Practical life expectancy of a car GPS ?

- Bobb -

Sep 9, 2011, 9:58:07 AM9/9/11
Mine last about 2-3 years ?

( Just wondering about justifying the cost of a new one with " lifetime map
updates" when the device lasts a few years - not 20 )
At Best buy I just saw one for $119 or same model is $199 with "Lifetime
Maps"

Others experience - how long before it dies ?

Bert

Sep 9, 2011, 10:09:12 AM9/9/11
In news:j4d61g$nit$1...@dont-email.me "- Bobb -" <bo...@noemail.123> wrote:

> Mine last about 2-3 years ?

What happens to yours after 3 years?

I've had a handheld 76CSx for a lot longer than that.
--
be...@iphouse.com St. Paul, MN

Alan White

Sep 9, 2011, 10:18:53 AM9/9/11
On Fri, 9 Sep 2011 09:58:07 -0400, "- Bobb -" <bo...@noemail.123> wrote:

>Others experience - how long before it dies

My GPS40, which I bought in 1994, is still working.

--
Alan White
Mozilla Firefox and Forte Agent.

Thibaud Taudin Chabot

Sep 9, 2011, 10:56:23 AM9/9/11
Op 9-9-2011 15:58, - Bobb - schreef:
Lifetime means in practice that you can get 4 times a year a new map.

Peter H. Coffin

Sep 9, 2011, 11:03:04 AM9/9/11
I've never had a car GPS die. Stolen, replaced by a newer model with a
feature I wanted, sure. But the ones I had replaced went on to other
people and continue their function to this day, as far as I know.

--
48. I will treat any beast which I control through magic or technology
with respect and kindness. Thus if the control is ever broken, it

Mike Coon

Sep 9, 2011, 11:33:08 AM9/9/11
Bert wrote:
> In news:j4d61g$nit$1...@dont-email.me "- Bobb -" <bo...@noemail.123>
> wrote:
>
>> Mine last about 2-3 years ?
>
> What happens to yours after 3 years?
>
> I've had a handheld 76CSx for a lot longer than that.

The screen of my GPS-II+ (original version) is virtually illegible. And it
is under glass, is not touch-sensitive, and is unbroken. The rest of it
still works, as I can see via serial connection. My nearly as old yellow
eTrex is going the same way.

Mike..
--
If reply address is Mike@@mjcoon.+.com (invalid), remove spurious "@"
and substitute "plus" for +.

Ed Pawlowski

Sep 10, 2011, 12:00:46 AM9/10/11

"- Bobb -" <bo...@noemail.123> wrote in message
> [...]
My Nuvi 350 still works after about 4 to 5 years. I've since upgraded, but
I wanted other features and maps so I handed the other one down.

Message has been deleted

RedEyeMike

Sep 10, 2011, 10:12:22 AM9/10/11
On Sep 10, 9:05 am, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <el...@nastydesigns.com>
wrote:
> In article <j4d61g$ni...@dont-email.me>, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123>
> Well, here's a TomTom for $30:
>
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-20103244-58/get-a-3.5-inch-tomtom-g...
> or-$29.99/?tag=nl.e796
>
> so, realistically, the "life" of your unit is...the period of time
> between deals like this.

I'm on my third Garmin, a 3790LMT. It replaced a Garmin 2820 which I
gave to my niece. That unit replaced a Garmin 2610, which went to my
father-in-law. I just replaced the power/speaker cord for the 2610
unit which is at least 12 years old and still functioning nicely. I
hold on to the units until the current model has a number of new
features and updates that I want. I have never replaced a Garmin unit
because it stopped working.

