WHERE DID THE SAYING PISS POOR COME FROM?......

Bigbazza

May 25, 2010, 10:54:32 PM5/25/10
LOL....My young 11 year old nephew just sent me this, he's home today from
school 'sick'..........

WHERE DID THE SAYING PISS POOR COME FROM?

They used to use urine to tan animal skins, so families used to all pee in a
pot & then once a day it was taken & sold to the tannery.......if you had to
do this to survive you were "Piss Poor" But worse than that were the
really poor folk who couldn't even afford to buy a pot......they "didn't
have a pot to piss in" & were the lowest of the low....

The next time you are washing your hands and complain because the water
temperature isn't just how you like it, think about how things used to be.
Here are some facts about the 1500s:

Most people got married in June because they took their yearly bath in May,
and they still smelled pretty good by June.. However, since they were
starting to smell .. .. . brides carried a bouquet of flowers to hide the
body odor. Hence the custom today of carrying a bouquet when getting
married.

Baths consisted of a big tub filled with hot water. The man of the house had
the privilege of the nice clean water, then all the other sons and men, then
the women and finally the children. Last of all the babies. By then the
water was so dirty you could actually lose someone in it. Hence the
saying,
"Don't throw the baby out with the bath water!"

Houses had thatched roofs-thick straw-piled high, with no wood underneath.
It was the only place for animals to get warm, so all the cats and other
small animals (mice, bugs) lived in the roof. When it rained it became
slippery and sometimes the animals would slip and fall off the roof.. Hence
the saying
"It's raining cats and dogs."

There was nothing to stop things from falling into the house. This posed a
real problem in the bedroom where bugs and other droppings could mess up
your nice clean bed. Hence, a bed with big posts and a sheet hung over the
top afforded some protection. That's how canopy beds came into existence.

The floor was dirt. Only the wealthy had something other than dirt. Hence
the saying, "Dirt poor." The wealthy had slate floors that would get
slippery in the winter when wet, so they spread thresh (straw) on floor to
help keep their footing. As the winter wore on, they added more thresh
until, when you opened the door, it would all start slipping outside. A
piece of wood was placed in the entrance-way. Hence: a thresh hold.

(Getting quite an education,aren't you?)

In those old days, they cooked in the kitchen with a big kettle that always
hung over the fire.. Every day they lit the fire and added things to the
pot. They ate mostly vegetables and did not get much meat. They would eat
the stew for dinner, leaving leftovers in the pot to get cold overnight and
then start over the next day. Sometimes stew had food in it that had been
there for quite a while. Hence the rhyme: Peas porridge hot, peas porridge
cold, peas porridge in the pot nine days old.

Sometimes they could obtain pork, which made them feel quite special. When
visitors came over, they would hang up their bacon to show off. It was a
sign of wealth that a man could, "bring home the bacon." They would cut off
a little to share with guests and would all sit around and chew the fat.

Those with money had plates made of pewter. Food with high acid content
caused some of the lead to leach onto the food, causing lead
poisoning death. This happened most often with tomatoes, so for the next 400
years or so, tomatoes were considered poisonous.

Bread was divided according to status. Workers got the burnt bottom of the
loaf, the family got the middle, and guests got the top, or the upper crust.
Lead cups were used to drink ale or whisky. The combination would sometimes
knock the imbibers out for a couple of days. Someone walking along the road
would take them for dead and prepare them for burial. They were laid out on
the kitchen table for a couple of days and the family would gather around
and eat and drink and wait and see if they would wake up. Hence the custom
of holding a wake.

England is old and small and the local folks started running out of places
to bury people. So they would dig up coffins and would take the bones to a
bone-house, and reuse the grave. When re-opening these coffins, 1 out of 25
coffins were found to have scratch marks on the inside and they realized
they had been burying people alive. So they would tie a string on the wrist
of the corpse, lead it through the coffin and up through the ground and tie
it to a bell. Someone would have to sit out in the graveyard all night (the
graveyard shift) to listen for the bell; thus, someone could be, saved by
the bell or was
considered a dead ringer.

And that's the truth.....Now, whoever said History was boring ! ! !
So . . . get out there and educate someone! ~~~
--
Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

"Happiness is never an accident. It is the prize we get when we choose
wisely from life's great stores"

Twm o'r Nant

May 26, 2010, 8:29:28 AM5/26/10

"Bigbazza" <big-...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> LOL....My young 11 year old nephew just sent me this, he's home today from
> school 'sick'..........
>

> WHERE DID THE SAYING PISS POOR COME FROM?

This covers a few of them:
http://www.snopes.com/language/phrases/1500.asp
--
Lyndon

Message has been deleted

Bigbazza

May 26, 2010, 9:15:17 AM5/26/10

"Twm o'r Nant" <t...@tempforgotten.com> wrote in message

Thank you for the information, Lyndon, but as I stated, it was a post from
an 11 year old kid. and not necessarily factual at all!

Bigbazza

May 26, 2010, 9:15:42 AM5/26/10

"Janet Baraclough" <janet.a...@zetnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> The message <863gt...@mid.individual.net>
> from "Bigbazza" <big-...@nospam.com> contains these words:

>> WHERE DID THE SAYING PISS POOR COME FROM?
>
>> (Getting quite an education,aren't you?)
>
> You never learn to check with snopes, do you? You're circulating
> trash fantasy, again.
>
> Janet

Why should I bloody well check something as simple as this....As I stated,
my 11 year old nephew posted this to me, I made no mention whether it was
true or false, Bitch!....As I say again, it was a post that an 11 year old
kid made

You are nothing but a smart arse, Janet!
--
Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

Message has been deleted

Bigbazza

May 26, 2010, 10:15:21 AM5/26/10

"Janet Baraclough" <janet.a...@zetnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> The message <864l9g...@mid.individual.net>

> from "Bigbazza" <big-...@nospam.com> contains these words:
>

>> "Janet Baraclough" <janet.a...@zetnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > The message <863gt...@mid.individual.net>
>> > from "Bigbazza" <big-...@nospam.com> contains these words:

>> > You never learn to check with snopes, do you? You're circulating
>> > trash fantasy, again.
>> >
>> > Janet
>

>> Why should I bloody well check something as simple as this
>
> Because you're responsible for what you post. Simple, isn't it?
>
>>...Bitch!.... smart arse
>
> So much for Toci's porkie claim you're "too much of a gentleman to
> insult a woman", eh?
>
> Janet

Well, you're not too bad insulting other men and women yourself, Janet, all
over the usenet groups!....

Anyway, Janet, it's obvious I don't like you, and never have, and like so
many others on the different newsgroups you invade, where you are free with
your insults..... So do the same for me as I usually do to you and your
posts, Ignore me!... Then I can make claim possibly to Toci's comment, and
try always to remember to be a gentleman to all the other ladies, but it
would take a saint to stay as a gentleman in your presence!....So,
again.....Ignore me!

Don't expect any further responses from me.... I won't waste any more of my
time on the likes of you!
--
Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

--
Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

Gordon H

May 26, 2010, 10:13:58 AM5/26/10
In message <3130303039303...@zetnet.co.uk>, Janet Baraclough
<janet.a...@zetnet.co.uk> writes

>The message <863gt...@mid.individual.net>
>from "Bigbazza" <big-...@nospam.com> contains these words:
>
>> WHERE DID THE SAYING PISS POOR COME FROM?
>
>> (Getting quite an education,aren't you?)
>
> You never learn to check with snopes, do you? You're circulating
>trash fantasy, again.
>
> Janet

It was clearly wrong anyway.
The real origin of the term "piss poor" comes from the remarks by our
ex-Duchess Sarah of Fergusson, who offered a reporter an introduction to
the Dook of York for half a million quid.

She told him "I haven't a pot to piss in".
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Gordon H

May 26, 2010, 10:15:15 AM5/26/10
In message <3130303039303...@zetnet.co.uk>, Janet Baraclough
<janet.a...@zetnet.co.uk> writes
>The message <864l9g...@mid.individual.net>

>from "Bigbazza" <big-...@nospam.com> contains these words:
>
>> "Janet Baraclough" <janet.a...@zetnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > The message <863gt...@mid.individual.net>
>> > from "Bigbazza" <big-...@nospam.com> contains these words:

>> > You never learn to check with snopes, do you? You're circulating
>> > trash fantasy, again.
>> >
>> > Janet
>
>> Why should I bloody well check something as simple as this
>
> Because you're responsible for what you post. Simple, isn't it?
>
>>...Bitch!.... smart arse
>
> So much for Toci's porkie claim you're "too much of a gentleman to
>insult a woman", eh?
>
> Janet

He's not a gentleman, he's a Christian.

Message has been deleted

Phxbrd

May 26, 2010, 11:52:05 AM5/26/10

"Gordon H" <Gordo...@g3snx.demon.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message

The selling of the piddle to tanners is wrong anyway becasue the remainder
of the expression is "...or a window to throw it out.".

Phxbrd

May 26, 2010, 11:52:55 AM5/26/10

"Gordon H" <Gordo...@g3snx.demon.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message

I wish I'd said that.

��� � ����

May 26, 2010, 12:26:12 PM5/26/10

You will Seth, you will

--
(�`�. ��� � ���� .���)

Twm o'r Nant

May 26, 2010, 1:38:30 PM5/26/10
"��� � ����" <r...@spamall.com> wrote in message

> On Wed, 26 May 2010 08:52:55 -0700, "Phxbrd"
> <lesliese...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>"Gordon H" <Gordo...@g3snx.demon.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
>>>
>>> He's not a gentleman, he's a Christian.
>>> --
>>> Gordon H
>>
>>I wish I'd said that.
>
> You will Seth, you will

I wish I'd said that.
--
Lyndon

Gordon H

May 26, 2010, 2:00:39 PM5/26/10
In message <IsGdnYBrhugHwWDW...@bt.com>, Twm o'r Nant
<t...@tempforgotten.com> writes

So do I, then I could have said "I wish I'd said that".

Phxbrd

May 26, 2010, 2:34:21 PM5/26/10

"��� � ����" <r...@spamall.com> wrote in message

8^)>

Phxbrd

May 26, 2010, 2:49:19 PM5/26/10

"Twm o'r Nant" <t...@tempforgotten.com> wrote in message

You will, Lyndon, you will.

Lonestar

May 26, 2010, 10:27:31 PM5/26/10
On 5/26/2010 8:15 AM, Bigbazza wrote:

> Why should I bloody well check something as simple as this....As I
> stated, my 11 year old nephew posted this to me, I made no mention
> whether it was true or false, Bitch!....As I say again, it was a post
> that an 11 year old kid made
>
> You are nothing but a smart arse, Janet!

She has been ever since she invaded this news group.
Robert

Lonestar

May 26, 2010, 10:29:46 PM5/26/10
On 5/26/2010 9:15 AM, Gordon H wrote:

> He's not a gentleman, he's a Christian.

Sit down Gordy before you strain yourself.
Robert

Bigbazza

May 26, 2010, 10:39:42 PM5/26/10

"Lonestar" <o...@delindio.net> wrote in message

If you go through some of her other newsgroups and check them out, Robert,
she acts the same way on all of them and puts herself up as 'THE Authority'
on all subjects, and beware if anyone disagrees with her lecturing
attitude!..... She picks those in particular that she doesn't like and goes
full bore after them, and makes as many cutting remarks as she can to
them...She is well known for this!

I have absolutely no time for her at all!... I don't in the least recognise
her as a lady, only a female, and a nasty one at that!
--
Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

Message has been deleted

toci

May 27, 2010, 12:21:46 AM5/27/10
On May 26, 8:44 am, Janet Baraclough <janet.and.j...@zetnet.co.uk>
wrote:
> The message <864l9gFcd...@mid.individual.net>
> from "Bigbazza" <big-b...@nospam.com> contains these words:
>
> > "Janet Baraclough" <janet.and.j...@zetnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > The message <863gt9Fb...@mid.individual.net>
> > > from "Bigbazza" <big-b...@nospam.com> contains these words:

> > >   You never learn to check with snopes, do you?  You're circulating
> > > trash fantasy, again.
>
> > >   Janet
> > Why should I bloody well check something as simple as this
>
>   Because you're responsible for what you post. Simple, isn't it?
>
> >...Bitch!.... smart arse
>
>   So much for Toci's  porkie claim you're "too much of a gentleman to
> insult a woman", eh?
>
>    Janet

I stand corrected. What's "porkie?" Toci

FarmI

May 27, 2010, 12:42:07 AM5/27/10
"toci" <gin...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

____________________________
Rhyming slang. 'Porkie pie' = lie.

Bigbazza

May 27, 2010, 12:40:49 AM5/27/10

"Anne Welsh Jackson" <amyg...@zetnet.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Bigbazza" <big-...@nospam.com> wrote:
>

>> "Janet Baraclough" <janet.a...@zetnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > The message <863gt...@mid.individual.net>
>> > from "Bigbazza" <big-...@nospam.com> contains these words:

>> > You never learn to check with snopes, do you? You're circulating
>> > trash fantasy, again.
>> >
>> Why should I bloody well check something as simple as this....As I
>> stated,
>> my 11 year old nephew posted this to me, I made no mention whether it was
>> true or false, Bitch!....As I say again, it was a post that an 11 year
>> old
>> kid made
>
> Your nephew may be only eleven, but YOU'RE not! You have been told
> time after time to check Snopes before posting this type of rubbish -
> which
> you obviously believed to be factual, otherwise why would you have said,
> at the end, "(Getting quite an education,aren't you?)"! Or are you going
> blame that comment on your hapless nephew as well?
>
> You're such a fucking dick-head, Barry.

>> You are nothing but a smart arse, Janet!
>
> Well nobody would ever accuse _you_ of being smart, although you
> are most certainly an arse!
>
> --
> AnneJ

What beautiful English language for Lady Anne.....Ooopss did I say a lady?,
my mistake there...
--
Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

FarmI

May 27, 2010, 12:52:29 AM5/27/10
"Bigbazza" <big-...@nospam.com> wrote in message
> "Lonestar" <o...@delindio.net> wrote in message
>> On 5/26/2010 8:15 AM, Bigbazza wrote:
>>
>>> Why should I bloody well check something as simple as this....As I
>>> stated, my 11 year old nephew posted this to me, I made no mention
>>> whether it was true or false, Bitch!....As I say again, it was a post
>>> that an 11 year old kid made
>>>
>>> You are nothing but a smart arse, Janet!
>>
>> She has been ever since she invaded this news group.
>> Robert
>>

> If you go through some of her other newsgroups and check them out, Robert,
> she acts the same way on all of them and puts herself up as 'THE
> Authority' on all subjects, and beware if anyone disagrees with her
> lecturing attitude!..... She picks those in particular that she doesn't
> like and goes full bore after them, and makes as many cutting remarks as
> she can to them...She is well known for this!
>
> I have absolutely no time for her at all!... I don't in the least
> recognise her as a lady, only a female, and a nasty one at that!

Well Barry I spotted silly statements in your post from that 11 year old.
It's because I have an interest in social history that I know there were
problems with it. Those problems were with claim about why weddings took
place in June and the sale of piss.

But if you are going to start calling Janet names, you should take some
responsibility for your own actions too. You were the first one to start
the name calling in this exchange. It wasn't Janet.

Bigbazza

May 27, 2010, 1:13:16 AM5/27/10

"FarmI" <ask@itshall be given> wrote in message

Accepted, Fran....I just get so angry at her insulting posts that she always
direct to just about all posts I make, not just here only...... Plus, I once
was a redhead (since before it turned grey, and now slightly white as
well...I still retain much of the red headed temperament, like anger at
people that continually set out to annoy me!

Message has been deleted

Gordon H

May 27, 2010, 4:15:56 AM5/27/10
In message <8664d8...@mid.individual.net>, Bigbazza
<big-...@nospam.com> writes

>I have absolutely no time for her at all!... I don't in the least
>recognise her as a lady, only a female, and a nasty one at that!

