What is the official procedure to get Garmin's MapSource?

Ramon F Herrera

Jun 15, 2008, 4:05:14 PM6/15/08

I have had about a dozen Garmin GPS units and have recommended them to
several friends. One of them just called me asking for help installing
a public domain map. I told him: "the first thing you need is
MapSource". Well, it turns out that his recently purchased nüvi 760
didn't come with a MapSource CD. A brother of mine acquired a brand
new nüvi 660 a few months ago, and ended up installing a pirated
MapSource that he found on the net, as his unit didn't come with a CD,
either.

I used to have MapSource in my laptop and my desktop, but the second
one got erased. I tried to copy the files from one computer to the
other, but apparently Garmin is very paranoid about this.

What is the deal with MapSource? Can anyone provide or guess a
rationale for Garmin's policy in this regard? What is Garmin going to
lose if they provide the software (which can only be used with their
equipment) freely?

Let me guess: perhaps that piece of software is soooo much better than
Google Earth, that people will stampede to use it?

Can someone please provide indications on how to get a legal copy of
MapSource? In its absence, can anyone provide indications on how to to
get an illegal copy of MapSource?

TIA,

-RFH

Anton Betzler

Jun 15, 2008, 4:12:16 PM6/15/08
Ramon F Herrera <ra...@conexus.net> wrote:

> Can someone please provide indications on how to get a legal copy of
> MapSource?

The easiest way is installing the TrainingCenter from garmin.com and
afterwards the actual Mapsource Update (6.13.7)
<http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99999-04>
<http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209>

hth
Anton

NickTheBatMan

Jun 15, 2008, 4:15:38 PM6/15/08

Mapsource is free to download, the latest version 6.13.7 is available
here http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209 at
just over 47MB.

It's the mapping that's not free. See the other bits of the site from
this page for details...

Ramon F Herrera

Jun 15, 2008, 4:25:49 PM6/15/08

Thanks for your assistance, Nick.

> Mapsource is free to download

Have you seen this note in all the pages where MapSource can be
downloaded?

"WARNING: This software will not work unless you already own a
MapSource product."

Have you tried installing MapSource in a second computer? (hint: it
will not work). There is no MapSource download in Garmin's website
that will install from scratch. The recent Garmin units do not include
a MapSource distribution.

The installation procedure creates a directory (C:\garmin) which needs
to be in working order for MapSource to run. I had this directory
created several years ago, when I got my first StreetPilot. That
directory got accidentally removed and now I am screwed. You cannot
copy that directory from one computer to another.

Thanks anyway,

-RFH

Dale Atkin

Jun 15, 2008, 5:00:40 PM6/15/08

"Anton Betzler" <mac...@web.de> wrote in message

This proceedure works, and according to a Garmin support guy I spoke to,
doesn't violate the license agreements. My understanding is that its just an
'avoid confusion with stupid users who think they can get detailed maps for
free from Garmin' issue. In other words they lock out the install so that
people don't think they can get the maps by just downloading the "mapsource
update". Stupid...yes, but Garmin knows about the "Training Center" work
around to the Mapsource install issue, and doesn't seem to have any plans to
rectify the situation.

You can also always purchase "Trip and Waypoint Manager" seperately.

Dale

Happy Trails

Jun 15, 2008, 6:07:32 PM6/15/08
On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 13:15:38 -0700 (PDT), NickTheBatMan
<nick...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Mapsource is free to download, the latest version 6.13.7 is available
>here http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209 at
>just over 47MB.

Why do you avoid mentioning that the referenced page carries this
warning:

Download (47.72 MB)
View download instructions and system requirements
Notes:

lostparts

Jun 15, 2008, 6:39:55 PM6/15/08

"Ramon F Herrera" <ra...@conexus.net> wrote in message

TIA,

-RFH
Got some of this $$$$$$ give it to $armin then you can get MapSource.

Dexker Been

Jun 15, 2008, 9:22:12 PM6/15/08

Jim Beachy

Jun 15, 2008, 9:55:50 PM6/15/08
Dexler Been said:
> Don't tell anyone, but try here!
> http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

As already noted earlier in this thread...

From the website link you provided:
- WARNING: This software will not work unless you already own a MapSource
product.

