Today in Scientology -- February 23rd ***************************************

Scientology Today

Feb 23, 2017, 9:01:41 PM2/23/17
Today February 23rd in Scientology history

Chilocco Official Wants IRS to Audit Narconon
February 23, 1991, Patti Weaver, Tulsa World
http://www.tulsaworld.com/archives/chilocco-official-wants-irs-to-audit-narconon/article_c8f1714c-5d3b-57ed-b39d-1a83c234eed5.html

The head of the Chilocco Development Authority on Friday called for an
IRS audit of Narconon, which unexpectedly paid $10,000 to the CDA two
days before it was to discuss ending Narconon's lease for a drug
treatment center on Indian land.

"You don't just make a $10,000 mistake. This check really deepens our
suspicions if we're receiving our proper share in this venture from
Narconon," CDA chairman Robert Chapman said Friday.

The CDA - composed of the leaders of five Indian tribes and two
at-large members - was to meet here Friday to consider the Kaw Nation's
call for an end to Narconon's lease on seven grounds, including
suspected fraud by Narconon in reporting the number of patients served.

Tags: Bureau of Indian Affairs, Chilocco Development Authority, Gary Smith,
IRS, Kaw, Narconon, Narconon Chilocco, Pawnee, Robert Chapman

A quiet paranoia settles in Clearwater
February 23, 1997, Mary Jo Melone, St. Petersburg Times
http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes/access/17002579.html?FMT=FT&dids=17002579:17002579&FMTS=ABS:FT

Only some Scientologists are obvious in Clearwater. One shop owner
called them The Red People and The Blue People, for the plain uniforms
they wear to signify they work for the church. They telegraphed a
remarkable fixedness as they passed, alone or in groups, on Friday.
They looked straight ahead. Their faces were expressionless. They did
not acknowledge one another. They walked briskly. When they approach on
foot, one downtown office worker said, you tend to think you'd better
get out of the way.

Tags: 1995, Clearwater, Lisa McPherson

Church member's death now called accident
February 23, 2000, Thomas C. Tobin, St. Petersburg Times
http://www.sptimes.com/News/022300/TampaBay/Church_member_s_death.shtml

Medical examiner Joan Wood now is calling the 1995 death of
Scientologist Lisa McPherson an "accident," a change that is causing
prosecutors to rethink their case against the Church of Scientology.

Wood's original ruling called the manner of death "undetermined."

Scientology's top executives, clearly pleased Tuesday, called the
switch "extremely significant and a huge development that dramatically
affects the state's case."

Tags: 1993, 1995, 1996, Clearwater, Doug Crow, Joan Wood, Ken Dandar, Larry
Bedore, Lisa McPherson, Marty Rathbun, Mike Rinder, Scientology staff, Tampa

Scientologists face Paris ban
February 23, 2002, BBC News
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1836812.stm

The public prosecutor in France has accused the Church of Scientology
of engaging in "mental manipulation" and called for it to be shut down
in Paris.

The religious group, whose membership includes Hollywood stars Tom
Cruise and John Travolta, is currently on trial for attempted fraud and
false advertising in its efforts to recruit and keep members.

Tags: France, Marc Bromberg, Marc Walter

Schools urged to drop antidrug program / Scientology-linked teachings
inaccurate, superintendent says
February 23, 2005, Nanette Asimov, San Francisco Chronicle
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/02/23/MNGQJBFKV81.DTL

State Superintendent Jack O'Connell urged all California schools on
Tuesday to drop the Narconon antidrug education program after a new
state evaluation concluded that its curriculum offers inaccurate and
unscientific information.

"We'll get a letter out to every school district today, saying this
program is filled with inaccuracies and does not reflect widespread
medical and factual evidence," O'Connell said of Narconon Drug
Prevention & Education, a free program with ties to the Church of
Scientology.

Tags: California, California Healthy Kids Resource Center, Clark Carr,
Deborah Wood, Gary Sninsky, Hawaii, Jack O'Connell, Los Angeles, Los Angeles
Unified School District, Narconon, Narconon Drug Prevention & Education, Ooze
towel, San Francisco, Trish Bascom

As Mad as The Madman
February 23, 2006, legobabe, YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs-moX_gduI

Re-edited :- The Shrinking world of L. Ron Hubbard (founder of
Scientology)

Tags: L. Ron Hubbard

Inside Scientology
February 23, 2006, Janet Reitman, Rolling Stone
https://web.archive.org/web/20061017051335/http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/9363363/inside_scientology/print

Rinder has fielded questions on Scientology's beliefs for years. When I
ask him whether there is any validity to the Xenu story, he gets
red-faced, almost going into a tirade. "It is not a story, it is an
auditing level," he says, neither confirming nor denying that this
theology exists. He says that OT material -- and specifically the
material on OT III -- comprises "a small percent" of what Scientology
is all about. But it is carefully guarded. Scientologists on the OT
levels often carry their materials in locked briefcases and are told to
store them in special secure locations in their homes. They are also
strictly forbidden from discussing any facet of the materials, even
with their families. "I'm not explaining it to you, and I could not
explain it to you," says Rinder heatedly. "You don't have a hope of
understanding it."

