Filmnet at Greece

NIKOLAOS

Feb 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/25/97

For about 3 years Filmnet broadcasts two encrypted channels at
Greece. Not Knowing anything for this newsgroup, i tried to decode the
encrypted channels using a deactivated decoder. The decoding of video
signal was easy enough but i soon discovered that the power of the
system was at the encoding of the sound. Today my deactivated decoder
decodes the image but does nothing for the sound.
Now i found that plenty of information exists at internet. Someone
called the system filmnet uses as "SATPAC".
Is there anyone wants to change information about decoding filmnet?
or can anyone help me find information for SATPAC?

My mail address is ni...@classic.diavlos.gr

Thank you in advance
Nikos

NIKOLAOS

Feb 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/25/97

Sorry , this reply is only a test. I'm tring to learn about newsgrpoups.

Brian {Hamilton Kelly}

Feb 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/28/97

In article <33121C...@classic.diavlos.gr>
ni...@classic.diavlos.gr "NIKOLAOS" writes:

> For about 3 years Filmnet broadcasts two encrypted channels at
> Greece. Not Knowing anything for this newsgroup, i tried to decode the
> encrypted channels using a deactivated decoder. The decoding of video
> signal was easy enough but i soon discovered that the power of the
> system was at the encoding of the sound. Today my deactivated decoder
> decodes the image but does nothing for the sound.
> Now i found that plenty of information exists at internet. Someone
> called the system filmnet uses as "SATPAC".
> Is there anyone wants to change information about decoding filmnet?
> or can anyone help me find information for SATPAC?

I thought FilmNet Greece had gone digital? I know that they started out
with something similar (but I don't know whether it was identical) to
their old pre-D2MAC Scandinavian system, aka SATBOX. In its final
incarnation, this initially proved a secure system, because the sound
was encrypted digitally, and FilmNet thought that this was unbreakable.
But a certain entrepreneur cracked it by the expedient of reverse-
engineering the ASIC (with a scanning electron microscope, at a reputed
cost of something approaching a million pounds), and then started selling
decoders for this cracked system. It was this that drove the final nail
into the coffin of Satbox in Europe, and precipitated FilmNet's move to
D2MAC.

Anyway, from time to time one of these old Satbox pirate decoders gets
mentioned in this newsgroup, with a question like "what use is this?"; to
which the usual response is "use it as a doorstop!". It *may* be
possible that one of these old pirate decoders would work for the FilmNet
Greece channel, so I suggest you keep an eye out for one of these
queries. IIRC, a fellow countryman of yours (posting from Thessaloniki?
about a year ago) mentioned that he was going to try using one of these
old pirate decoders, but I cannot remember seeing any feedback from him
on the matter, so perhaps it was a failure.

--
Brian {Hamilton Kelly} b...@dsl.co.uk
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce