Today in Scientology -- August 23rd ********************

Scientology Today

Aug 23, 2015, 10:54:35 AM8/23/15
Today August 23rd in Scientology history

Meddling with Minds
August 23, 1968, TIME Magazine
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,838617,00.html

Not many modern religions can claim the distinction of being denounced
by a major European government as "socially harmful ... a potential
menace to the personality" and "a serious danger to health." Yet those
were the words chosen by Britain's Health Minister Kenneth Robinson
when he took the floor of the Commons last month to censure the
little-known and less understood Church of Scientology.

Tags: FDA, Kenneth Robinson, UK

'Boheme': Ship's departure from St. Petersburg to leave disappointment in its
wake
August 23, 1986, David Olinger, St. Petersburg Times
http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes/access/51700312.html?dids=51700312:51700312&FMT=FT

City officials learned Thursday afternoon that the Boheme had been sold.
Travel agents who had booked passengers on future cruises got even
less advance notice. They were told Friday that someone had acquired
one of Commodore Cruise Line's two ships.

Bob Garrity, Commodore's marketing director, attributed the suddenness
of the sale to an offer the Boheme's Finnish owners "couldn't refuse."
The buyer has not been identified.

Tags: Freewinds, St. Petersburg

Tax-free status bears burden of proof
August 23, 1987, Editorial, St. Petersburg Times
http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes/access/50101404.html?dids=50101404:50101404&FMT=FT

Some property owners in Pinellas County who are getting a free ride on
taxes are offended because they have to justify their exemptions. But
if Property Appraiser Ron Schultz weren't asking questions, he would be
failing everyone who pays taxes.

Schultz, for the sixth straight year, has examined exemptions for
non-profit institutions and churches throughout the county - a grant of
relief that removed $1.1-billion worth of property from taxation last
year. In so doing, he targeted about 50 religious organizations that
have failed to file appropriately updated financial records to prove
they qualify for the exemption. One Palm Harbor church, for example,
had not filed a financial paper since its original application - at the
turn of the century, when Pinellas was still a part of Hillsborough
County.

Tags: Pinellas County, Ron Schultz

Daughter, Granddaughter Guilty Of Woman's Murder
August 23, 1991, Julie Emery, Seattle Times
http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=1301446&date=19910823

The daughter and granddaughter gave separate statements to police
telling how they had chopped up 50 capsules of Dilantin, an
anti-seizure medicine, then mixed it in clam chowder and fed it to Van
Sickle Nov. 17 in the family home in Rainier Valley.

But when she was still alive the next day, they put a pillow over her
face and suffocated her. After a 20-minute struggle, Van Sickle died.

Tags: Judge Sullivan, Murder, Suzine Van Sickle

Scientology Inc.
August 23, 2001, Jim Evans, Sacramento News & Review
http://www.newsreview.com/sacramento/Content?oid=8220

Over the past 18 years, e.Republic has essentially become the principal
information source on governments' adoption of technology. The
company's conferences draw everybody who's anybody among the government
"digerati." Its magazines, notably its flagship, Government Technology,
have become the industry bibles of the government techno-nerd set. For
instance, if you want the latest news on whether governments will
supply online access to court files, you'll find it in Government
Technology. Another e.Republic offshoot, the Center for Digital
Government, provides research and consulting to state and local
governments.

To the outside world, e.Republic is a trusted resource for government
officials and business leaders alike. Inside, some employees feel as if
they won't get a fair shake if they're not Scientologists.

Tags: Allstate, Applied Scholastics, CCHR, Center for Digital Government,
Church of Spiritual Technology, Citizens for Social Reform, Converge, Dennis
McKenna, Don Pearson, e.Republic, Effective Training Solutions, Germany,
Government Technology, Ingrid Gudenas, Jon Atack, Paulette Cooper, Stephen
Kent, WISE

Scientology 101
August 23, 2006, ABC News
http://abcnews.go.com/print?id=900376

A definition of Scientology is hard to pin down. Basically, it's a
system of beliefs, teachings and rituals originally established as a
secular philosophy by L. Ron Hubbard.

Tom Cruise, Paramount Part Ways
August 23, 2006, People
http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,1304046,00.html

"It's nothing to do with his acting ability, he's a terrific actor,"
Redstone said. "But we don't think that someone who effectuates
creative suicide and costs the company revenue should be on the lot."

Tags: Paramount, Paula Wagner, Rick Nicita, Sumner Redstone, Tom Cruise,
Viacom

The business of Cruise control
August 23, 2007, John Clark, NY Daily News
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/2007/08/23/2007-08-23_the_business_of_cruise_control.html

Then he was torched by the press, by Hollywood and by just about anyone
within striking distance of a celebrity newsweekly for criticizing
psychiatry, antidepressants and Brooke Shields' handling of postpartum
depression. And for talking up Scientology as if it had all the answers.