Tags: Aleister Crowley, Celebrity Centre, Chuck Beatty, Clearwater, David
Miscavige, Delphi, Detox, Dianetics, Disconnection, Fair Game, FBI, FDA, Gene
Denk, Int Base, Jack Parsons, Kristi Wachter, Mace-Kingsley Ranch, Mary Sue
Hubbard, Mike Rinder, Narconon, OT III, Purif, Rehabilitation Project Force,
Religious Technology Center, Sea Org, Sec Check, Sky Dayton, Snow White
Program, Space Opera, Stephen Kent, Study tech, Super Power, Tom Cruise,
Tommy Davis, Tory Christman, Vistaril, Wogs, Xenu

Inside the Church of Scientology
February 23, 2006, Anderson Cooper, Anderson Cooper 360?, CNN
http://edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0602/23/acd.01.html

JANET REITMAN, "ROLLING STONE" MAGAZINE: What surprised me most was
that they live in a kind of alternate universe to our own, or that they
sort of exist in one. I wouldn't say that everybody sort of lives in
one, because I think the vast number of, you know, scientologists who
are not celebrities live by their own code. They have a language that
they speak that was created by L. Ron Hubbard. [Transcript]

Is There Anybody Out There?
February 23, 2007, Nihal, Radio 1 Documentary, BBC Radio
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/documentaries/070223_scientology.shtml

Tom Cruise, John Travolta, Juliette Lewis, all well known devotees of
Scientology. But what exactly is it? Celebrity fad? Self help therapy?
Sci-fi wierdness? religion? Business club?

With a peek inside the Sussex headquarters, Nihal attempts to uncover
the truth about aliens, alternative therapies and hard cash. Featuring
an exclusive interview with actress, musician and Scientologist
Juliette Lewis.

Tags: Bob Keenan, East Grinstead, Hartley Patterson, Multimedia, Tory
Christman

Proposed amendment to picketing ordinance in Riverside County to be revisited
February 23, 2009, Julia Glick, Press-Enterprise
http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_S_advance24.39e7f45.html

Riverside County supervisors will reconsider today residential
picketing restrictions that they suspended and sent back for revisions
last month.

The amended picketing ordinance set to be introduced today differs from
the earlier one in that it would limit protests targeting residences in
unincorporated Riverside County to 30 feet from the property line
instead of 50 feet from the property line.

Tags: Int Base, Jeff Stone, Pamela Walls, Riverside, Samuel Alhadeff

Australian TV & Nick Xenophon take on Scientologist Tommy Davis
February 23, 2010, doyle63l5, YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO7088z1hb0

This is the FOLLOW-UP to yesterday's major story, where reporters from
the Australian political show, Today Tonight, travel to Los Angeles
after getting a surprise acceptance of Interview from Tommy Davis.

Broadcast date: February 23, 2010

Tags: Australia, Los Angeles, Nick Xenophon, Sea Org, Today Tonight, Tommy
Davis, Video

Manson once proclaimed Scientology
February 23, 2010, Greg Goodsell, Catholic Online
http://www.catholic.org/national/national_story.php?id=35505

Among the many former adherents of Scientology is convicted mass slayer
Charles Manson. Found guilty in leading the murders against nine
individuals, later called the Tate-La Bianca massacre, Manson once
proudly proclaimed Scientology as his religion of choice

Tags: Charles Manson, Lanier Rayner

On Taking the Scientologists' Shilling
February 23, 2010, Michael Miner, Chicago Reader
http://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader/archives/2010/02/23/on-taking-the-scientologists-shilling

The reporters in the project were Russell Carollo, who won a Pulitzer
for investigative journalism at Dayton's Daily News in 1998, and
Christopher Szechenyi, formerly a producer at 60 Minutes. The product's
editor was Steve Weinberg, former executive director of Investigative
Reporters and Editors and a longtime faculty member of the University
of Missouri School of Journalism.

Weinberg told Kurtz he was paid $5,000 for his work, which was "kind of
like editing a Columbia Journalism Review piece." The project was an
"unusual situation" and "certainly [not] something just any reporter
would do." But "my role was more limited, and I can certainly use the
money these days." He said the Scientologists can put the report "in a
drawer" if they wish, but if they publish it they must publish it in
full.

