Gay-Themed Movies

KING B MAN

Jul 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/8/99
Don't know what movie would be considered the best Gay themed of the lot, but
Partners w/Ryan O'Neal and John Hurt should top the list as worst of the short
lived genre.
Can't Stop the Music? does that count?
Mike

Michael Ritchie

Jul 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/8/99
michelle wrote:

> I just *Making Love* the other night on cable, and it made me think of
> movies with gay themes. Which are the best and worst of this type filmed
> for both mainstream and art house (independent) movie audiences?

Mainstream, my favorite is probably VICTORIA/VICTORIA;
THE BIRDCAGE and IN AND OUT were quite popular. I
happen to love TO WONG FOO, but despite the trio of
drag queens and John Leguazamo's drooling over the
innocent teenage boy, it really barely qualifies in my
mind as a gay movie. Don's favorite is FOUR WEDDINGS
AND A FUNERAL.

Otherwise, my favorites include:
ANOTHER COUNTRY (with a twink-age Rupert Everett)
PARTING GLANCES (romance in the age of AIDS)
POISON
BILLY'S HOLLYWOOD SCREEN KISS

Among my favorite gay-sensibility movies:
THE WOMEN
ALL ABOUT EVE
THE HAUNTING
BELL BOOK AND CANDLE
CABARET
THE WIZARD OF OZ

Finally, although many gay men would disagree with me,
I suggest THE BOYS IN THE BAND, despite
the "outdated" self-loathing expressed throughout.
I happen to like the dialogue and the acting. It's
sort of a gay WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF (although
some claim that WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF is
plenty gay enough).

I know I've left some great movies out, but
that's a start.

--M.

james jorden

Jul 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/8/99
You probably would enjoy Vito Russo's superb study of exactly that subject, THE
CELLULOID CLOSET, which discusses both overtly gay-themed films as well as
pictures with gay subtext (e.g., REBECCA and THE MALTESE FALCON)

--
james jorden
jjo...@ix.netcom.com

"No matter how golden an age is, there will always be someone
who thinks everything looks too yellow." -- Gore Vidal

ststeboy

Jul 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/8/99

michelle <d_pa...@algonquin.round.table.org> wrote in message

> I just *Making Love* the other night on cable, and it made me think of
> movies with gay themes. Which are the best and worst of this type filmed
> for both mainstream and art house (independent) movie audiences?

My favorites would include Parting Glances, Maurice, Beautiful Thing and Its
My Party. Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, was also very interesting.

Worst -- any version of the Leopold-Loeb story, including Rope, Compulsion
and Swoon.

james jorden

Jul 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/8/99
michelle wrote:

> How do all of the movies you mentioned have gay sensibilites? Expliquez
> s'il vous plait? <g>

I should leave this to Michael, but I'd like a try:

> Among my favorite gay-sensibility movies:
> THE WOMEN

The bitchiness of the humor has a basis in self-hatred; pre-liberation women
have much in common with closeted gays.

> ALL ABOUT EVE
More of the same; Bette Davis (gay icon) on board.

> THE HAUNTING
Not a clue.

> BELL BOOK AND CANDLE
Witches "pass" as "normal" people though they have wild and bizarre hidden
lives. The Ernie Kovacs character goes on about how "they have their own
clubs and meeting places...." etc.

> CABARET
Attraction between Michael York and the mysterious bisexual Baron; the York
character is based on legendary gay writer Christopher Isherwood.

> THE WIZARD OF OZ
Besides the theme of the "outsider" (like many gay kids) longing for a
different and more colorful life, the Cowardly Lion is a classic Sissy gay
stereotype.

kjd

Jul 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/8/99

james jorden wrote:

> michelle wrote:
>

> > How do all of the movies you mentioned have gay sensibilites? Expliquez
> > s'il vous plait? <g>
>

> > THE HAUNTING
> Not a clue.

Claire Bloom plays a psychic l______.

kjd

Jul 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/8/99
Mrs. Danvers's "devotion" to the first Mrs. DeWinter.

Accidents are just a fool's explanation of destiny wrote:

> In article <37854681...@ix.netcom.com>,

> james jorden <jjo...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> >You probably would enjoy Vito Russo's superb study of exactly that subject,
> THE
> >CELLULOID CLOSET, which discusses both overtly gay-themed films as well as
> >pictures with gay subtext (e.g., REBECCA and THE MALTESE FALCON)
> >

> >"No matter how golden an age is, there will always be someone
> > who thinks everything looks too yellow." -- Gore Vidal
> >

> What was the gay subtext in REBECCA?
>
> Regina, desperately trying to recall her viewing of that flick...

