Remove those boots, you low-life "workman"!

R.H.Campbell

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
I don't know anything about codes or union rules, but I do know common
courtesy ! Treat a customer's home like your own, which means take your
dirty boots off upon entering. I always carry "inside shoes" for working in
a customer's home, work boots for working safely in a construction site, and
even slippers for comfort inside the customer's home in finished areas. I
know for a fact that Ive had customer referrals simply because of this one
small thing !!

I have the luxury of working for myself, but any boss that tried to stick me
with some discourteous "rule" I had to follow, over common sense and
courtesy towards my customer, would soon be wearing that dirty boot "where
the sun doesn't shine"

Monica L. wrote in message <36dc9903....@news.idt.net>...

>What do you all think & do when a customer asks you to remove your
>shoes? I was in a house the other day and the woman said that other
>workmen had said that it's "against code" to remove your boots... it
>was all I could do not to laugh. But then upon reflection I realized
>that it very well MAY be OSHA code.

robert

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
Robert wrote:

I can't imagine visiting a customer's house without taking my shoes
off. If one of my employee's entered a customer's house without taking
the shoes off they would get yelled at in a hurry. Its custom here to
remove your shoes and would be considered an insult not to remove
them.. Also the evil spirit that you can track in. Menehune's and
all. Robert /Action Alarm System/ Hawaii

Joe Paletta

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
You know this might be a good topic!!!!

How does your alarm company keep from soiling the customers floors?

We use slippers from the discount stores......!!!

Any better ideas......like the company that uses hospital slip-ons?

Thanks,

Joe Paletta
PSS

Monica L. wrote in message <36dc9903....@news.idt.net>...

>What do you all think & do when a customer asks you to remove your

>shoes? .......

R.H.Campbell

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
You must be joking, right ? Or is this rigid attitude just another of the
many reasons why consumers shouldn't deal with the large alarm conglomerates
like Securitech, ADT, Honeywell etc !?

"If we get the customer's carpet dirty, we'll pay to have it cleaned...."
will get you no bonus points from an angry consumer who sees his home
violated (yes violated !) by the same worker hired to prevent it from being
"violated' in another way !! You know, I was almost at a point where I was
beginning to believe that there might just be some hope for the large
corporations who make a habit of institutionalizing stupidity, when along
comes a statement like this which renews my faith in the inevitability of
their inability to do anything remotely sensible !!....

Keep it up guys, I just love those mass market takeovers !!!

We will not remove our boots. If we did and steped on something the
>insurence company would not pay nor would IAPA be real happy. If we
>get the customers carpet dirty we will pay to have it cleaned :-)
>
>Terry
>=====================
>Terry Schmidt
>Operations Manager
>TTE Security Systems
>Securitech CMS
>www.golden.net/~tritech
>tri...@golden.net
>Voice: 519 576-5484
>Fax: 519 576-7247
>=====================

Jacob Ashbury

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
We usually were tennis shoes. Always carry an extra pair for times it's wet
or muddy. But enter a house without shoes to do work- never.
Insurance companies, injuries from slipping, OSHA, real common sense.
We tried the hospital type slip-ons- too slippery.
A clean pair of shoes.

Monica L. wrote in message <36dc9903....@news.idt.net>...

>What do you all think & do when a customer asks you to remove your

Monica L.

Mar 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/3/99

Gregory Kitchens

Mar 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/3/99
I carry disposable medical shoe covers in my tool kit. You can pick
them up at a medical supply house. Customers with white carpet love it
and the ones that just seem to want to annoy you can't really say
much.

On Wed, 03 Mar 1999 02:10:11 GMT, wishy...@usa.net (Monica L.)

Thomas Gerchak

Mar 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/3/99
What a great question! I've gone into houses with no shoes, leaving the
perfectly clean ones, outside the front door. This hasn't been often.
It is common sense that if you are in the attic, or using power tools,
or on a ladder...you should be wearing shoes.

Courtesy can go too far. It can end up in a big hole in the ceiling
were the installer who was asked to leave his clean shoes at the door,
and just didn't have the foot arches for walking on the 2x6s, fell
'clean' through.

To answer your question, I would never enter with dirty shoes. If I had
clean ones and were asked to removed them, I 'might' accommodate
depending on the situation and the call. Definitely not the norm! If I
have to service customers that require my shoes off for the simple
principal, I would politely excuse myself and let someone else do it.
Matter of fact, I don't do residential anymore. I don't install
either. I leave that for the real professionals in that facet of our
trade.

