Kymco People 150 oil change interval and filter

Kate

Jul 2, 2004, 5:36:32 PM7/2/04
Kymco People 150 owners: How often do you change your oil? And, does
the People 150 have an oil filter? (I'll tell you why I need to ask
that after I get some responses... I don't want to bias your answer
with my situation.) Thanks!

-Kate

SoCalMike

Jul 2, 2004, 5:42:07 PM7/2/04

AFAIK, no filter. and doesnt it have an oil change indicator?

> -Kate

Bryce Ludwig

Jul 2, 2004, 6:06:51 PM7/2/04
SoCalMike <mikein562...@hotmail.com> wrote in news:PEkFc.14113$%_
6.2071@attbi_s01:

The People has an oil screen or oil slinger. This uses a screen and the
laws of interia to separate sludge from oil. Fiat used this on the 850
series, and I believe the 500 and 600 as well.

--
Ciao,
Bryce Ludwig

SoCalMike

Jul 2, 2004, 10:32:00 PM7/2/04

honda used it on the 150, 250, and helix also. im not dissing it- it
seems to work well and is cheaper than buying a paper cartrige filter.

Kate Gustavsen

Jul 3, 2004, 10:57:27 AM7/3/04

} and doesnt it have an oil change indicator?

Yeah, but I was hoping someone would look at the manual (not available
online, no response yet from query to strmotorsports) and tell me what it
says the recommended interval is. Or tell me how often, in practice, the
indicator light goes on.

I got secondhand information that because it has no filter the Kymco
needed an oil change every 1000 km (620 miles), whereas the
otherwise-comparable Piaggio LT150 - see, I'm still trying to decide
between the two - only needs an oil change every 2500 *miles*.

It wouldn't influence my decision except that buying 4 times the oil will
start to add significantly to the cost over the lifetime of the bike -
possibly offset by the surprisingly low price of Kymco parts if I need
them, I guess.

-Kate

Phil_R

Jul 3, 2004, 11:52:44 AM7/3/04
"Kate Gustavsen" <ka...@OCF.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:

<< I got secondhand information that because it has no filter the Kymco
needed an oil change every 1000 km (620 miles), whereas the
otherwise-comparable Piaggio LT150 - see, I'm still trying to decide between
the two - only needs an oil change every 2500 *miles*. It wouldn't
influence my decision except that buying 4 times the oil will start to add
significantly to the cost over the lifetime of the bike - >>

The oil change indicator will come on every 2,000km... 1240 miles between
oil changes compared to 2500 miles for the Piaggio LT150. Purchasing 2x the
oil will be offset by the cost of an oil filter for the LT150.
--
Phil
Live Oak, FL

Jan Vagle

Jul 3, 2004, 12:52:56 PM7/3/04

You don't need to change oil. It's worn out and ready to get thrown in the
garbage at about the same time..

Let's say around 10.000 mls :P

--
Jan Vagle
.............................oOo

Bryce Ludwig

Jul 3, 2004, 2:05:09 PM7/3/04
Jan Vagle <bones...@broadpark.no> wrote in

> Kate wrote:
>> Kymco People 150 owners: How often do you change your oil? And,
>> does the People 150 have an oil filter? (I'll tell you why I need to
>> ask that after I get some responses... I don't want to bias your
>> answer with my situation.) Thanks!
>
> You don't need to change oil. It's worn out and ready to get thrown in
> the garbage at about the same time..
>
> Let's say around 10.000 mls :P

Man I love you! You're such a geeky troll.

Joe B

Jul 3, 2004, 3:15:30 PM7/3/04
Kate.....the recommended interval between changes is every 2000 KM for
the people 150. However, a filter for the LT150 costs approx $15.00
so if you change it at each interval, you actually spend more than on
a people 150.

Kate

Jul 4, 2004, 4:10:16 AM7/4/04
> However, a filter for the LT150 costs approx $15.00
> so if you change it at each interval, you actually spend more than on
> a people 150.

Thanks, I hadn't thought about the cost of extra oil vs. filter.
Well, so the cost isn't a factor. Nobody has suggested that the
screen/slinger instead of a filter is a serious design flaw or likely
to cause extra problems down the road, either... So now I just gotta
decide whether I want the red one or the silver, I guess. (-:

Dave Wood

Jul 4, 2004, 11:05:06 AM7/4/04
It's not a design flaw - other vehicles have used similar systejms and have
done OK but the system doesn't filter as well as a modern paper element
filter, hence the shorter oil change interval and the importance of sticking
to it.

-Dave

"Kate" <ka...@ocf.berkeley.edu> wrote in message

Dave Wood

Jul 4, 2004, 11:05:54 AM7/4/04
What, you don't like the black one?

Kate

Jul 5, 2004, 4:37:57 AM7/5/04
> What, you don't like the black one?

...I didn't know the 150 came in black. I've only seen red and
silver. I'm not crazy about the black w/ tan seat I saw on the 50...