Grnbrier

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99
Michael Ritchie wrote:

>I know I've left some great movies out, but
>that's a start.

"Apartment Zero" was intriguing. Dreamboat Hart Bochner was a heart-stopper in
it.

Doogie

LADY XOC

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99
Some other male gay movies:
Torch Song Trilogy
Jeffery
Love, Valour, Compassion
and Lay Down with Dogs (though the first three are much better than this)

Some female movies:
Everything's Relative
Bound
All Over Me
Claire of the Moon
Bar Girls
Gia
Go Fish
French Twist (in French, but very good)
The Incredibly True Adventures of Two Girls in Love
When Night is Falling

Just a few of my favorites.
Lady Xoc

Reetswh

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99
Doogie wrote:

>"Apartment Zero" was intriguing. Dreamboat Hart Bochner was a heart-stopper
>in
>it.

What about VOTD? Down to the gut class.

Reets

Accidents are just a fool's explanation of destiny

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99

Meowmiao

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99
>michelle wrote:
>>
>> I just *Making Love* the other night on cable, and it made me think of
>> movies with gay themes. Which are the best and worst of this type filmed
>> for both mainstream and art house (independent) movie audiences?

I can't let this thread go by without mentioning the movie "Maurice"! The
scene where Rupert Graves climbs in the window and seduces Maurice...yow!!
Another good one is "The Lost Language of Cranes", starring Corey Parker and
Angus MacFadyen. It also has a yummy love scene that goes on and on.

It's not a gay movie per se, but I consider "Welcome to the Dollhouse" to have
a truly gay sensibility...the whole theme of the oppressed outsider. One of my
favorite movies of all time.

And for something really different, try two anime (Japanese animation) tapes
called "Kizuna" and "Fake". "Kizuna" is more explicit (though not "porny") and
deals with the love affair between two men, one of whom is the son of a
prominent Yakuza gangster. "Fake" is being advertised as a gay "Lethal Weapon"
and deals with two New York cops, Dee and Randy. There's another character
named JJ, who's as camp as a row of pink tents. (simile courtesy of Manga Maxx
magazine) It's funny and sexy and readily available at your local Suncoast.

~Meow
********************
Official keeper of Martin Donovan!
"You're an AMAZON, Meow!"

can...@webtv.net

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99
There are two films that i think really capture gay life: "Parting
Glances" which reminds me so much of gay life in nyc in the 70s when the
world was our oyster it makes me cry, and a south american film called
"Adios Roberto", a small film that should have been a sleeper (perhaps
someone knows it and can renew interest in it, it's a bittersweet story
about a man discovering he's gay when he moves in temporarily with a
male friend). The cuban film "LIke Strawberry for Chocolate" is also
quite good.

james jorden

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99
Accidents are just a fool's explanation of destiny wrote:

> What was the gay subtext in REBECCA?

Mrs. Danvers' overdone devotion to Rebecca.

"No matter how golden an age is, there will always be someone

GaelMcGear

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99

> BELL BOOK AND CANDLE
Witches "pass" as "normal" people though they have wild and bizarre hidden
lives. The Ernie Kovacs character goes on about how "they have their own
clubs and meeting places...." etc.

Does anyone else think that there's more than just a "hint" of a relationship
between Nickie (Jack Lemmon), Gillian's warlock brother, and the Kovacs
character?

james jorden

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99
kjd wrote:

> Mrs. Danvers's "devotion" to the first Mrs. DeWinter.

And while we're on the subject, Mankiewicz himself said he wrote the role of Eve
in ALL ABOUT EVE as a lesbian. This fact adds a really energetic subtext to the
scene with Phoebe at the end of the film.

Finn

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99

kjd <kev...@pcez.com> wrote in message news:37856B62...@pcez.com...

> james jorden wrote:
>
> > michelle wrote:
> >

> > > How do all of the movies you mentioned have gay sensibilites?
Expliquez
> > > s'il vous plait? <g>
> >

> > > THE HAUNTING
> > Not a clue.
> >

> Claire Bloom plays a psychic l______.

Oh, and of course, the forthcoming remake has Catherine Zeta Jones as a
*bisexual* city gal. Why did they change her character's sexuality? In the
book, the character (Thea? Theadore?) is a lesbian. So why the change? It
pissed me off, actually, when I found out.

Catty (a grumpy film bore)
xx

Peep...@webtv.net

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99
>Mrs. Danvers's "devotion" to the first
>Mrs.DeWinter.

Speaking of Hitch, babies, don't forget Suzanne Pleshette's lesboan-lust
for Miss Tippi in The Birds.

Bodega hugs,
Janice

--

"I think the Clinton administration has abandoned many of the most
important economic justice concerns. I´d say it´s a little late."

-- Democrat Paul Wellstone on Bill Clinton's 4-day "tour" of
poverty-stricken America.

----------------------------------

(-)> *peep* (-)> *peep* (-)> *muckmouth*

DNA409

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99
>> How do all of the movies you mentioned have gay sensibilites? Expliquez
>> s'il vous plait? <g>
>
>I should leave this to Michael, but I'd like a try:

Among my favorite gay-sensibility movies:
>> THE WOMEN
>The bitchiness of the humor has a basis in self-hatred; pre-liberation women
>have much in common with closeted gays.

I agree with the bitchiness. But, let's not forget they are rich, well dressed
bitchy women, like on Dynasty. And there is a full color fashion show in the
middle of this black and white movie. And so much of the movie takes place in
expensive department stores and beauty salons.

>> ALL ABOUT EVE
>More of the same; Bette Davis (gay icon) on board.

agreed. bitchy, biting dialoge with GREAT clothes! and furs! and it's set in
the theatre! and everyone is rich, beautiful, witty, and drinks martinis.

> THE HAUNTING<
>Not a clue.

again, I agree. I didn't understand this as a gay sensibility movie, although
it's really beautiful. There is a lesbian catwomanish character in it.

>> BELL BOOK AND CANDLE
>Witches "pass" as "normal" people though they have wild and bizarre hidden
>lives. The Ernie Kovacs character goes on about how "they have their own
>clubs and meeting places...." etc.

Actually, I never thought about it the way you put it. It makes a lot of sense.
I have loved this movie since I was a child. I also think anything with magic
is gay friendly (but I hated that boring movie with Sandra Bullock and Nicole
Kidman). And also, don't forget Kim Novak's sculpted eyebrows.

>> CABARET
>Attraction between Michael York and the mysterious bisexual Baron; the York
>character is based on legendary gay writer Christopher Isherwood.

plus the costumes, the glamour, Liza's big kooky eyes and black nail polish.
the decadence and witty humour, etc.

>> THE WIZARD OF OZ
>Besides the theme of the "outsider" (like many gay kids) longing for a
>different and more colorful life, the Cowardly Lion is a classic Sissy gay
>stereotype.<

don't forget the ruby slippers. it's all about the shoes. and all the color and
magical make believe. You don't have to have a PhD in psychology to like pretty
sparkles. :-)
Neil...your little choo choo

http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/dna409/
"Pink is the navy blue of India"- Diana Vreeland
"Wear your green cornflakes with pride"-Dolly Parton

Jeff Runner

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99
In article <27931-378...@newsd-242.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,

You mean "Strawberry and Chocolate", or the Mexican film "Like Water for
Chocolate". I think you mean the former since I don't remember any gay
characters in the latter. Both good flicks, though!

Jeff

--
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
Jeff Runner run...@ling.rochester.edu

Jon A Conrad

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99
Another movie with a gay subtext that I never see on these sorts of lists
is THE THIEF WHO CAME TO DINNER. Ryan O'Neal is this jewel thief, and
pretty much everybody knows that he is, but he charms everyone into not
giving him away. The thing is, he especially seems to "seduce" the men,
wandering around half-dressed and giving them special "entre nous"
twinkles. He gets Warren Oates to bring him a towel as he gets out of the
bath. Very odd strain to this picture that I've never seen acknowledged.

Jon

RoperII

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99
Another male gay movie;

My Beautiful Laundrette.

Michael Ritchie

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99
Meowmiao wrote:

> I can't let this thread go by without mentioning the movie "Maurice"! The
> scene where Rupert Graves climbs in the window and seduces Maurice...yow!!
> Another good one is "The Lost Language of Cranes", starring Corey Parker and
> Angus MacFadyen. It also has a yummy love scene that goes on and on.

Both are OK, but the books are better, especially
in the case of "Cranes," which I found quite
disappointing. OBJECT OF MY AFFECTION was
amusing and nice to look at, though again
the book was more amusing.

--M.

Michael Ritchie

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99
james jorden wrote:

> > How do all of the movies you mentioned have gay sensibilites? Expliquez
> > s'il vous plait? <g>
>
> I should leave this to Michael, but I'd like a try:

And you did a better job than I could have done.
My first reaction was simply to reply, "It's a
gay thing; you wouldn't understand."

> > Among my favorite gay-sensibility movies:
> > THE WOMEN
> The bitchiness of the humor has a basis in self-hatred; pre-liberation women
> have much in common with closeted gays.
>

> > ALL ABOUT EVE
> More of the same; Bette Davis (gay icon) on board.

