'Some Like It Hot' named funniest film

LandonEx

Jun 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/13/00
'Some Like It Hot,' 'Tootsie' top funny films list

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Something about men in women's clothing
obviously tickles people's funny bones: "Some Like It Hot'' and "Tootsie''
came in at Nos. 1 and 2 on the American Film Institute's list of the 100
funniest American movies.

"Some Like It Hot,'' Billy Wilder's 1959 classic starring Jack Lemmon,
Tony Curtis and Marilyn Monroe, topped the list announced Tuesday on a
CBS television special. Lemmon and Curtis play musicians who witness a
mob massacre and dress up as women to hide out with an all-girl band.

Sydney Pollack's "Tootsie,'' starring Dustin Hoffman as a down-and-out
actor who finds soap-opera success masquerading as a woman, came in
second, as determined by about 1,800 actors, directors, studio
executives, critics and others in the movie industry.

Voters chose their funniest movies from a list of 500 nominees compiled
by the institute.

The rest of the top 10, in order, were: 3) Stanley Kubrick's "Dr.
Strangelove,'' 4) Woody Allen's "Annie Hall,'' 5) the Marx Brothers' "Duck
Soup,'' 6) Mel Brooks' "Blazing Saddles,'' 7) Robert Altman's "M*A*S*H,''
8) Frank Capra's "It Happened One Night,'' 9) Mike Nichols' "The Graduate''
and 10) Jim Abrahams, David Zucker and Jerry Zucker's "Airplane!''

Brooks also had 11th place with "The Producers'' and 13th place with
"Young Frankenstein.''

It was the institute's third annual list. Two years ago, the group
released the 100 best American films, topped by "Citizen Kane,'' and
last year the institute ranked the top 50 screen legends, led by
Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn.

"This time out, funny films leapt to the fore,'' said Bob Gazzale,
producer of the institute's TV special. "These films make us laugh, they
got us through the Great Depression, but they really haven't gotten the
recognition they deserve.''

Allen was the director with the most films included, with "Annie Hall''
and four others: "Manhattan'' at No. 46, "Take the Money and Run'' at
No. 66,'' "Bananas'' at No. 69 and "Sleeper'' at No. 80.

Besides "Some Like It Hot,'' Wilder also wrote or directed four other
movies on the list. The Marx Brothers also had four others in the top
100.

Charlie Chaplin had four movies, with "The Gold Rush'' ranked highest at
No. 25. George Cukor and Preston Sturges also directed four. The
top-ranked silent film was Buster Keaton's "The General'' at No. 18.

Two other cross-dressing comedies made the list, "Mrs. Doubtfire'' at
No. 67 and "Victor/Victoria'' at No. 76.

"It's nice to be nominated. I would be unhappy if I didn't make a few
people laugh,'' said "Victor/Victoria'' director Blake Edwards, whose "A
Shot in the Dark'' also was No. 48. "But I'm just a little bit leery of
lists. It's not sour grapes that I wasn't No. 1 or anything like that,
though it'll probably sound like sour grapes.

"It's just very subjective. I have the same problem, frankly, with the
Academy Awards. Jack Lemmon once said, 'How can you really judge a
performance unless all five nominees play the same part?'''

The newest film on the list was the Farrelly Brothers' "There's
Something About Mary'' from 1998, which ranked 27th. Only four other
movies from the 1990s made the cut, but the 1980s were the
best-represented decade with 22 pictures, including "A Fish Called
Wanda'' at No. 21, "When Harry Met Sally ...'' at No. 23 and
"Ghostbusters'' at No. 28.

Film critic Leonard Maltin said that the list was weighted too much
toward recent movies and that comedy classics by Sturges and Chaplin
should have been ranked higher.

"In large part these lists turn out to be a celebration of ignorance,''
Maltin said. "I don't think I'm a voice in the wilderness when I say
there's a possibility Charlie Chaplin is a better filmmaker than the
Farrelly Brothers.''

June 13, 2000 / 15:18 p.m. EDT
By David Germain, Associated Press

=Landon=
---------------
Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
Then it's okay, because he's a mile away and you've got his shoes.

Ted Bell

Jun 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/13/00
Where's Cable Guy?

LandonEx <land...@aol.comnospamno> wrote in message

> 'Some Like It Hot,' 'Tootsie' top funny films list
>

> LOS ANGELES (AP) - Something about men in women's clothing

*NaNcY*

Jun 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/13/00
On Tue, 13 Jun 2000 13:49:27 -0700, "Ted Bell" <tb...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>Where's Cable Guy?

...and After Hours & Pink Flamingos....but then, I guess it takes a
certain tainted sense of humor to appreciate all three of these flix!
--

*NaNcY*
/\_____/\

*NaNcY*

Jun 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/13/00
On 13 Jun 2000 20:02:58 GMT, land...@aol.comnospamno (LandonEx)
wrote:

>'Some Like It Hot,' 'Tootsie' top funny films list
>

>LOS ANGELES (AP) — Something about men in women's clothing

>obviously tickles people's funny bones: "Some Like It Hot'' and "Tootsie''
>came in at Nos. 1 and 2 on the American Film Institute's list of the 100
>funniest American movies.
>

>The rest of the top 10, in order, were: 3) Stanley Kubrick's "Dr.
>Strangelove,''

Dr. Strangelove should be #1 IMHO.

Tod Friendly

Jun 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/13/00
>LandonEx <land...@aol.comnospamno> wrote in message
>> Charlie Chaplin had four movies, with "The Gold Rush'' ranked highest at
>> No. 25. George Cukor and Preston Sturges also directed four. The
>> top-ranked silent film was Buster Keaton's "The General'' at No. 18.

>> The newest film on the list was the Farrelly Brothers' "There's

>> Something About Mary'' from 1998, which ranked 27th.

>> Film critic Leonard Maltin said :

>> "In large part these lists turn out to be a celebration of ignorance,''
>> Maltin said. "I don't think I'm a voice in the wilderness when I say
>> there's a possibility Charlie Chaplin is a better filmmaker than the
>> Farrelly Brothers.''

OK, slowly now Leonard, just for you. Chaplin had *4* movies in the list
peaking at no *25*. The Farrellys had *one* in there at number *27*.
You're right. You aren't a voice in the wilderness - you're quoting the
fucking poll.

Dumbass.

---------
Tod

"I lost my idea of the gentleness of human flesh"

Robert Dister

Jun 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/13/00
Where's Bio-Dome?

P.J. Gladnick

Jun 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/13/00
How about "The Loved One"? I thought that and "The Producers" were the two
funniest flicks ever. "Some Like It Hot" was funny but hardly as funny as
the two mentioned above. Also what about "The Party"? This was an extremely
funny movie as well. It starred Peter Sellers as an Indian extra in
Hollywood.

-----P.J. Gladnick, who is still laughing about Mr. Joyboy bringing the
roast pig to his mom in bed while she was flicking thru the food
commercials.

Peep...@webtv.net

Jun 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/13/00
Hmmmm, how did l'opus d'ERNEST get passed over..............?!

Miffed hugs,
Janice, glad, however, that Miss Sugar Kne finally got the non-fuZZy end
of the lolly-pop................;-)

--

See the Clinton Administration's policies on guns and
children.......................

http://community.webtv.net/PeepPeep/42200/

----------------------------------
(-)> *peep* (-)> *peep* (-)> *muckmouth*

King Daevid MacKenzie, UltimaJock!

Jun 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/13/00
...needless to say (but I will anyway), THE HOLLYWOOD KNIGHTS is nowhere to
be found on the list, right? It's a bullshit list, all right...

--
King Daevid MacKenzie, UltimaJock!
kingd...@radiodigest.com

Biminy . . . Quinn Biminy

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
>Where's Bio-Dome?

It was named "Funniest Pauly Shore film with a Baldwin in it."

Coincidentally, it was also named "Worst Pauly Shore film with a Baldwin in
it."

The Mighty Bim
Self-Appointed Tease

Stephen

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
In article <1f9dksgqd6c1mokve...@4ax.com>,

*NaNcY* <cybergataR...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> On 13 Jun 2000 20:02:58 GMT, land...@aol.comnospamno (LandonEx)
> wrote:

I'll second "Strangelove" for funniest movie ever. "Some Like It
Hot"? Give me a break. Lemmon and Curtis in drag? Ha ha. Stop. My
sides hurt. Sorry, that movie sucked. Where the hell is "Spinal
Tap"?

"Well, I'm sure I would be feeling much worse if I weren't so heavily
sedated..."

David St. Hubbins

> >'Some Like It Hot,' 'Tootsie' top funny films list
> >
> >LOS ANGELES (AP) — Something about men in women's clothing
> >obviously tickles people's funny bones: "Some Like It Hot''
and "Tootsie''
> >came in at Nos. 1 and 2 on the American Film Institute's list of the
100
> >funniest American movies.
> >

> >The rest of the top 10, in order, were: 3) Stanley Kubrick's "Dr.
> >Strangelove,''
>
> Dr. Strangelove should be #1 IMHO.
> --
>
> *NaNcY*
> /\_____/\
> / o o \
> ( == ^ == )
> ) - (
> ( )
> ( ( ) ( ) )
> (__(__)___(__)__)
> "Onward through the fog!"
> http://people.delphi.com/nlopez/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

H.I. McDonough

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
In article <20000613200755...@ng-cd1.aol.com>,

Where's Raising Arizona?

Jinxblues

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
I guess it's because I spent so many years in the music biz but "Spinal Tap"
just lays me out flat.

I am pleased that "The Producers" came in #11. Probably did lousy box office
but I love it anyway.

"Springtime for Hitler and Germaneeeee . ."

Carlotta

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00

An article in the LA Times saying that Nathan Lane had signed to play the lead
in the stage version of the Producers made a special point to say something
like "Yes, it will have Springtime for Hitler in it...." Who would ever
consider doing a stage version of that great film WITHOUT one of (if not the)
funniest bit?

Carlotta

"As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude
will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness."
H.D. Thoreau

Michael Ritchie

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
*NaNcY* wrote:

> >LOS ANGELES (AP) — Something about men in women's clothing
> >obviously tickles people's funny bones: "Some Like It Hot'' and "Tootsie''
> >came in at Nos. 1 and 2 on the American Film Institute's list of the 100
> >funniest American movies.
> >

> >The rest of the top 10, in order, were: 3) Stanley Kubrick's "Dr.
> >Strangelove,''
>
> Dr. Strangelove should be #1 IMHO.

When I want to simply lose myself in laughter
and good feelings, I go to automatically
to three movies: BLAZING SADDLES, PHILADELPHIA
STORY, or DUCK SOUP.

To quote myself in AGC:

I was pleased that older, less famous movies
like MY MAN GODFREY and PALM BEACH STORY made
the list, and that four Marx Brothers movies
were there, and that there were so many Cary
Grant movies (five, I think). I would have
put BLAZING SADDLES at #1, DUCK SOUP at #2
and SOME LIKE IT HOT at #3. I would like to
have seen ALL OF ME, TRADING PLACES, and ANIMAL
CRACKERS on the list, but on the whole, it
seemed like a interesting top 100.

And who the hell did Drew Barrymore blow to
get the hosting job? She was terrible. I
cringed in horror every second she was speaking.

--M.

CJay

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00

Jinxblues wrote:

> I guess it's because I spent so many years in the music biz but "Spinal Tap"
> just lays me out flat.
>
> I am pleased that "The Producers" came in #11. Probably did lousy box office
> but I love it anyway.
>
> "Springtime for Hitler and Germaneeeee . ."

I'm glad "Some Like It Hot" was #1, but wish that "Blazing Saddles",
"Young Frankenstein" and "The Producers" had been higher on the list.
All are classics.

Other comedies which should have made the list were:

Catch 22 - Alan Arkin
Cheap Detective - Peter Falk/Madaline Kahn
Evil Roy Slade - John Astin/Mickey Rooney
Bell, Book & Candle - James Stewart/Kim Novak
Monkey Business - Cary Grant/Ginger Rogers
Barefoot in the Park - Robert Redford/Jane Fonda
The Russians are Coming, The Russians are Coming - Carl Reiner/Brian
Keith/
What's New Pussy Cat? - Woody Allen
What's Up Tigery Lily - Woody Allen
Broadway Danny Rose - Woody Allen
Play It Again, Sam - Woody Allen
Car Wash - Richard Pryor
A New Leaf - Elaine May/Walter Matthau

CJay who loves comedies!

CJay

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00

Stephen wrote:

> In article <1f9dksgqd6c1mokve...@4ax.com>,
> *NaNcY* <cybergataR...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > On 13 Jun 2000 20:02:58 GMT, land...@aol.comnospamno (LandonEx)
> > wrote:
>
> I'll second "Strangelove" for funniest movie ever. "Some Like It
> Hot"? Give me a break. Lemmon and Curtis in drag? Ha ha. Stop. My
> sides hurt. Sorry, that movie sucked. Where the hell is "Spinal
> Tap"?
>
> "Well, I'm sure I would be feeling much worse if I weren't so heavily
> sedated..."
>
> David St. Hubbins

Spinal Tap was a spoof on rock bands with some hilarious lines, but
the funniest thing is that a lot of people thought it was a real
documentary. I heard this week that Spinal Tap was going on tour.

CJay

> > >'Some Like It Hot,' 'Tootsie' top funny films list
> > >

> > >LOS ANGELES (AP) — Something about men in women's clothing
> > >obviously tickles people's funny bones: "Some Like It Hot''
> and "Tootsie''
> > >came in at Nos. 1 and 2 on the American Film Institute's list of the
> 100
> > >funniest American movies.
> > >

> > >The rest of the top 10, in order, were: 3) Stanley Kubrick's "Dr.
> > >Strangelove,''
> >
> > Dr. Strangelove should be #1 IMHO.

CJay

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00

Raising Arizona made the AFI list...

LandonEx

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
>> Where's Raising Arizona?

>Raising Arizona made the AFI list...

Yes, it was on there, at # 31.

King Daevid MacKenzie, UltimaJock!

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00

CJay sez:

> Other comedies which should have made the list were:
>
> Catch 22 - Alan Arkin

...hunh? I thought this was universally considered one of Nichols' botch jobs...

> What's Up Tigery Lily - Woody Allen

...Woody himself has disavowed this one (it flies in the face of his argument
against colorization and other alterings of the "auteur's" filmmaking intent)...

> Car Wash - Richard Pryor

...entertaining but little more than a glorified '70s TV sitcom with cussing...

Love your enemies. It drives them right up the wall.

Michael Ritchie

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
CJay wrote:

> Other comedies which should have made the list were:
>
> Catch 22 - Alan Arkin
> Cheap Detective - Peter Falk/Madaline Kahn
> Evil Roy Slade - John Astin/Mickey Rooney
> Bell, Book & Candle - James Stewart/Kim Novak
> Monkey Business - Cary Grant/Ginger Rogers
> Barefoot in the Park - Robert Redford/Jane Fonda
> The Russians are Coming, The Russians are Coming - Carl Reiner/Brian
> Keith/
> What's New Pussy Cat? - Woody Allen
> What's Up Tigery Lily - Woody Allen
> Broadway Danny Rose - Woody Allen
> Play It Again, Sam - Woody Allen
> Car Wash - Richard Pryor
> A New Leaf - Elaine May/Walter Matthau

Most of these are good comedies but not great
comedies. CHEAP DETECTIVE is very amusing as
a kind of cinematic parlor game, finding the
references and such, but it's hardly in the
same field as SINGIN IN THE RAIN, or even
AUNTIE MAME.

--M.

Elayne Riggs

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
Stephen <step...@my-deja.com> happened to mention:

> I'll second "Strangelove" for funniest movie ever. "Some Like It
> Hot"? Give me a break. Lemmon and Curtis in drag? Ha ha. Stop. My
> sides hurt. Sorry, that movie sucked.

Oh, I thought it was wonderfully witty, with great situational humor
winning out over the laugh-out-loud slapstick stuff. And it has probably
my favorite ending of all time-- "Well, nobody's perfect..."

- Elayne

-=JR=-

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
MamE . . . not MamA!

ArrrrggggH!

-=JR=-

Words themselves aren't guilty or innocent,
but if you use those words knowing that your
audience will find them offensive, *you* are guilty.
--M.

"-=JR=-" <JRo...@NOSPAMmsn.com> wrote in message
> Cat Ballou, Auntie Mama, Blazing Saddles, Good-Bye Girl - the Classics!
>
> -=JR=-
>
> Words themselves aren't guilty or innocent,
> but if you use those words knowing that your
> audience will find them offensive, *you* are guilty.
> --M.
>

> "Michael Ritchie" <mrit...@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message

> "Tootsie''
> 100

> > > Dr. Strangelove should be #1 IMHO.

-=JR=-

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00

Michael Ritchie

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
-=JR=- wrote:

> Cat Ballou, Auntie Mama, Blazing Saddles, Good-Bye Girl - the Classics!

I love the latter three, but I've never seen
CAT BALLOU. I guess I have a thing about
Lee Marvin movies.

--M.

-=JR=-

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
"Michael Ritchie" <mrit...@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message

It is hysterically funny - and Marvin is a hoot as a gun fighter with a
silver
nose and a drunk horse.

Sadly, Nat "King" Cole was in it when he was circling the drain and he
looks it - but he still sings like an angel.

Peep...@webtv.net

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
7 YR. ITCH & IT'S A GIFT should've been higher & GENTLEMEN PREFER
BLONDES should've at least made the list.

Hugs,
Janice, who also thinks MURDER BY DEATH should've made the list.

BTW, this list should be re-named to best comedies -- THE funniest
movies are rarely *intentional* comedies.........;-)

*NaNcY*

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
On Wed, 14 Jun 2000 13:30:32 GMT, Michael Ritchie
<mrit...@columbus.rr.com> wrote:

>SINGIN IN THE RAIN, or even
>AUNTIE MAME.
>
>--M.

Singing in the Rain is one of my very favorite movies. It has the
absolute best dance scenes in it. Donald O'Connor's humorous dance is
a riot, but I never thought of this movie as a comedy, more like THE
classic musical. Now Auntie Mame, all I have to do is think about the
alternative school Mame sent her nephew to....the one where they
learned about sex by getting nakes and pretenting to be spermm and I
snicker! Hee heee!

emer...@execpc.com

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
Spinal Tap made the list (#29). I agree that Dr. Strangelove should
have been #1. It is better than either Some Like It Hot or Tootsie,
that's for sure.