Tags: Sumner Redstone, Tom Cruise

Xenu is Loose! The Musical!
August 23, 2007, Carmody Wilson, The Herald
http://www.heraldscotland.com/not-so-much-girl-power-as-new-matrons-1.863731

Xenu is Loose! The Musical! follows the plight of Jen, a
not-quite-convert to Scientology as she is charmed and seduced by a
handsome member of the church during her initial tour. Meanwhile, Xenu
has escaped from his native planet and has murder in mind.

Tags: Xenu

Muammar Gaddafi was closer to a cult leader, than dictator
August 23, 2011, Jonathan Kay, National Post
http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2011/08/23/jonathan-kay-muammar-gaddafi-was-closer-to-a-cult-leader-than-dictator/

In recent days, I've received some insight into this megalomaniacal
mindset from an unlikely source. In her new book, Inside Scientology,
Rolling Stone reporter Janet Reitman tells the story of how a mentally
unbalanced pill-popping bigamist named L. Ron Hubbard turned his
fevered space-opera fantasies and medical conspiracy theories into a
cult-cum-business that, at the time of his death in 1986, was worth
$400-million. Hubbard wasn't a politician, but he was very much a
fascist - as evidenced by the sadistic punishments meted out to
"dissident" Scientologists, and by the creepy power-worship themes that
suffused many of his hack science fiction stories.

Tags: Janet Reitman, L. Ron Hubbard, Muammar Gaddafi

(2012's) Top 25 People Crippling Scientology, Nos. 17-20
August 23, 2012, Tony Ortega, Runnin' Scared, Village Voice
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2012/08/scientology_top_25_jamie_dewolf_amy_scobee.php

L. Ron Hubbard's great-grandson moves up a few spots on our list this
year after the way his profile has been rising lately. After the TomKat
split, DeWolf was asked to make some comments, and an interview he gave
to a Bay Area local television station got picked up and went around
the world a few times. We'd predicted big things for Jamie, who has a
lot of talent and charm, and isn't afraid to speak freely about his
great-grandad.

Tags: 1968, 1980, Amy Scobee, Astra Woodcraft, BBC, Blown for Good, Claire
Headley, Daily Beast, David Miscavige, Facebook, Hollywood, Ideal Org, Int
Base, Isabella Cruise, Jaffa, Jamie DeWolf, Jefferson Hawkins, John
Brousseau, Kate Bornstein, L. Ron Hubbard, Lisa Marie Presley, Los Angeles,
Nashville, Paul Thomas Anderson, Ron DeWolf, Scientology executive, Sea Org,
Seattle, Tami Lemberger, Tel Aviv, The Hole, Xenu

Body found in Peachtree Corners ID'd, cause of death pending
August 23, 2012, Tyler Estep, Gwinnett Daily Post
http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/news/2012/aug/23/body-found-in-peachtree-corners-idd-cause-of/

The body found last week behind a Peachtree Corners business has been
identified, but the cause of death remains undetermined pending
toxicology results.

The deceased man, found at about 2:30 a.m. on Aug. 13, has been
identified as 39-year-old Ronald Corona, "who is originally from
Pennsylvania and has been temporarily living in the Gwinnett area since
November 2011," Gwinnett County police spokesman Cpl. Edwin Ritter said
Thursday. Corona had previously been identified only through a pair of
distinct tattoos on his body.

Tags: Death, Narconon, Narconon Georgia, Ronald Corona

PR Director of Scientology's Las Vegas Celebrity Center Arrested in Plot to
Assassinate a Cop
August 23, 2013, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
http://tonyortega.org/2013/08/23/pr-director-of-scientologys-las-vegas-celebrity-center-arrested-in-plot-to-assassinate-a-cop/

NOW POSTED BELOW: We have the 20-page police report detailing what
Brutsche and Newman told police during the undercover investigation of
their plan to kidnap and kill a police officer. AND FINALLY - A
STATEMENT FROM SCIENTOLOGY

ALSO: Devon Newman was once a tenant living in the home of Karen de la
Carriere, former wife of the president of the Church of Scientology!
See our update, below.

Devon Campbell Newman, 67, became the public relations director of
Scientology's "Celebrity Center" in Las Vegas, Nevada early in 2010 and
has remained in that position to the present day - that's according to
her own LinkedIn profile as well as numerous online records of her
activities as a Scientologist.

Tags: 1966, 1970, 1977, 1979, 1980, 1997, 2000, 2004, 2010, 2011, Advanced
Org, AOLA, Arrest, Big Blue, Celebrity Centre, Church of Scientology
International, Clear, Devon Newman, Fair Game, FBI, Heber Jentzsch, Karen de
la Carriere, Karin Pouw, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Los Feliz, Marisol Nichols,
Mary Sue Hubbard, Membership, Memphis, Nathan Baca, Nevada, Office of Special
Affairs, Orange County, OT, Quicky, Scientology organization, Sea Org,
Terrorism, The Hole

Prices Are Going Up While We Are Going Down!
August 23, 2013, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/prices-are-going-up-while-we-are-going-down/

The Smiths are at it again - throwing out more confusion and hidden
data to try to drum up some business.

Not only is Miscavige planning the super extravaganzapalooza of
amazingness to blow the minds of the sheeple with Super Power, Cause
Resurgence, GAG II, the meter, dictionary and a whole new building in a
circus tent with fireworks, dancing elephants and clowns, he also plans
to make a shitload more money with price "changes" (increases) as it
just wouldn't be fair to let people "rocket up the Bridge faster than
ever, ever, ever" without making them pay more for the privilege of
getting less so much quickier.

You can read all about it here.

Tags: Cause Resurgence Rundown, Clear, Cornerstone, Field Staff Member, L.
Ron Hubbard, OT, OT VII, Quicky, Rundowns, Sec Check, Super Power, WISE

(VIDEO) ALS Ice Bucket Challenge
August 23, 2014, Chris Shelton, Critical Thinker at Large
http://mncriticalthinking.com/2014/08/23/video-als-ice-bucket-challenge/

Today I took the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. I myself have not been a
heavy contributor to charities nor have I had any awareness of what ALS
even was until this past week. And I think that is the entire point of
the success behind this ALS campaign. With a simple video challenge
done in the style of a chain letter, over 53 million dollars have been
raised to help fight what has been an incurable disease with very
little actual support or public awareness.

This ALS challenge is doing more to raise awareness, educate the public
and raise much-needed money than any number of boring PSAs or
nationwide marketing campaigns I've seen. I'm not trying to denigrate
the efforts of anyone to get the word out about their charities or
causes. I'm merely pointing out that the elements of humor and
participation succeed where so much else has not. I think many
charities right now are probably looking at their fundraising efforts
in a whole new light.

ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease, is a horrible thing. I have no
words to describe how awful it would be to contract this illness and I
feel for those who have it and their families and friends. Hopefully,
the funds being raised are enough to find a cure within my lifetime.

Tags: Quicky

Effect and Cause
August 23, 2014, Marty Rathbun, Moving On Up a Little Higher
https://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2014/08/23/effect-and-cause/

Aristotelian and Newtonian two-valued, space-time logic philosophy and
science are demonstrated to be essentially of a mind construct basis by
developments in quantum mechanics and the related fledgling field of
science of consciousness. Those historical three-dimensional views were
popular for a couple thousand years because they proved so workable in
taming the wild, creating material comforts, and suppressing and
killing competitors for those comforts (fundamental motives driving the
evolution of civilization). Aristotle and Newton were not only
worshipped by scientists for centuries, their theories were ruthlessly
enforced on society by the predominant Western church as it considered
their theories 'proved' that an anthropomorphic God was at the center
of the universe who set the whole frenzied cosmos in motion. Having
monopolized the communication channels to God, a tremendous continually
increasing fortune was at stake in promoting those views. That binary
thinking remains a mainstay of social darwinists today who preach
'survival of the fittest' or as Hubbard's mentor Aleister Crowly put it
'Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law' to justify their
rapacity and greed.

This is not to say Aristotle and Newton were not pillars in humankind's
evolution toward greater understanding. In fact, few compare to their
contributions. It is to say, however, wisdom and understanding like
life itself continually evolve. And that mental and spiritual
philosophies grounded in limited logic are to some degree obsolete.
Just as many of Newton's and Aristotle's principles are defied and
transcended by nuclear and quantum physics (whose breakthroughs at
least 70% of our economy is based upon), so are those of the mental and
spiritual philosophies based upon their systems of thought.

In the traditional Cartesian (strict mind vs. matter view, as validated
and supported by Aristotelian and Newtonian thought) construct, in the
beginning there was a cause and the entire purpose of the cause was the
creation of an effect; and we are all more or less the effect of the
resultant infinity of cause-effect sequences. Therapies that promise to
wed one or return one to the native, original cause in all this set
themselves up for lifetime income from clients/adherents. Their 'why
traps' are outfitted with an infinity of divining in the never-ending
cause-effect sequences. It is akin to charging a squirrel for running
in a wheel for eternity when modern science has demonstrated that
'cause' isn't any more important than 'effect' and that in ultimate
reality (read beyond the traditional five animal senses) does not even
necessarily precede it.

Tags: Buddhism, Quicky

Jon Atack: How Scientology's methods of manipulation stay with you after you
leave
August 23, 2014, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
http://tonyortega.org/2014/08/23/jon-atack-how-scientologys-methods-manipulation-stay-with-you-after-you-leave/

Jon Atack is the author of A Piece of Blue Sky, one of the very best
books on L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology. He has a new edition of the
book for sale, and for more than a year on Saturdays he helped us sift
through the legends, myths, and contested facts about Scientology that
tend to get hashed and rehashed in books, articles, and especially on
the Internet. He was kind enough to send us a new post.

We're fortunate to have two pieces this week from you, Jon. On
Thursday, you told us about L. Ron Hubbard's theory that life was a
game, with him controlling the pieces. Today, you're talking again
about leaving Scientology and recovering from it. Help us understand
why it is ex-Scientologists have a hard time leaving the church behind.

JON: To keep the follower trapped in the mindset of the group, it is
necessary to erect fences, so that they will not stray. In most groups
these fences melt away once the rituals of the group are abandoned. The
Krishna stops chanting all day long. The TMer stops repeating the
"secret" demonic name, ceaselessly. Away from the rallies and the group
euphoria, people come down from the high and integrate back into
reality and the mundane. Not so with Scientologists. Scientology is
self-reinforcing. We keep on "confronting" with our TRs "in," and we
try to inflict the petty, endless rules of L. Ron Hubbard on all who
are around. Until we don't, which usually takes some intervention on
the part of reality (or from me and others of my independently-minded
ilk).

Tags: 1955, 1965, A Piece of Blue Sky, Cyril Vosper, Dianetics, Fair Game,
FBI, Germany, Hubbard Communication Office Bulletin, Jay Hurwitz, Jon Atack,
Michigan, Moonies, OT, Quicky, R2-45, Squirrels, The Way to Happiness

The Miscavige IAS Scam Rolls On
August 23, 2014, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/the-miscavige-ias-scam-rolls-on/

The latest edition of Impact magazine has been mailed out. It is a
recounting of the magnificent IAS evening aboard the Freewinds. Of
course, it highlights "Mr. David Miscavige" though these days they
don't bother with identifying him in the 7 full page photoshopped pix
featuring his new thin look.

The weight of the world seems to be resting upon his shoulders and it
is showing.

This was a veritable shermanspeak orgy, and while I am not going to
recount everything here, I am including his opening and closing
statements for your reading pleasure (amazement?).

Tags: Brisbane, Chairman of the Board, Colombia, David Miscavige, Detroit,
Dominican Republic, Facebook, FBI, Freewinds, Golden Age of Tech, Ideal Org,
International Association of Scientologists, IRS, Israel, Italy, Japan, L.
Ron Hubbard, Mexico, Nepal, New Zealand, Quicky, Religious Technology Center,
Scam, South Africa, Texas

Chill EB joins the Sea Org - well, long enough to wish a happy birthday!
August 23, 2015, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
http://tonyortega.org/2015/08/23/chill-eb-joins-the-sea-org-well-long-enough-to-wish-a-happy-birthday/

Our thanks to the tipster who found this little gem. Scientology's
in-house hip hop ambassador, Norman Berry a/k/a Chill EB, makes a Sea
Org member's day by showing up, with singer Stacy Francis, to wish her
a happy birthday.

We've written extensively about Chill, who seemed confused by our
interest in him. We just think he's a fascinating story, and we've
enjoyed some of the songs he's written as Scientology's home rapper.

Stacy Francis, meanwhile, is also someone we've looked at over the
years. We always enjoy it when she claims no connection with
Scientology, especially when she shows up in a video like this. Anyway,
we look forward to all of your observations about this video and the
glimpse it gives of the Sea Org today...

Tags: Alfreddie Johnson, Basel, Bob Duggan, Catholic, Chill EB, Cura?ao,
David Miscavige, David Pomeranz, France, Freewinds, Grant Cardone, Ideal Org,
Jesus Christ, Jonny Jacobsen, Mexico City, Nancy Cartwright, Norman Berry,
Paris, Portland, Purification Rundown, Quicky, Rizza Islam, Sea Org, Stacy
Francis, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tom Cummins

Purif Promises
August 23, 2015, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/purif-promises/

Really? The Purif is going to prevent blood brain disorders? Skin
cancer? Reproductive problems?

They are actually claiming the the Purif is the "solution" - no, the
only solution to the bisphenol you accumulate from drinking for plastic
water bottles that can cause cancer? And the kidney/liver damage you
are suffering from associating with Mr. Clean.

This is based on NOTHING. But promoted as truth.

Tags: 2014, Battle Creek, Clear, Detox, OT, Purif, Purification Rundown,
Quicky

Today in Scientlology web page:
http://umbraxenu.no-ip.biz/today.html
August 23 in Scientlology web page: