Today in Scientology -- December 30th ****************************************

Scientology Today

Dec 31, 2019, 8:46:57 AM12/31/19
Today December 30th in Scientology history

Real Estate Developer Convicted Of Fraud In Scientology Trial
December 30, 1986, Associated Press
http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1986/Real-Estate-Developer-Convicted-Of-Fraud-In-Scientology-Trial/id-e250b0b1ba2295b43651beb696c1cec4

BOSTON (AP) _ A man has been convicted of trying to force the Church of
Scientology to pay $100,000 for bogus information about a forged $1.5
million check on the account of the late church founder, L. Ron Hubbard.

George T. Kattar, 67, of Methuen, was found guilt Monday of one count
of extortion, but was acquitted of three counts of wire fraud and one
of accepting stolen money. He faces up to 20 years in prison when he's
sentenced Feb. 6.

A co-defendant, lawyer Harvey Brower, 49, of Swampscott, was acquitted
on all five counts by the U.S. District Court jury.

Tags: 1982, Boston, Convicted, Fraud, Geoffrey Shervell, George Kattar,
Harvey Brower, Michael Avery, Michael Flynn, Quicky, Real estate, Trial

TROUBLES AT STRAIGHT INC.
December 30, 1991, Dan Beyers, Washington Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/local/1991/12/30/troubles-at-straight-inc/247a9886-8b18-4d66-9172-eb62b14ab997/

Straight Inc.'s drug treatment center for adolescents is having a
difficult time settling into its new home in Columbia.

The program continues to run into regulatory troubles with Maryland
authorities. It has suffered high staff turnover as a result of its
move from Virginia. And Straight Inc. officials are having a hard time
finding new clients; the center's enrollment, which stood at 52 clients
in July, has dropped to fewer than 40.

Straight Inc. went a couple of days without telephone service earlier
this month. An official said a bookkeeping error left a bill unpaid.
Service has since been restored.

Tags: Drug Free America, Joy Margolis, Maryland, Quicky, Virginia

Unamailer explains bombings
December 30, 1996, CNET
http://news.com.com/Unamailer+explains+bombings/2100-1017_3-258247.html

Nordin speculated that it has something to do with a public-access
cable show he directs, but in fact, the unamailer's letter states that
he chose Nordin and three others because "the cult of scientology needs
to be shot down. it is a criminal organization and should be treated as
such."

Ironically, Nordin said he's actually a critic of Scientology.

"I guess it shows how good his research is," he said. "He's a bonehead."

Tags: Carolyn Meinel

Report: Scientology Settles With IRS
December 30, 1997, Associated Press
http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1997/Report-Scientology-Settles-With-IRS/id-fe7a3034829460ad84163ab7329fc62e

NEW YORK (AP) _ The Church of Scientology paid the Internal Revenue
Service $12.5 million as part of a settlement of a long-standing
dispute with the tax agency, The Wall Street Journal reported today.

Details of the 1993 settlement, which helped secure the tax-exempt
status of the main Scientology church, previously had not been released.

The details included the church's agreement to drop thousands of
lawsuits against the IRS and to stop assisting others in other lawsuits
against the agency based on claims before the Oct. 1, 1993, settlement
date, the Journal said.

Tags: 1954, 1967, 1993, Dianetics, Frank Keith, Internal Revenue Service,
IRS, Mental Health, Monique Yingling, Quicky, Scientology organization, Wall
Street Journal

Scientologists and IRS settled for $12.5 million
December 30, 1997, Elizabeth MacDonald, Wall Street Journal
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Cowen/essays/wj301297.html

According to a copy of the settlement, details of which have never
before been made public, the church also agreed to set up a special
"church tax-compliance committee," composed of high-level church
officials, to monitor its adherence to the pact and to laws governing
nonprofit organizations.

Further, the church agreed to drop thousands of lawsuits filed against
the IRS in courts around the country and to stop assisting people or
groups suing the agency based upon claims prior to Oct. 1, 1993, the
settlement date. Any Scientology member or organization that sues based
on those claims could face IRS penalties.