The OP was asking about a native installation, not an upgrade.

--
Jim Beachy

Ramon F Herrera

Jun 15, 2008, 10:39:08 PM6/15/08
On Jun 15, 6:39 pm, "lostparts" <clem...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Got some of this $$$$$$ give it to $armin then you can get MapSource.

I have already paid for MapSource, about 12 times.

I am just trying to re-install a product that I already own, in two
computers (that means that I still have 10 licenses left).

-RFH

Edwin Pawlowski

Jun 15, 2008, 10:40:03 PM6/15/08

"lostparts" <cle...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> What is the deal with MapSource? Can anyone provide or guess a
> rationale for Garmin's policy in this regard? What is Garmin going to
> lose if they provide the software (which can only be used with their
> equipment) freely?

The rationale is simple. $$$$$$$$$$

Many of the users of GPS have no idea what mapsource does and they don't
care. They just want to plug in the address to take mom to drop off Billy
at the birthday party.

Look around. How many people post to these newsgroups? Just a very tiny
number compared to the millions of units sold. Joe Sixpack and his soccer
mom wife don't give a damn about extras so why spend the money?

Ramon F Herrera

Jun 15, 2008, 10:42:26 PM6/15/08
On Jun 15, 5:00 pm, "Dale Atkin" <labrad...@ibycus.com> wrote:
> "Anton Betzler" <macn...@web.de> wrote in message

> > Ramon F Herrera <ra...@conexus.net> wrote:
>
> >> Can someone please provide indications on how to get a legal copy of
> >> MapSource?
>
> > The easiest way is installing the TrainingCenter from garmin.com and
> > afterwards the actual Mapsource Update (6.13.7)
> > <http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99999-04>
> > <http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209>
>
> My understanding is that its just an
> 'avoid confusion with stupid users who think they can get detailed maps for
> free from Garmin' issue. In other words they lock out the install so that
> people don't think they can get the maps by just downloading the "mapsource
> update". Stupid...

Every time I read some stupid excuse like this one... I know they are
lying.

Just as I suspected, Garmin has some secret policy, and they don't
have the integrity and honesty to tell us (the "stupid users" who pay
for all that hardware and software) the rationale for such policy.

-Ramon

Ramon F Herrera

Jun 15, 2008, 11:07:05 PM6/15/08

Thanks again for your kind assistance, Anton.

I just would to report to the readership that the "TrainingCenter"
procedure DOES NOT WORK.

This is the error message that I get after doing a fresh install of
Training Center, followed by a MapSource update:

http://patriot.net/~ramon/GarminError.png

-Ramon

RSweeney

Jun 15, 2008, 11:26:57 PM6/15/08

"Ramon F Herrera" <ra...@conexus.net> wrote in message

TIA,

-RFH

Let me get this straight, you want help stealing mapsource and you are upset
that Garmin isn't helping you?

Why don't you move to China?

RSweeney

Jun 15, 2008, 11:29:33 PM6/15/08

"Ramon F Herrera" <ra...@conexus.net> wrote in message

BS

I have purchased mapsource in the past and have had no problems moving it
between systems as I replace old PC's for new.

Dale Atkin

Jun 15, 2008, 11:41:02 PM6/15/08
> Every time I read some stupid excuse like this one... I know they are
> lying.
Ok, maybe stupid is the wrong word, but it is a fact that sometimes adding
more features/options can create bigger support headaches. Why do you think
I no longer allow users to select the location for install for my map set? I
used to get droves of people telling me the maps 'wouldn't open'.. they were
doing "File-->Open" rather than selecting the mapset.
I eliminated the option, and significantly cut down on support requests.

Dale

Ramon F Herrera

Jun 16, 2008, 12:18:03 AM6/16/08
On Jun 15, 11:26 pm, "RSweeney" <dockscie...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Let me get this straight, you want help stealing mapsource and you are upset
> that Garmin isn't helping you?

You have reading comprehension problems. I have stated that there is
NO WAY to make a fresh MapSource install using the resources given to
recent (from nuvi onwards) GPS customers. I am a legal, registered
owner of several Garmin units (I happen to give them as gifts, and
even as payment for programming services, etc.). Most of the people
that have the units don't care about MapSource, because they are
satisfied with the preinstalled US Maps. In some cases, however, those
users live in Venezuela, where they have a remarkable public domain
map, which can only be installed with MapSource. The problem is that
Garmin:

DOES NOT INCLUDE MAPSOURCE WITH ANY OF THEIR RECENT UNITS

DOES NOT PROVIDE A LINK TO DOWNLOAD A MAPSOURCE VERSION THAT CAN BE
FRESHLY INSTALLED

I am willing to provide any key, serial number or whatever - My issue
is not about trying to bypass a procedure, the problem is that said
procedure does not exist.

Try reading the title of my post. I am going to restate the question:

What is the *OFFICIAL* procedure to get Garmin's MapSource.

> Why don't you move to China?

Why don't you go back to elementary school and learn how to read?

-RFH

Don B

Jun 16, 2008, 8:07:07 AM6/16/08
Ramon F Herrera wrote:
> On Jun 15, 11:26 pm, "RSweeney" <dockscie...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Let me get this straight, you want help stealing mapsource and you are upset
>> that Garmin isn't helping you?
>>

> You have reading comprehension problems. I have stated that there is
> NO WAY to make a fresh MapSource install using the resources given to
> recent (from nuvi onwards) GPS customers. I am a legal, registered
> owner of several Garmin units (I happen to give them as gifts, and
> even as payment for programming services, etc.). Most of the people
> that have the units don't care about MapSource, because they are
> satisfied with the preinstalled US Maps. In some cases, however, those
> users live in Venezuela, where they have a remarkable public domain
> map, which can only be installed with MapSource. The problem is that
> Garmin:
>
> DOES NOT INCLUDE MAPSOURCE WITH ANY OF THEIR RECENT UNITS
Not quite true, I recently bought a 2820 and MapSource came with it, and
while speaking to a tech rep from Garmin I asked her about buying a unit
that doesn't come with a MapSource CD. She told me that anyone that
calls her and requests MapSource she will send it to them.

In an earlier post you said you had it installed on a machine and lost
it. If you had the CD to install it in the first place why don't you
just reinstall it again? I have it installed on three different
machines. You can install it on as many machines as you want, Garmin
don't give a damn how many machines you install it on because it will
only work to load maps with the GPS you have the unlock codes for anyway.

Anton Betzler

Jun 16, 2008, 8:08:56 AM6/16/08
Ramon F Herrera <ra...@conexus.net> wrote:

> This is the error message

Hi Ramon,

this is the standard error message if there is something wrong with the
Windows Registry (missing directories - missing files - missing drives).
You can delete all Garmin branches in the Windows Registry and try
installing again.
And you can export the Garmin branches from
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_SOFTWARE_Garmin
and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER_SOFTWARE_Garmin

and send it to my email (see header)

Regards - Anton

Greg Laurent

Jun 16, 2008, 10:29:06 PM6/16/08

"Don B" <bur...@charter.net> wrote in message

Ramon, here's your post from an earlier thread. Why don't you follow your
own instructions?

" 1. Download MapSource software updater from Garmin. The version as
of December 4, 2007 is 6.13.6, and the trick also works on Map Source
version 6.13.5.

2. Unpack or extract the content of MapSource_6136.exe
downloaded using WinRAR.

3. From the extracted files, run MAIN.msi.

4. Then, run Setup.exe.

Note: The sequence to execute Main.msi and then Setup.exe is
important to avoid "Previous MapSource not found!" error.

5. Garmin MapSource now installed.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/01/31/download-garmin-mapsource-for-free-and-install-without-media/
http://tinyurl.com/5nkn67

The above procedure does not work with the current (6.13.7)

-Ramon F Herrera"

Ramon F Herrera

Jun 16, 2008, 11:33:01 PM6/16/08
On Jun 16, 8:07 am, Don B <buro...@charter.net> wrote:
> If you had the CD to install it in the first place why don't you
> just reinstall it again?

Because the CD-ROM is somewhere in a box, in storage either in Boston
or Austin, while I am in Venezuela, where the mail service is a joke.
I simply didn't realize how important it is to hang on to some CDs:
you know, with with the Internet and all.

