Master Code Reset - Caddx NX-8

mtaylor

Dec 26, 2000, 4:41:49 PM12/26/00
Can someone tell me how to do a master code reset on a Caddx NX-8?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mike Tolliver
t1...@bellsouth.net

Robert L Bass

Dec 26, 2000, 6:53:02 PM12/26/00
Hi Mike,

Do you want to do a "factory default" on the NX-8 panel? If that is what
you want to do, click the following link for the manual. Go to page 8 and
follow the instructions for "Loading Factory Defaults" in the center of the
page.

http://www.bass-home.com/Manuals/Caddx/nx8-installation.pdf

NOTE: Doing this will clear the program, requiring you to program the entire
system from scratch. Please be absolutely certain this is what you want to
do before doing so.

If all you want is to change the Download Access Code, that is stored in
Location 20. Follow the instructions for changing that value alone.

Another significant code is the "Go To Program" code, found in location 42.
It's a 4- or 6-digit code. This is the code you use to enter programming
mode.

To change any item, enter programming as follows:

Disarm the system.
Press [*]-[8].
Enter the current "Go To Program" code.
Press [0]-[#] to program functions of the NX-8 master control panel itself.
Enter the location number you wish to display/alter, followed by the [#]
key.
Enter the desired new data, followed by the [*] key.
After you press the [*] key the program will advance to the next segment.
Change it if needed and press [*] to scroll on.

For more detailed instructions, see page 9 of the manual I referenced above.

Regards,
Robert L Bass

=============================>
Bass Home Electronics
The Online DIY Alarm Store
http://www.Bass-Home.com
4883 Fallcrest Circle
Sarasota, FL 34233
877-722-8900 Sales & Tech Support
941-925-9747 voice (Florida)
941-923-6238 fax
Rober...@home.com
=============================>

"mtaylor" <t1...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

Mark Leuck

Dec 26, 2000, 8:03:49 PM12/26/00
NO! jeez don't do that

1. Enter * 8 + 9713 + 0 + # (Ready light will flash)
2. Press 43 + #
3. Turn on Light 4 then * + # (Makes Installer Code a Master Code)
4. Press EXIT twice (Exits Programming)
5. Now program Master (User 01) using the Installer Code

>"Robert L Bass" <rober...@home.com> wrote in message

Jacob Ashbury

Dec 26, 2000, 8:39:32 PM12/26/00
Now Mark- you just can't be doing this in the NG. You are SUPPOSED to send
Bass an e-mail with the real instructions so that he can post a "correction"
and try to appear brilliant instead of as nothing more than a book clerk.
Help your buddy out Mark- don't let the rest of the world know what many of
us already do.
Just some friendly advice-

Peace (piss? whatever)

Jake-
"Mark Leuck" <mle...@iadfw.net> wrote in message

Robert L Bass

Dec 26, 2000, 8:53:35 PM12/26/00
Leave it to our resident programming expert (Mark, the Super-Downloader)....
:)

You're absolutely right, Mark. Thanks.

Regards,
Robert L Bass

=============================>
Bass Home Electronics
The Online DIY Alarm Store
http://www.Bass-Home.com
4883 Fallcrest Circle
Sarasota, FL 34233
877-722-8900 Sales & Tech Support
941-925-9747 voice (Florida)
941-923-6238 fax
Rober...@home.com
=============================>

Mark Leuck

Dec 26, 2000, 10:10:07 PM12/26/00

"Jacob Ashbury" <ch...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> Now Mark- you just can't be doing this in the NG. You are SUPPOSED to
send
> Bass an e-mail with the real instructions so that he can post a
"correction"
> and try to appear brilliant instead of as nothing more than a book clerk.
> Help your buddy out Mark- don't let the rest of the world know what many
of
> us already do.
> Just some friendly advice-
>
> Peace (piss? whatever)
>
> Jake-

Why do that when we can always count on you sniping from our ankles? :)

Mark Leuck

Dec 26, 2000, 10:10:59 PM12/26/00

> Leave it to our resident programming expert (Mark, the
Super-Downloader)....
> :)
>
> You're absolutely right, Mark. Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Robert L Bass

No offense but too many people's solutions seem to be to default the panel
and there have been only few times I've ever had to do that

Robert L Bass

Dec 27, 2000, 12:20:47 AM12/27/00
My post included a note to that effect. However, your reply was better.
Thanks for the correction.