The 1993 agreement was nearly unprecedented and brought an end to an
extraordinary battle. Starting in 1967, the IRS had argued that the
main Scientology church should lose its tax-exempt status because it
was a for-profit business that enriched church officials. The church's
response was an all-out attack: filing suits against the IRS, feeding
negative stories about the agency to news organizations, and supporting
IRS whistle-blowers.

Tags: David Miscavige, Frank Keith, Freewinds, IRS, Monique Yingling,
Secondary copy

Scientology: A Tour of Clearwater
December 30, 2006, Mark Bunker, YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6yI9Ulsom4

Retired Police Lt. Ray Emmons gives us a tour of Scientology's
properties in Clearwater, Florida.

Tags: Clearwater, Florida, Police, Quicky, Ray Emmons

2 Accusing Miscavige
December 30, 2008, Jonny Jacobsen, Infinite Complacency
http://infinitecomplacency.blogspot.com/2008/12/1-witnesses-for-prosecution_30.html

Former Scientology executive are speaking out against the movement's
leader, David Miscavige, accusing him of ruling through violence and
intimidation.

For at least two years, it was one of the main topics of conversation
on the Internet news groups and message groups devoted to exposing
Scientology. But nobody was ready to go on the record.

Then in 2008, a handful of senior former members of the movement began
speaking out in public to whoever would listen. Their stories were
shocking but consistent.

Tags: 1980, 1986, 1990, 2005, 2006, 2009, Anonymous, California, Celebrity,
David Miscavige, Ex-member, Hamburg, Hemet, Int Base, Jefferson Hawkins, John
Peeler, Katie Holmes, Los Angeles, Marc Headley, Nicole Kidman, Quicky,
Rehabilitation Project Force, San Jacinto, Scientology executive, Suppressive
Person, Tom Cruise

3 The Case against Miscavige
December 30, 2008, Jonny Jacobsen, Infinite Complacency
http://infinitecomplacency.blogspot.com/2008/12/2-speaking-out_903.html

High-level defectors from Scientology are beginning to speak out about
the movement's leader, David Miscavige and the beatings they say he
hands out to fellow executives.

Jeff Hawkins says he had no idea about David Miscavige's violence until
he was himself attacked for the first time in 2002 - and he had been
working at the base for more than 10 years.

"People don't say 'Oh did you hear that Miscavige beat up so-and-so?' -
it is just not mentioned," he said. It was only once he started
attending regular meetings with Miscavige - or DM as he is known - that
he says he found out the hard way.

Tags: 1984, 2002, Counterfeit Dreams, David Miscavige, George Orwell,
Jefferson Hawkins, John Peeler, Karin Pouw, Portland Mercury, Quicky, Sea
Org, Suppressive Person, Violence

4 A History of Violence
December 30, 2008, Jonny Jacobsen, Infinite Complacency
http://infinitecomplacency.blogspot.com/2008/12/miscavige-history-of-violence.html

For celebrity member Tom Cruise, Scientology's leader David Miscavige
embodies everything that is good about the movement: but some former
colleagues insist he has a darker side.

For actor Tom Cruise, Scientology's leader David Miscavige is a shining
example of all that is best about the movement: a paragon of
compassion, tolerance and intelligence.

In October 2004, at a special event in England, Tom Cruise paid this
tribute to Miscavige, Chairman of the Board (COB) of Scientology's
Religious Technology Center.

Tags: 1978, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1986, 1987, 1990, 1998, 2004, 2006, BBC,
California, Chairman of the Board, David Beckham, David Mayo, David
Miscavige, Denise Brennan, Don Larson, England, Florida, Happy Valley, Hemet,
Italy, Katie Holmes, L. Ron Hubbard, La Quinta, Los Angeles, Marc Headley,
Mary Sue Hubbard, Panorama, Pulitzer Prize, Quicky, Religious Technology
Center, Scientology executive, St. Petersburg Times, Tom Cruise, Violence,
Will Smith

6 Jeff Hawkins' Story
December 30, 2008, Jonny Jacobsen, Infinite Complacency
http://infinitecomplacency.blogspot.com/2008/12/4-jeff-hawkins-story.html

One of the new wave of Scientology defectors describes why he devoted
decades of his life to the movement: and why he finally quit.

