Which is better: Power Pulse or DeSulfator?

Steven Wong

Jan 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/5/99
I need recommendation on these battery pulse conditioners/sulfate
removers. I'm quite confident that they do work, but now that there is
DeSulfator, Power Pulse is no longer the clear choice. Power Pulse
draws only 4 mA, but DeSulfator draws 16 mA. Power Pulse is fixed
frequency, but DeSulfator is variable frequency. I'm not sure how big a
deal is variable frequency. Does anyone have any experience or
knowledge they can share?
* Do NOT modify my e-mail address for correspondence.
* It is valid as stated.

Michael Thomas

Jan 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/5/99
The home page for this product is at:

http://www.innovativeenergy.com/

To reply by E-Mail, remove "nixspam" from address

"Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before".
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Andy

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99
Michael Thomas wrote:

> The home page for this product is at:
>
> http://www.innovativeenergy.com/
>
> On Tue, 05 Jan 1999 00:16:09 -0800, Steven Wong
> <nospa...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> >I need recommendation on these battery pulse conditioners/sulfate
> >removers. I'm quite confident that they do work, but now that there is
> >DeSulfator, Power Pulse is no longer the clear choice. Power Pulse
> >draws only 4 mA, but DeSulfator draws 16 mA. Power Pulse is fixed
> >frequency, but DeSulfator is variable frequency. I'm not sure how big a
> >deal is variable frequency. Does anyone have any experience or
> >knowledge they can share?
> >--

I also would like to learn more of the pulsing
technique -- technical details such as pulse
width, frequency, and amplitude.....

If anyone knows a patent number I can look up
it might be handy also.

Thanks........... Andy in Dallas

Raul Almquist

Jan 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/7/99
> > >I need recommendation on these battery pulse conditioners/sulfate
> > >removers. I'm quite confident that they do work, but now that there is
> > >DeSulfator, Power Pulse is no longer the clear choice. Power Pulse
> > >draws only 4 mA, but DeSulfator draws 16 mA. Power Pulse is fixed
> > >frequency, but DeSulfator is variable frequency. I'm not sure how big a
> > >deal is variable frequency. Does anyone have any experience or
> > >knowledge they can share?

> I also would like to learn more of the pulsing

> technique -- technical details such as pulse
> width, frequency, and amplitude.....

Its been around for a while, although not quite as long on the alt
energy front. I have seen AC battery charger/conditioners with pulse
charging for some time now.

It does make sense though, after all why can't one frequency break down,
I know a range of frequencies can weld materials together (worked in the
ultrasonic welding and cutting engineering field for a little while).
Although, I would wonder about that frequency shifting leaking thru the
whole power system as some kind of noise.
--
BulkMailers and Email address compilers may purchase this
individual email address for $25000.00 for use in their

Steven Wong

Jan 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/7/99
From the spec. sheet of the variable frequency DeSulfator:

Pulse Frequency Sweep: 10,000-100,000 Hz
Pulse width @12V: 50%

The Power Pulse is fixed frequency and I think the exact freq. is
patented. I don't know what it is though.

Please note that these pulse desulfators have nothing in common with the
PWM(pulse width modulation) concept in battery charge controllers.

Andy wrote:
> I also would like to learn more of the pulsing
> technique -- technical details such as pulse
> width, frequency, and amplitude.....

Graham Barron

Jan 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/19/99
If you have sulphated batteries lead acid batteries, replace them. Sulfate
removers provide temporary relief only.

Steven Wong wrote:

> I need recommendation on these battery pulse conditioners/sulfate
> removers. I'm quite confident that they do work, but now that there is
> DeSulfator, Power Pulse is no longer the clear choice. Power Pulse
> draws only 4 mA, but DeSulfator draws 16 mA. Power Pulse is fixed
> frequency, but DeSulfator is variable frequency. I'm not sure how big a
> deal is variable frequency. Does anyone have any experience or
> knowledge they can share?

Louis Bybee

Jan 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/19/99
to Graham Barron
I used to think the same. I bought one of the units mentioned in the
subject line, with a huge level of disbelief. I am now a believer. They
are not a save all. If there is physical damage to the plates, you are
out of luck. If sulfation is the only problem, they work. I have brought
back batteries that wouldn't even take a charge. They are costly, and
not worth it (they cost more than a high quality car battery) for
average vehicle applications in my opinion. That opinion changes with a
costly deep cycle battery array.

Louis

Steven Wong

Jan 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/19/99
You may be correct with respect to batteries that are already heavily
sulfated, but my intent is really to use a sulfate remover as a
preventive measure on a new battery. I just installed a new battery on
my car a month ago and I want to keep it for more than 4 to 5 years.
Cost vs. expected benefits aside, I just think that maybe the sulfate
removers would help.

Have you had an actual negative experience with either PowerPulse or
DeSulfator to indicate that they only provide temporary relief? If so I
would like to hear more about it. Also, when you said "temporary
relief", it could mean a year, 2 years, 3 years, or a month, 2 months,
etc. You know what I mean? Just what exactly did you mean by
"temporary"?

Graham Barron wrote:

> If you have sulphated batteries lead acid batteries, replace them. Sulfate
> removers provide temporary relief only.

Louis Bybee

Jan 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/20/99
to Steven Wong
I have two units made by one of the vendors in the subject line. One is
used as a preventive measure on a specialty vehicle that is stored
during the winter months (after loosing two batteries in two seasons,
even with occasional charging). The second one was purchased to avoid
having to remove the first one to use on friends sulfated batteries they
bring by to see if they can be recovered (to cheap to buy their own
unit). I have not been able to recover all the batteries that I've tried
to. I suspect there was mechanical damage to the plates. Many of the
batteries I've recovered are still in use. If the battery is not heavily
sulfated, I would think that would be a plus, as serious sulfation would
cause damage to the plates that can't be reversed. One might be
successful in transferring the sulfation back into solution, but I don't
think the battery would ever have the original capacity because of the
mechanical damage. The place I bought mine believed enough in the
product to agree to my condition that if the unit didn't perform as
represented I could return it within one year. It did, and I wont.

My only complaint is that I think the units are over priced. They aren't
that complicated, and I would guess the profit ratio is quite high.
Possibly with competition that will change.

Louis

Graham Barron

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
Ok Folks

If you are happy with your current de-sulphation cures use them and ignore my
installing and maintaining Marine Radio Navigation solar power supply systems
and Solar Radio Telecommunication power supplies. I have never been able to
satisfactorally recover sulphated batteries. (By this I am referring to
batteries that are approximately 25% or greater sulphated ).

Also for general info I run the bulk of my house on a combination of solar and
wind power. I have 700 watts of solar panels and a 200 watt wind turbine that
charge a 660 amphour battery bank (660A/H @the ten hour rate), which feeds a
pure sinewave 24V to 240Volt 3.5Kilowatt inverter. The batteries and inverter
are Australian made (although I have modified the inverter to lift the
efficiency from 93% to 97%). The wind turbine is British and the solar
regulator is my own design.

How much does your de-sulphation product cost? and how do you determine value
for money?

Graham Barron wrote:

> If you have sulphated batteries lead acid batteries, replace them. Sulfate
> removers provide temporary relief only.
>

> Steven Wong wrote:
>
> > I need recommendation on these battery pulse conditioners/sulfate
> > removers. I'm quite confident that they do work, but now that there is
> > DeSulfator, Power Pulse is no longer the clear choice. Power Pulse
> > draws only 4 mA, but DeSulfator draws 16 mA. Power Pulse is fixed
> > frequency, but DeSulfator is variable frequency. I'm not sure how big a
> > deal is variable frequency. Does anyone have any experience or
> > knowledge they can share?

Gerry Schneider

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
Graham Barron wrote:
<snip good tech stuff>

> charge a 660 amphour battery bank (660A/H @the ten hour rate), which feeds a
> pure sinewave 24V to 240Volt 3.5Kilowatt inverter. The batteries and inverter
> are Australian made (although I have modified the inverter to lift the
> efficiency from 93% to 97%).

You got 97% out of a pure sine inverter at 3.5 kilowatts??? DUDE! Let me
guess, inductors the size of a briefcase and about 100 paralleled
MOSFETs? Could you share the secrets?

Cheers,
--
Gerry
@ Change "not_here" to "lsb"

Steven Wong

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
Graham Barron wrote:

> How much does your de-sulphation product cost? and how do you determine value
> for money?

The units I'm looking at cost around $75 each, whereas my new car
battery only cost me $40 at Costco. From a strictly cost point of view
there is never any reason to buy a sulfate remover for cheap car
batteries. I'm not going to argue with that. On the other hand, many,
if not most, people who are fans of renewable energy sources care more
than just costs. I want to be able to keep my car battery in operable
condition for many years, not because I want to save a few bucks, far
from it, but because there is a sense of experimentation, a sense of
suspense, a sense of excitement, a sense of anticipation, and even a
sense of accomplishment in seeing that a battery that can normally last
an average of only 4 years can possibly be stretched to 6, 7, 8, or even
10 or more years. To me, all of those things(experimentation, suspense,
excitement, anticipation, accomplishment) readily justify the $75
cost. It's a totally illogical decision, but human beings are rarely
always logical, are we? Hopefully, with competition, the cost for these
sulfate removers will come down drastically in the next few years.

sing...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2017, 1:35:44 AM8/23/17
Hello Steve Wong,

Sorry to resurrect old emails.
I do interest with power pulse, what to know your experiments result.
Could you please share the information.

TIA,
Singachu