I am told by the affected user who I am trying to help (the one who
bought a MapSouce-less nüvi 760 last week) that he called Garmin and
was informed that they will send you a CD-ROM with MapSource for $15.
That's reasonable.

Of course, the Garmin "geniuses" could make and effort to arrive to
these discoveries:

(1) We live in Internet times.
(2) GPS user, by definition *TRAVEL* and *MOVE* around.
(3) Some of the places those people travel to do not (gasp!) have
reliable mail service.

And place the full, installable MapSource on their web page.

-Ramon

Ramon F Herrera

Jun 16, 2008, 11:42:50 PM6/16/08
On Jun 16, 10:29 pm, "Greg Laurent" <glaur...@cox.net> wrote:
> "Don B" <buro...@charter.net> wrote in message
> http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/01/31/download-garmin-mapsource-fo...http://tinyurl.com/5nkn67

> The above procedure does not work with the current (6.13.7)
>
> -Ramon F Herrera"

> Ramon, here's your post from an earlier thread. Why don't you
follow your
> own instructions?

Because I cannot get a hold of a 6.13.5 or 6.13.6 version. I found
versions newer and older than those, and still can't install. I am
beginning to give credence to Anton's tip about my registry getting
messed up. Will investigate.

If the cause turns out to be a bad registry entry, it does NOT
exculpate Garmin - Quite the contrary.

-Ramon

Ramon F Herrera

Jun 17, 2008, 12:28:33 AM6/17/08
On Jun 15, 10:40 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net> wrote:
> "lostparts" <clem...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

Edwin:

You seem to be forgetting an important group of users: those who
travel to places which are outside of North America and Europe. Those
users don't have the convenience of buying pre-installed maps, and
their only way to install them is with MapSource.

I know Joe Sixpack and his soccer mom wide. They ask me to install the
maps for them. I have a relatively large number of GPS units
registered with Garmin under my name, and I am in charge of updating
the maps, etc.

People who will not touch a computer -or just use them as minimum as
possible- are nonetheless hooked to the growing GPS usage trend. They
have no idea what a USB cable is. In some cases they don't even dare
to purchase the GPS themselves: I buy it, demonstrate it, and sell it
(or give as a gift) to them.

Those folks are being shortchanged and cheated by Garmin.

-Ramon

Holger Issle

Jun 17, 2008, 1:11:43 AM6/17/08
On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 21:28:33 -0700 (PDT), Ramon F Herrera wrote:

> users don't have the convenience of buying pre-installed maps, and
> their only way to install them is with MapSource.

No. You can use sendmap instead, to be found on the net. And if you go
to OpenStreetMap.org you may find some suitable maps and explanations
to that (check the OpenStreetMap wiki page, and search for
user:computerteddy)
--

Ciao,
Holger (GUS-KOTAL, GUS#1100, GRR#51)

90-92 Honda CB400 10 Mm | 93-95 Yamaha TDM 850 26 Mm
95-97 KTM 620 LC4 13 Mm | seit 97 BMW R1100GS 69 Mm (Die Renndrecksau!)

cu @ http://www.issle.de

Dominic Sexton

Jun 17, 2008, 4:28:19 AM6/17/08
In message
<08e9aeb5-a003-4fe0...@d1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
Ramon F Herrera <ra...@conexus.net> writes

>Because I cannot get a hold of a 6.13.5 or 6.13.6 version.

There is an archive here:

http://www.gpsinformation.org/perry/msource/
--
Dominic Sexton

RSweeney

Jun 17, 2008, 7:12:07 PM6/17/08

"Ramon F Herrera" <ra...@conexus.net> wrote in message

You asked for an illegal source. Last sentence of your post.

I use Mapsource (several versions, latest being North America V6) with Nuvi
650 without problems or issues.

The versions have been reinstalled on 3 computers over the past 5 years
(from the oldest version the newest one)... again, without issues (except
that it seems the new versions install in addition to the old ones, but
then, disk is cheap).

One BUYS a Mapsource DVD (Metroguide NA for instance), one installs it and
it downloads selected maps and POI's to the Nuvi (or other Garmin GPS).

One does not get the real Mapsource guides free with ANY Garmin unit. You
used to get a stripped down route editor/loader that you have mistaken for
Mapsource... but since Nuvi's don't do routes, you no longer need it.