Jeff Hawkins spent most of his adult life in Scientology before joining
the recent wave of defectors from the top echelons of the movement.
While he has still has fond memories of his time there, he has no
regrets about leaving.

"I got involved in Scientology when I was still quite young," he
recalled. "I was living in Southern California and was part of the
hippie culture. I was very actively involved in the anti-war movement,
and was a voracious reader."

Tags: 1960, California, Chinese, Counterfeit Dreams, David Miscavige,
Disconnection, Hemet, Int Base, Jefferson Hawkins, John Peeler, Quicky,
Suppressive Person

8 Life at the Base
December 30, 2008, Jonny Jacobsen, Infinite Complacency
http://infinitecomplacency.blogspot.com/2008/12/5-life-at-base.html

Former residents at Scientology's International Base recall a harsh
regime where every aspect of life is tightly controlled.

"I worked for many years for Scientology. Some of it was good, some
bad," said Jeff Hawkins. "Then I was transferred to the International
Base in Hemet and it went downhill from there."

The International Base, a compound of 500 acres, lies at the base of a
range of hills at the north end of the San Jacinto Valley, southern
California, about 90 miles east of Los Angeles. It is the heart of
Scientology's empire.

Tags: 1967, 1984, Abuse, California, David Miscavige, Disconnection, Ethics,
George Orwell, Golden Era Productions, Hemet, Int Base, Jefferson Hawkins,
John Peeler, Los Angeles, Master at Arms, Quicky, San Jacinto, Sea Org,
Suppressive Person

Second Chance inmates may be coming back
December 30, 2008, Carlsbad Current-Argus
http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/2102900/

Four inmates from Eddy County currently undergoing drug rehabilitation
treatment at the Second Chance center in Albuquerque will probably have
to serve their time in jail if the facility is closed, Carlsbad
Magistrate Judge Henry Castaneda said.

"The defendants from Eddy County will have to come back to jail here
unless we can find another drug treatment center for them," Castaneda
said.

On Saturday, the Associated Press reported that on Friday, Albuquerque
Mayor Martin Chaves had terminated the city's lease with Second Chance.
The article also stated that the rehabilitation center has until Jan.
31 to vacate the facility.

Tags: Albuquerque, Joy Westrum, Judge Castaneda, Martin Chaves, New Mexico,
Pete Dinelli, Second Chance

An Important Difference Between Radical Scientology and Independent
Scientology
December 30, 2010, Marty Rathbun, Moving On Up a Little Higher
https://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2010/12/30/an-important-difference-between-radical-scientology-and-independent-scientology/

The following lecture passage succinctly differentiates between where
the Church of Scientology is headed and where Independent
Scientologists are going. It is LRH from History of Dianetics, 28
December 1954:

Phenomenna, Phenomena. Phenomena. Phenomena. They wouldn't have turned
up, don't you see, if we hadn't been going in a direction of ability.
We're trying to discover ability so, naturally, disabilities announce
themselves and all the phenomena there is, actually could be cataloged
under disabilities. So you see the direction of research? Do you see
why we got someplace in Dianetics and Scientology? We're goin in the
opposite direction. We just reverse things. And instead of trying to
write down, "The number of insanities are..." (fellow by the name
Kraeplin did this) ? number of insanities are catalog, catalog,
catalog, catalog; category, category, category; catalog, catalog,
catalog, catalog, category, category, category and unclassified. It's
real cute. That's the most enormous list you ever saw in your life.

It didn't get anybody on the road. Why? He was going around looking for
disabilities, looking for disabilities, looking for disabilities,
looking for more disabilities. And of course he'd find a disability,
he'd simply fix on it because that's what a disability does. So
research and investigation of disabilities would continually wind
people up in trouble and with set ideas ? with catalogs. It would wind
them up with an enormous variety of disabilities, were they able to
take their attention off the last disability they'd found. But they
don't.

Tags: 1954, Dianetics, Independent Scientologists, Independent Scientology, L.
Ron Hubbard, