suction cup keeps falling off

thomasd

Aug 1, 2008, 8:01:28 AM8/1/08
is there some secret to keeping the suction cup on the windshield ?
mine keeps comming off
any suggestions would be appreciated

Jack Erbes

Aug 1, 2008, 9:22:54 AM8/1/08

Get some glycerin from the local drug store and clean the suction cup
with it, leaving a light coating as a preservative and to improve
retention by minimizing air leaks. It will also help to slow the
deterioration of the rubber from the sun's UV light.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA (jackerbes at roadrunner dot com)
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine dot com)

Don Simard

Aug 1, 2008, 9:07:18 PM8/1/08
"thomasd" <thoma...@cox.net> wrote in message

> is there some secret to keeping the suction cup on the windshield ?
> mine keeps comming off
> any suggestions would be appreciated

buy a beanbag instead. my suction cup melted to the window before I did that

Retired VIP

Aug 1, 2008, 10:13:28 PM8/1/08
On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 21:07:18 -0400, "Don Simard" <sima...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

You want to buy my suction cup. I used it until my beanbag arrived,
it's up on the shelf now.

Jack

Paul

Aug 2, 2008, 10:32:38 AM8/2/08

I would have probably bought the beanbag if I knew about it at the
time. I contacted Garmin when my suction cup spring and rubber
material deteriorated and they sent me a complete replacement to
include the adapter which I keep for business trips. My solution was
to buy a kit from proclipusa.comn which works well.

Paul

DougSlug

Aug 2, 2008, 1:13:32 PM8/2/08
Very simple.

- Clean the glass area thoroughly with Windex (or similar grease-cutting
cleaner), and clean the suction cup surface with dish detergent.

- Make sure everything is dry (preferebly dry with a microfiber cloth)
before re-applying.

- It's important to remove anything greasy, like oil from your skin or the
solvents that outgas from the plastics inside your car and lightly fog the
inside of the glass over time.

- If you apply and remove the suction cup often, you will have to clean
this way periodically.

- Avoid touching either the glass or the suction cup.

- Also, make sure there is nothing on the glass (like that black sunscreen
material some cars have at the top of the windshield or stickers/labels,
etc.), or that the glass area where you are applying the suction cup is not
irregularly shaped in any way (such as a smaller radius curvature).

- I have found that it is not necessary to apply anything to the cup (as
others have suggested), but that might increase the longevity of the suction
even more if you use the right kind of stuff.

- Doug

DougSlug

Aug 2, 2008, 1:15:50 PM8/2/08
I have one of these beanbags, too. I like it a lot for use in my Prius, but
it doesn't necessarily work in every situation--it depends on the dash area
you have available at an appropriate location for good visibility.

- Doug

"Don Simard" <sima...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

John J. Bengii

Aug 2, 2008, 2:06:28 PM8/2/08
Oils and grease will assist the vaccum seal. Dirt and granular materials
will degrade suction. This is all dependant on having rubber with some
spring left in it. A new unit will be required every few years, then you
will purchase another one, like a digital watch with a dead battery.

"DougSlug" <twin...@optonline.net> wrote in message

Howard

Aug 3, 2008, 7:01:04 AM8/3/08
On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 07:32:38 -0700 (PDT), Paul
<Paul_The...@verizon.net> wrotG:

>On 1 Aug, 08:01, "thomasd" <thomasde...@cox.net> wrote:
>> is there some secret to keeping the suction cup on the windshield ?
>> mine keeps comming off
>> any suggestions would be appreciated

I found the following posted a while back and I saved the posting.
This suggestion really works.

DougSlug

Aug 3, 2008, 8:42:43 AM8/3/08
Certainly you are correct about gritty materials and the condition of the
rubber, but my experience has always been that a greasy surface allows the
cup material to slide relative to the fixed surface, which allows the cup to
draw inward resulting in a prematurely broken vacuum seal. Having a
relatively "sticky" surface, that is, the surface of clean glass, prevents
the cup from drawing inwards keeping the seal intact.

- Doug

"John J. Bengii" <nob...@yahoo.calm.dwn> wrote in message

John J. Bengii

Aug 3, 2008, 9:39:40 AM8/3/08
In the end when the rubber gets hard it has no spring to create the vacuum
anyway. A UV resistant grease may help this, either way.

"DougSlug" <twin...@optonline.net> wrote in message

Jack Erbes

Aug 3, 2008, 10:33:32 AM8/3/08
John J. Bengii wrote:
> In the end when the rubber gets hard it has no spring to create the vacuum
> anyway. A UV resistant grease may help this, either way.

Glycerin, the answer is glycerin. Petroleum based greases are the kiss
of death for rubber, especially when combined with the effects of UV.

I've never heard of or seen a UV resistant grease. In a pinch, using
silicon based dielectic compound would help and not get runny with heat.