I would have really liked to see where some of the Monty Python movies
would have made it. I'm certain they weren't considered American films.
Holy Grail would have had to be in the top 10 I'm certain.

In article <8i7191$44h$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Stephen <step...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> In article <1f9dksgqd6c1mokve...@4ax.com>,
> *NaNcY* <cybergataR...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > On 13 Jun 2000 20:02:58 GMT, land...@aol.comnospamno (LandonEx)
> > wrote:
>

> I'll second "Strangelove" for funniest movie ever. "Some Like It
> Hot"? Give me a break. Lemmon and Curtis in drag? Ha ha. Stop. My

> sides hurt. Sorry, that movie sucked. Where the hell is "Spinal
> Tap"?
>
> "Well, I'm sure I would be feeling much worse if I weren't so heavily
> sedated..."
>
> David St. Hubbins
>

> > >'Some Like It Hot,' 'Tootsie' top funny films list
> > >

> > >LOS ANGELES (AP) — Something about men in women's clothing

> > >obviously tickles people's funny bones: "Some Like It Hot''
> and "Tootsie''
> > >came in at Nos. 1 and 2 on the American Film Institute's list of
the
> 100
> > >funniest American movies.
> > >

> > >The rest of the top 10, in order, were: 3) Stanley Kubrick's "Dr.
> > >Strangelove,''
> >
> > Dr. Strangelove should be #1 IMHO.

> > --
> >
> > *NaNcY*
> > /\_____/\
> > / o o \
> > ( == ^ == )
> > ) - (
> > ( )
> > ( ( ) ( ) )
> > (__(__)___(__)__)
> > "Onward through the fog!"
> > http://people.delphi.com/nlopez/

Mary Campbell

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
Michael Ritchie (mrit...@columbus.rr.com) writes:
> -=JR=- wrote:
>>
>> Cat Ballou, Auntie Mama, Blazing Saddles, Good-Bye Girl - the Classics!
>
> I love the latter three, but I've never seen
> CAT BALLOU. I guess I have a thing about
> Lee Marvin movies.
>
> --M.

CAT BALLOU is a great comedy --- Lee is funny, his horse is funny, even
Jane Fonda is funny. It's not your standard Lee Marvin movie, if you're
thinking of his typical HELL IN THE PACIFIC / DIRTY DOZEN oeuvre.

C.L. Lassiter

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
Stephen <step...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> In article <1f9dksgqd6c1mokve...@4ax.com>,
> *NaNcY* <cybergataR...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> On 13 Jun 2000 20:02:58 GMT, land...@aol.comnospamno (LandonEx)
>> wrote:

> I'll second "Strangelove" for funniest movie ever. "Some Like It
> Hot"? Give me a break. Lemmon and Curtis in drag? Ha ha. Stop. My
> sides hurt. Sorry, that movie sucked. Where the hell is "Spinal
> Tap"?

Interesting. I loved Strangelove, but I also love SLIH. Either
would have been a great #1 for me. Of course, my all-time favorite funny
film didn't even make the list: "The Lion in Winter." Absolutely
brilliant. Katharine Hepburn and Peter O'Toole going at each other's
throats with absolutely brilliant dialogue. Set in the 1200's, if memory
serves. This was also the film debut of Anthony Hopkins as one of their
sons.

Oh, and then there's "The Loved One," 1963's (I think) send up of
the funeral industry.

cl, who can't believe he even remembers 1963, much less Bobby Morse

bms

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
On Tue, 13 Jun 2000 21:40:36 GMT, *NaNcY*
<cybergataR...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Jun 2000 13:49:27 -0700, "Ted Bell" <tb...@earthlink.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Where's Cable Guy?

Wrong list! Try "100 most ill-marketed movies of all time."

>...and After Hours & Pink Flamingos....but then, I guess it takes a
>certain tainted sense of humor to appreciate all three of these flix!
>--

Yes, how could there be no John Waters films on this list? Who are
these people? They are so sick!

Also, there were several clips shown sort of in the background---Pee
Wee's Big Adventure, RHPS, Mary Poppins---but they weren't in the top
100. I kept thinking, "Oh, they're saving Pee Wee for #1!" but of
course that was not to be. Anyway, why show these clips if they
weren't in the 100?

Also, lots of movies are funnier than "City Slickers." LOTS.

aes

bms

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
On Wed, 14 Jun 2000 03:30:02 GMT, Michael Ritchie
<mrit...@columbus.rr.com> wrote

>I was pleased that older, less famous movies

>like MY MAN GODFREY and PALM BEACH STORY made

MMG is wonderful!

>And who the hell did Drew Barrymore blow to
>get the hosting job? She was terrible. I
>cringed in horror every second she was speaking.

Which wasn't too often, really---I was afraid to watch this because I
thought she'd be on every 2 seconds talking filler. But she was only
on in the very beginning and very end, they had all those other slebs
talking instead. Good move, imho! I agree, she was pretty bad. Also
what was that lip gloss? Bad idea. I thought they had people to do
their makeup, or some kind of Maybelline police.

aes

>--M.

Regina989

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
In article <8i8psf$fvh$1...@news2.isis.unc.edu>, "C.L. Lassiter"
<sea...@email.unc.edu> writes:

>Interesting. I loved Strangelove, but I also love SLIH. Either
>would have been a great #1 for me. Of course, my all-time favorite funny
>film didn't even make the list: "The Lion in Winter." Absolutely
>brilliant. Katharine Hepburn and Peter O'Toole going at each other's
>throats with absolutely brilliant dialogue. Set in the 1200's, if memory
>serves. This was also the film debut of Anthony Hopkins as one of their
>sons.
>
> Oh, and then there's "The Loved One," 1963's (I think) send up of
>the funeral industry.
>
>cl, who can't believe he even remembers 1963, much less Bobby Morse

"Some Like It Hot" would be in my top ten, but I would have to choose
a Lemmon/Matthau pairing ("The Odd Couple," "The Fortune Cookie,"
even "Grumpy Old Men" - Burgess Meredith is a scream) as funnier.

However, I can live with any list that has "Raising Arizona," "The
Philadelphia Story," "The Palm Beach Story" and "His Girl Friday" on it.

It's not on the list, but I also have a soft spot for "The Seven-Year Itch."
Tom Ewell is great.

I've never seen "The Loved One" but a number of people have mentioned
it to me, so I guess I better dig up the video.

Reg

Michael Ritchie

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
"Peep...@webtv.net" wrote:

> Hugs,
> Janice, who also thinks MURDER BY DEATH should've made the list.

It *is* very funny, but like CHEAP DETECTIVE, it's mostly
funny if you know the references.

> BTW, this list should be re-named to best comedies -- THE funniest
> movies are rarely *intentional* comedies.........;-)

Right! In which case, PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE and
BATTLEFIELD EARTH should have been on the list.

--M.

*NaNcY*

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
On 14 Jun 2000 20:27:59 GMT, "C.L. Lassiter" <sea...@email.unc.edu>
wrote:

> Interesting. I loved Strangelove, but I also love SLIH. Either
>would have been a great #1 for me. Of course, my all-time favorite funny
>film didn't even make the list: "The Lion in Winter." Absolutely
>brilliant. Katharine Hepburn and Peter O'Toole going at each other's
>throats with absolutely brilliant dialogue. Set in the 1200's, if memory
>serves. This was also the film debut of Anthony Hopkins as one of their
>sons.

I doubt any movie critic would consider The Lion in Winter to be
anything but a drama, but it had plenty of subtle humor. Was this
really Anthony Hopkins film debut? ARE you sure?

Another movies that I would place in the top 100 is Born In East L.A.
Maybe it would only be on a Southwestern Chicano's list, but the scene
of Cheech changing another inmate's tatoo will always have me in
stitches!

bms

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
On Tue, 13 Jun 2000 21:52:30 -0400, "P.J. Gladnick" <pjg...@gate.net>
wrote:

>How about "The Loved One"? I thought that and "The Producers" were the two
>funniest flicks ever. "Some Like It Hot" was funny but hardly as funny as
>the two mentioned above. Also what about "The Party"? This was an extremely
>funny movie as well. It starred Peter Sellers as an Indian extra in
>Hollywood.
>
>-----P.J. Gladnick, who is still laughing about Mr. Joyboy bringing the
>roast pig to his mom in bed while she was flicking thru the food
>commercials.

TLO is great---Jonathan Winters & baby Paul Williams! It's on my list.
(Also it's a great book...)

aes

Michael Ritchie

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
"C.L. Lassiter" wrote:

> Interesting. I loved Strangelove, but I also love SLIH. Either
> would have been a great #1 for me. Of course, my all-time favorite funny
> film didn't even make the list: "The Lion in Winter." Absolutely
> brilliant. Katharine Hepburn and Peter O'Toole going at each other's
> throats with absolutely brilliant dialogue.

That's Don's favorite movie of all time, and
would certainly be in my top 20. The problem
with a list of comedies is, what is a comedy?
If DR STRANGELOVE is a comedy, then so is
CLOCKWORK ORANGE, but when I'm in the mood
for laughing, neither one of those movies
would come to mind.

> Oh, and then there's "The Loved One," 1963's (I think) send up of
> the funeral industry.
>
> cl, who can't believe he even remembers 1963, much less Bobby Morse

HOW TO SUCCEED IN BUSINESS WITHOUT REALLY TRYING is
one of my favorites. I even like the rather
reprehensible GUIDE FOR THE MARRIED MAN, a non-
musical which Gene Kelly directed. Robert Morse
never really fit the Hollywood mold, unfortunately.

--M.

Michael Ritchie

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
bms wrote:

> Which wasn't too often, really---I was afraid to watch this because I
> thought she'd be on every 2 seconds talking filler. But she was only
> on in the very beginning and very end, they had all those other slebs
> talking instead. Good move, imho!

She was also on at least once in the middle.
I know, because I remember exactly how many
times I gagged during the evening ;-)

--M.

Peep...@webtv.net

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
<<Of course, my all-time favorite funny film didn't even make the list:
"The Lion in Winter." Absolutely brilliant. Katharine Hepburn and Peter
O'Toole going at each other's throats>>

I can say the same for WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF?

Hugs,
Janice

*NaNcY*

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
On 14 Jun 2000 21:13:05 GMT, cc...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Mary Campbell)
wrote:

I've always considered it one of his very best roles. Didn't he
relieve either an Oscar nomination or won an Oscar for this role? I
seem to remember he died shortly after and couldn't actually be
present to pick of up Oscar. Or maybe I'm just hallucinating again!
I'll never forgot how he was always riding on the side of his
horse...I'm giggling now....

Michael Ritchie

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
bms wrote:

> Yes, how could there be no John Waters films on this list? Who are
> these people? They are so sick!

PINK FLAMINGOS is infinitely funnier than TOOTSIE.

> Also, there were several clips shown sort of in the background---Pee
> Wee's Big Adventure, RHPS, Mary Poppins---but they weren't in the top
> 100. I kept thinking, "Oh, they're saving Pee Wee for #1!" but of
> course that was not to be. Anyway, why show these clips if they
> weren't in the 100?

Same here. I kept waiting for PEE WEE and SISTER
ACT, especially since they talked to Whoopi
Gioldberg so often. When it came to the
top 10, I thought, there's no way SISTER ACT
will be there!

--M.

Mary Campbell

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
*NaNcY* (cybergataR...@earthlink.net) writes:
> On 14 Jun 2000 21:13:05 GMT, cc...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Mary Campbell)
> wrote:
>
>>Michael Ritchie (mrit...@columbus.rr.com) writes:
>>>
>>> I love the latter three, but I've never seen
>>> CAT BALLOU. I guess I have a thing about
>>> Lee Marvin movies.
>>>
>>> --M.
>>
>>CAT BALLOU is a great comedy --- Lee is funny, his horse is funny, even
>>Jane Fonda is funny. It's not your standard Lee Marvin movie, if you're
>>thinking of his typical HELL IN THE PACIFIC / DIRTY DOZEN oeuvre.
>>

> I've always considered it one of his very best roles. Didn't he
> relieve either an Oscar nomination or won an Oscar for this role? I
> seem to remember he died shortly after and couldn't actually be
> present to pick of up Oscar. Or maybe I'm just hallucinating again!
> I'll never forgot how he was always riding on the side of his
> horse...I'm giggling now....
> --
>
> *NaNcY*

Yes, he won an Oscar for Best Actor for that role, but you're wrong about
his dying shortly after - he lived another 20 years and died in the late 80s.

IIRC in his acceptance speech he thanked the horse that he rode in CAT
BALLOU and said that part of the award belonged to the horse. He was
right, too!

King Daevid MacKenzie, UltimaJock!

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00

*NaNcY* sez about CAT BALLOU:

> Didn't he relieve either an Oscar nomination or won an Oscar for this role?
> seem to remember he died shortly after and couldn't actually be
> present to pick of up Oscar. Or maybe I'm just hallucinating again!

...CAT BALLOU was made circa '65, whereas Marvin died (I think) in
'89...perhaps you're somehow confusing his Oscar bit with Henry Fonda's for ON
GOLDEN POND?...

--
King Daevid MacKenzie, UltimaJock!

kingd...@elknet.net
http://www.radiodigest.com/chicago
http://www.radiodigest.com/milwaukee
"If I've offended you for any reason, you needed it." ROBIN TYLER

User1237

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
I noticed that "The Apartment" was on the list, kind of odd, I think. Never
thought of it as being a comedy.
Rich

Regina989

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
Have to correct myself.
"The Seven-Year Itch" is on the list
- #60 or around there.

Reg

Mary Campbell

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00

The ending of THE APARTMENT does seem a bit melancholy, despite the fact
that they're together. If it were made today, Bud and Ms. Kubalek would
take over the firm and fire all the bad guys, instead of more or less
being chased out of town. (Actually, I love the bad guys in this movie -
they're so shamelessly unrepentant and they enjoy themselves so much.)

But it's one of my favourite movies of all time, and I was glad to see it
on the list. I never get tired of watching it.

After I've seen some saccharine Meg Ryan/Tom Hanks goo-fest, I go home and
slip THE APARTMENT in the VCR and get rid of the aftertaste with a little
black-and-white astringency.

CJay

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00

Michael Ritchie wrote:

> CJay wrote:
> >
> > Other comedies which should have made the list were:
> >
> > Catch 22 - Alan Arkin
> > Cheap Detective - Peter Falk/Madaline Kahn
> > Evil Roy Slade - John Astin/Mickey Rooney
> > Bell, Book & Candle - James Stewart/Kim Novak
> > Monkey Business - Cary Grant/Ginger Rogers
> > Barefoot in the Park - Robert Redford/Jane Fonda
> > The Russians are Coming, The Russians are Coming - Carl Reiner/Brian
> > Keith/
> > What's New Pussy Cat? - Woody Allen
> > What's Up Tigery Lily - Woody Allen
> > Broadway Danny Rose - Woody Allen
> > Play It Again, Sam - Woody Allen
> > Car Wash - Richard Pryor
> > A New Leaf - Elaine May/Walter Matthau
>
> Most of these are good comedies but not great
> comedies. CHEAP DETECTIVE is very amusing as
> a kind of cinematic parlor game, finding the
> references and such, but it's hardly in the
> same field as SINGIN IN THE RAIN, or even
> AUNTIE MAME.
>
> --M.

You're right, CHEAP DETECTIVE isn't in the same league as SITR or
AUNTIE MAME...but several mentions on my list were better than...say...
WHEN HARRY MET SALLY. The only memorable scene in WHMS is the "I'll
have what she's having" scene. IMO, a truly funny movie is comedic
throughout, not just in the scenes which get promoted the most in
the trailers.

Here's some more favorites missing from the AFI list:

The Atomic Bus - madcap comedy
Without a Clue - Michael Caine as a incompetent Sherlock Holmes
Goodbye Charlie - Tony Curtis/Debbie Reynolds
Hallelujah Trail - Burt Lancaster
Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
Barefoot in the Park - Robert Redford/Jane Fonda
Night Shift - Michael Keaton's first movie

CJay

hamilton

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00

> On 14 Jun 2000 20:27:59 GMT, "C.L. Lassiter" <sea...@email.unc.edu>

> wrote:
>

> > Interesting. I loved Strangelove, but I also love SLIH. Either

> >would have been a great #1 for me. Of course, my all-time favorite funny

> >film didn't even make the list: "The Lion in Winter." Absolutely
> >brilliant. Katharine Hepburn and Peter O'Toole going at each other's

> >throats with absolutely brilliant dialogue. Set in the 1200's, if memory
> >serves. This was also the film debut of Anthony Hopkins as one of their
> >sons.

I would have put Singing in the Rain ahead of most of the older films at
the top of the list including Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles --
and All of Me with Steve Martin is a stitch -- far funnier than half the
films on the list and it didn't make it all.

The Lion in Winter a comedy?

Melora

Jun 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/15/00

"CJay" <CJM...@prodigy.net> wrote

> Without a Clue - Michael Caine as a incompetent Sherlock Holmes

That was hilarious. It should have been on the list.

Was The In-Laws on the list. It was very funny.

> Hallelujah Trail - Burt Lancaster

My mom thinks this is the funniest movie she's ever seen. I haven't seen it
though.

Melora

C.L. Lassiter

Jun 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/15/00
*NaNcY* <cybergataR...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> On 14 Jun 2000 20:27:59 GMT, "C.L. Lassiter" <sea...@email.unc.edu>
> wrote:

>> Interesting. I loved Strangelove, but I also love SLIH. Either
>>would have been a great #1 for me. Of course, my all-time favorite funny
>>film didn't even make the list: "The Lion in Winter." Absolutely
>>brilliant. Katharine Hepburn and Peter O'Toole going at each other's
>>throats with absolutely brilliant dialogue. Set in the 1200's, if memory
>>serves. This was also the film debut of Anthony Hopkins as one of their
>>sons.

> I doubt any movie critic would consider The Lion in Winter to be
> anything but a drama, but it had plenty of subtle humor. Was this
> really Anthony Hopkins film debut? ARE you sure?

I'll check IMDB, but I'm pretty sure. And I think TLIW is one of
the funniest movies ever. "Madam, before your son's ass will sit on the
throne, pigs will fly." "Sir, there will be pork in the treetops come
morning." And after the king has imprisoned all 3 sons for trying to
murder him her quote? "What family doesn't have its ups and
downs?" (Among other great lines.)

cl

Craig Smith

Jun 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/15/00
C.L. Lassiter recently wrote:

>> I doubt any movie critic would consider The Lion in Winter to be
>> anything but a drama, but it had plenty of subtle humor. Was this
>> really Anthony Hopkins film debut? ARE you sure?
>
> I'll check IMDB, but I'm pretty sure. And I think TLIW is one of
>the funniest movies ever. "Madam, before your son's ass will sit on the
>throne, pigs will fly." "Sir, there will be pork in the treetops come
>morning." And after the king has imprisoned all 3 sons for trying to
>murder him her quote? "What family doesn't have its ups and
>downs?" (Among other great lines.)

My favorite line from TLIW is where Hepburn, sitting at her
dressing table, looks into the mirror with an extravagant
necklace Henry had given her, and she addresses the jewels:
"Well, I *could* hang you from the nipples, but I suppose
that would shock the children."

Craig

bms

Jun 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/15/00
On Wed, 14 Jun 2000 19:59:57 -0500, hami...@dnvln.com (hamilton)

wrote:
>> On 14 Jun 2000 20:27:59 GMT, "C.L. Lassiter" <sea...@email.unc.edu>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Interesting. I loved Strangelove, but I also love SLIH. Either
>> >would have been a great #1 for me. Of course, my all-time favorite funny
>> >film didn't even make the list: "The Lion in Winter." Absolutely
>> >brilliant. Katharine Hepburn and Peter O'Toole going at each other's
>> >throats with absolutely brilliant dialogue. Set in the 1200's, if memory
>> >serves. This was also the film debut of Anthony Hopkins as one of their
>> >sons.
>
>I would have put Singing in the Rain ahead of most of the older films at
>the top of the list including Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles --

But, again, is that really a comedy? I would first say it's a musical.
I guess it's a musical comedy.

>and All of Me with Steve Martin is a stitch -- far funnier than half the
>films on the list and it didn't make it all.

Yes, we LOVE All of Me! I was happy The Jerk got on the list, though.
I was afraid it would be judged by some kind of pumpkinheaded jury
that wouldn't think "He hates these cans!!!!" was funny. Also, Roxanne
& Parenthood would have made my list.

Actually, I did make a list. I only got up to 58. I need to see more
movies. My list was notable in that it had no Woody Allen. The only
movie of his I really like is Purple Rose of Cairo, and that isn't all
that hysterically funny. I guess if you're from the northeast these
are funnier? I'm from Ohio (and not even from that core of culture,
Columbus, like M.! What the hell do I know?!?) Also I would not have
as many Marx bros. or their black and white companiions, though I
would keep Dinner at 8, Godfrey, Thin Man, Phila. Story...

Totally neglected were kids' movies, like the Bad News Bears (can you
imagine if they made that today?), Private Eyes (w/ Don Knotts and Tim
Conway), and the Muppet Movie!

And can u believe no Showgirls?????!!!!!

aes, sitll sorry Pee Wee wasn't in the to 10! (or anywhere else)

Michael Ritchie

Jun 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/16/00
bms wrote:

> >and All of Me with Steve Martin is a stitch -- far funnier than half the
> >films on the list and it didn't make it all.
>
> Yes, we LOVE All of Me!

I was shocked that ALL OF ME didn't make the
list, at least partly because Lily Tomlin
got interviewed so much on the show.

> My list was notable in that it had no Woody Allen. The only
> movie of his I really like is Purple Rose of Cairo, and that isn't all
> that hysterically funny. I guess if you're from the northeast these
> are funnier? I'm from Ohio (and not even from that core of culture,
> Columbus, like M.! What the hell do I know?!?)

Hey, I've lived here all my life and I love Woody Allen.
I would have taken off BANANAS (which I watched again
recently and I don't think it holds up very well) and
added HANNAH AND HER SISTERS (like others on the list,
only sort of a comedy).

> Also I would not have
> as many Marx bros. or their black and white companiions, though I
> would keep Dinner at 8, Godfrey, Thin Man, Phila. Story...

I was happy with the Marxist representation, but
I would have replaced HORSE FEATHERS with ANIMAL
CRACKERS. I was very pleased that Cary Grant, by my
count, had the most movies on the list (6): HIS GIRL
FRIDAY, PHILADELPHIA STORY, ARSENIC & OLD LACE, BRINGING
UP BABY, MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE, THE
AWFUL TRUTH. I was also glad that the underrated
William Powell got on twice (MY MAN GODFREY and
THE THIN MAN).

--M.

Joe Flannigan

Jun 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/16/00
*NaNcY* (cybergataR...@earthlink.net) writes:
> On 13 Jun 2000 20:02:58 GMT, land...@aol.comnospamno (LandonEx)
> wrote:
>
>>'Some Like It Hot,' 'Tootsie' top funny films list
>>

> Dr. Strangelove should be #1 IMHO.
> --

Nancy, honey, for eons now I've been reading this group and I usually
agree with your postings.

Dr. Strangelove is a great film... but it isn't exactly a knee-slapper.
I remember, as a teenager in 1964, being quite depressed watching it
through to its sad conclusion.

I also remember the extraordinary mirth in the theatres of 1960 watching
"Some Like It Hot".

There just "ain't no comparison".

Some Like It Hot may not, in truth, be the very funniest film... but it
sure hangs in there against whatever is 1st!

__
____ _____________ __________ __________
|\::::\ |\::::::::::::\ |\::::::::::\ \ Colour /
____ \###\::::\ \###\::::\ \::::\ \###\::::::\ \ Pi /
|\::::\__\###\::::\ \###\::::\__\::::\ \###\:::\_______ \nk/
|##\::::::::::::::::\ \###\::::::::::::\ \###\::::::::::\ \/
\##|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| \##|~~~~~~~~~~~~| \##|~~~~~~~~~~|
\|________________| \|____________| \|__________|

CJay

Jun 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/16/00

Another Cary Grant which did not make the list was MONKEY BUSINESS
with CG, Ginger Rogers and Marilyn Monroe in one of her first movies.

CJay

wen...@cix.compulink.co.uk

Jun 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/16/00
In article <3948021A...@columbus.rr.com>, mrit...@columbus.rr.com
(Michael Ritchie) usenetted:

> "C.L. Lassiter" wrote:
> >
> > Interesting. I loved Strangelove, but I also love SLIH.
> > Either
> > would have been a great #1 for me. Of course, my all-time favorite
> > funny
> > film didn't even make the list: "The Lion in Winter." Absolutely
> > brilliant. Katharine Hepburn and Peter O'Toole going at each
> > other's
> > throats with absolutely brilliant dialogue.
>

> That's Don's favorite movie of all time, and
> would certainly be in my top 20. The problem
> with a list of comedies is, what is a comedy?
> If DR STRANGELOVE is a comedy, then so is
> CLOCKWORK ORANGE, but when I'm in the mood
> for laughing, neither one of those movies
> would come to mind.
>
> > Oh, and then there's "The Loved One," 1963's (I think) send
> > up of
> > the funeral industry.
> >
> > cl, who can't believe he even remembers 1963, much less Bobby Morse
>
> HOW TO SUCCEED IN BUSINESS WITHOUT REALLY TRYING is
> one of my favorites. I even like the rather
> reprehensible GUIDE FOR THE MARRIED MAN, a non-
> musical which Gene Kelly directed. Robert Morse
> never really fit the Hollywood mold, unfortunately.

Indeed. I just got a copy of How to Succeed, and was amazed to realize
how really talented Morse is/was. I saw him about ten years ago doing a
Moss Hart play (Light Up the Sky) in London, and I *still* liked him.

wg

Sherrill Edwards

Jun 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/16/00

wen...@cix.compulink.co.uk wrote:

> In article <3948021A...@columbus.rr.com>, mrit...@columbus.rr.com
> (Michael Ritchie) usenetted:
>

> <snip for space>

> > HOW TO SUCCEED IN BUSINESS WITHOUT REALLY TRYING is
> > one of my favorites. I even like the rather
> > reprehensible GUIDE FOR THE MARRIED MAN, a non-
> > musical which Gene Kelly directed. Robert Morse
> > never really fit the Hollywood mold, unfortunately.
>
> Indeed. I just got a copy of How to Succeed, and was amazed to realize
> how really talented Morse is/was. I saw him about ten years ago doing a
> Moss Hart play (Light Up the Sky) in London, and I *still* liked him.

And to bring this full circle, Robert Morse starred in "Sugar", the Broadway
musical version of Some Like It Hot. He played the Jack Lemmon role, Tony
Roberts played Tony Curtis' role, and Elaine Joyce (widow of Bobby Van, now
Mrs. Neil Simon) played Sugar Kane. While the musical itself was rather
forgettable, Mr. Morse was a hoot in the part!

james jorden

Jun 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/16/00
wen...@cix.compulink.co.uk wrote:

> > Indeed. I just got a copy of How to Succeed, and was amazed to realize
> > how really talented Morse is/was. I saw him about ten years ago doing a
> > Moss Hart play (Light Up the Sky) in London, and I *still* liked him.
> >

> And to bring this full circle, Robert Morse starred in "Sugar", the Broadway
> musical version of Some Like It Hot. He played the Jack Lemmon role, Tony
> Roberts played Tony Curtis' role, and Elaine Joyce (widow of Bobby Van, now
> Mrs. Neil Simon) played Sugar Kane. While the musical itself was rather
> forgettable, Mr. Morse was a hoot in the part!

Bobby Morse stars in one of my favorite comedies, THE MATCHMAKER, part of a
dream cast including Shirley Booth, Paul Ford, Shirley MacLaine and Anthony
Perkins. Sheer delight, and infinitely superior to the leaden HELLO, DOLLY with
the miscast Streisand and Matthau and the hideously epicene Michael Crawford.
(Haven't cared for him since he and Vivien Leigh tried to sell out Actors Equity
during the 1963 Broadway lockout.)

==============

james jorden
jjo...@bellatlantic.net
www.parterre.com

"I cannot begin to describe the filth backstage." -- Kyra Vayne

C.L. Lassiter

Jun 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/16/00
Peep...@webtv.net <Peep...@webtv.net> wrote:
> <<Of course, my all-time favorite funny film didn't even make the list:
> "The Lion in Winter." Absolutely brilliant. Katharine Hepburn and Peter
> O'Toole going at each other's throats>>

> I can say the same for WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF?

Another great film, but a different kind of "going at each other's
throats."

cl

Tod Friendly

Jun 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/16/00

CJay wrote in message <39481A...@prodigy.net>...

>You're right, CHEAP DETECTIVE isn't in the same league as SITR or
>AUNTIE MAME...but several mentions on my list were better than...say...
>WHEN HARRY MET SALLY. The only memorable scene in WHMS is the "I'll
>have what she's having" scene. IMO, a truly funny movie is comedic
>throughout, not just in the scenes which get promoted the most in
>the trailers.

You know I can't agree as regards WHMS. Having seen *that* scene in the
trailers played to death I never burst a gut when seeing it in the film.
The line you quote, to me is a bit of a clunker. All the stuff about men
and women being friends was much more funny.

Paraphrasing:
Sally:"You mean a man can only be friends with women he finds ugly?"
Harry:"Nah. You pretty much want to nail them as well."

I also think The Sure Thing should have made the cut by miles.

---------
Tod

"I lost my idea of the gentleness of human flesh"

Tod Friendly

Jun 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/17/00

bms wrote in message <3949290...@news.widomaker.com>...

>>I would have put Singing in the Rain ahead of most of the older films at
>>the top of the list including Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles --
>
>But, again, is that really a comedy? I would first say it's a musical.
>I guess it's a musical comedy.

Maybe but the list is of "funniest films". It doesn't try to get into the
thankless task of designating what is a pure "comedy" as opposed to anything
else.

>And can u believe no Showgirls?????!!!!!

I thought it was funny at the start but found that once the giggly
intoxication of sheer disbelief that anything this bad could be put out by a
big name director and screen-writer wore off, a numbing sense of dread and
horror that it was not yet over began to sink in :)