(Wrestling dying) Why did wrestling die?

B. Higinbotham

Dec 2, 2012, 5:04:55 AM12/2/12
Pro-wrestling is obviously dead, but what killed it?

WWF monopolizing the biz by buying WCW and ECW?

HHH marrying Stephanie McMahon fo realz?

Smark idol Chris Benoit murdering his human family? (brofist for sparing
the dogs)

John Cena?

just john

Dec 2, 2012, 5:36:53 AM12/2/12
On 12/2/12 5:04 AM, B. Thingamabob wrote:
> Pro-wrestling is obviously dead, but what killed it?

I was in the fourth row at the House of Hardcore show in Poughkeepsie,
back in October.

Pro wrestling isn't dead. Maybe it's you.

--
* Radio Free Entropy: http://just-john.com/jjMusic

an...@samerica.co

Dec 2, 2012, 8:40:04 AM12/2/12
On Sun, 02 Dec 2012 05:36:53 -0500, just john
<teuy...@sneakemail.com> wrote:

>On 12/2/12 5:04 AM, B. Thingamabob wrote:
>> Pro-wrestling is obviously dead, but what killed it?
>>

>I was in the fourth row at the House of Hardcore show in Poughkeepsie,
>back in October.
>
>Pro wrestling isn't dead. Maybe it's you.

And if he begins to smell...

rwa2play, The Northern Lariat

Dec 2, 2012, 12:08:05 PM12/2/12
On 12/2/2012 5:04 AM, B. Higinbotham wrote:
> Pro-wrestling is obviously dead, but what killed it?

Wrestling itself isn't dead. Japan and the likes of ROH say
differently. Wrestling's gone the way more like Jazz IMHO; used to have
a huge following but now it's gone back to its niche roots.

--
rwa2play, The Northern Lariat
Knockouts rule, Divas drool.

"You tell me it's the institution
Well you know
You better free your mind instead." -- John Lennon, Revolution 1.

dvdvr poster

Dec 2, 2012, 12:12:57 PM12/2/12
"rwa2play, The Northern Lariat" <rwa2...@gFARKSPAMmail.com> wrote in

> On 12/2/2012 5:04 AM, B. Higinbotham wrote:
>> Pro-wrestling is obviously dead, but what killed it?
>

> Wrestling itself isn't dead. Japan and the likes of ROH say
> differently. Wrestling's gone the way more like Jazz IMHO; used to have
> a huge following but now it's gone back to its niche roots.

Only idiots like ROH. It stopped being good after its glory years of 2004-
2006. The wrestling purist/smark crowds have stopped watching ROH and have
gone to PWG and Chikara.

annf...@yahoo.com

Dec 2, 2012, 12:43:30 PM12/2/12

It was when Johnny Powers kicked Bull-dog Brower's ass.

rwa2play, The Northern Lariat

Dec 2, 2012, 1:02:13 PM12/2/12
True; I guess PWG and Chikara are now the "it" wrestling promotions to
follow.

That and the fact Manami Toyota went to Chikara for a couple of runs
there was pretty cool too.

--
rwa2play, The Northern Lariat
Nice to talk wrestling for once...

Jr.

Dec 2, 2012, 5:00:54 PM12/2/12
Pro wrestling died when Vince McMahon killed it by having his programs more
like a soap opera than a sports show.

All wrestling is right now is hyping the matches for the upcoming PPV by
talking for 15 minutes and wrestling for 5.

Karolina Dean...Big money STILL weaves a mighty web...

Dec 2, 2012, 5:23:02 PM12/2/12
Especially when Bonnie hammer told Mcmahon to make Raw more "soapy"
for big $$$ USA pays WWE

rwa2play, The Northern Lariat

Dec 2, 2012, 7:10:56 PM12/2/12
On 12/2/2012 5:00 PM, Jr. wrote:
> Pro wrestling died when Vince McMahon killed it by having his programs
> more like a soap opera than a sports show.

Uh, if you really take time to ponder this, the only difference is the
quality of angles/storytelling/workrate. Wrestling's been a "soap
opera" for decades in any and every promotion that's been around since
the 60s/70s.

