Can I tow with Toyota Camry?

Dawn

Jun 18, 2001, 5:01:57 PM6/18/01
I have a 2001 Coleman Sante Fe (GVWR is something around 2,550 I
believe). My husband tows it with our Dodge Dakota, but I am looking
at getting a Toyota Camry. Can I tow the Sante Fe with a Camry? If
so, do I have to get the standard transmission, or can I tow it with
an automatic transmission? Do I need the V6 or any aptional tow
packages? TIA.
Dawn

Mark Filice

Jun 18, 2001, 5:33:00 PM6/18/01
In article <4a5daa56.01061...@posting.google.com>, da...@fidnet.com
says...

>I have a 2001 Coleman Sante Fe (GVWR is something around 2,550 I
>believe). My husband tows it with our Dodge Dakota, but I am looking
>at getting a Toyota Camry. Can I tow the Sante Fe with a Camry? If

According to the Towing Guide section of Camping Life's Nov/Dec 2000 magazine,
the towing limit of all Toyota Camrys is 2,000#.

I would stay with the Dakota for towing....

Mark Filice
1999 Starcraft Starflyer
1990 Ford Ranger

Fred Mathering

Jun 18, 2001, 6:44:17 PM6/18/01
I wouldn't reccommend it, it sound like a accident waiting to happen.

Dawn <da...@fidnet.com> wrote in message

ija

Jun 18, 2001, 9:11:38 PM6/18/01
NO

Andrew

Jun 19, 2001, 8:49:48 AM6/19/01
The Camry is rated to tow 2000#. A base Sante Fe weighs 1700# already
pushing you over the 75% rule. Factor in the weight of luggage, persons,
fuel, camper options, hitch etc and you end up with a grossly overloaded
vehicle that most likely won't last too long if you can keep it out of an
accident.

Sky Walker

Jun 19, 2001, 4:03:06 PM6/19/01

On the Canada Highway 2 from US border to Calgagry I saw a sedan way smaller
than Camry towing a Travel Trailer running 70MPH.

The size of the Travel Trailer is about 17ft long.

--
E-Mail: SkyWalker1689 at Hotmail period Company
http://home.socal.rr.com/skywalker1689

Cliff

Jun 19, 2001, 8:59:07 PM6/19/01
Just because a car can tow it, doesn't mean it's safe to do. I could
probably
tow a house boat with my Jeep, but I'm not about to try it!

--
*C*

78 Starcraft Starmaster8
94 Jeep Grand Cherokee

====================
Sky Walker <RO...@Hotmail.com> wrote in message

Sky Walker

Jun 20, 2001, 2:45:47 PM6/20/01
On Wed, 20 Jun 2001 00:59:07 GMT, "Cliff" <cl...@NOSPAMmaurand.com> wrote:

=>Just because a car can tow it, doesn't mean it's safe to do. I could
=>probably
=>tow a house boat with my Jeep, but I'm not about to try it!

Exactly, Just because a car can tow it, doesn't mean it's NOT safe to do.

=>
=>--
=>*C*
=>
=>78 Starcraft Starmaster8
=>94 Jeep Grand Cherokee
=>
=>
=>====================
=>Sky Walker <RO...@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
=>news:ikbvitcj981laaa1p...@4ax.com...
=>>
=>> On the Canada Highway 2 from US border to Calgagry I saw a sedan way
=>smaller
=>> than Camry towing a Travel Trailer running 70MPH.
=>>
=>> The size of the Travel Trailer is about 17ft long.
=>>

=>> On 18 Jun 2001 14:01:57 -0700, da...@fidnet.com (Dawn) wrote:
=>>

=>> =>I have a 2001 Coleman Sante Fe (GVWR is something around 2,550 I
=>> =>believe). My husband tows it with our Dodge Dakota, but I am looking
=>> =>at getting a Toyota Camry. Can I tow the Sante Fe with a Camry? If
=>> =>so, do I have to get the standard transmission, or can I tow it with
=>> =>an automatic transmission? Do I need the V6 or any aptional tow
=>> =>packages? TIA.
=>> =>Dawn
=>>
=>> --
=>> E-Mail: SkyWalker1689 at Hotmail period Company
=>> http://home.socal.rr.com/skywalker1689
=>

Owl Family

Jun 25, 2001, 12:38:38 AM6/25/01
In the UK (and possibly Canada) the Camry is rated to tow 3300 lbs (1500
KG). See http://www.towcars.co.uk for more information.

I don't know why the difference between the countries, but I doubt that
there are any significant manufacturing differences.

--
Phillip & Elissa
00 F-150 V6

--
----------------------

Mike Mattera

Jun 29, 2001, 2:53:31 PM6/29/01
I have a 1999 Camry w/ a 4 cyl. it's rated at 2000 lbs.
I pull a Jayco Quest 8U. The smalles Thing I could
find localy, and it 1250 lbs. "Turn off the OverDrive"
was the info I got from my Toyota dealer.
For the weight your talking, you better get the 6cly.

This is a good site for towing weights by car type.
http://www.bobstravelcenter.com/00towguide.html

Mike Mattera
Jayco Quest 8U
1999 Toyota Camry

Jodysdee

Jul 12, 2001, 12:31:43 AM7/12/01
Buy a new tow vehicle..

Dennis Odom

Jul 12, 2001, 3:09:56 AM7/12/01
You can tow most anything made by "Radio Flyer"... My kids had one when they
were about 5 or so

--
Dennis Odom
1999 f250 4x4 Ext. Cab 4.6L 5 speed
"Jodysdee" <jody...@aol.com> wrote in message

SDFS

Jul 12, 2001, 11:10:31 AM7/12/01
I jus bought a 2002 Coleman Taos which is the smallest coleman popup they
make (1100 pounds). I tow it with a 2000 Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 liter
and towing package which is rated at 5000 pounds. This trailer while being
extemenly tiny is still a noticable load on my Jeep Cherokee. I orignially
thought I may be able to tow with my 1995 Honda Accord LX which is rated at
1000 pounds. Let me tell you no way I mean yes on a straight and level road
ok but, try a hill even a small hill and the accord/camry would be wheezing
and grinding the transmission into the ground.

Find I used Cherokee, S-10, explorer or pickup and tow with ease.

Scott
Habeger

2000 Jeep Cherokee
2002 Coleman Taos (awning, A/C)