Tags: Christopher Szechenyi, Freedom magazine, Jim Lynch, Neil Brown, Russell
Carollo, Steve Weinberg

Scientology Exposed by Today Tonight from Tuesday the 23rd of February 2010.
February 23, 2010, bastardsheep, YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5cuN5nA4cE

Scientology Exposed by Today Tonight, this is the third part of a
series by Channel 7's Today Tonight which aired on the 23rd of February
2010.

Tags: Scientology Exposed, Today Tonight, Video

Fowler Branded Slaying Victim 'Extortionist,' DA Says
February 23, 2011, EndPlay, Live Blog, Denver Channel
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/26967613/detail.html

Fowler, 58, had "hit rock bottom" as the company he had nurtured for 25
years suffered financial problems, in part because he made an
unauthorized "large donation of company's funds to an organization,"
defense attorney Sara Strufing said during opening statements in
Fowler's week-long murder trial.

Unspoken in the trial is that Fowler diverted an estimated $175,000 to
the Church of Scientology, in which he was a long-time member and
minister.

Tags: Emily Witt, Fowler Software, Judge Francis Wasserman, Laura Ciancio,
Laura Zaspel, Rex Fowler, Robert Houchins, Sarah Quinn, Thomas Ciancio, Von
Mark Bailey, Yvette Werner

Lynne Hoverson and Bert Schippers speak out in Seattle!
February 23, 2011, Marty Rathbun, Moving On Up a Little Higher
https://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2011/02/23/lynne-hoverson-and-bert-schippers-speak-out-in-seattle/

I have had the privilege of meeting these fine folks. Their write up
may be the most damning indictment to date on Scientology Inc's
disregard and disdain for those who empower it. Btw, Seattle is rocking.

Bert Schippers and Lynne Hoverson hereby announce that we no longer
support, and are no longer part of, the squirrel organization called
the Church of Scientology.

So much has been written by others before us, that expressed exactly
what we wanted to say when we could not. For that we thank you all very
much! The histories posted helped us see that we were not alone, that
the outpoints we saw weren't just "something wrong with us."

Tags: 1973, 1986, 1989, 2001, 2009, AOLA, Auditing, Basics, Bert Schippers,
CCHR, Clear, Cornerstone, Disconnection, Excalibur, FBI, Humanitarian, Ideal
Org, International Association of Scientologists, Knowledge Reports, L. Ron
Hubbard, Lynne Hoverson, Master at Arms, Office of Special Affairs, OT, OT
III, OT IV, OT V, Patron Meritorious, Quicky, Sea Org, Seattle, Silver, Super
Power, Tommy Davis, USA, Volunteer Ministers

Church of Scientology demands right to underpay
February 23, 2012, Joe Hildebrand, Daily Telegraph
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sydney-nsw/church-of-scientology-demands-right-to-underpay/story-e6freuzi-1226278803894

SCIENTOLOGISTS have asked the federal government for an exemption to
the Fair Work Act so they do not have to pay workers the minimum wage.

In a submission to the Fair Work review, public affairs director
Reverend Mary Anderson said the Church of Scientology, which believes
Earth was founded 75 million years ago by an alien tyrant called Xenu,
should be exempt from workplace law because it was a legitimate religion.

Tags: Australia, Fair Work Act, Fair Work Ombudsman, Mary Anderson

Church of Scientology demands right to underpay workers
February 23, 2012, Joe Hildebrand, Daily Telegraph
http://www.news.com.au/business/church-of-scientology-demands-right-to-underpay/story-e6frfm1i-1226278848377

"The Fair Work Act review process should not be treated as an
opportunity to air extremist and farcical viewpoints devoid of facts.

"This attitude that an employer should have complete free rein to pay
and treat their staff however they want has no place in the modern
Australia."

Tags: Australia, Fair Work Act, Fair Work Ombudsman, Jeff Lawrence, Mary
Anderson

Kristina Royce: Perspective
February 23, 2012, Marty Rathbun, Moving On Up a Little Higher
https://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2012/02/23/kristina-royce-perspective/

Kristina has been a Scientologist during six decades. Thus, she
provides a broad view that few can share. Read and learn.

These are my reasons for no longer wanting to participate with the
Church of Scientology and why I have disconnected from it. To begin
with, here is a quote by LRH on the aims of Scientology, which I fully
support.

The Aims of Scientology, by L. Ron Hubbard

Tags: 1950, 1964, 1975, 1989, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2003, 2007, 2011, AOLA,
Apollo, Basics, Boston, California, Chairman of the Board, Class VI, Clear,
Clearwater, Commodore's Messenger Organization, David Miscavige, DEA,
Dianetics, Flag Service Organization, Fred Hare, Freewinds, Ideal Org, L. Ron
Hubbard, Mary Sue Hubbard, New World Corps, Org Board, OT, OT Committee, OT
V, OT VII, OT VIII, Quicky, Religious Technology Center, Sandcastle,
Scientology organization, Sec Check

Scientology Demands the Right to Employ Slaves in Australia While Getting
Puff Pieces in DC, Florida
February 23, 2012, Tony Ortega, Runnin Scared, Village Voice
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2012/02/scientology_aro.php

Still waiting to hear from you, Tom: your church is arguing on your
behalf for slave wages for Sea Org members, man. Nice naval hat, though.
On Thursdays, Scientologists race to get their weekly stats in, so we
like to do the same by totaling up how the church fared internationally
in the past seven days. This week, in particular, we saw a wild
divergence in the way Scientology got treated by the press, and so
we're going to share that with you in this Thursday Stats Roundup.

We're starting in Australia, where we reported last year that the
country's Fair Work Ombudsman has been looking into the way Scientology
works people incredibly long hours for almost no pay. That
investigation ended up in the church's favor, as the Ombudsman found
that several former church members complaining about how they were
treated had either been out of Scientology too long, or had volunteered
their time.

But now, the Daily Telegraph in Sydney has reported, a local
representative for the church sent the Fair Work review a letter
telling the government to keep its mitts off of Scientology's holy (and
wholly unpaid) laborers.

Tags: 1996, 2007, Ascot Vale, Australia, Bryan Seymour, Cadet Org,
California, Child labor, Daily Telegraph, DC, Debbie Cook, Fair Work Act,
Fair Work Ombudsman, Florida, France, Freewinds, Ideal Org, Jeff Lawrence,
Joe Hildebrand, Luis Garcia, Mary Anderson, Melbourne, OC Weekly, Office of
Special Affairs, Operation Clambake, Orange County, Paris, Paulien Lombard,
Private investigator, Quicky, Ray Jeffrey, Reverend, Review, Rupert Murdoch,
San Antonio, San Antonio Express-News, Sea Org, Shane Kelsey, Squirrel
Busters, Steve Cannane, Susan Taylor, Switzerland, Sydney, Tampa, Tampa Bay
Times, Telegraph, The Telegraph, Tom Cruise, UK, Valeska Paris, Washington,
Washington Examiner, WhyWeProtest

Scientology Mythbusting with Jon Atack: Fair Game!
February 23, 2013, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
http://tonyortega.org/2013/02/23/scientology-mythbusting-with-jon-atack-fair-game/

ALSO IN TODAY'S POST: Is there a subliminal message from Lisa Marie
Presley on the back of this T-Shirt? See below! In 1990, author Jon
Atack published what is still one of the very best books on L. Ron
Hubbard and Scientology, A Piece of Blue Sky. Atack now has a new
edition of the book out, and it reminded us what an encyclopedic
resource he is. So we had an idea. In the world of Scientology
watching, we noticed that there seem to be some legends, myths, and
contested facts that tend to get hashed and rehashed in books,
articles, and especially on the Internet. With Atack's help, we're
going to tackle these issues one by one, drawing on Jon's deep
knowledge and sharp sense of humor.

Jon, this week we wanted to ask you about one of Scientology's most
hurtful and notorious legacies - its history of going after people with
what it calls "Fair Game."

For decades, there is quite a well documented pattern of Scientology
hiring thugs to harass, intimidate, and attempt to destroy people for
so much as criticizing the church publicly. Where did this ruthless,
cloak-and-dagger practice originate in Scientology?

Tags: 1947, 1955, 1959, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1975, 1982, 1990,
1993, 2008, A Piece of Blue Sky, A. E. van Vogt, ABLE, Apollo, Astra
Woodcraft, Battlefield Earth, Bill Franks, Clearwater, Conditions, Dianetics,
Disconnection, Dissemination, East Grinstead, Ernie Hartwell, Ethics, Ethics
Order, Eugene Ingram, Ex-Scientology Kids, Fair Game, FBI, Fred Hare,
Guardian's Office, Hymn of Asia, Idenics, IRS, Jenna Miscavige Hill, Jon
Atack, Kendra Wiseman, Las Vegas, Lawrence Wright, Lisa Marie Presley, Mary
Sue Hubbard, Mitt Romney, Movie, OT, Paulette Cooper, Private investigator,
Quicky, Saint Hill, Saint Hill Manor, Scientology staff, Suppressive Person,
Sussex, Valeska Paris, Wog

Chris Shelton Speaks
February 23, 2014, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/chris-shelton-speaks/

Chris Shelton, who has posted here as Galactic Patrol for some time,
sent me this article for publication.

It provides an interesting perspective on being a staff member and
being in the SO. It may not be everyone's view, but it certainly aligns
with much of what I experienced.

And I think it is a helpful addition to multiple viewpoints that are
expressed here in an effort to make all data available to those who are
interested.

Tags: 1990, 2006, AOLA, ARC Straightwire, Basics, Bridge Publications, Chris
Shelton, Clear, Command Intention, Congress, David Miscavige, Disconnection,
Ideal Org, International Association of Scientologists, Key to Life, L. Ron
Hubbard, Purif, Purification Rundown, Quicky, Registrar, Scientology staff,
Sea Org

Couple to marry in UK's first Scientology wedding after winning Supreme Court
case
February 23, 2014, Ian Johnston, The Independent
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/couple-to-marry-in-uks-first-scientology-wedding-after-winning-supreme-court-case-9147501.html

The judges' ruling in December said that the chapel should be
registered as a place where marriages could take place because
"Scientology comes within the meaning of a religion" ? a decision that
could have significant ramifications as religions can seek charitable
status and tax exemptions.

A government source said at the time that the ruling could "open the
floodgates" to other groups claiming to be religions for tax purposes.

Tags: Alessandro Calcioli, David Hodkin, East Grinstead, Edinburgh, London,
Louisa Hodkin, Marriage, Scotland, UK, UK Supreme Court

Five things to watch for in today's first Scientology wedding in the UK
February 23, 2014, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
http://tonyortega.org/2014/02/23/five-things-to-watch-for-in-todays-first-scientology-wedding-in-the-uk/

The Church of Scientology is naturally very excited that Alessandro
Calcioli and Louisa Hodkin (pictured right) will marry today after
winning a landmark court victory allowing Scientology "religious"
weddings to be held in England for the first time.

Scientology may be dwindling, but it can use every bit of good
publicity it can get, so today's wedding will be streamed live on the
Internet at 11 am Eastern, and we wouldn't miss it.

But coverage of the impending nuptials has been uninformed and even
embarrassing. Despite decades of revelations in books, magazine
articles, and newspaper stories that have laid bare most of
Scientology's secrets, the church still seems to be something of a
mystery for most reporters and many in the public.

Tags: 1965, 1966, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1977, 1980, 1983, 1990, 1993, 2007, 2009,
2011, Ale Calcioli, Alessandro Calcioli, Buddhist, Christian, David Gaiman,
David Miscavige, England, FBI, First Amendment, Freedom of Information Act,
Guardian's Office, Ideal Org, Karin Pouw, Katie Holmes, Leah Remini, Lizzy
Calcioli, Louisa Hodkin, Narconon, Neil Gaiman, Operation Cat, Paul Haggis,
Peter Hodkin, Quicky, Rastafarian, Saint Hill Manor, Scientology executive,
Sea Org, Sheila Gaiman, Snow White Program, Sunday service, Suppressive
Person, Tom Cruise, UK, US Supreme Court, Venus, Wales, Wiccan

Scientology Inc: Spying, Infiltration, Duplicity, Deception, Betrayal, Mark
Fisher Part 2/6
February 23, 2014, SurvivingScientology, YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SAVosEK12I

Mark Fisher was spied on for 22 years by David Miscavige and his
henchmen. He tells the story in Part one and Part 2.

This is how the public's money is spent.

The Church of Scientology has a 501C3 "religious" tax exemption to act
out with malice and retaliation, to hound and spy on past members.

These spy operations are run by the "Office of Special Affairs" a
division of "church" of Scientology International.

It's religious! It's ecclesiastical!

https://www.youtube.com/redirect?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.
com%2Fplaylist%3Flist%3DPL97bG9F7T-UebZJmqB9XcMccVi5rplS3P&redir_token=H05v8jIFp1PaN-KMhzzD8iHVPvd8MTQwOTAxODgwMEAxNDA4OTMyNDAw

Tags: David Miscavige, Facebook, Google, Infiltration, Mark Fisher, Office of
Special Affairs, Spying, Tax exempt, Twitter, Video

Sunday Funnies: There's a new contract for Scientology staff workers, and we
have a copy
February 23, 2014, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
http://tonyortega.org/2014/02/23/sunday-funnies-theres-a-new-contract-for-scientology-staff-workers-and-we-have-a-copy/

On Sundays we enjoy showing you the Scientology mailers and fliers that
our tipsters have forwarded to us. And this week, we have a real treat.

Besides a nice collection of fundraising come-ons from around the
world, we also received an e-mail from a tipster who tells us that he
was a member of org staff. Not Sea Org, but staff, the folks who work
at your local Scientology church.

Although Scientology staff aren't required to sign billion-year
contracts like Sea Org workers, they do make serious commitments and
usually work long hours for modest pay.

Tags: 1955, Advanced Org, AFF, American Saint Hill Organization, AOLA, APA,
ASHO, Bridge to Total Freedom, Church of Scientology International, CIA,
David Miscavige, Dianetics, Hubbard Communications Office, Karen de la
Carriere, L. Ron Hubbard, Los Angeles, Mark Fisher, Mission, OCA, OPP, OT,
Quicky, Religious Technology Center, Sacramento, Scientology Life Improvement
Center, Scientology staff, Scotland, Sea Org, Sunday Funnies, Sunday service,
Sydney

A Rare Peek Into The Church Of Scientology's Finances
February 23, 2015, Abigail Tracy, Vocativ
http://www.vocativ.com/culture/religion/scientology-money/

The Church of Scientology has long been shrouded in mystery, but
several documents released by its Australia operation provide a glimpse
of the secretive religion's balance sheet.

In 2011, the Church of Scientology in Australia reorganized itself as a
type of nonprofit. The change in corporate structure required the
church to make its finances available to the Australian Securities and
Investments Commission. Now the Australian press has republished the
reports-and they're enlightening. The church brought in a staggering
$33.1 million in revenue over the course of 2011 and 2012, but still
lost money during those years, according to the financial statements.
In 2012, the church lost $169,156, up from $136,375 in 2011.

Tags: 2011, 2012, Australia, Australian Securities and Investments
Commission, Church of Scientology Australia

Church of Scientology opened its books showing large revenue and losses
February 23, 2015, NineMsn
http://www.9news.com.au/national/2015/02/23/06/57/church-of-scientology-opened-its-books-showing-large-revenue-and-losses

The Australian arm of the Church of Scientology collected more than $30
million in income from merchandising sales and donations following the
launch of its Melbourne centre in 2011 despite having only 2163 members.

The normally secretive organisation had to open its books for the
Australian Securities and Investments Commission after it changed its
corporate structure in 2011.

The church's figures show a large flood of income into the organisation
in 2011 and 2012, including $4.3 million in donations and $2.9 million
in interest collected from $28 million in investments, News Corp reports.

Tags: Australia, Australian Securities and Investments Commission, Census,
Church of Scientology Australia, Virginia Stewart

Phoenix Ideal Org Fail
February 23, 2015, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/phoenix-ideal-org-fail/

This is an ideal org?

I thought they were supposed to go into instant "straight up vertical"
expansion? Phoenix was opened in June 2012. More than 2.5 YEARS ago.

The org is empty, we have had a number of people report on the empty
org, here is a report from 2013. Now there is more proof of what a
failure this "ideal org" is.

Tags: 1994, 1997, 2012, 2013, Clear, Ideal Org, Phoenix, Quicky, Student Hat,
Virginia

Scientology and the French Resistance
February 23, 2015, Marty Rathbun, Moving On Up a Little Higher
https://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2015/02/23/scientology-and-the-french-resistance/

In the most recent edition of its 'Freedom' magazine, Scientology may
demonstrate why the people of France and their institutions constitute
one of the few remaining bastions of resistance against abuses of the
cult. Freedom's article entitled 'Get Religion?' is at first blush a
level-headed plea for 'freedom of religion.' Clearly it is
scientology's latest effort to hide behind the cloak of religion in
response to unprecedented media coverage of its abuses. In that regard,
Freedom espouses a number of 'religious freedom' arguments that are the
epitome of hypocrisy. They rail against censorship and alleged attacks
upon conscience while carrying on operations as perhaps the most
censorious and violent usurper of expressions of religion and
conscience. Its aims to dominate and silence opposition are so strong
that even within its best efforts to convince the world it is
reasonable, scientology cannot restrain nor well-disguise its
overriding intentions. Scientology's stripes appear loud and clear to
the attentive reader in the following Freedom passage on the recent,
highly publicized terror attack on and murder of French journalists and
artists:

"The editors at Charlie Hebdo appeared to go to great lengths to
antagonize extremists and some might even say provoke the deadly
terrorist response with its publishing of sacrilegious depictions of
the Prophet Muhammad they knew to be deeply offensive to Muslims. Is
the freedom to publish also the freedom not to publish?"

'Some might even say' is textbook scientology code for 'everybody
knows'; a generalization technique deftly developed by its founder L.
Ron Hubbard to mean 'we say, but the hell if we are going to take
responsibility for saying it.'

Tags: Charlie Hebdo, Clear, France, Muhammad, Muslim, Quicky, Tom Cruise

Scientology Australia spills its guts, and you can thank Bryan Seymour and
Nick Xenophon
February 23, 2015, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
http://tonyortega.org/2015/02/23/scientology-australia-spills-its-guts-and-you-can-thank-bryan-seymour-and-nick-xenophon/

For several years, one of Australia's crusading senators, covered
closely by one of the country's most dogged television reporters, put
pressure on the Church of Scientology to face more regulation with the
creation of a national charities commission.

That effort paid off yesterday in a big way when Scientology's internal
financial reports were revealed for the first time by the Australian
press, providing a rare look at how the organization is faring in that
country.

We have those reports for you to go through, as well as some help
understanding them from former Scientology spokesman (and native
Australian) Mike Rinder.

Tags: 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 9News, Adelaide, Advanced Org, Australia,
Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission, Australian Securities
and Investments Commission, Author Services Inc, Basics, Bridge Publications,
Bryan Seymour, California, CCHR, Census, Church of Scientology Australia,
Cult, David Miscavige, Delphian School, Disconnection, E-meter, Facebook,
Florida, Foundation for a Drug-Free World, Ideal Org, Melbourne, Membership,
Mike Rinder, Narconon, Nick Xenophon, Oregon, Science of Survival, Sea Org,
Sydney, The Herald, The Way to Happiness, UK, Virginia Stewart

Scientology's secret riches revealed
February 23, 2015, John Dagge, Daily Telegraph
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/scientologys-secret-riches-revealed/story-fnii5smt-1227234668874

THE Church of Scientology netted close to $30 million from religious
audits, book sales and donations in the two years following the launch
of a major new base in Melbourne.

The opening of the multi-million dollar facility in Ascot Vale at the
start of 2011 also lead to a 35 per cent surge in people completing
Scientology courses but interest has since tempered, financial records
show.

The rare insight into the finances? of the highly secretive
organisation came as it filed annual reports with the Australian
Securities and Investments Commission.

Tags: 1980, 2009, 2011, 2012, Australia, Australian Securities and
Investments Commission, Census, Church of Scientology Australia, Melbourne,
Real estate, Stress Test, Virginia Stewart

(VIDEO) The Scientology Experience: Shane Weightman (Part 5)
February 23, 2016, Chris Shelton, Critical Thinker at Large
http://mncriticalthinking.com/2016/02/23/video-the-scientology-experience-shane-weightman-part-5/

This is the fifth and final part of my interview with former
Scientologist Shane Weightman.

Tags: Bridge to Total Freedom, Clearwater, Florida, London, Office of Special
Affairs, Quicky, Shane Weightman

Orlando Magic
February 23, 2016, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/orlando-magic-2/

Hey presto, it's a rabbit out of a hat.

Suddenly, Orlando is the "next milestone done."

It's pretty clear that nobody raised the funds for Orlando - they are
barely even an org and probably have less than 50 public and staff all
told. "International management" paid for it (of course, there is no
such thing as "international management" these days, it is David
Miscavige and "helpers in favor at the moment.")

Tags: Atlanta, Battle Creek, Boston, Chairman of the Board, Chicago, Dallas,
David Miscavige, Detroit, Flag Service Organization, Hannah Mets, Harlem,
Harry Potter, Kansas City, Miami, New Haven, New Jersey, New York City,
Orlando, OT, OT IX, OTC, Porn, Puerto Rico, Quicky, Rehabilitation Project
Force, Religious worker, Russia, Sea Org, Silicon Valley, Texas, Venezuela

Scientology tried to suppress this video, and that's why you're seeing it
here today
February 23, 2016, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
http://tonyortega.org/2016/02/23/scientology-tried-to-suppress-this-video-and-thats-why-youre-seeing-it-here-today/

(Chrissie and Shane Weightman)

Former Sea Org worker Chris Shelton has been a regular contributor here
at the Bunker and he's made a name for himself with his video
interviews of fellow former church members. Often, he premieres those
videos here. But recently, he posted a "bonus" interview series at his
YouTube channel, and now it's blown up into a bigger story.

Shelton interviewed Shane Weightman more than a year ago, but for
several reasons the two of them decided to sit on it, waiting for the
right time to make it public. Shane grew up in Scientology, met his
wife Chrissie Weightman in England, and then the two of them became
disillusioned and left the organization in 2010, announcing that they
had left the church on Marty Rathbun's blog. They now live in the
Denver area, where Shelton also resides.

Tags: 2003, 2010, Australia, Basics, Belgium, Brussels, Chris Shelton,
Christine Weightman, Clear, Clearwater, Colin Taufer, Colombia, Deb Voss,
Delphi, Delphi Academy, Denver, East Grinstead, England, Europe, Florida,
Greenfields Academy, Heather Tapia, HowdyCon, Jonny Jacobsen, L. Ron Hubbard,
Legoland, London, Martin Weightman, Marty Rathbun, Mexico, Narconon, Office
of Special Affairs, Operating Thetan, OSA Int, OT 7, Paris, Quicky, Robin
Smith, San Francisco, Sea Org, Sec Check, Shane Weightman, Suppressive
Person, Tampa, Youth for Human Rights International, YouTube

The Scientology Experience: Shane Weightman (Part 5)
February 23, 2016, Chris Shelton, YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F6GQJX8MhU

In order to provide more points of view and experience on my channel,
I'm interviewing people involved in Scientology and other destructive
cults and getting their stories. This is Part 5 of Shane Weightman's
story, a 2nd generation Scientologist from Europe who was on staff at
the Church of Scientology of London.