Rudolpho

Sep 11, 2011, 4:54:02 AM9/11/11
Op 9-9-2011 15:58, - Bobb - schreef:
I have a Magellan GPS2000 which is still working after 13 years (Yes I
know it's not a Garmin)
--

Groetjes,
Rudolpho

LightByrd

Sep 10, 2011, 7:29:45 PM9/10/11

"Bert" <be...@iphouse.com> wrote in message
> In news:j4d61g$nit$1...@dont-email.me "- Bobb -" <bo...@noemail.123> wrote:
>
>> Mine last about 2-3 years ?
>
> What happens to yours after 3 years?
>
> I've had a handheld 76CSx for a lot longer than that.

I've had my 76s for 7 years now. Sure...you can't update the maps for the
road, but I can fly a plane, hike trails, or go point to point nautically.
Works great. For the road, I use my 76CSx. What besides misuse could make
them fail in such a short time?

--
Regards,
Richard Harison

Rudolpho

Sep 11, 2011, 1:30:25 PM9/11/11
Op 11-9-2011 1:29, LightByrd schreef:

> "Bert" <be...@iphouse.com> wrote in message
>> In news:j4d61g$nit$1...@dont-email.me "- Bobb -" <bo...@noemail.123> wrote:
>>
>>> Mine last about 2-3 years ?
>>
>> What happens to yours after 3 years?
>>
>> I've had a handheld 76CSx for a lot longer than that.
>
> I've had my 76s for 7 years now. Sure...you can't update the maps for
> the road, but I can fly a plane, hike trails, or go point to point
> nautically.
> Works great. For the road, I use my 76CSx. What besides misuse could
> make them fail in such a short time?

I use these maps on my 60CSx:
http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
They are well maintained and are free.

--
Cheerio,
Rudolpho

Ed Pawlowski

Sep 11, 2011, 2:03:24 PM9/11/11

> Op 11-9-2011 1:29, LightByrd schreef:

>> Works great. For the road, I use my 76CSx. What besides misuse could

>> make them fail in such a short time?

Would it wear out of balance if you made more right turns than left? I'm
pretty sure if you drive through tunnels a lot it adds a lot of stress tot
hem too.

- Bobb -

Sep 12, 2011, 9:52:43 AM9/12/11

"LightByrd" <r...@noway.invalid.com> wrote in message

"Bert" <be...@iphouse.com> wrote in message
> In news:j4d61g$nit$1...@dont-email.me "- Bobb -" <bo...@noemail.123> wrote:
>
>> Mine last about 2-3 years ?
>
> What happens to yours after 3 years?

I've had my 76s for 7 years now. ...
What besides misuse could make
them fail in such a short time?

Got me.
200 died - wouldn't turn on.

Last one (265T) - battery was old/poor, but used mostly while driving so it
worked in my application. Then I left it plugged into PC overnight -
'charging'. In morning the display was white and pc no longer showed "usb
device icon" in system tray. I tried unplugging usb cable - still white
screen. Plugged it back in - nothing. Inserted mem stick to gps while in PC
trying to get SOME reaction - - nothing . So I turned it off - turned back
on - dead - no white screen - nothing. back in PC - nothing. MAYBE it would
work if I had a new battery , but will cost me the price a a battery to find
out.
That's why I asked my original question: if battery REALLY dies, might it
cause this ?
I wouldn't mind buying a battery if I thought it might be the fix, but don't
want to waste the money on a battery if probably NOT the fix.

Alan

Sep 12, 2011, 3:49:35 PM9/12/11
My 650 is still working fine coming up on 6 years. A lifetime map
subscription has turned out to be a good investment. However, it is
always run on the car power, and since it is in a mounting bracket, I
never move the patch antenna hinge. That basically reduces the
battery failure issue, and eliminates the frequent internal antenna
connection failure problem.

--
Alan

Steve Posner

Sep 16, 2011, 9:15:31 AM9/16/11
On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 19:29:45 -0400, "LightByrd" <r...@noway.invalid.com>
wrote:

>"Bert" <be...@iphouse.com> wrote in message
>> In news:j4d61g$nit$1...@dont-email.me "- Bobb -" <bo...@noemail.123> wrote:
>>
>>> Mine last about 2-3 years ?
>>
>> What happens to yours after 3 years?
>>
>> I've had a handheld 76CSx for a lot longer than that.
>
>I've had my 76s for 7 years now. Sure...you can't update the maps for the
>road, but I can fly a plane, hike trails, or go point to point nautically.
>Works great. For the road, I use my 76CSx. What besides misuse could make
>them fail in such a short time?

Concur. My Map76 is now about 8 years old. Still works just fine
for me. Minor traumas do occur, like when the screen used to
blank out after 5 minutes -- traced to a problem with WAAS.
An update from Garmin cured that and I still rely on it around
the world.

sp

PeterM

Sep 17, 2011, 3:56:35 PM9/17/11
GPS receivers can last a long time if they are taken car of. One
problem is that new GPR receivers come out with new features, smaller
size etc, so you may want to switch even if the older one still works.
The cost of newer models also keeps decreasing. In addition the roads
change very little over the years. There may be some new areas, but
not many. The only thing that do change frequently are the waypoints
for restaurants, shops, gas stations etc, but I have not found it to
be a major problem.

Peter Hirsch

- Bobb -

Sep 17, 2011, 8:22:20 PM9/17/11
"- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
> Mine last about 2-3 years ?
>
> ( Just wondering about justifying the cost of a new one with " lifetime
> map
> updates" when the device lasts a few years - not 20 )
> At Best buy I just saw one for $119 or same model is $199 with "Lifetime
> Maps"
>
> Others experience - how long before it dies ?

After reading comments on how most folks had no issues I took my 265T apart.
I disconnected the battery for a few minutes, then reconnected it, hooked up
a cable and - it came back to life. Not sure what the problem was, but the
reset button didn't do it for me. Thought I'd give it a try before giving
up on it. Now I'll buy a new battery for it ( only lasts a few minutes ).
For folks that have replaced the battery ..... While I had it apart I
checked to see how easy to replace and mine is stuck solidly to the case.
Seems like double-faced tape used on bottom of battery and then wrapped the
battery.
1. I did some moderate prying and it didn't budge - What's the trick to
getting the original out ?
2. I see GPS batteries for sale - no-names for $8 and what look to be
originals for $24. Are the Original looking ones 'new old stock' ? Meaning
are they 2-3-4 years old ? Any experience with either ? Worth the extra
$16 to get the "original" battery ?
Example:
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=219206017&sellerid=15743316
http://www.amazon.com/1250mAh-Li-pl-Battery-Garmin-200/dp/B003DMH938
Thanks very much folks. Glad to have my GPS working again - and didn't lose
any info.

DockScience

Oct 5, 2011, 11:06:19 AM10/5/11

"- Bobb -" <bo...@noemail.123> wrote in message
I have garmins that are over 5 years old.
Battery goes in 3-5 years... but still works plugged in.

- Bobb -

Oct 5, 2011, 4:49:28 PM10/5/11

"DockScience" <DockS...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Mine died - dead even when plugged in to car or PC, BUT after the replies
here, I spent $25 for a replacement battery and it's working just fine
again. Even remembered all of my stuff ( I thought they were gone)
I'm happy.

benjammin

Oct 6, 2011, 1:08:47 PM10/6/11
On 2011-10-05 14:49:28 -0600, - Bobb - said:

> Mine died - dead even when plugged in to car or PC, BUT after the
> replies here, I spent $25 for a replacement battery and it's working
> just fine again. Even remembered all of my stuff ( I thought they were
> gone)
> I'm happy.

My Garmin iQue 3600 -- purchased in 2003 -- still works great with a
battery replacement or two. The problem is that Garmin stopped
supporting the unit: The latest (and last) map upgrade for the 3600 was
Garmin City Navigator North America 2009 non-NT.

Add to that the fact that Garmin never upgraded the 3600's desktop
software for Windows Vista (2005) or Windows 7 (2009) -- you have to be
running XP or earlier for full compatibility -- and you see that Garmin
shafted its iQue 3600 customers within two years.

