure that to have any real effect, the solar collecting area should
probably exceed the area of the driveway substantially. In either case.

Mho

Jun 2, 2013, 9:36:18 PM6/2/13
You can't afford the costs!

Driveway snow heaters have to not only melt the snow but heat until it is
dry so you don't create an ice rink. The energy requirements are huge! Do
you live in a warm climate?

Morris Dovey

Jun 2, 2013, 10:21:08 PM6/2/13
On 5/10/13 8:36 AM, cvhol...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, December 9, 2002 10:46:31 AM UTC-5, RABSparks wrote:
>> I have an 1100 ft. long/9 ft. wide driveway that runs east/west and
>> therefore doesn't get enough sun light to melt the snow/ice each
>> winter. I have been thinking about a solar hotwater system (closed
>> loop) which would circulate heated water before a storm hit and
>> throughout the night (if necessary) to keep the driveway passable.
>>
>> I have two basic questions. First, is this even feasible given that
>> the pump would have to be sized to handle the flow through at least
>> 2200 ft of tubing, and the tubing would have to be placed at least
>> 2 inches below grade? Second has this been done/anyone know of
>> companies that can design this type of system?
>
> Does anyone know of a solar powered heating system that does not use
> water? I am thinking of a wire system that has small solar capture
> posts that I can install along the length of our 800 feet of
> driveway.

There isn�t enough information to give a good answer, but in most places
the cost-effective solution will probably be a yard tractor / mower with
a front-mounted snowblower. I used an 18hp Allis with chains and
wheelweights, mower deck removed for winter, and a 4'-wide snowblower in
Minnesota after I got tired of shoveling my 600' driveway by hand.

If you can dig down 6' or so, you may be able to design a passive
geothermal (air) solution, but it probably won�t be as inexpensive as
the tractor / snowblower solution.

--
Morris Dovey
http://www.iedu.com/Solar/

713coo...@gmail.com

Mar 27, 2015, 3:20:35 PM3/27/15
Solar designer willing to design & build
(Serious inquiries only)

713coo...@gmail.com

Mar 27, 2015, 3:29:07 PM3/27/15
Using a tankless water heater
Along with solar pump
Closed looped system
A little costly but same tank can be used in
Home, eliminating hot water tank
& Itz all #Solar
Just gave that one away
But Itz SIMPLE &