Don B

Jun 19, 2008, 8:14:18 AM6/19/08
RSweeney wrote:
> One does not get the real Mapsource guides free with ANY Garmin unit. You
> used to get a stripped down route editor/loader that you have mistaken for
> Mapsource... but since Nuvi's don't do routes, you no longer need it.

Unless we are talking about two different products, what you are saying
is not quite true. MapSource came with my 2820 and I believe it comes
with a couple of other models.

RSweeney

Jun 20, 2008, 11:16:53 PM6/20/08

"Don B" <bur...@charter.net> wrote in message

maps or the loader?

Don B

Jun 21, 2008, 8:06:45 AM6/21/08
My 2820 came with all of the maps preloaded but I also got the MapSource
cd with the unlock codes in case I would ever have to reload the maps.
This I verified with Garmin before I bought the unit because I would
never buy a GPS that I couldn't reload the maps. I also have a 2610 with
an older version of MapSource, because that unit didn't come with the
maps preloaded.

Jack Erbes

Jun 21, 2008, 8:03:48 AM6/21/08

There are some models that still come with MapSource and the mapping on
a DVD. The ones that I know of are the StreetPilot 27xx and 28xx
models, the Quest and Quest II, and the zumo 450 and 550.

There may be some others in the nuvi and StreetPilot and other lines
that also come with mapping on DVD but I don't feel like going to the
page for every product type and checking all the "In The Box" links to
see how many have "MapSource® City Navigator North America NT DVD or
City Navigator Europe NT DVD (full unlock)" listed there.

You can do it from these links if you want:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=135
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=148

MapSource is an application that manages any and all Garmin mapping
packages that you may have installed. One MapSource install will manage
all of them, it you go to install a mapping package and MapSource is not
installed, the mapping package will install it.

MapSource, without any installed mapping, displays a geographical
coordinate system without any mapping details.

There is a way to get MapSource installed without buying it or buying a
GPS receiver. Download and install the free Garmin Training Center:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99999-04

Then download and install the most recent MapSource update:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

Last I knew, that will give you a MapSource install without any mapping
data.

Jack

Jim Beachy

Jun 21, 2008, 9:56:03 AM6/21/08
The statement "One does not get the real Mapsource guides free with ANY
Garmin unit" isn't actually true. Many of them do ship with the CD and
MapSource software, including unlock codes to use the maps on a PC.

I'm not an expert in the nuances of the various Garmin units, but my
observation is that the 27xx, 28xx, zumo, and maybe some others seem to be
more targeted toward users who want to upload and download routes, tracks,
and waypoints, as well as create routes in software and then transfer them
to the GPS. Those seem to ship with the mapping CD and MapSource software.

The Nuvi series, which seem fairly high-end for the user who just wants a
GPS in the vehicle without the ability to do all the other stuff, apparently
don't ship with the software or CD. I do recall seeing a thread here,
though, that Garmin will supply the "missing" components at no charge upon
request. DISCLAIMER: I do not say this with first-hand knowledge or as an
authoritative source.

--
Jim Beachy

"Don B" <bur...@charter.net> wrote in message

Mike Russell

Jun 21, 2008, 12:47:27 PM6/21/08
On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 09:56:03 -0400, Jim Beachy wrote:

> The Nuvi series, which seem fairly high-end for the user who just wants a
> GPS in the vehicle without the ability to do all the other stuff, apparently
> don't ship with the software or CD. I do recall seeing a thread here,
> though, that Garmin will supply the "missing" components at no charge upon
> request. DISCLAIMER: I do not say this with first-hand knowledge or as an
> authoritative source.

The N. Am. NT 2009 map update for my 200w was installed by an updater
program that uses a product code separate from MapSource's unlock code.

The .exe file that I downloaded to update the maps contains an installable
MapSource, which can be extracted using a free download from www.7-zip.org.

I installed it, but the product code used by the updater is not accepted as
an unlock code for the actual maps. Sounds like it might be worth asking
Garmin for the unlock code as well.
--
Mike Russell - http://www.curvemeister.com

Buck Turgidson

Jun 21, 2008, 6:44:23 PM6/21/08
> How many people post to these newsgroups? Just a very tiny number
> compared to the millions of units sold.

Unlike you and me, EP.

Buck.

:)

Tom J

Jun 21, 2008, 8:44:56 PM6/21/08
Jim Beachy wrote:
> The statement "One does not get the real Mapsource guides free with
> ANY Garmin unit" isn't actually true. Many of them do ship with the
> CD and MapSource software, including unlock codes to use the maps on
> a PC.
> I'm not an expert in the nuances of the various Garmin units, but my
> observation is that the 27xx, 28xx, zumo, and maybe some others seem
> to be more targeted toward users who want to upload and download
> routes, tracks, and waypoints, as well as create routes in software
> and then transfer them to the GPS. Those seem to ship with the
> mapping CD and MapSource software.

You have hit on something I really want to do - create trip routes on
my computer with multiple way points and then load to the Street Pilot
7200. I was using MS Streets & Trips with a laptop in my truck, so I'm
use to laying out my routes with the computer.

I have the unlock code, I have North America City Navigator 2008 on
original CD & have the download file of 2009 on the computer. Can you
tell me where I can find directions on how to do this?
Thanks,
Tom J

JB

Jun 21, 2008, 9:39:51 PM6/21/08

"Tom J" <tom...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> You have hit on something I really want to do - create trip routes on my
> computer with multiple way points and then load to the Street Pilot 7200.
> I was using MS Streets & Trips with a laptop in my truck, so I'm use to
> laying out my routes with the computer.
>
> I have the unlock code, I have North America City Navigator 2008 on
> original CD & have the download file of 2009 on the computer. Can you
> tell me where I can find directions on how to do this?
> Thanks,
> Tom J

There is no way to go from MS S&T directly to a Garmin PND, although we seem
to get closer to being able to di it as time goes on. I've long wanted to
send waypoints over-the-air to my PND in the car, and that is possible today
with the MSN Direct receiver and a few of the newer Garmin PNDs.

One way is to plan trip in S&T, and manually transfer POIs and waypoints to
Mapsource, which will download directly to the PND.

Anton Betzler provided the two downloads to get Mapsource working in this
same thread on 6/15/08, as follows:

> The easiest way is installing the TrainingCenter from garmin.com and
> afterwards the actual Mapsource Update (6.13.7)
> <http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99999-04>
> <http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209>

If you don't want TrainingCenter, you can uninstall it after Mapsource is
installed, but it must be installed prior to attempting to install Mapsource
on a new install..

Dale Atkin provided the following commentary on the Anton's procedure, as
follows:

> This proceedure works, and according to a Garmin support guy I spoke to,
> doesn't violate the license agreements. My understanding is that its just
> an 'avoid confusion with users who think they can get detailed maps for

> free from Garmin' issue. In other words they lock out the install so that
> people don't think they can get the maps by just downloading the

> "mapsource update". Stupid...yes, but Garmin knows about the "Training
> Center" work around to the Mapsource install issue, and doesn't seem to
> have any plans to rectify the situation.

I tested this procedure on one computer that I was having trouble getting
Mapsource installed on, but it had Map Install and CNNA NT 2009. The
procedure installed Mapsource, found CNNA NT 2009, and unlocked it so that
this mapset was immediately usable.

Tom J

Jun 24, 2008, 5:50:51 PM6/24/08

I have tried to get TrainingCenter installed, but when it gets to
recognizing my device, it doesn't see Street Pilot 7200 as a
compatiable device, therefore will not complete the installation.

Any ideas? Thanks,

Tom J

JB

Jun 24, 2008, 6:22:48 PM6/24/08

> I have tried to get TrainingCenter installed, but when it gets to
> recognizing my device, it doesn't see Street Pilot 7200 as a compatiable
> device, therefore will not complete the installation.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks,
>
> Tom J

I would bet that I didn't even have a PND attached when I installed
TrainingCenter, but if I did it was a Nuvi, as I used the Nuvi when I
installed Mapsource. In any event, neither you nor I have any of the
devices that Garmin says are compatible:

Compatible Garmin devices: Forerunner 50 (PC Only), Forerunner® 201 (PC
Only), Forerunner 301, Forerunner 205, Forerunner 305, Forerunner 405 (PC
Only), Edge® 205, Edge 305, Edge 605, Edge 705

It's possible that TrainingCenter looks only for installed drivers for a
Garmin unit, but it may be checking for actual hardware. Have you installed
drivers for the 7200, or have you used any other Garmin software (POILOADER,
Webupdater, etc.) so that drivers would be installed? If not, download
Webupdater and get it working before trying TrainingCenter again.

http://www.garmin.com/products/webupdater/

Lon

Jul 27, 2008, 9:59:47 PM7/27/08
Ramon F Herrera wrote:
> On Jun 15, 4:12 pm, macn...@web.de (Anton Betzler) wrote:
>> Ramon F Herrera <ra...@conexus.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Can someone please provide indications on how to get a legal copy of
>>> MapSource?
>> The easiest way is installing the TrainingCenter from garmin.com and
>> afterwards the actual Mapsource Update (6.13.7)
>> <http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99999-04>
>> <http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209>
>>
>> hth
>> Anton
>

> Thanks again for your kind assistance, Anton.
>
> I just would to report to the readership that the "TrainingCenter"
> procedure DOES NOT WORK.

How did you install it?

I downloaded the training center, and followed the instructions.
Then I downloaded the update for MapSource, which is revision 6.14.1
according to the nice help screen.

> This is the error message that I get after doing a fresh install of
> Training Center, followed by a MapSource update:
>
> http://patriot.net/~ramon/GarminError.png
>
> -Ramon

If you have WinRAR or Winzip, extract the download exe file, e.g.
Mapsource_6141.exe

Extract it into C:/Garmin

Then run the MAIN.msi and then run MapSource.exe

If it tells you that you have no MapSource product, make sure that
TrainingCenter itself works, even if it cannot find a Garmin device that
is compatible.

NickTheBatMan

Jul 31, 2008, 6:15:07 AM7/31/08
On 15 Jun, 21:25, Ramon F Herrera <ra...@conexus.net> wrote:
> On Jun 15, 4:15 pm, NickTheBatMan <nickw7...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On 15 Jun, 21:05, Ramon F Herrera <ra...@conexus.net> wrote:
>
> > > I have had about a dozen Garmin GPS units and have recommended them to
> > > several friends. One of them just called me asking for help installing
> > > a public domain map. I told him: "the first thing you need is
> > > MapSource". Well, it turns out that his recently purchased nüvi 760
> > > didn't come with a MapSource CD. A brother of mine acquired a brand
> > > new  nüvi 660 a few months ago, and ended up installing a pirated
> > > MapSource that he found on the net, as his unit didn't come with a CD,
> > > either.
>
> > > I used to have MapSource in my laptop and my desktop, but the second
> > > one got erased. I tried to copy the files from one computer to the
> > > other, but apparently Garmin is very paranoid about this.
>
> > > What is the deal with MapSource?  Can anyone provide or guess a
> > > rationale for Garmin's policy in this regard? What is Garmin going to
> > > lose if they provide the software (which can only be used with their
> > > equipment) freely?
>
> > > Let me guess: perhaps that piece of software is soooo much better than
> > > Google Earth, that people will stampede to use it?
>
> > > Can someone please provide indications on how to get a legal copy of
> > > MapSource? In its absence, can anyone provide indications on how to to
> > > get an illegal copy of MapSource?
>
> > > TIA,
>
> > > -RFH
>
> > Mapsource is free to download, the latest version 6.13.7 is available
> > herehttp://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209at
> > just over 47MB.
>
> > It's the mapping that's not free.  See the other bits of the site from
> > this page for details...
>
> Thanks for your assistance, Nick.
>
> > Mapsource is free to download
>
> Have you seen this note in all the pages where MapSource can be
> downloaded?
>
> "WARNING: This software will not work unless you already own a
> MapSource product."
>
> Have you tried installing MapSource in a second computer? (hint: it
> will not work). There is no MapSource download in Garmin's website
> that will install from scratch. The recent Garmin units do not include
> a MapSource distribution.
>
> The installation procedure creates a directory (C:\garmin) which needs
> to be in working order for MapSource to run. I had this directory
> created several years ago, when I got my first StreetPilot. That
> directory got accidentally removed and now I am screwed. You cannot
> copy that directory from one computer to another.
>
> Thanks anyway,
>
> -RFH- Hide quoted text -

Just got back to this...

I think I'm missing something here, I thought Mapsource is just the
interface between GPS and your PC you don't even need mapping products/
POI etc...

Surely you can get Mapsource from the link above and install it, then
use it to down/upload Waypoints/Routes/Tracks etc even without the
proper mapping products ? I know that's not really that much use but
it is possible isn't it ?

As everyone's pointed out, it says "WARNING: This software will not
work unless you already own a
MapSource product." Isn't it the last words that make the whole
statement ? Mapsource Product ?

By the way I've got Mapsource on 2 PCs - my laptop and my desktop -
and my officially bought and registered copy of CN on both machines,
I've only got one 76CSx and that works with both machines...

Nick

Jack Erbes

Jul 31, 2008, 3:46:42 PM7/31/08
NickTheBatMan wrote:
<snip>

> I think I'm missing something here, I thought Mapsource is just the
> interface between GPS and your PC you don't even need mapping products/
> POI etc...

It is Garmin proprietary interface for all of the mapping products on CD
or DVD that are sold optionally or included with some GPS receivers.
MapSource is the GUI for each package of map data, display the data on a
coordinate system and doing various things with it. MapSource was
included with and installed by the various optional or included with a
receiver mapping packages. With no optional detailed mapping, MapSource
will displays a coarse world map in most cases.

> Surely you can get Mapsource from the link above and install it, then
> use it to down/upload Waypoints/Routes/Tracks etc even without the
> proper mapping products ? I know that's not really that much use but
> it is possible isn't it ?

Not from the MapSource update link. That needed to find an existing
MapSource install to update. But there were some work around that could
get MapSource installed without having to buy or acquire an optional
mapping package.

> As everyone's pointed out, it says "WARNING: This software will not
> work unless you already own a
> MapSource product." Isn't it the last words that make the whole
> statement ? Mapsource Product ?

MapSource itself is not a MapSource product. The products are things
like City navigator, U.S. Topo, BlueChart Americas, etc. That is the
way Garmin sees it anyway.

> By the way I've got Mapsource on 2 PCs - my laptop and my desktop -
> and my officially bought and registered copy of CN on both machines,
> I've only got one 76CSx and that works with both machines...

And it could be installed on a hundred more if you gave away copies of
the CN DVD. If you gave you unlock code away with it, people could
unlock the mapping on their PCs and see the detail. But uploaded maps
will only work on your 76CSx, not any other.

And if someone called in or went online and tried to register the
install and get a unlock code for another Unit I.D., the software serial
number on the back of the package would show up in the Garmin system as
having been previously registered to you and they would not be able to
register it.

It is kind of splitting hairs but your copy of CN is not really
registered to your PCs, it is registered to the Unit I.D. on your GPS
receiver. Your My Garmin thing knows your Unit I.D., your unit's serial
number, the serial number on the back of your CN package, and what ever
details about yourself that you provided. All of that went to
generating and unlock code for that product for your Unit I.D. so you
could upload maps. Garmin is clueless about it and cares less how many
places you have it installed.

If you go to any other installation of the same product (a CN install of
the same version) on any other PC and enter your 25 digit unlock code
there, you can upload maps that will work on your GPS receiver.

This is all pretty complex, sort of hard to understand.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA (jackerbes at roadrunner dot com)
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine dot com)

Wayne R.

Aug 28, 2008, 10:03:42 PM8/28/08
"Stumbled Upon" this:

http://demo.geogarage.com/noaa/

Richard Owlett

Aug 28, 2008, 11:05:36 PM8/28/08
Wayne R. wrote:
> "Stumbled Upon" this:
>
> http://demo.geogarage.com/noaa/

Why click?????
I clicked on above link and got a *BLANK* page!!!!!!!

Message has been deleted

Richard Owlett

Aug 29, 2008, 1:51:21 AM8/29/08
Pegleg wrote:

> Worked fine for me but...don't really see the purpose!

i suspect *INCOMPETENT* page authors made
*unwarranted*
presumptions