Although I have a fairly new Garmin GPS in my "daily driver", I have
kept the 3600 for use in rental cars while traveling. Most of the time
it is fine but highways and roads DO change over time.

I understand that OpenStreetMap.org maps can be converted to Garmin
.img files and used on the iQue 3600. I'd be interested to know if any
iQue 3600 user has had success in this.

The iQue 3600 is a great unit. Too bad it was abandoned by Garmin. The
hardware is good; the company is not.

wabbleknee

Oct 6, 2011, 1:17:45 PM10/6/11

A little over two years ago, the family was going on a trip and I quickly
hid my Nuvi 350 in the event we had visitors while we were gone. Upon
returning, we tore the house apart trying to find the "well" hidden Nuvi.
Gave up and bought another GPS. Then about a week ago, found it, carefully
plugged it in for a nice long charge. Carefully turned it on, was so glad
to see the start up screen and all my favorites etc were still there. It
works as good as ever. :0)

Sunshine

Oct 6, 2011, 1:22:03 PM10/6/11
If you can lose a GPS in the house for two years, you might be a
candidate for the TV show, "Hoarders".

Gene E. Bloch

Oct 6, 2011, 1:53:49 PM10/6/11
Or be as absent-minded as I sometimes am.

The best way I have of losing things is to put them in a place I *know*
I won't forget :-)

I am versatile enough to have other ways, however...

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)

Sunshine

Oct 6, 2011, 2:33:46 PM10/6/11
Actually, I'm guilty of losing things around the house myself, so I
shouldn't talk. I once looked for my stud finder and couldn't find it
for the life of me, so I bought another one. When I was done with it I
went to put it away in the spot where it seemed to logically belong,
and there was the 'lost' one. So now I have two. The guy at the
hardware store said the quickest way to find something is to buy
another one and in this case he was right.

Gene E. Bloch

Oct 6, 2011, 2:42:30 PM10/6/11
Yep, that has worked for me.

Unfortunately, I can get very uptight when I can't find something. Since
I misplace things fairly easily, that's a form of self-abuse :-)

wabbleknee

Oct 7, 2011, 8:52:38 PM10/7/11

"Gene E. Bloch" wrote in message

The actual hiding place was in the bottom on a Kleenex box, the only good
thing about getting a cold was finding the Nuvi :o)

Gene E. Bloch

Oct 7, 2011, 8:56:45 PM10/7/11

Putting your reply below the signature delimiter (hyphen hyphen space
return) makes it disappear.

Dave

Oct 8, 2011, 5:57:48 AM10/8/11

Only if your newsreader is set to autostrip them. If everyone did that,
why would anyone, including you, bother to have a sig in the first
place? :-)

--
You cannot simply assume someone is honest
just because they are not an MP.

Gene E. Bloch

Oct 8, 2011, 6:29:37 PM10/8/11

Since many newsreaders do so, your remark is hardly apposite.

And since most readers worthy of the name grey out or otherwise
partially suppress everything below the delimiter, it's easy for such a
reply to get overlooked.

Perhaps my first reply will help wabbleknee, even if it can't help you.

wabbleknee

Oct 10, 2011, 7:43:43 PM10/10/11

"Gene E. Bloch" wrote in message

Repeating again ;o(

Gene E. Bloch

Oct 10, 2011, 7:55:56 PM10/10/11

I see you're using Windows Live Mail (WLM).

It doesn't quote properly, so it looked at first as though you had no
reply, since I only saw my old stuff until I peered more carefully.

Sorry, wabbleknee, you just can't shut me up :-)

This is a serious remark, & I mean it to be helpful: WLM has been
attracting a lot of negative attention, especially in a couple of
newsgroups[1] I read, because of its lack of quoting. It might be fun to
try Thunderbird or one of the other newsreaders or news-capable e-mail
programs.

[1] alt.windows7.general and news.software.bin

BobW

Oct 10, 2011, 11:47:49 PM10/10/11

"Gene E. Bloch" <not...@other.invalid> wrote in message
<Off topic>
I have tried Thunderbird without much success. I'm not having much luck
finding any other news-capable software that will run on Windows 7. Any
suggestions?
(Fortunately my old machine with XP and Outlook Express is still temporarily
available.)

Bob

Gene E. Bloch

Oct 11, 2011, 12:10:26 AM10/11/11

Lots of choices....

Some people have installed other versions of Windows Mail and Windows
Live Mail; I don't know full details, but I'll sketch what I do recall.
Windows Mail form Vista can be installed on Windows 7, and an earlier
version of Windows Live Mail has worked OK for some people.

Other than that, I am using 40tude Dialog, and sometimes I switch to
MesNews for a while. Neither is perfect, but both work OK for me.

Dialog: http://dialog.datalist.org/index.html
MesNews: http://www.mesnews.net/gb/

General Info:
http://www.big-8.org/wiki/Newsreaders

And there is more than I know about :-)

The two newsgroups I mentioned have ideas, but they are newsgroups, so
they're not organized for easy use:
alt.windows7.general
news.software.bin

Beyond that, I can only wish you good luck.

Ed Pawlowski

Oct 11, 2011, 5:48:33 AM10/11/11

"Gene E. Bloch" <not...@other.invalid> wrote
>>> I see you're using Windows Live Mail (WLM).
>>>
>>> It doesn't quote properly, so it looked at first as though you had no
>>> reply, since I only saw my old stuff until I peered more carefully.

>> <Off topic>

>> I have tried Thunderbird without much success. I'm not having much luck
>> finding any other news-capable software that will run on Windows 7. Any
>> suggestions?
>> (Fortunately my old machine with XP and Outlook Express is still
>> temporarily
>> available.)
>>
>> Bob
>
> Lots of choices....
>
> Some people have installed other versions of Windows Mail and Windows
> Live Mail; I don't know full details, but I'll sketch what I do recall.
> Windows Mail form Vista can be installed on Windows 7, and an earlier
> version of Windows Live Mail has worked OK for some people.

I use the 2010 version and it works well. I upgraded to the 2011 version an
d the next day reverted back to the old version. The new one sucks as a
newsreader. Evidently, no one at Microsoft ever visited a newsgroup.

Dave

Oct 11, 2011, 8:47:20 AM10/11/11

And yet...

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/guide/newsgroupfaq.mspx

How Do I Use the Microsoft Newsgroups?
Microsoft provides an HTML interface to make using newsgroups as easy as
clicking on a Web page. The left side of the page provides a list of
newsgroups and topics. After you select a newsgroup, you can check out
interesting posts, search the newsgroup to find specific topics, answer a
question, use subscription to be notified about new posts of interest, or
post your own questions to the group.
Although the Web page interface is the easiest to use, these same
newsgroups are also available at the msnews.microsoft.com NNTP server. You
must use a client (see below) such as Microsoft® Outlook® Express to
access the NNTP server directly in this manner.

<snip>

They appear to be attempting to wean people away from accessing an NNTP
server directly with their own choice of client and aiming for an
"advanced" web interface. No doubt they intend to blend and blur the NNTP
web interface with their web forums and the eventual demise of NNTP from
the MS reality zone.

wabbleknee

Oct 12, 2011, 9:12:24 AM10/12/11

"Dave" wrote in message news:pan.2011.10...@nospam.dgmm.net...
I was perfectly happy using Outlook Express as both my email and newsreader.
Since switching to W7 and Outlook, then live mail was the only alternative
at the time. I would like a no frills/light footprint email reader to
replace this "live thing". Some of the ones I tried were annoying, at least
to me, so I am still looking. It is my opinion that some of these HTML
"newsgroup types" have way to much wasted space covered by individualized
icons, animated GIF's etc. Use the ole Nuvi 350 yesterday and it worked
great, I have not updated the maps since new but seems to get me there and
back. :O).

mik...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2016, 6:36:26 PM10/23/16
On Friday, September 9, 2011 at 9:58:07 AM UTC-4, - Bobb - wrote:
> Mine last about 2-3 years ?
>
> ( Just wondering about justifying the cost of a new one with " lifetime map
> updates" when the device lasts a few years - not 20 )
> At Best buy I just saw one for $119 or same model is $199 with "Lifetime
> Maps"
>
> Others experience - how long before it dies ?

The first garmin I bought was a monster shaped like the old t.v's, it still works.
I bought a better model that you can talk to and the touch screen went just after warranty.
I got one stolen. Last year I bought a new one and it won't show anything on the screen.
I'll check the wires at the store and see.....Not too confident now.

Fred McKenzie

Oct 23, 2016, 11:21:53 PM10/23/16
In article <5832f600-618f-469f...@googlegroups.com>,
Bobb's GPS would be 5 years older now. I wonder if it still works?

And your new GPS may just need you to charge the battery for a few
hours. If that is not the problem, take it back!

I think the lifetime of most modern GPS units is limited by advances in
technology. You convince yourself that you must have the new features
your old one does not have, even though it still works.

Reliability of modern Garmin GPS units is pretty good. The one problem
I've had with two units was battery life. They still worked when
plugged into my car's 12 Volt outlet, but would not work for very long
when unplugged. I found replacement batteries at
<http://www.batteryship.com/>, which included most of the tools I needed.

My first GPS with a bad battery was a Garmin 350. Unfortunately I
damaged something when replacing the battery. The unit still sort-of
works, but the on/off button and touch screen do not. It is such an old
unit, that repair is not economical.

A Garmin 1490T replaced the old 350 several years ago. I recently had
to replace its battery, and there were no ill effects. That GPS is as
good as it ever was. I purchased the lifetime maps upgrade for it, so
it should be good for a few more years.

Fred

Peter H. Coffin

Oct 24, 2016, 11:55:05 AM10/24/16
I've had

StreetPilot (stolen)
ColorMap (given away when replaced by)
2720 (given away when replaced by)
350 (given away when replaced by)
3790LMT (still own, though car accessories lost in a fire)
which I'm planning to replace with a Drive unit or whatever's
contemporary around the beginning of the year.

NONE of them have had failed or become unuseful before the replacement
arrived, and the reach has always been for new features rather than
problems. For example, I'm wanting dashcam function now, just because
wow are there some idiots out there and I'd love to have documentation
that "no, this person zipped into my lane and had no functional brake
lights" rather than having to struggle to convince a jury that it wasn't
my fault. (I got the 3790 because the area was starting a decade-long
construction project, and traffic alerts became useful, etc.)

--
42. When I capture the hero, I will make sure I also get his dog,
monkey, ferret, or whatever sickeningly cute little animal capable

Wade Garrett

Oct 24, 2016, 2:14:47 PM10/24/16
Have owned several nuvi over the years. Hardware has been quite reliable.

No manufacturer-demerits accrued for the one that slid off the roof of
my car. I lunged for it on the way down but only managed to swat it into
my concrete block garage wall, then watched it drop corner-on onto the
concrete floor and die ;-)

I've had two with software issues. One wouldn't boot after a Garmin
Express system update failure and another lost access to the maps and
POI after a map update attempt.

Garmin replaced them both- one graciously and one that took some push.

I've bought new ones when the ones I had became dated and I wanted the
latest features. I sold the old ones on Ebay and Craigslist- most for a
surprisingly high price. No complaints from buyers.

