Did you build a prototype remote solar vpn server of $150USD spare parts in garage at home?

Anitov L.

Jan 26, 2014, 1:21:12 PM1/26/14
For fun & profit, I will like to design a cheap "droppable"
VPN server that will be placed a mile or so away from a
a known wifi hotspot, where the portable device would serve
as a portable vpn server on the internet.

My prototype budget is about $150 US Dollars.

I do not see this has been done before, so here my idea for
your review. Your experience & knowledge would be highly
appreciated. I'm thinking of selling these when I can
make them more cheap. I have not built it yet so I
only are in the start of prototype idea stages.

PROTOTYPE:
1. RADIO.
2. COMPUTER.
3. POWER.

RADIO:
a. Any small 12VDC wifi radio & router should work.
b. Maybe the Ubiquiti NanoStation Loco M2 perhaps?
c. Prototype cost is near $50 US Dollars.

COMPUTER:
a. Any cheap computer board with Ethernet & USB should work.
b. Maybe the Raspberry Pi Model B should work?
c. Prototype cost is near $35 US Dollars.

POWER:
a. Need only charges & supplies 12 volts should work.
b. Maybe this Amazon 6W solar panel should work?
http://www.amazon.com/6-Watt-Solar-Battery-Charger-Maintainer/dp/B002KJHFSO
c. Maybe a 12VCD gel battery should also work.
d. Prototype cost is near $40 US Dollars for the solar panel.
e. Prototype cost is near $15 US Dollars for the 12VCD battery.

I have not built this yet, before I go in wrong directions, I would
enjoy to ask if you have better ideas for parts to improve
specifications or to keep the prototype costs down.

Your helping ideas are much welcome ahead of time!

Nuncio Tangafino

Jan 27, 2014, 12:10:06 AM1/27/14
On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 18:21:12 +0000, Anitov L. wrote:

> here my idea for your review.

Nobody have ideas to improve it?

Nuncio Tangafino

Jan 27, 2014, 1:08:00 AM1/27/14
On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 05:10:06 +0000, Nuncio Tangafino wrote:

> Nobody have ideas to improve it?

I can build without more ideas.
But would like to know how you fixed problem.
If not answers, I will fix myself.

Lu Wei

Jan 28, 2014, 4:36:03 AM1/28/14
What is the radio part for? If that part depends on an existing WIFI
signal to work, then computer part can do already.

--
Regards,
Lu Wei