Scientology: A to Xenu, is available here:

Tags: Amazon, Europe, London, Office of Special Affairs, Scientology: A to
Xenu, Sea Org, Shane Weightman, Video

Scientology's Celebrity Whisperer: An inside account of life in the fame-
obsessed church
February 23, 2017, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
http://tonyortega.org/2017/02/23/scientologys-celebrity-whisperer-an-inside-account-of-life-in-the-fame-obsessed-church/

(Quailynn McDaniel and Jenna Elfman)

Quailynn McDaniel was exactly what Scientology was looking for. The
yoga instructor was fit and pretty, and her husband worked for a major
software firm.

They had children. They were well liked. And they had money.

Tags: 1963, 1970, 1992, 1995, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2013,
2015, Auditing, Author Services Inc, Azurelynn Panek, Basics, Battlefield
Earth, Bill Feeley, Bodhi Elfman, Bridge to Total Freedom, California, Cara
Golashesky, Caribbean, Catherine Bell, Celebrity, Celebrity Centre, Chinese,
Cisco, Clear, Clearwater, Colombia, Dallas, David Minkoff, David Miscavige,
Delphi, Disconnection, E-meter, Ethics, Ethics Officer, Facebook, False
Purpose Rundown, Flag Land Base, Florida, Fort Harrison, Freewinds, Going
Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief, Hawaii, Hemet,
Hollywood, Int Base, International Association of Scientologists, Jenna
Elfman, John Travolta, June Zwan, Katrina, Key Contributors, Kirstie Alley,
Knowledge Report, Knowledge Reports, L. Ron Hubbard, Lawrence Wright, Leah
Remini, Lisa McPherson, Los Angeles, Maine, Master at Arms, Mental breakdown,
Mission, New Orleans, New York, Oregon, OT, OT 7, OT 8, Passport, Paul
McDaniel, Penelope Cruz, Private investigator, Purif, Purification Rundown,
Quailynn McDaniel, Quicky, Rebecca Minkoff, Richard Elfman, Rowan Trollope,
San Diego, Sandcastle, Sea Org, Sean Panek, Seattle, Sec Check, Sid Klein,
Spanky Taylor, Super Power Building, Suppressive Person, Tampa, Texas, Tom
Cruise, Tommy Davis, Uri Minkoff, Valentine's Day, Washington, Zurich

Thursday Funnies
February 23, 2017, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/thursday-funnies-116/

They're not very "OT"

They don't seem to be at cause over time...

Seems to be an epidemic of un-OTness...

Tags: 1958, 1966, 1978, AOLA, ASHO, Cambridge, Class VIII, Clear, Clearing
Course, Freewinds, Hollywood, International Association of Scientologists,
Joy Villa, L. Ron Hubbard, Miami, Orange County, OT, OT Committee, Paris,
Purif, Quicky, Sec Check, Thursday Funnies

You're Biased, I'm Biased, Everyone's Biased!
February 23, 2017, Chris Shelton, Critical Thinker at Large
http://mncriticalthinking.com/2017/02/23/youre-biased-im-biased-everyone-else/

In the never-ending war between conservatives and liberals, which is
really no different than the war between Tories vs the Whigs, the Blues
vs the Grays or Mounds vs Almond Joy, there is one argument that crops
up all the time which I want to put an end to right here and now.

People get into arguments over their positions and try to come up with
ways to prove the opposing side wrong. The most effective way of doing
this is calmly and rationally pointing to facts and evidence which
support their position and which cannot be refuted or disproven by
their opponent. This doesn't always work for any number of reasons, but
it is still the best way to go about it. There are other things people
do too and one of those is to say "Well you're just biased" as though
they are making some radical and important point that invalidates
everything you had to say. Yeah...not so much. In fact, they might as
well be saying that you're wrong because you have skin or because you
breathe.

Bias is a prejudice in favor or against some thing, person, group or
idea compared with another, usually in a way considered to be unfair.
Basically it's an idea that for whatever reason, a person or thing is
different from others in some way and that difference matters, usually
in such a way as to create distrust, fear and anxiety. The bias may or
may not be true or provable or valid; that doesn't matter too much.
Biases are based on emotion as often as on facts or reason. Studies
have shown that when someone can see that the differences they believe
to exist aren't real or don't have to be a deciding factor in relations
with others, trust can increase and reduce the anxiety that underlies
bias. So education, social training and tolerance are key factors in
reducing bias of all kinds.

Tags: 2012, Ohio State University, Quicky, Researcher

Today in Scientlology web page:
http://umbraxenu.no-ip.biz/today.html
February 23 in Scientlology web page:
http://umbraxenu.no-ip.biz/days/02-23.html