Dawn Crosby (R.I.P.)

Andreas Dehmel

Mar 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/4/97

The Banshee shall wail no more...

Dawn Crosby died last year, december 15th, from long term alcohol abuse.
I only read about this a couple of days ago and haven't seen anyone
mention her death on the net yet so I'll try a short obituary to honour
her musical legacy.

Dawn entered the scene in the mid 80ies with her thrash band "Detente" who
released one album ("Recognize no authority"); I have to admit I don't
know this one.

The reason why I write this is the debut album of her next band "Fear of God".
This outfit released their debut album "Within the veil" in 1991 (many songs
having been written as early as 1987, however) and although few people seem to
know it this is one of the most intense journeys to the dark side of the soul.
In spite of being radically different musically it has a strong semblance with
Type O Negative's "Bloody Kisses" - or rather the other way around since BK
came out 2 years later - as far as the overall gloomy atmosphere and personal
flavour of the lyrics are concerned. The music has a strong thrash foundation
but also many calm, acoustic passages to contrast with the former, and for
the life of me I couldn't name a single band which sounds like FOG at this
stage.
The lyrics deal with topics such as prostitution, broken relationships,
drug abuse and various other examples of the dark spectrum of human experience.
Dawn's style in singing as well as writing these lyrics is unique in our
genre (and probably others as well); I won't try to describe it here, you
have to hear for yourself. "Within the veil" is one of those albums that
can really touch something deep inside of you. Make fun of this if you
wish, it doesn't make any difference to me; next to "How will I laugh
tomorrow..." and "Bloody Kisses" "Within the veil" is one of the best
albums of all times as far as lyrics are concerned; it has a lot to
offer musically as well.

In 1994 there was a new, thrashier Fear of God album called "Toxic Voodoo",
however with none of the musicians that brought "Within the veil" into being
(apart from Dawn, of course). It's not a bad album but never comes even
close to the intensity of the debut. Don't judge FOG by this album,
compared to "Within the veil" it's downright bad; genius is volatile,
sad but true.

I was always hoping to hear something in the vein of "Within the veil" from
her again. Too late now, another fatal loss for music. The really infuriating
part is the kind of crap that sells by the millions whereas hardly anyone
seems to even know FOG. I guess it's like the famous line Terry Pratchett
put in Death's mouth: "There is no justice, there is only me."

Her death is our loss. Rest in peace, Dawn, wherever you are.

"Who can tell the torture of the soul?
Is it wrong... tell me is it wrong...
to close your eyes... to sleep forever?"

(Fear of God - All that remains)

Andreas

charlie

Mar 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/4/97

Andreas Dehmel wrote:

> The Banshee shall wail no more...
> Dawn Crosby died last year, december 15th, from long term alcohol abuse.

2 or 3 months ago or 14 or 15 months ago?

> The reason why I write this is the debut album of her next band "Fear of God".
> This outfit released their debut album "Within the veil" in 1991 (many songs
> having been written as early as 1987, however) and although few people seem to
> know it this is one of the most intense journeys to the dark side of the soul.

i don't know about that soul stuff, but it's a damn good album.

> The music has a strong thrash foundation
> but also many calm, acoustic passages to contrast with the former, and for
> the life of me I couldn't name a single band which sounds like FOG at this
> stage.

i can definitely hear some slayer influences in the music.

> "Within the veil" is one of those albums that
> can really touch something deep inside of you.

i don't think i've ever had a song "touch something deep inside".

> In 1994 there was a new, thrashier Fear of God album called "Toxic Voodoo",
> however with none of the musicians that brought "Within the veil" into being
> (apart from Dawn, of course). It's not a bad album but never comes even
> close to the intensity of the debut. Don't judge FOG by this album,
> compared to "Within the veil" it's downright bad; genius is volatile,
> sad but true.

yeah, toxic voodoo really sucks. sounds like they tried to jump on the
death
metal bandwagon but couldn't do it. the difference between the 2 albums
has
always made me wonder how much of an influence dawn actually had in
writing
the songs. i don't have the credits here, so i don't know who actually
was
given song writing credits, but it seems to me that the guitarist (in
most
bands) is going to be the major factor in the songwriting process.
maybe
we should be looking for music that the original fog guitarist puts out
instead of what dawn put out.