Regards,
Robert L Bass

=============================>
Bass Home Electronics
The Online DIY Alarm Store
http://www.Bass-Home.com
4883 Fallcrest Circle
Sarasota, FL 34233
877-722-8900 Sales & Tech Support
941-925-9747 voice (Florida)
941-923-6238 fax
Rober...@home.com
=============================>

"Mark Leuck" <mle...@iadfw.net> wrote in message

mtaylor

Dec 27, 2000, 3:37:59 AM12/27/00
Thanks for all your responses. I now realize what I did wrong. I
made the master code the same as the "go to program" code but didn't
have the latter enabled as a master code (does that make sense?)
Evidently, the panel defalts to the settings for the "go to program"
code. Enabling it as a master in location 43 (I think) did the trick.

Thanks again,
Mike Tolliver

Jacob Ashbury

Dec 27, 2000, 3:47:09 AM12/27/00
Us??
From your ankles?
Not even close to the ankles "Tex."

Nose to nose

Jake-
"Mark Leuck" <mle...@iadfw.net> wrote in message

georgen...@gmail.com

Feb 5, 2018, 3:41:53 PM2/5/18
Hie. default go to programing code (9713)
was changed by someone... I am failing now to program the panel... what can I do to reset the go to programing code back to 9713.

ABLE1

Feb 5, 2018, 11:01:33 PM2/5/18
On 2/5/2018 3:41 PM, georgen...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hie. default go to programing code (9713)
> was changed by someone... I am failing now to program the panel... what can I do to reset the go to programing code back to 9713.

The 9713 Installer Code was most likely changed by the
installer to protect the programming data from being
modified so that the customers security will not be
compromised at the worst possible time.

There are some backdoor techno ways to do what you ask,"+$'s"
but, the simplest thing would be to just buy "-<$" a new fresh
NX-8V2 board and you will have your 9713 the way you want.

That is assuming your are the "owner" of the system and
not somebody trying to find out how to be stupid.

Besides, if you want "security" to be "security" why would
you think it should be a simple thing to circumvent??

Can I assist further?? .............. Maybe................
Will I, Nooooooooooooooooooo

Good luck!!

Bob La Londe

Feb 8, 2018, 6:49:00 PM2/8/18
I liked the architecture of the NX8(E). I don't know why I never
installed more of them. Were they one of those companies that finally
got a good product and then sold out? (I hated the old Ranger panels.)
I really liked the expansion cabinets that powered all their own devices
so expanding the system didn't overload it. It made putting multiple
buildings on a single system dead easy.

ABLE1

Feb 8, 2018, 9:51:07 PM2/8/18
I agree Bob,
I can only hope that they don't go away anytime soon.
Or if there is a replacement, that it be backward compatible.
Of course UTC/GE will never listen to little ol' me.

mleuck

Feb 9, 2018, 12:01:28 AM2/9/18
On Thursday, February 8, 2018 at 5:49:00 PM UTC-6, Bob La Londe wrote:

> I liked the architecture of the NX8(E). I don't know why I never
> installed more of them. Were they one of those companies that finally
> got a good product and then sold out? (I hated the old Ranger panels.)
> I really liked the expansion cabinets that powered all their own devices
> so expanding the system didn't overload it. It made putting multiple
> buildings on a single system dead easy.

I liked it as well with the exception of wireless sensor programming which appeared to be grafted on when ITI purchased them

I also liked the old Ranger panels, did quite a few 8600 and 8980's

samc...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2019, 5:52:34 PM1/5/19

I have the same problem trying to get NX-8V2 program code back to default. I purchased a home which has a NX-8V2 security system installed. The installer is no longer in business and the Program Code has been changed from the default. I purchased an NX-588E and downloaded DL900 from Interlogix thinking I could re-load the firmware and get the codes back to default. Using an old laptop running Windows XP with SP3 I was able to install and run the programs without error. However when I try to connect to the alarm panel I get the error: "Error Reading data from Module number 0.....83". I'm not at all familiar with alarm systems. Can anyone give me any ideas?

