Angus Young SG

AndersP

Jan 7, 2010, 12:43:14 PM1/7/10
Ehh...

I ended up bying one of the Lightning Bolt Angus Young SGs as I may have
mentioned. Apart from the extremely cool looks it also sounds fantastic.

The main differences from a "regular" SG (except for all the eye-candy)
is the maple neck, ebony fretboard and the use on Seymour Duncan Alnico
II pickups.

ASFAIU the neck pickup is a stock SD Pearly Gates and the bridge p/u is
a custom "hotter wound Pearly Gates" (the Pearly Gates are made to copy
the sound of Billy Gibbons� LP which sports original Gibson PAFs).

When looking around on various home pages selling the SD p/u's a pickup
called "Custom Custom" is mentioned as being a hotter Pearly Gates
suitable for the bridge position.

Anyone that have any experience from using this pickup ?

Common for both the "Pearly Gates" and the "Custom Custom" is that they
are recommended for guitars with a slightly brighter sound using either
a maple neck and/or an ebony fretboard - which makes perfect sense -
since this is the exact composition of the AY SG.

Thanks,
Anders P

tomScotland

Jan 7, 2010, 1:35:16 PM1/7/10

Hmmm, Angus has used SG's from the 60's, 70's and the 80's and beyond. What
these producers of boutique guitars fail to acknowledge is that there is
just as much tone in the fingers and the amplification as there is in pickup
windings and a lump of wood and wire.
I mean, I can aproximate an Angus tone with Guitar Rig 3 and a *strat* FFS!
Having said that, if you can afford or justify it, go for it. Not me.

--
'91 MkII Golf GTi 8v
'05 Polo FSi

AndersP

Jan 7, 2010, 3:34:10 PM1/7/10
tomScotland wrote:

> Hmmm, Angus has used SG's from the 60's, 70's and the 80's and beyond.
> What these producers of boutique guitars fail to acknowledge is that
> there is just as much tone in the fingers and the amplification as there
> is in pickup windings and a lump of wood and wire.
> I mean, I can aproximate an Angus tone with Guitar Rig 3 and a *strat* FFS!
> Having said that, if you can afford or justify it, go for it. Not me.

The primary reason I bought it was for the looks, and the limited
production run. To mimic an AC/DC sound, there is so much more to it
than the guitar, I know this and we don't have to argue about it.

That said, I noted that this one sounds slightly different than any
other SG that I've played. This is most probably because of the
different pickups, hence my question.

/A

tomScotland

Jan 7, 2010, 3:43:52 PM1/7/10

Sure, I didn't mean to undermine that completely, I'd love to try one for
myself!