--
charlie
please post all responses. my email address on this post is incorrect

Andreas Dehmel

Mar 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/7/97

charlie <butt...@bite.me.com> writes:

>Andreas Dehmel wrote:
>>
>> The Banshee shall wail no more...
>> Dawn Crosby died last year, december 15th, from long term alcohol abuse.

>2 or 3 months ago or 14 or 15 months ago?

A little under 3. As I said, "last year".

>> The music has a strong thrash foundation
>> but also many calm, acoustic passages to contrast with the former, and for
>> the life of me I couldn't name a single band which sounds like FOG at this
>> stage.

>i can definitely hear some slayer influences in the music.

Influence yes, they even said that themselves. But when you have a look at
the songs as a whole they're completely different. The only one that's
anywhere near Slayer is "Diseased" in being almost entirely fast. But
stuff like "Red to Grey" are something entirely different.

>> "Within the veil" is one of those albums that
>> can really touch something deep inside of you.

>i don't think i've ever had a song "touch something deep inside".

Then maybe you haven't been listening. Or you should pay attention to
some of the lyrics...
I usually put much more emphasis on instrumentation than on vocals and
frankly I consider most singers the least important part of a band but
every now and then there are some that really stand out from the crowd
by the way they sing or by the lyrics they write. Dawn was one of those.

>> In 1994 there was a new, thrashier Fear of God album called "Toxic Voodoo",
>> however with none of the musicians that brought "Within the veil" into being
>> (apart from Dawn, of course). It's not a bad album but never comes even
>> close to the intensity of the debut. Don't judge FOG by this album,
>> compared to "Within the veil" it's downright bad; genius is volatile,
>> sad but true.

>yeah, toxic voodoo really sucks. sounds like they tried to jump on the
>death
>metal bandwagon but couldn't do it. the difference between the 2 albums
>has
>always made me wonder how much of an influence dawn actually had in
>writing
>the songs.

Mostly the lyrics, I think. And those are still pretty good on TV. The
only problem is that the music is too monotone and - in contrast to the
debut - doesn't match the mood of the lyrics at all.

>i don't have the credits here, so i don't know who actually was
>given song writing credits, but it seems to me that the guitarist (in
>most
>bands) is going to be the major factor in the songwriting process.
>maybe
>we should be looking for music that the original fog guitarist puts out
>instead of what dawn put out.

IIRC the guitarist came from a rather different musical background and
was introduced to FOG's kind of music by being played some Slayer. I
read something along those lines in an interview around the time WTV
came out. The general undertones were that the other band-members told
the guitarist what they wanted - so maybe in this case one should have
a look at what the other members of the original FOG lineup are doing now.

But of course it's correct that usually the guitarists are the most vital
factor concerning the music of a band.

Andreas

md...@comcast.net

Mar 30, 2013, 1:17:14 PM3/30/13
To Andreas, my name is Michael Carlino and I worked together with dawn to write that album As well as co produce it. Just wanted to thank u for those kind words regarding dawn, and our music. U cannot imagine what it was like to produce a critically acclaimed piece of work and yet it went for the most part un noticed. However those that r aware absolutely love it. Thanx again for the post and I agree, toxic poodoo sucked! and dawn in tears had expressed extreme regret over leaving the original lineup just before her passing. It was over dinner that she and I discussed a lot, but she was brought to tears and was hurting bad. Ps. at one point I actually jammed with the idiots that made that made that shit record while visiting dawn, and believe me, going from the band I had assembled for wtv, these guys were amateurs! RIP DC