John J. Bengii

Aug 3, 2008, 1:40:32 PM8/3/08
Armorall

"Jack Erbes" <jack...@roadrunner.com> wrote in message

Rick

Aug 3, 2008, 2:49:44 PM8/3/08
Glycerin is the correct answer.

--

Rick
Fargo, ND

Remember the USS Liberty
http://www.ussliberty.org/

John J. Bengii

Aug 3, 2008, 5:28:33 PM8/3/08
Armorall is a product name. Glycerin is a chemical.

"Rick" <fshol...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Jack Erbes

Aug 3, 2008, 6:39:23 PM8/3/08
John J. Bengii wrote:
> Armorall

Use of Armor-All has been associated with the deterioration and cracking
of vinyl dashboard coverings, in spite of it's claimed UV protective
qualities. I don't use Armor-All any more because of that. There is no
proof that is has the claimed UV protective qualities that it claims but
it is pretty clear that it will contribute to deterioration of the
plastics used in dash board coverings.

http://www.epinions.com/review/Armor_All_Protectant/content_231006768772

Jack

Howard Lester

Aug 3, 2008, 8:43:02 PM8/3/08
"Jack Erbes" wrote

> Use of Armor-All has been associated with the deterioration and cracking
> of vinyl dashboard coverings, in spite of it's claimed UV protective
> qualities. I don't use Armor-All any more because of that. There is no
> proof that is has the claimed UV protective qualities that it claims but
> it is pretty clear that it will contribute to deterioration of the
> plastics used in dash board coverings.

FWIW, a body-shop man long ago told me Armor All sucks the moisture out of
the dashboard material(s), thus the deterioration.

Irwin Blumenthal

Aug 3, 2008, 8:50:22 PM8/3/08
SPIT works

Rick

Aug 3, 2008, 9:39:58 PM8/3/08
not as well as glycerin

John J. Bengii

Aug 3, 2008, 9:59:46 PM8/3/08
I know Armor-All;s claim but it is a really good static supressant. Used it
on electronic equipment and my high voltage boots to stop static buildup and
discharges through my clothes to metal objects...very slippery though.

"Rick" <fshol...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Lon

Aug 6, 2008, 10:02:08 PM8/6/08

Armor All and similar products are just a silicone emulsion and water.

No plasticizer ingredients.

Jack

Aug 6, 2014, 5:05:52 PM8/6/14
You should try the product Stickysuc. It will stick your suction cups and save you lots of headaches. You can get it on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Stickysuc-Stick-Suction-Replacement-Mount/dp/B00MC1KLFY/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A168VCL7ZSKO7

more info at
www.stickysuc.com

Cheers.

Gene E. Bloch

Aug 6, 2014, 6:18:46 PM8/6/14
On Wed, 6 Aug 2014 14:05:52 -0700 (PDT), Jack wrote:

> On Friday, August 1, 2008 8:01:28 AM UTC-4, thomasd wrote:
>> is there some secret to keeping the suction cup on the windshield ?
>> mine keeps comming off
>> any suggestions would be appreciated
>
> You should try the product <name removed>. It will stick your suction cups and save you lots of headaches. You can get it on Amazon.

<Link removed. Note that Jack apparently has the same name as the seller
of the product he is praising.>

> more info at

<Link removed.>

Let's hope that thomasd is still following this thread after a hiatus of
two thousand one hundred ninety-six days :-)

AKA six years five days...

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)

Patty Winter

Aug 6, 2014, 6:58:48 PM8/6/14

In article <1kv5z036...@stumbler1907.invalid>,
Gene E. Bloch <not...@other.invalid> wrote:

><Link removed. Note that Jack apparently has the same name as the seller
>of the product he is praising.>
>
>Let's hope that thomasd is still following this thread after a hiatus of
>two thousand one hundred ninety-six days :-)
>
>AKA six years five days...

That's one downside of the Google Usenet archive. This isn't the first
time I've seen a spammer follow up to a years-old posting just to hawk
their product. The archive makes it easy for spammers to find postings
relevant to their products.

Patty

Ed Pawlowski

Aug 6, 2014, 8:40:24 PM8/6/14
On 8/6/2014 5:05 PM, Jack wrote:
> On Friday, August 1, 2008 8:01:28 AM UTC-4, thomasd wrote:
>> is there some secret to keeping the suction cup on the windshield ?
>> mine keeps comming off
>> any suggestions would be appreciated
>
> You should try the product Stickysuc. It will stick your suction cups and save you lots of headaches. You can get it on Amazon.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Stickysuc-Stick-Suction-spam-Mount/8&m=A168VCL7ZSKO7
>
> more info at
> www.stickysucks.com
>
> Cheers.

No way would I use it. Once it dries and the sun hit it you car smells
like spam. The stink of spam lingers and gets a nasty rancid odor.

Gene E. Bloch

Aug 6, 2014, 9:31:23 PM8/6/14
On Wed, 06 Aug 2014 20:40:24 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 8/6/2014 5:05 PM, Jack wrote:
>> On Friday, August 1, 2008 8:01:28 AM UTC-4, thomasd wrote:
>>> is there some secret to keeping the suction cup on the windshield ?
>>> mine keeps comming off
>>> any suggestions would be appreciated
>>
>> You should try the product Stickysuc. It will stick your suction cups and save you lots of headaches. You can get it on Amazon.

<SNIP>

> No way would I use it. Once it dries and the sun hit it you car smells
> like spam. The stink of spam lingers and gets a nasty rancid odor.

That seems like a disadvantage :-)

I have a generic cellphone stand where the suction cup has a sticky
coating on it. It sticks like glue and yet is easily detachable, but
I've never used it when it would get overheated. Now you've got me
worried :-)

It's called Super Suction Cup and is made in Korea, but I don't recall
where I got it.

But Google helps.

It's called iOttie Easy One Touch XL Universal Car Mount Holder

and is found here (opensky.com): http://bit.ly/1uoGOtz

At $20 it seems expensive, so if you wanted one, it might be worth
looking around.

Or maybe not...Amazon has a variety, mostly $17 to $20, and eBay looks
like $10 to $40 for various versions :-)

Desh Bouksani

Aug 7, 2014, 11:00:55 AM8/7/14
Make sure the glass on the inside of the windshield and the surface of
your suction cup surfaces are squeaky clean-- no dust, grunge, etc. If
that doesn't work, just put a little water on the glass or cup surface
before sticking it on.

--
As long as you’re going to be thinking anyway, think big.

--Donald Trump

Keith

Aug 7, 2014, 12:57:40 PM8/7/14
On Thu, 07 Aug 2014 11:00:55 -0400, Desh Bouksani wrote:

> On 8/6/14, 5:05 PM, Jack wrote:
>> On Friday, August 1, 2008 8:01:28 AM UTC-4, thomasd wrote:
>>> is there some secret to keeping the suction cup on the windshield ?
>>> mine keeps comming off any suggestions would be appreciated
>>

> Make sure the glass on the inside of the windshield and the surface of
> your suction cup surfaces are squeaky clean-- no dust, grunge, etc. If
> that doesn't work, just put a little water on the glass or cup surface
> before sticking it on.

I found water dried over a couple of weeks and the cup then dropped off -
OK if you routinely remove the holder. A non-volatile which is rubber
friendly gives better results for a 'permanent' fixing - I used glycerine
with good results.

Keith

Desh Bouksani

Aug 7, 2014, 4:03:06 PM8/7/14
Well shoot, there's always epoxy, crazy glue, or that stuff for regluing
a rear-view mirror:-)

--
Leave the gun, take the cannoli.
--Peter Clemenza

Fred McKenzie

Aug 8, 2014, 3:17:22 PM8/8/14
In article <B-SdnbxcQ8eZLX7O...@bt.com>,
I had similar problems, but did not try glycerine. Eventually the
rubber deteriorated and left a black mark on the window.

I currently have a Garmin bean bag sitting on the dash. It is their
"Portable Friction Mount". The part number is 010-10908-00. It has the
same ball mount that the suction cup uses on the two Garmin models I
have.

I think this topic has been discussed here in years past. Someone once
mentioned that the bean bag might be illegal to use in some places,
since it is not attached to the vehicle. I can see where it might
become a projectile in the event of an accident. But so could a
suction-cup-mounted GPS!

Fred

Gene E. Bloch

Aug 8, 2014, 3:26:05 PM8/8/14
Suction cup mounted GPSes can be illegal as well. California allows them
to be mounted only in the lower right or left corners of the windshield.

Not everyone here obeys that law, of course.

<RANT>
Yes, I'm running a private anti-hyphen campaign. It's been a failure :-)

Too many times one sees "suction cup-mounted GPS" or similar, so I say
forget hyphens. Too many people don't understand how to use them.
</RANT>

Angelo Campanella

Aug 15, 2014, 4:36:51 PM8/15/14
On Friday, August 1, 2008 8:01:28 AM UTC-4, thomasd wrote:
> is there some secret to keeping the suction cup on the windshield ?
> mine keeps coming off
> any suggestions would be appreciated

My suction cup experience over 8 years with a Garmin and for many decades in general is that the volatility of water in general, and especially for sunlit surfaces indicates that the interface has to always dry out. The glycerine suggestion seems good since it dries a lot slower than water so that' seems to be a winner. And expect to reset a suction cup about once a year...

Ange

brai...@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2014, 10:44:54 PM9/3/14
I have used the product and it works! And my vehicle smells fine... So, until you have actually tested a product you may want to just keep playing your video games or reading your comic books.

The Stickysuc kit works well. I would, however, make sure the glass is cleaned thoroughly before installing. Also, use the largest barrier that comes with the kit. You can get them at Amazon.