--
With all this “gun control” talk, I haven’t heard one politician say how
they plan to take guns away from criminals and terrorists— just from law

Charlie Roberts

Oct 25, 2016, 9:35:20 PM10/25/16
On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 23:21:50 -0400, Fred McKenzie <fm...@aol.com>
wrote:

>I think the lifetime of most modern GPS units is limited by advances in
>technology. You convince yourself that you must have the new features
>your old one does not have, even though it still works.
>
>Reliability of modern Garmin GPS units is pretty good. The one problem
>I've had with two units was battery life. They still worked when
>plugged into my car's 12 Volt outlet, but would not work for very long
>when unplugged. I found replacement batteries at
><http://www.batteryship.com/>, which included most of the tools I needed.
>
>My first GPS with a bad battery was a Garmin 350. Unfortunately I
>damaged something when replacing the battery. The unit still sort-of
>works, but the on/off button and touch screen do not. It is such an old
>unit, that repair is not economical.
>
>A Garmin 1490T replaced the old 350 several years ago. I recently had
>to replace its battery, and there were no ill effects. That GPS is as
>good as it ever was. I purchased the lifetime maps upgrade for it, so
>it should be good for a few more years.
>
>Fred

The core unit is likely to be robust but there are Achilles heels.

The obvious one is the screen -- crack it and you are probably done.

Another, which has done in twice in 5 years, is the stupid mini USB
socket on the back of my nuvi 65LMT. It was replaced twice by Garmin
within the warranty period even though there was nothing wrong with
it! This is another story -- one I should write about one of these
days.

But, the third unit had problems. It kept saying the wrong power
cable was being used. Turned out to be a socket problem and they
sent me a refurbished one. Two years on, I see the same thing
again.

I do not use the unit much. Maybe, about 5-10 times a year,
mostly when going to visit out of town people and need to
find my way around the modern developments with their
twisty-curvy roads. Given that a whole lot of plugging in
and plugging off is not going on, I am surprised at this.

But, the unit has performed in an exemplary fashion in Europe
(with the old map as there is no life time updating on the
map!) and I guess 5 years would be a good time to start
thinking about a new one.

I do wish they would make the connectors more robust.
My old GPS 76 map still works like a charm, but its battery
life is so good one does need the charger all that much.
OTOH, the 65LMT really does not have a battery worth
talking about and so the charging cord is a essential.

I would like to hear from others who keep taking their
units on and off all the time. Any problems with the
socket?

Fred McKenzie

Oct 26, 2016, 5:44:18 PM10/26/16
In article <7i101ctusl716kbj1...@4ax.com>,
Charlie Roberts <crob...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to hear from others who keep taking their
> units on and off all the time. Any problems with the
> socket?

Charlie-

I take my GPS with me at least twice a week, and disconnect it when not
in use. Over the years I never a bad mini-USB socket.

Your experience suggests that you may have an odd cable connector that
damages its mate on the GPS.

Fred

Charlie Roberts

Nov 5, 2016, 12:30:37 PM11/5/16
On Wed, 26 Oct 2016 17:44:16 -0400, Fred McKenzie <fm...@aol.com>
wrote:
Thanks. I would think that no one in his/her right mind would leave a
GPS unit or a radar detector mounted all the time -- a great
invitation for the passing entrepreneur. But, I did wonder, as I use
my GPS very, very rarely.

The cable came from Garmin with the original unit and since then I
have got another one from them. Same issue with my current
nuvi 65LMT, which itself is a refurbished unit as the one I bought
and used for about three years (sparingly!) had the same problem.

Thanks again for the reply.

onelaz...@gmail.com

Feb 1, 2020, 2:15:34 PM2/1/20
My Garmin has begun displaying my favorites my latitude and longitude, rather than by name.

The Real Bev

Feb 1, 2020, 5:45:58 PM2/1/20
On 02/01/2020 11:15 AM, onelaz...@gmail.com wrote:
> My Garmin has begun displaying my favorites my latitude and longitude, rather than by name.

Thank you for reminding me that I need to update the maps etc. and maybe
put the app(s) on my phone and computer. I wish it were linux-friendly...

--
Cheers, Bev
If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.