I don't know that I would necessarily make "self-hatred"
the fountain from which all of the humor of these movies is
given a gayish spin, but your remark about
pre-lib women is right on target.

> > THE HAUNTING
> Not a clue.

Others have pointed out the Claire Bloom character,
but the Julie Harris character also comes
across as a closted l______ as well.

> > BELL BOOK AND CANDLE
> Witches "pass" as "normal" people though they have wild and bizarre hidden
> lives. The Ernie Kovacs character goes on about how "they have their own
> clubs and meeting places...." etc.

Yes, and as Gael McGear pointed out, Jack Lemmon's
character seems quite specifially to be "coded" gay,
or sexually ambiguous at the least. Doesn't he
actually say something about not "getting along"
with women?

--M.

Rinehart

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99
Finally someone who has seen the most touching movie i have ever seen on a
gay partnership- til the end at least!!!!
Torsh Song Triology is a must see- i just sob for hours...

oh yes- Philidelphia...have not seen that one listed yet and it was wall
done also!!!

Rinehart
I drink no wine before it's time
Its time its time its time!!!!

LADY XOC <lad...@aol.com> wrote in message

JaneAnne Peterson

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99
LADY XOC wrote:

> Some female movies:
> Everything's Relative
> Bound
> All Over Me
> Claire of the Moon
> Bar Girls
> Gia
> Go Fish
> French Twist (in French, but very good)
> The Incredibly True Adventures of Two Girls in Love
> When Night is Falling

And don't forget that one with k.d. lang, set in Alaska--Salmonberries?

JaneAnne

fin...@webtv.net

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99
A couple which haven't been mentioned:

My Own Private Idaho
Velvet Goldmine

Ripley Mason

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99
"Something For Everyone" British mid 70's film with Michael York and
Angela Lansbury. Saw it with "Harold and Maude' and several people were
so shocked, thay left the theatre. It was a black comedy (perfectly
teamed with H & M) a real hoot. Has anyone else seen it?

Michael Ritchie

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99

Ages ago, in a theater. It never seems to
pop up on cable. I remember thinking that
it thought it was more shocking and
titilating that it really was, but
maybe I was just going through a "jaded
youth" phase.

--M.

Michael Ritchie

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99
Rinehart wrote:

> Finally someone who has seen the most touching movie i have ever seen on a
> gay partnership- til the end at least!!!!
> Torsh Song Triology is a must see- i just sob for hours...
>
> oh yes- Philidelphia...have not seen that one listed yet and it was wall
> done also!!!

This is not intended as a nasty comment,
but both of those movies strike me as
gay movies aimed squarely at a straight
audience, especially PHILADELPHIA, not a
second of which rang true for me. The
play of TORCH SONG TRILOGY (all 3 or 4
hours of it) was great, but something
was lost in the overly literal translation
to the silver screen.

--M.

Tom Hens

Jul 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/10/99

Meowmiao <meow...@aol.comnoamspay> wrote...

> Another good one is "The Lost Language of Cranes", starring Corey Parker
> and Angus MacFadyen. It also has a yummy love scene that goes on and on.

That love scene (at least, I assume we're talking about the same scene) had
to be shot in two different versions. The movie was co-produced by the BBC
and an American TV station (I don't recall the name, a Boston PBS station I
believe). The US version has both guys wearing underwear while having sex,
the British version has them starkers. An amusing illustration of cultural
differences, I thought.

ham...@interport.net

Jul 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/10/99
I have Something for Everyone on video. It strikes me as a real missed
oportunity. Its tone is a little to buttoned down to make anything
exciting out of its outrageous story. It has some moments but overall its
a yawn. Everyone other than the daughter is too subdued.

It was directed by Harold Prince whose only other film is the tedious
Little Night Music. (How can someone work such wonders in the theater, yet
have so little sense of how to make a film narrative work?)

In article <17583-37...@newsd-152.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,

Finn

Jul 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/10/99

JaneAnne Peterson <jane...@birdke.com> wrote in message

How about the one called - I think - Siren of My Heart? It's based on a true
story (in the 50s) about two female school boarders embarking on their first
affairs - one with a male tutor and one with a local girl. When they got
caught, the town purposedly ruined the local girl's life, yet left the tutor
alone as "it was just a silly mistake". I was bawling at the end of the
film when the credit card stated that the school boarder committed suicide
soon after the 'witch hunt' had the local girl disowned by her family and
she was forced to leave the town at the age of 15. <chokes> I think it is an
Aussie film. Not too sure, but Sinead (sp?) Thornton - the Aussie actress -
was in it.

Catty (a film bore)
xx

murat

Jul 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/10/99
Doesn't WEST SIDE STORY reflect a gay sensibility? Besides the whole
"forbidden love" storyline, songs like "Somewhere" and "Gee Officer Krupke"
seem to be loaded with double entendres.

Murat

james jorden <jjo...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

> michelle wrote:
>

> > How do all of the movies you mentioned have gay sensibilites?
Expliquez
> > s'il vous plait? <g>
>
> I should leave this to Michael, but I'd like a try:
>

> > Among my favorite gay-sensibility movies:
> > THE WOMEN
> The bitchiness of the humor has a basis in self-hatred; pre-liberation
women
> have much in common with closeted gays.
>
> > ALL ABOUT EVE
> More of the same; Bette Davis (gay icon) on board.
>

> > THE HAUNTING
> Not a clue.
>

> > BELL BOOK AND CANDLE
> Witches "pass" as "normal" people though they have wild and bizarre hidden
> lives. The Ernie Kovacs character goes on about how "they have their own
> clubs and meeting places...." etc.
>

> > CABARET
> Attraction between Michael York and the mysterious bisexual Baron; the
York
> character is based on legendary gay writer Christopher Isherwood.
>

> > THE WIZARD OF OZ
> Besides the theme of the "outsider" (like many gay kids) longing for a
> different and more colorful life, the Cowardly Lion is a classic Sissy gay
> stereotype.

can...@webtv.net

Jul 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/10/99
Don't forget the off-beat film "Outrageous" with Craig Russell and
Hollis McClaren.

Michael Ritchie

Jul 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/10/99
murat wrote:

> Doesn't WEST SIDE STORY reflect a gay sensibility?

No more so than any "forbidden love" story, back
to ROMEO & JULIET. Of course, the fact that it's
a musical does give it a gay edge.

> songs like "Somewhere" and "Gee Officer Krupke"
> seem to be loaded with double entendres.

Like what? Mere male-male horseplay in
"Krupke" doesn't qualify as "gay sensibility."

--M.

james jorden

Jul 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/10/99
murat wrote:

> Doesn't WEST SIDE STORY reflect a gay sensibility?

The whole creative team for West Side Story was gay, that's true, but
they were also all Jewish. So maybe WEST SIDE STORY reflects a Jewish
sensibility.

Thomas Santilla

Jul 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/10/99
best film:"longtime companion"
best documentary:"the times of harvey milk"

l...@portal.ca

Jul 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/11/99
On Sat, 10 Jul 1999 17:06:08 -0400 (EDT), can...@webtv.net wrote:

>Don't forget the off-beat film "Outrageous" with Craig Russell and
>Hollis McClaren.

And since you mentioned a Canadian-made film with a gay theme, may I
also add "Forbidden Love". It is more of a documentary with a
sprinkling of dramatic scenes.

Has anyone mentioned "Heavenly Creatures"?

Leslie

Clare and Jo

Jul 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/11/99
Theres also Fried Green Tomatoes which I loved and Chasing Amy which I
didn't like too much
Clare

Peep...@webtv.net

Jul 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/11/99
THIS gal caught *part* of a sassified slick-flick about two gay folk
from Tawain or Hong Kong who lived together somewhere in S. America.

It was dang good & I wished I knew the name of it so I can see if it's
ever on again.

Anyone know the one I'm chatting on?!

Curious hugs,
Janice

--

"She says she is Eleanor Roosevelt and she is for the death penalty. She
says she is Eleanor Roosevelt and she and her husband promoted and then

--Jimmy Breslin on FLOTUS Hillary

MonaLisa96

Jul 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/11/99
>it made me think of
>movies with gay themes. Which are the best and worst of this type filmed
>for both mainstream and art house (independent) movie audiences

Does anyone here know the name of the movie with Shirley Maclaine and Audrey
Hepburn where they are 2 school teachers accused of being lesbians? This was
from the late 50's-early 60's if I remember correctly. EXCELLENT MOVIE.

kjd

Jul 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/11/99
I think your film is:
"Happy Together" directed by Wang Kar Wei (or Wong Kar Wei)
Awesomely cool director. :)

Michael Ritchie

Jul 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/11/99
MonaLisa96 wrote:

> Does anyone here know the name of the movie with Shirley Maclaine and Audrey
> Hepburn where they are 2 school teachers accused of being lesbians? This was
> from the late 50's-early 60's if I remember correctly. EXCELLENT MOVIE.

The Children's Hour, based on a play by Lillian
Hellman.

--M.

Andrew Connally

Jul 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/11/99
In article <3788915F...@columbus.rr.com>,
Haven't seen this mentioned yet--way back in '72, there was an
excellent tv-movie named "That Certain Summer" starring Martin Sheen
and Hal Holbrook. Holbrook had a teenaged son who didn't know his
father was gay; Sheen played his lover. Made some waves back in those
days.
--
Andrew Connally

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Deb Swanson

Jul 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/11/99
I was thinking the Wedding Banquet-- gay couple where the chinese half
of the couple is trying to hide from his parents that he is in a
commited relationship. To keep his parents from finding out he marries
a woman with green card problems. Turns out that the guy's father not
only speaks English (so he knew what was up all along) but that he has
always known that his son was gay.

I thought it was a great movie but then I've been to a chinese wedding
before so that part seemed very familiar to me.

Deb

theresa

Jul 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/11/99
Oh, Deb -- Please remember to put "spoiler" in your heading or post if you give the end to a movie that
hasn't been shown on network TV. I just bought The Wedding Banquet and now...

kjd

Jul 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/11/99
Ah! That was a great film too! You said the couple was from
the Orient, so I ASSumed they were both Asian. Somehow, I
remember that one as taking place in America (NY?), not South
America. Oh, well. Both great films.
<turns on hypn-o-tizer (tm)>
You will all watch these great flix!
You will all watch these great flix!
You will all watch these great flix!
You will all watch these great flix!

kjd--They were better than "Cats." I will watch them again and again...

murat

Jul 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/11/99
That's what I was referring to, the creative team, especially Bernstein
and Sondheim, and I assumed that Sondheim had written "Gee Officer Krupke"
to be sung not only by the misunderstood gang members, but also other
stigmatized groups in society, gays especially, and yes, James is probably
right, Jewish people as well. By the way, does anyone know if any of the
actors involved (stage or movie) were gay?

Murat
james jorden <jjo...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

Deb Swanson

Jul 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/11/99
theresa wrote:

> Oh, Deb -- Please remember to put "spoiler" in your heading or post if you give the end to a movie that
> hasn't been shown on network TV. I just bought The Wedding Banquet and now...

OH SORRY! (cringing) But you know there is no way that will ever be
shown on Network TV. Subtitles and a Gay theme? Forget it.

Deb

Peep...@webtv.net

Jul 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/11/99
Thanks for jogging my memory, Kevin. It *was* Happy Together & IIRC the
couple was from Hong Kong & lived in Buenos Aires.

Buenos Aires is ALways an ab-fab setting for flicks -- Apt. 0, as
someone already mentioned.

Hugs,
Janice, wondering if the rumors about Hart Bochner being gay are true
... ?!

fin...@webtv.net

Jul 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/11/99
monal...@aol.com (MonaLisa96)
wrote:

>Does anyone here know the name of the
>movie with Shirley Maclaine and Audrey
>Hepburn where they are 2 school teachers
>accused of being lesbians? This was from
>the late 50's-early 60's if I remember
>correctly. EXCELLENT MOVIE.

The Children's Hour (1962) directed by William Wyler who also directed
the original version These Three with the l______ism not explicit, based
on Lillian Hellman's play.

l...@portal.ca (Leslie) mentioned Heavenly Creatures--superb movie IMO.

One more: The Opposite of Sex (Lisa Kudrow wuz robbed of an Oscar if
you ask me, which of course no one did), though it's more a collision of
gay and straight characters than gay-themed.

Ben Skove

Jul 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/11/99

Deb Swanson wrote in message <378910...@pilot.infi.net>...

Just don't spill the beans about the Titanic, for heaven's sake!!!

aes, having a sinking feeling!

Michael Ritchie

Jul 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/11/99
jaded bitch wrote:

> Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I'd really like to know (or
> understand) why het actors are given gay roles, especially the more
> flamboyant roles. I'm thinking of Patrick Stewart in Jeffrey and Jason
> Alexander in Love! Valour! Compassion!. Any ideas (other than the possible
> fact that Hollywood Establishment is afraid to give an Oscar to an *openly*
> gay actor)?

[I don't recall either JEFFREY or LOVE VALOR COMPASSION
raking in the Oscars.]

Perhaps it's because they are called "actors"? And
also because you can still count the number of major
gay out actors on a small handful of fingers.

--M.

james jorden

Jul 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/11/99
fin...@webtv.net wrote:

> The Children's Hour (1962) directed by William Wyler who also directed
> the original version These Three with the l______ism not explicit, based
> on Lillian Hellman's play.