I might reply different if the majority of my calls were in great
'masions'. What about those hospital coverings for shoes? Wouldn't
that be a nice sense of respect for the customer? Or would they freak
out? Would you slip in the kitchen? Maybe better just to take your
shoes off at their request and sue them. Just kidding. Point made.

Respectfully,
thomas

Tri-Tech Engineering

Mar 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/3/99
wrote:

>What do you all think & do when a customer asks you to remove your
>shoes? I was in a house the other day and the woman said that other
>workmen had said that it's "against code" to remove your boots... it
>was all I could do not to laugh. But then upon reflection I realized
>that it very well MAY be OSHA code.

We will not remove our boots. If we did and steped on something the

la...@flash.net

Mar 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/3/99
The soles of my RedWing boots wiill be clean and dry before I enter any
customers premise and I will comply with a reasonable reequest to put on the
equally as worn sneakers but I still remember the prowler call I responded to
as a police officer several years ago. A female stating that her dog, while
inside, had been barking furiously at the rear door and she had heard some
noises. Another officer checked the rear yard and although he only walked
about 6' inside the front door to report that the rear yard checked "OK",
the 3" white shag carpet bore evidence that the ladies' dog had recently "done
its' business" out back. The only thing I could think of to say was "well you
really stepped in it this time". BTW, his shoes were otherwise very clean and
shiny. Guess it really depends on who you are.

Don F - SoCal Alarm Dealer

In article <36dc9903....@news.idt.net>,

wishy...@usa.net (Monica L.) wrote:

> What do you all think & do when a customer asks you to remove your
> shoes? I was in a house the other day and the woman said that other
> workmen had said that it's "against code" to remove your boots... it
> was all I could do not to laugh. But then upon reflection I realized
> that it very well MAY be OSHA code.

Mark Leuck

Mar 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/3/99
After seeing a co-worker almost ruin someones white carpets I alway removed
my shoes before coming into the house, got lots of compliments for it too

Mark Leuck

Mar 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/3/99

Thomas Gerchak wrote in message <36DCA80C...@flash.net>...

>What a great question! I've gone into houses with no shoes, leaving the
>perfectly clean ones, outside the front door. This hasn't been often.
>It is common sense that if you are in the attic, or using power tools,
>or on a ladder...you should be wearing shoes.
>
>Courtesy can go too far. It can end up in a big hole in the ceiling
>were the installer who was asked to leave his clean shoes at the door,
>and just didn't have the foot arches for walking on the 2x6s, fell
>'clean' through.

Attic work is another story, when walking around the house I always removed
my shoes, then put em on in the attic, there's no way I'm tromping around
there shoeless

>To answer your question, I would never enter with dirty shoes. If I had
>clean ones and were asked to removed them,

It didn't matter to me if my shoes were clean, I always removed them,

Jacob Ashbury

Mar 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/3/99
Yep- I agree.
Once in a 'blue moon' such as white carpet, I'll remove shoes for the look
around. Ain't no way I'm climbing a ladder or heading to an attic without
shoes.
Respect?
Common sense tells me (of course this is my own view of sense) that I should
not go bare-footed, shirtless or pantless to someone's house to work.
I've taken a shirt off after a dirty crawl, washed off pants with garden
hoses, changed into/out of coveralls and changed shoes many times. But bare
footed? Must be a Yankee thing
Sun Alarm
Service a priority
North and central Alabama, central Tennessee
ch...@mindsping.com
Robert L Bass wrote in message ...
><D...@nonegiven.com> wrote:
>>
>> Take your shoes off! It's good to show professionalism
>> in your trade....
>
>Bad idea. You need to protect yourself from injury *and*
>protect your customer's property. If it's muddy out, just
>bring a clean pair of work shoes. Never work without
>shoes.
>
>Regards,
>Robert L Bass
>
>==========================>
>Bass Home Electronics
>The Online DIY Alarm Store
>http://www.BassHome.com
>80 Bentwood Road
>West Hartford, CT 06107
>860-561-9542 voice
>860-521-2143 fax
>==========================>

Monica L.

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99
wrote:

>What do you all think & do when a customer asks you to remove your
>shoes? I was in a house the other day and the woman said that other
>workmen had said that it's "against code" to remove your boots... it
>was all I could do not to laugh. But then upon reflection I realized
>that it very well MAY be OSHA code.

Holy crap!! Talk about overnight thread growth! :-)

Personally, I do not respect people who don't understand that floors
are meant to be walked on and WILL get dirty. It's a real sign of a
sick mind when you have to tiptoe around your own house...

Having SAID that, I try to accommodate people by wearing tennis
shoes most of the time. Women seen to freak-out when they see
work boots. In all my experience I have only made footprints that
I'm aware of probably half a dozen times.

I feel that it's ridiculous to expect someone to put their shoes back
on everytime they have to run to the basement, attic, or truck.
There is also the factor that I'm not comfortable in my stocking feet
and have ALWAYS worn at least slippers while growing-up.

Ok, FLAME me! :-)

D...@nonegiven.com

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99
On Thu, 04 Mar 1999 00:40:58 GMT, wishy...@usa.net (Monica L.)
wrote:

>On Wed, 03 Mar 1999 02:10:11 GMT, wishy...@usa.net (Monica L.)
>wrote:
>

>>What do you all think & do when a customer asks you to remove your
>>shoes? I was in a house the other day and the woman said that other
>>workmen had said that it's "against code" to remove your boots... it
>>was all I could do not to laugh. But then upon reflection I realized
>>that it very well MAY be OSHA code.

Take your shoes off! It's good to show professionalism in your trade

and in your respect for your customer's property. In fact, as
mentioned earlier in this thread, you are paid to protect their
property. Just like the mechanic that puts the apron on you car's
fender to keep from scratching the paintjob when working on it, we
also take the extra step and remove our shoes. For basements and
attics, not usually!

Robert L Bass

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99
<D...@nonegiven.com> wrote:

> Take your shoes off! It's good to show professionalism

Robert L Bass

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99
Robert, we agree about courtesy to the client. But perhaps you can stay
safe while also maintaining your high personal standards as well. Keep an
extra pair of work shoes in your truck. If you have to get your feet muddy,
grab the other zapats and change at the door. Now your client's carpet
stays neat and you get to leave with the same number of toes as when you
arrived.

I know you only want to do what's best for the customer. I suggest you also
be careful of your own safety. Some of our tools are heavy and sharp.
Besides, blood stains are probably even harder to remove than mud.

Regards,
Robert L Bass

==========================>
Bass Home Electronics
The Online DIY Alarm Store
http://www.BassHome.com
80 Bentwood Road
West Hartford, CT 06107
860-561-9542 voice
860-521-2143 fax
==========================>

R.H.Campbell wrote in message ...

>I don't know anything about codes or union rules, but I do know common
>courtesy ! Treat a customer's home like your own, which means take your
>dirty boots off upon entering. I always carry "inside shoes" for working in
>a customer's home, work boots for working safely in a construction site,
and
>even slippers for comfort inside the customer's home in finished areas. I
>know for a fact that Ive had customer referrals simply because of this one
>small thing !!
>

>I have the luxury of working for myself, but any boss that tried to stick
me

>with some discourteous "rule" I had to follow, over common sense and
>courtesy towards my customer, would soon be wearing that dirty boot "where
>the sun doesn't shine"

Monica L.

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99
On Wed, 3 Mar 1999 21:59:18 -0600, "Jacob Ashbury"
<ch...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Yep- I agree.
>Once in a 'blue moon' such as white carpet, I'll remove shoes for the look
>around. Ain't no way I'm climbing a ladder or heading to an attic without
>shoes.
>Respect?
>Common sense tells me (of course this is my own view of sense) that I should
>not go bare-footed, shirtless or pantless to someone's house to work.
>I've taken a shirt off after a dirty crawl, washed off pants with garden
>hoses, changed into/out of coveralls and changed shoes many times. But bare
>footed? Must be a Yankee thing
>Sun Alarm

Good one! You're pretty funny for a twig-chewin' Southerner! LOL

Jacob Ashbury

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99
Yea, I fell in a septic tank once- under a house!
Was standing water, looked to be two inches deep. Slosh, slosh then OOPS.
When I crawled out my partner hosed me off. It was winter- real cold. I
took my shoes off at his house.
(Twigs?? Hell, limbs!)

Monica L.

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99
On Thu, 4 Mar 1999 22:17:04 -0600, "Jacob Ashbury"
<ch...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Yea, I fell in a septic tank once- under a house!
>Was standing water, looked to be two inches deep. Slosh, slosh then OOPS.
>When I crawled out my partner hosed me off. It was winter- real cold. I
>took my shoes off at his house.
>(Twigs?? Hell, limbs!)
>Monica L. wrote in message <36df0f8d...@news.idt.net>...
>>On Wed, 3 Mar 1999 21:59:18 -0600, "Jacob Ashbury"
>><ch...@mindspring.com> wrote:

That one went to the printer! :-)

Jacob Ashbury

Mar 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/7/99
My wife made me 'strip' in the garage when I got home. She said I "smelled
green."
(I used to wonder what colors smelled like- I now know what green smells
like)