ABLE1

Jan 5, 2019, 6:04:11 PM1/5/19
On 1/5/2019 5:52 PM, samc...@gmail.com wrote:

> I have the same problem trying to get NX-8V2 program code back to default. I purchased a home which has a NX-8V2 security system installed. The installer is no longer in business and the Program Code has been changed from the default. I purchased an NX-588E and downloaded DL900 from Interlogix thinking I could re-load the firmware and get the codes back to default. Using an old laptop running Windows XP with SP3 I was able to install and run the programs without error. However when I try to connect to the alarm panel I get the error: "Error Reading data from Module number 0.....83". I'm not at all familiar with alarm systems. Can anyone give me any ideas?

Simple: Buy a new board a swap it in................

https://www.google.com/search?q=NX-8V2&oq=NX-8V2&aqs=chrome..69i57.179742289j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Have a better day!!

Les

mleuck

Jan 7, 2019, 11:31:56 PM1/7/19
On Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 4:52:34 PM UTC-6, samc...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have the same problem trying to get NX-8V2 program code back to default. I purchased a home which has a NX-8V2 security system installed. The installer is no longer in business and the Program Code has been changed from the default. I purchased an NX-588E and downloaded DL900 from Interlogix thinking I could re-load the firmware and get the codes back to default. Using an old laptop running Windows XP with SP3 I was able to install and run the programs without error. However when I try to connect to the alarm panel I get the error: "Error Reading data from Module number 0.....83". I'm not at all familiar with alarm systems. Can anyone give me any ideas?

Module 0 is the panel itself, My bet is you are trying to do this with an incompatible modem, you can't connect to that panel with most if not all internal laptop modems

You might want to instead do as ABLE1 says and swap out the board, much less hassle

Hogan

Jan 11, 2019, 6:22:32 PM1/11/19
If you can get a direct connect adapter, you can access the panel and change whatever you want, even if they changed all the lockout parameters. But, it would be easier for a homeowner to just buy a board as others have said, and just program it the way you want.

Jim Davis

Jan 12, 2019, 8:03:35 PM1/12/19
On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 6:22:32 PM UTC-5, Hogan wrote:
> If you can get a direct connect adapter, you can access the panel and change whatever you want, even if they changed all the lockout parameters. But, it would be easier for a homeowner to just buy a board as others have said, and just program it the way you want.

One could also try every one of the possible permutations of numerical codes ……… but …… "AS OTHERS HAVE SAID", it would be easier to just buy a board and program it the way you want.

What do you think Les? Rocky? Anyone else think that it would be easier to buy another board?

Come ON. Lets hear it from everyone !

Buy another board!
Buy another board!
Buy another board!

ABLE1

Jan 12, 2019, 10:13:02 PM1/12/19
Jim,
I said it days ago.

This new guy either did one of three things.

Did as I said and bought a new board
Just never came back to find his answer.
Is still looking for a better answer.

Jim, you are right trying to crack a 8 digit code would be nuts.
Better off playing the lottery.
You would find out much quicker that you lost.

Les

RTS

Jan 12, 2019, 11:16:21 PM1/12/19
yea, our standard answer to lost codes is to replace the board or
complete panel..
(( we have made a phone spook to directly hook our laptop to a panel and
bypass codes to enter programming mode.. but that's on Honeywell's and
doesn't work on all manufacturer's.. ))
Never tried it on a Caddix.

--

*Rocky T. Squirrel, esq.*

ABLE1

Jan 13, 2019, 9:14:10 AM1/13/19
There is something that is made for the Caddx/Networx by somebody
but it is not worth the expense for a homeowner. Then for a dealer
it is another story of investment..................or not.

Then there is the question of it actually working..........or not.

Les

Bob La Londe

Jan 13, 2019, 3:29:33 PM1/13/19

"mleuck" wrote in message
**** This is probably true but *** You might want to instead do as ABLE1
says and swap out the board, much less hassle

I'm pretty sure NX-588E is the direct link module. No modem required. Also
the NX series of panels from Caddx (and I am pretty sure their newer
overlord) download remotely just fie with many more readily available and
slightly more modern modems. I used a US Robotics Sportster to download
them remotely.

The biggest headache you get when you do a board swap is finding any and all
modules, keypads, and accessories that were on the system, but may not have
been at the main panel. I liked the NX8E myself because I could put a self
contained and self powered expansion module in another building and wire
everything up almost like it was its own alarm panel, and then just run 4
wires (heavier gage) back to the main panel in the main building. No matter
how much you ran off the expansion modules it only put a single keypad load
on the main panel because it had its own power supply. Even for sirens.
Used to do much the same thing with the old FBII XL4 except that the
expansion modules for it still required panel power as did all the
accessories.

Hogan

Jan 13, 2019, 11:49:49 PM1/13/19
For alarm installers: The direct connect module just hooks up to the board keypad wiring and can connect to the laptop thru a usb port. It has the ability to store 4 separate panel configurations to quickly upload to a panel onsite, if you require that.
It is best used for direct access to a locked board. With it, you do not need to know what any master, installer, or download access code is. It makes Networx/Caddx panels take-over-able very quickly. You just need to know how to use it. This way, you save programming the board from scratch; just make sure you still check every location though.
It is a little slower than getting into a Honeywell panel, but the few minutes is well worth it.

For thrifty homeowners: And yesss, home owners should buy a new board... I just hope that you understand that programming a msinboard is not for novices. You do want your family safe from burglars and fires, right? There are a lot of things to know about programming that only comes with experience. But then again, you are obviously not getting monitoring. Therefore, you don't know what you are missing. The bottom line is that you probably just want to save money.

Hogan

mleuck

Jan 14, 2019, 12:21:03 AM1/14/19
It's a 6-digit code and I doubt the original installers used more than 4

mleuck

Jan 14, 2019, 12:22:33 AM1/14/19
There was a guy years ago who posted here about interfacing a keypad board to something else and fool the panel into getting into programming

ABLE1

Jan 14, 2019, 8:05:14 AM1/14/19
Not talking about the Installer Code.

The Download Access Code is defaulted at 84800000.
By my count that is a 8-digit code and 84 million+ possible variations.

Les

HOGAN

Jan 16, 2019, 12:34:23 AM1/16/19

> Not talking about the Installer Code.
>
> The Download Access Code is defaulted at 84800000.
> By my count that is a 8-digit code and 84 million+ possible variations.

Les

There is nothing to figure out in regards to the access code or the installer code, to access any locked Networx/Caddx board. You can get into the programming without knowing the 84+ million variations in less than a minute. Those boards are not really locked out, thanks to the direct connect module.

Hogan

ABLE1

Jan 16, 2019, 2:07:41 PM1/16/19
Hogan,

Odd.............. When I connect to my NX panels with my laptop/NX588
(aka direct connect module) and I have changed the Access Code from my
office machine, I get a notice error of wrong access code and a
disconnect.

That is when I remembered that I needed to update the Access Code in my
laptop to match the panel in order to connect and transfer data.

I never saw anything that indicated:
"Click here to ignore the Access Code"

Not that I ever had need to look for an alternative, but, never saw any
thing like that. My opinion has and is if the codes don't match you
don't get in.

Les

Hogan

Jan 17, 2019, 12:34:18 AM1/17/19
Well Les, no, there isn't anything in the programming that lets you ignore the access code. But, I did mention this, "You just need to know how to use it."

Now that I have your interest peaked, I will describe what I mean using a picture example. Anyone who is familiar with the device, will figure out what I mean without my blatantly letting unscrupulous characters into the knowledge of it.

So first, let's pretend that you have a round building with apartments all along the outer edges of the building. In the center you have a round hall/room where all the apartment doors can be accessed, but you only have one door in the round hall. That room revolves, and can give you access to any apartment. So, if you need to get into Apt A, you revolve to the door of apartment A. To get into Apt A, you do need the 'Key'. You then insert the right key for apt A, and then you get into apt A. You can then do whatever you want to do in apt A.

The people who made the round building with the center access room, thought that they were very smart and that there would never be a security breach. But fortunately, they were not. You see, once the center door to access a specific apartment was unlocked, the center access door stays unlocked. All one has to do is rotate the center room, and you can get into any other apartment. The other individual apartment doors are never locked once the center room door is unlocked for any individual apartment.

I would like to claim that I figured it out all by myself, but that would not be true. I was able a certain while ago to beg a "knowledgeable person" to help me out with an accidentally locked board. His generosity greatly helped me to understand all of the security holes in most panels.

For example, 'Honeydew' melons are the easiest to 'crack'. The door is the chip 'bowl'. Just make sure that the chips are fresh and crispy new, in the bowl... and all that your heart desires will be easily available. Again, the doors are always open and unlocked. Don't even bother to break out the old Laptop.

Also, those infamous 'Mona T Ronics' that I have heard about in this forum, that despicably cause devastating addictions to unsuspecting buyers, are also just as easily thwarted. The desired 'secretive' addiction intended by its masters to prevent the communication to the 911 operators, are again defeated by having fresh, wholesome chips in the bowl. After you are all done, just throw the old chips back into the bowl.

Hope this helps you. Hogan

ABLE1

Jan 17, 2019, 9:19:54 AM1/17/19
When I was a kid and had no job I wanted buy a $97 dollar thingie at the
store but didn't have the $97 dollars since I had no job.So I went to my
Mother and said Mom I want to buy this $97 dollar thingie can you help
me out?? She said sure son, here is $50. I said thanks Mom. So then I
went to my Dad and said that Mom just gave me $50 to help me buy a $97
dollar thingie, can you help me out?? He said sure son, here is $50.
So now I have $100. So I go to the store and buy the $97 dollar thingie
which had tax included. The store clerk gave me $3 dollars back. So I
went home and said to my Mom, Mom I didn't need all $50 dollars so here
is a dollar back. She said, thank you son. I then when to my Dad and
said I didn't need all $50 dollars so here is a dollar back. He said
thank you son. So now my Mom and Dad gave me $49 dollars each.
$49 + $49 = $98 I have a dollar in my hand which is now a total of $99
dollars. What happened to the other dollar??
I have been looking for it for years. Can you help??

Thanks for reading.

Les

doug

Jan 17, 2019, 12:13:13 PM1/17/19

"ABLE1" <some...@nowhere.net> wrote in message
Its in apartment A under a bowl of fresh & crispy chips

ABLE1

Jan 17, 2019, 5:01:24 PM1/17/19
ROFLOL.........................

Jim Davis

Jan 17, 2019, 6:41:59 PM1/17/19
On Thursday, January 17, 2019 at 12:13:13 PM UTC-5, doug wrote:

> Its in apartment A under a bowl of fresh & crispy chips

Ha ha ha ha ha !!!

Thats the funniest thing I've heard in a long long time.

Very good Doug

ABLE1

Jan 17, 2019, 7:06:53 PM1/17/19
Yea, Kudos Doug

I am still ROFLOL..............

Les

Jim Davis

Jan 17, 2019, 7:24:42 PM1/17/19
I've been chuckling over that for an hour now.

Hogan

Jan 17, 2019, 8:20:13 PM1/17/19
Well Doug, just before I read your reply, I was in a seriously bad mood. And then I read your reply, and I burst out laughing and have been laughing all day about it. So, thanks for your witty humor. I really do appreciate it. It made my day.

And Les, shame on you for lying to your mom and dad and withholding 50 cents from each of them... the dollar was always in your pocket no matter how you tell the story. It reminds me of the guy who asks for change for a $20 bill from a cashier, and keeps going back and forth changing his mind on how he wants it; and comes away with $25.

So, did you try it out? Let me know when you get a chance.

Hogan

Jan 18, 2019, 3:32:01 PM1/18/19
Oh yes, the dip was delivered to Apt B by mistake.

tool...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2019, 4:04:10 PM1/26/19
May I jump into your group?
I need help.

I bought a Nx-6 panel off Ebay, (I paid $7 plus $3 shipping). Its locked and I should just toss it, BUT I am stubborn and stupid.....
I have NX590 and I can connect to the panel via TCP/IP then it errors on reading Module 0, wont let me read or write. It will let me look at the "keypad status" so I think I am really connected?
I downloaded NXprog, it opens saying "finding COM error" saying it cannot find the file specified. Can i flash this board via the NX590? Where would I find the encrypted file the NXprog is looking for?
Any backdoors (or interior rooms) that I can default this panel?

The rest of the story......
I have a NX-6 board monitoring my home, I have doubled the zones. It randomly alarms on zone 10.
Its NOT the wiring, resistors or contacts - have switched all (several times), and have concluded its a problem with the circuit board with always zone 10. Bought this replacement board to replace mine. Not sure if I am up to the task but would it be an option to switch the main "chip" on the board where the locked info is stored? At this point both panels are useless to me but not so skilled on de-soldering.

THANKS!
J.J.

ABLE1

Jan 26, 2019, 6:47:25 PM1/26/19
????????????????????????????????????????????
I will copy/paste what I typed on 1/5/2019. Only difference will be if
you must get a NX-6V2 but the NX-8V2 is worth the little extra dollars.

Hogan

Jan 27, 2019, 4:49:12 PM1/27/19
[...]

Well, JJ, you may jump in...but I am not quite sure that you know what you are getting into.

First off, you paid way too much for that board at $7... because it's locked out.

2nd, to be sure that there is or isn't anything wrong on your board, switch everything on zone 10 to a totally different physical board zone, and vice-versa... because you did not eliminate a possible wiring issue in your calculations... rats & mice just love wires to "death" ("well, that's how I got rid of Egor-the-rat-from-Hell some years ago, but that's another story for another time!")

3rd, redo the programming for those zones EVEN if they are the same types. Then, and only then, will you know that there is really something wrong with the specific board zone. Of course, zone 10 is using a different resistor for the upper zones. Make sure that your wiring is 'clean' so that no wires or resistors are touching anything else.

Also, Networx mainboards should be powered down completely after any problems. They just love to hang on to 'previous issues' in the buffer. It has been drilled into my sub-conscious after repeated calls to tech support for various reasons over the years, and they all say, 'Make sure to power down completely'. As soon as I start getting into any troubles with a Networx board, I slowly enter into a trance, with weird lights flashing all around, and I hear, P O W E R D O W N N O W! After the board and I regain consciousness, the troubles are all gone.

And unsoldering 2 board chips, and re-soldering, no!... just buy a new board; or buy yourself a new round apartment building and move the apts around. And don't forget, there is a $1 bill waiting for you, as per Doug earlier in his post, "Its in apartment A under a bowl of fresh & crispy chips."

tool...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2019, 5:43:27 PM1/27/19
THANKS for the reply and suggestions.
1. The $7 board, the seller did know the history of the board - if the default codes were changed. I took a chance and lost.
2. When zone 10 (originally was one window, top and bottom sash) first acted up I did in order:
a. New contacts and magnets (I solder connections between wire and contact wire and heat shrink wrap)
b. new resistors, (both the doubler resistors on that screw) and I solder the connection between wire and resistor
c. rewired from the panel to the window
d. switched the wires of this window to zone 12 and a different window to zone 10
This is a weekend home and each time after leaving Zone 10 would trip. Random timing, usually after 1 day but not longer than 3 days
3. What do you mean "re-do" the programing for this zone? Default the board and re-write it?? switch zone 10 to a door and make it an entry zone?
YES, I made sure nothing is touching, I have heat shrink wrap on all connections at resistors
4. I power down every time I make a change on the board when using DL900 ( I thought I read somewhere along the way that was necessary when making programing changes)??
SO I am certain that it was at min. powered down when the zone wires were swapped and I swapped the wiring of zone 10 and re-names the zones
5. Yeah - swapping the chips is a stupid idea but I pre-warned that I am "stubborn and stupid" :)

The last 6 weeks or so I "bypass" zone 10 when arming and no false alarms

ABLE1

Jan 27, 2019, 6:21:24 PM1/27/19
Jump out zone 10 with the proper resistor at the board and arm the
system without the bypassing the zone.

Depending on what happens you will know where the problem lies.

Les

Jim Davis

Jan 28, 2019, 2:58:19 PM1/28/19
Also, just to make sure, measure the value of the resistors.