In fact, in THESE THREE, there is *no* l______ angle at all. The plot of
CHILDREN'S HOUR concerns a vindictive child who starts a false rumor that
two of her female teachers are lovers; the adaptation THESE THREE simply
changes the rumor: one of the teachers is sexually involved with the
other's *boyfriend*. Both films play out more or less the same way: the
young teachers are ruined.

THESE THREE is actually a better film, much more vital and exciting;
CHILDREN's HOUR, despite MacLaine and Hepburn, is pretty stodgy.

When Sam Goldwyn bought the film rights to the hit play THE CHILDREN'S HOUR,
his advisors warned him, "Sam, the censors will never let you film this! The
leading ladies in that play are lesbians!" To which Sam replied, "Do a
rewrite; make them Italians or something."

kjd

Jul 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/11/99

"Peep...@webtv.net" wrote:

> Hugs,
> Janice, wondering if the rumors about Hart Bochner being gay are true
> ... ?!

After seeing Hart in that movie, I prayed every night! But, in the case of
many
Hollywood people, he's probably just another hot, gorgeous schmo we want on

our side. Oh, well.... At least we can look. ;-)

ham...@interport.net

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
Larry Kert is (was?) gay. And I'm sure a few of the guys in the chorus too.

In article <7mao7i$3n1$1...@nw001t.infi.net>, "murat" <aub...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> That's what I was referring to, the creative team, especially Bernstein
> and Sondheim, and I assumed that Sondheim had written "Gee Officer Krupke"
> to be sung not only by the misunderstood gang members, but also other
> stigmatized groups in society, gays especially, and yes, James is probably
> right, Jewish people as well. By the way, does anyone know if any of the
> actors involved (stage or movie) were gay?
>
> Murat
> james jorden <jjo...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > murat wrote:
> >
> > > Doesn't WEST SIDE STORY reflect a gay sensibility?
> >
> > The whole creative team for West Side Story was gay, that's true, but
> > they were also all Jewish. So maybe WEST SIDE STORY reflects a Jewish
> > sensibility.

jaded bitch

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
Sorry for coming late into this thread, but there are two movies (both
Canadian) that I quite liked (sorry if they've already been mentioned):

One is Love and Human Remains (it has an even longer title and I can't
remember the whole thing), starring Thomas Gibson. He gave a great
performance as a gay former child actor who sees everything fall apart
around him. He was so convincing in this movie that I was shocked to find
out he was married in real life.

The second is called Eclipse. Various gay stories that happen at the same
time as a solar eclipse. Heavy movie, good acting.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I'd really like to know (or
understand) why het actors are given gay roles, especially the more
flamboyant roles. I'm thinking of Patrick Stewart in Jeffrey and Jason
Alexander in Love! Valour! Compassion!. Any ideas (other than the possible
fact that Hollywood Establishment is afraid to give an Oscar to an *openly*
gay actor)?

Oh, another movie I forgot to mention (Canadian as well) - The Hanging
Garden.

kimbo
what's wrong with a gay actor playing a gay character? Heterosexuals play
heterosexuals most of the time ...

jaded bitch

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
I was thinking of Philadelphia when I made the Oscar statement.

Michael Ritchie wrote:

> jaded bitch wrote:
> >
> > Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I'd really like to know (or
> > understand) why het actors are given gay roles, especially the more
> > flamboyant roles. I'm thinking of Patrick Stewart in Jeffrey and Jason
> > Alexander in Love! Valour! Compassion!. Any ideas (other than the possible
> fact that Hollywood Establishment is afraid to give an Oscar to an *openly*
> gay actor)?

Mugri

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99

jaded bitch <ki...@rocler.qc.ca> wrote in article
<37894C63...@rocler.qc.ca>...

> Sorry for coming late into this thread, but there are two movies (both
> Canadian) that I quite liked (sorry if they've already been mentioned):
>
> One is Love and Human Remains (it has an even longer title and I can't
> remember the whole thing), starring Thomas Gibson. He gave a great
> performance as a gay former child actor who sees everything fall apart
> around him. He was so convincing in this movie that I was shocked to find
> out he was married in real life.
>
> The second is called Eclipse. Various gay stories that happen at the same
> time as a solar eclipse. Heavy movie, good acting.

All my favourite gay-themed films happen to be Canadian. You can add Lilies
to those two already mentioned and you can find one connecting actor -
Matthew Ferguson for all three. He is the most convincing gay character (in
all of these films) I've ever seen on screen, it just makes me wonder...

Mugri

MariPS

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
I also loved (and recommend that you see):
"The Lost Language of Cranes"
"Longtime Companion"
Celluloid Closet" (documentary)
"Love, Valour, Compassion"
"The Wedding Banquet"

but I am amazed that there has been so little mention made of the British film
"Heavenly Creatures" starring a very young Kate Winslet! This is a fantastic
film (IMHO) about two schoolgirls who befriend one another, become very close
to the point of obsession, and conspire to kill one of their mothers! I believe
it's based on a true story.

In fact, just thinking about it, I'm going out to rent it again. It's somewhat
bizarre and very interesting! See it, will you?

Marion

ham...@interport.net

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
In article <19990712123436...@ng-cs1.aol.com>, mar...@aol.com
(MariPS) wrote:

[sni[p]

> but I am amazed that there has been so little mention made of the British film
> "Heavenly Creatures" starring a very young Kate Winslet! This is a fantastic
> film (IMHO) about two schoolgirls who befriend one another, become very close
> to the point of obsession, and conspire to kill one of their mothers! I
believe
> it's based on a true story.
>
> In fact, just thinking about it, I'm going out to rent it again. It's somewhat
> bizarre and very interesting! See it, will you?
>
> Marion

Heavenly Creatures is indeed based on a true story. Winslet's character is
the well-known mystery author Anne Perry. The other girl gives a really
wonderful performannce. But we all knew the pretty one would have the
career. This mirrors real life in which the rich, good-looking murderess
goes on to renown and wealth as a writer and the poor, homely girl becomes
a bookstore clerk in New Zealand.

King Daevid MacKenzie, UltimaJock!

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
...although it's a secondary plotline, I think the way Norman Jewison
handled the tragedy of the transsexual robbery accomplice in ...AND
JUSTICE FOR ALL was particularly remarkable...

--
King Daevid MacKenzie, UltimaJock! (opinions expressed solely his)
heard on WSBC/WCFJ Chicago-WGLB/WAUK/WAUX Milwaukee-WSUW Whitewater

KAR

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
I'm guessing you mean "Dog Day Afternoon" which also starred Al Pacino but
was directed by Sidney Lumet.

--
To respond directly, please delete "DIESPAMDIE" from the address.

* * * * * * *

King Daevid MacKenzie, UltimaJock!

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
In article <7mdr7t$rht$1...@ash.prod.itd.earthlink.net>, "KAR"
<ke...@DIESPAMDIEearthlink.net> quotes me 'n sez:

□ >...although it's a secondary plotline, I think the way Norman Jewison

□ >handled the tragedy of the transsexual robbery accomplice in ...AND
□ >JUSTICE FOR ALL was particularly remarkable...

□ >
□ I'm guessing you mean "Dog Day Afternoon" which also starred Al Pacino but

□ was directed by Sidney Lumet.

...no (though DOG DAY AFTERNOON wasn't too shabby, either)---in ...AND
JUSTICE FOR ALL, the first human seen on-camera is an African-American
pre-op male-to-female transsexual; during the course of the film, we learn
he was talked into helping stage the robbery of a cab driver...

JaneAnne Peterson

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
ham...@interport.net wrote:

> Heavenly Creatures is indeed based on a true story. Winslet's character is
> the well-known mystery author Anne Perry. The other girl gives a really
> wonderful performannce. But we all knew the pretty one would have the
> career. This mirrors real life in which the rich, good-looking murderess
> goes on to renown and wealth as a writer and the poor, homely girl becomes
> a bookstore clerk in New Zealand.

And, to tie this in with other ongoing threads, Anne Perry is a Mormon!
She absolutely refuses to talk about her adolescent years, the murder,
etc. She did say, around the time Heavenly Creatures came out, that any
kind of lesbian aspect to the story was entirely the creation of the
filmmakers.

Great film, though--Winslet deserved an Oscar nom for that performance.

JaneAnne

ham...@interport.net

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99
In article <378A9578...@birdke.com>, JaneAnne Peterson
<jane...@birdke.com> wrote:

> And, to tie this in with other ongoing threads, Anne Perry is a Mormon!
> She absolutely refuses to talk about her adolescent years, the murder,
> etc. She did say, around the time Heavenly Creatures came out, that any
> kind of lesbian aspect to the story was entirely the creation of the
> filmmakers.
>
> Great film, though--Winslet deserved an Oscar nom for that performance.
>
> JaneAnne

In fact, she kept so quiet about her life, it was not known that Anne
Perry was the girl until well-after the film came out. Some newpaper
revealed it. (Though the filmmakers might have known since some Anne Perry
fans I know say that some of Winslet's dialog comes close to lines from
her novels.)

The view of the girls attraction as lesbian is much older than the film.
The film itself really does not come out one way or the other about the
girls sexuality.