Vince killed it by having that one megastar that crossed over into the
mainstream; thereby putting pressure on the other promoters to either
find their own crossover star or differentiating themselves from Vince's
product.

Also didn't help that politics and/or financial issues, in one form or
another, took the legs out from under a lot of promotions.

> All wrestling is right now is hyping the matches for the upcoming PPV
> by talking for 15 minutes and wrestling for 5.

IOW: See the end of WCW's run.

--
rwa2play, The Northern Lariat
Knockouts rule, Divas drool.

Jason Todd Will NEVER Stop Gloating!

Dec 3, 2012, 12:34:52 PM12/3/12
On Dec 2, 5:04 am, B. Higinbotham
1) I'll give you #1

2) Taking WWE Public. Argh.

3) After blowing their wad in the "Attitude Era" was there anywhere to
go for WWE except down?

4) Rock got too famous for the ring.

5) Stone Cold couldn't wrestle anymore.

6) Defections (Kurt Angle, Christian, Dudleys) age/injuries (HBK,
Undertaker, Rey), requests for time off (Jericho)
a combination of all three (Jeff Hardy)

7) On the heels of 3, 4, 5, and 6, WWE just couldn't capture that
lightning in a bottle again, and couldn't
come up with stars to replace those guys.

8) IMHO, everybody now wrestles the same style. There's nobody with
their own special individual look anymore. This is partly to
avoid injuries, but I think it's also to make sure nobody overshadows
guys with less workrate (aka John Cena Superstar)

Jason

just john

Dec 3, 2012, 8:28:34 PM12/3/12
Too many body builders and pretty boys.

Not enough midgets.

rwa2play, The Northern Lariat

Dec 3, 2012, 8:41:04 PM12/3/12
On 12/3/2012 12:34 PM, Jason Todd Will NEVER Stop Gloating! wrote:
> On Dec 2, 5:04 am, B. Higinbotham
> <fr...@spamexpire-201212.rodent.frell.theremailer.net> wrote:
>> Pro-wrestling is obviously dead, but what killed it?
>>
>> WWF monopolizing the biz by buying WCW and ECW?
>>
>> HHH marrying Stephanie McMahon fo realz?
>>
>> Smark idol Chris Benoit murdering his human family? (brofist for sparing
>> the dogs)
>>
>> John Cena?
> 1) I'll give you #1
>
> 2) Taking WWE Public. Argh.
>
> 3) After blowing their wad in the "Attitude Era" was there anywhere to
> go for WWE except down?

Yeah but...this far down? I mean even the mid-90s WWE seems better than
what they have now.

> 4) Rock got too famous for the ring.

Better for the Rock for two reasons: 1) Was he really gonna dominate the
WWE landscape when a rival is the son-in-law of the owner? 2) Less wear
and tear on his body as he turns older. I mean, they practically have
to carry the UT out in a gurney nowadays.

> 5) Stone Cold couldn't wrestle anymore.

Sadly true. When Owen injured him, we all knew his career wouldn't last
long after that. Had he not been injured however, could have have faced
the same fate as the Rock?

> 6) Defections (Kurt Angle, Christian, Dudleys) age/injuries (HBK,
> Undertaker, Rey), requests for time off (Jericho)
> a combination of all three (Jeff Hardy)

Also: Brock taking his ball and going home when he should've been patient.

> 7) On the heels of 3, 4, 5, and 6, WWE just couldn't capture that
> lightning in a bottle again, and couldn't
> come up with stars to replace those guys.

For historical context: See Vince trying to turn Luger into Hulk Hogan
2.0 during the mid-90s.

> 8) IMHO, everybody now wrestles the same style. There's nobody with
> their own special individual look anymore. This is partly to
> avoid injuries, but I think it's also to make sure nobody overshadows
> guys with less workrate (aka John Cena Superstar)

Ehhh, TNA wrestles with a lot less of the restrictions that the WWE
has. Not to mention places like ROH, Chikara, et. al.

just john

Dec 3, 2012, 8:48:28 PM12/3/12
On 12/3/12 8:41 PM, rwa2play, The Northern Lariat wrote:

>> 6) Defections (Kurt Angle, Christian, Dudleys) age/injuries (HBK,
>> Undertaker, Rey), requests for time off (Jericho)
>> a combination of all three (Jeff Hardy)
>
> Also: Brock taking his ball and going home when he should've been patient.

I just assumed everybody agreed with me that Lesnar has the charisma of
an angry stick of margarine, and the WWE finally realized that.

But if others like him, I guess that's their prerogative.

Bob Robertson

Dec 3, 2012, 9:03:56 PM12/3/12
A wrestling maven. Huh, who'd a guessed it?

just john

Dec 3, 2012, 9:08:24 PM12/3/12

%

Dec 3, 2012, 9:14:07 PM12/3/12
i pinned him already

Bob Robertson

Dec 3, 2012, 9:41:51 PM12/3/12
On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 21:08:24 -0500, just john
<teuy...@sneakemail.com> wrote:

>On 12/3/12 9:03 PM, Bob Robertson wrote:
>> On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 20:48:28 -0500, just john
>> <teuy...@sneakemail.com> wrote:

>>> I just assumed everybody agreed with me that Lesnar has the charisma of
>>> an angry stick of margarine, and the WWE finally realized that.
>>>
>>> But if others like him, I guess that's their prerogative.
>>
>> A wrestling maven. Huh, who'd a guessed it?
>>

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maven_Huffman

My aren't you the clever one. But musicians usually are.

Bob Robertson

Dec 3, 2012, 9:42:43 PM12/3/12
And the referee counts one tHO THREE he's OUUUUUUT!

%

Dec 3, 2012, 9:48:50 PM12/3/12
ding ding ding

Bob Robertson

Dec 3, 2012, 9:49:38 PM12/3/12
AND WE HAVE A WINNER *** WORLD WRESTLING CHAMPION %!
next you wrestle the law of gravity until it crys uncle

%

Dec 3, 2012, 10:08:10 PM12/3/12
first we have to have a big talk it up insult session ,
to raise the hype for the match , oh yea , oh yea gravity ,
well you suck

Bob Robertson

Dec 3, 2012, 10:12:30 PM12/3/12
Gravity can't keep a good man down. : )

%

Dec 3, 2012, 10:31:22 PM12/3/12
nothing beats the %

Uncle Steve

Dec 4, 2012, 2:43:01 AM12/4/12
Well as gravity is entirely subjective, your point is obvious.

Regards,

Uncle Steve

--
Until the progrss of elementary education in our day, our peasants had
not abandoned a single one of their little Gualish gods. The cult of

Uncle Steve

Dec 4, 2012, 2:49:56 AM12/4/12
When are you morons going to band together and have your little Day
One where you murder all the people who don't share your affinity for
stupidity and mindless sociology? Note that it was done before by the
Khmer Rouge, so it's not like you'll inadvertently sully your moron-
ideology with something new.

I'm sure it will be a great day where you'll truly do what you will do
without thoughts of their meaning or import.

Lord Infomouse

Dec 4, 2012, 11:05:58 AM12/4/12

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Santo

--
Who told you to think?
I don't give you enough

%

Dec 4, 2012, 11:22:36 AM12/4/12

Lord Infomouse wrote:
> On 12/3/2012 6:28 PM, just john wrote:
>> Too many body builders and pretty boys.
>>
>> Not enough midgets.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Santo

because people like the fartva watch it

Bob Robertson

Dec 4, 2012, 8:05:15 PM12/4/12
On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 02:49:56 -0500, Uncle Steve <stev...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Don't worry your little lost brain cell Steevie. On mass murder day
you'll be too drunk to be noticed.

Uncle Steve

Dec 4, 2012, 10:17:49 PM12/4/12
Did someone tell you to trivialize everything or is it something you
came up with all on your own?

Bob Robertson

Dec 5, 2012, 8:12:55 PM12/5/12
On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 22:17:49 -0500, Uncle Steve <stev...@gmail.com>
Did that little voice inside your head make you call everyone a nazi
or was it that bottle of booze you just guzzled?

Fondest regards,

Bob Robertson