I'm glad that you are steadfastly ignoring her.
;-)

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Phxbrd

May 27, 2010, 10:35:21 AM5/27/10

"toci" <gin...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

--------------

Petunia's boyfriend.

Gordon H

May 27, 2010, 12:27:28 PM5/27/10
In message <866nre...@mid.individual.net>, AriesVal
<valerie.copeland@invalidgmail.?.com.invalid> writes

>On Wed, 26 May 2010 15:15:15 +0100, Gordon H wrote:
>
>> He's not a gentleman, he's a Christian.
>
>I'm a Christian but I'm not a gentleman

I would never mistake you for a gentleman.

Message has been deleted

Joan F (MI)

May 27, 2010, 6:04:46 PM5/27/10
Finely worded, Madame.

Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
| Your nephew may be only eleven, but YOU'RE not! You have been told
| time after time to check Snopes before posting this type of rubbish -
| which you obviously believed to be factual, otherwise why would you
| have said,
| at the end, "(Getting quite an education,aren't you?)"! Or are you
| going to blame that comment on your hapless nephew as well?
|
| You're such a fucking dick-head, Barry.
|

|| You are nothing but a smart arse, Janet!

FarmI

May 27, 2010, 9:20:17 PM5/27/10
"Bigbazza" <big-...@no-spam.net> wrote in message

:-)) Barry, whilst you spark up at posts that you feel are attacking you
personally, you might have some sympathy for those of us who spark up when
we read something that we know is just plain wrong.

What offends you will not necessarily offend me and vice versa.

I'm sure you just post things that you think will amuse us or make us
chuckle but please be aware that in doing that you may get right up
someone's left nostril because we either think differently or have different
experiences of life or even different political views.

This sor tof situation happens all the time with my daughter and I. She
'feels' things and I 'think' things. She will tell me about someone
insulting her by saying 'x' and I can't see an insult at all and will reply
that perhaps she should consider 'y'. Sometimes I move and agree that she
was insulted and sometimes she moves and thinks that what I've said makes
sense - but it's sure an interesting discussion. It's like we look at the
same situation for diametrically opposed positions.

FarmI

May 27, 2010, 9:24:45 PM5/27/10
"Janet Baraclough" <janet.a...@zetnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> The message <866dei...@mid.individual.net>
> from "Bigbazza" <big-...@no-spam.net> contains these words:

>> "FarmI" <ask@itshall be given> wrote in message
>
>> > But if you are going to start calling Janet names, you should take some
>> > responsibility for your own actions too. You were the first one to
>> > start
>> > the name calling in this exchange. It wasn't Janet.
>> >

>> Accepted, Fran....I just get so angry at her insulting posts that she
>> always
>> direct to just about all posts I make, not just here only...... Plus,
>> I once
>> was a redhead (since before it turned grey, and now slightly white as
>> well...I still retain much of the red headed temperament, like anger at
>> people that continually set out to annoy me!
>
> Yet more excuses. "It wisnae my fault, she made me do it, my
> nephew made me do it, my hair made me do it."
>
> Barry shows yet again, that he is incapable of taking responsibility for
> himself.
>
> What a pathetic worm.

:-)) You're a hard woman Janet. But you never prevaricate and that is a
good thing as far as I'm concerned.

FarmI

May 27, 2010, 9:25:52 PM5/27/10
"Phxbrd" <lesliese...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "toci" <gin...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I stand corrected. What's "porkie?" Toci
> --------------
>
> Petunia's boyfriend.

I'd forgotten about her. Thanks for reminding me

FarmI

May 27, 2010, 9:26:33 PM5/27/10
"AriesVal" <valerie.copeland@invalidgmail..com> wrote in message

> On Wed, 26 May 2010 15:15:15 +0100, Gordon H wrote:
>
>> He's not a gentleman, he's a Christian.
>
> I'm a Christian but I'm not a gentleman

I'm neither of those things.

Message has been deleted

Twm o'r Nant

May 28, 2010, 4:49:42 AM5/28/10

"FarmI" <ask@itshall be given> wrote in message

Nor am I, except on the second Tuesday of the month, when I am a Christian.
--
Lyndon

Gordon H

May 28, 2010, 5:10:27 AM5/28/10
In message <EKydnSz9t-Q1HmLW...@bt.com>, Twm o'r Nant
<t...@tempforgotten.com> writes

If things go as badly as I expect under the New Politics I may have to
become a Christian to enjoy the Salvation Army Soup Kitchen, but it
would have to be more than once a month.

Message has been deleted

Twm o'r Nant

May 28, 2010, 10:48:32 AM5/28/10
"Janet Baraclough" <janet.a...@zetnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> The message <EKydnSz9t-Q1HmLW...@bt.com>
> from "Twm o'r Nant" <t...@tempforgotten.com> contains these words:
> Some kind of Timeshare plan for the Afterlife?
>
> Janet
LOL. You could say that. There's a local group that meets in the Church for
a half hour meditation once a month. Actually, I exaggerated. I've only been
once. But I'm planning on going more regularly now I've abandoned Quakerism
(or perhaps it abandoned me - I forget now).

--
Lyndon

toci

May 28, 2010, 11:33:38 AM5/28/10
On May 28, 9:48 am, "Twm o'r Nant" <t...@tempforgotten.com> wrote:
> "Janet Baraclough" <janet.and.j...@zetnet.co.uk> wrote in message

> > The message <EKydnSz9t-Q1HmLWnZ2dnUVZ8j2dn...@bt.com>

> > from "Twm o'r Nant" <t...@tempforgotten.com> contains these words:
>
> >> "FarmI" <ask@itshall be given> wrote in message

> >> Nor am I, except on the second Tuesday of the month, when I am a
> >> Christian.
>
> > Some kind of  Timeshare plan for the Afterlife?
>
> >   Janet
>
> LOL. You could say that. There's a local group that meets in the Church for
> a half hour meditation once a month. Actually, I exaggerated. I've only been
> once. But I'm planning on going more regularly now I've abandoned Quakerism
> (or perhaps it abandoned me - I forget now).
>
> --
> Lyndon- Hide quoted text -

One can be a Quaker wherever one goes. (Attributed to a man who
attended his wife's Roman Catholic church for thirty years,) Toci

Phxbrd

May 28, 2010, 11:36:33 AM5/28/10

"Twm o'r Nant" <t...@tempforgotten.com> wrote in message

The rest of the time you're a Backslider?

Message has been deleted

Gordon H

May 28, 2010, 4:11:13 PM5/28/10
In message <3130303039303...@zetnet.co.uk>, Janet Baraclough
<janet.a...@zetnet.co.uk> writes
>The message <htf2H9ADi4$LF...@g3snx.demon.co.uk>
>from Gordon H <Gordo...@g3snx.demon.co.uk.invalid> contains these words:
> Don't worry, Gordon, the SA don't ask any questions.
>
> Janet.

I could even try to drool a little, if that would help?

Joan F (MI)

May 28, 2010, 6:18:53 PM5/28/10
The SA is so reputable that I give them money. They actually practice their
religion in helping others.

Phxbrd

May 28, 2010, 6:36:35 PM5/28/10
The Salvation Army is the only religious organization that I give any money
to.

"Joan F (MI)" <jjf...@removethisameritech.net> wrote in message

FarmI

May 29, 2010, 1:55:50 AM5/29/10
"Joan F (MI)" <jjf...@removethisameritech.net> wrote in message
> The SA is so reputable that I give them money. They actually practice
> their > religion in helping others.

Yes indeed. They are one group I always give money to regardless of how
much I have on me at the time. The Sally's are the one groups one sees out
in all the nastiest and even most dangerous situations.

Gordon H

May 29, 2010, 7:22:54 AM5/29/10
In message <86auri...@mid.individual.net>, Phxbrd
<lesliese...@yahoo.com> writes

>The Salvation Army is the only religious organization that I give any money
>to.

Same here...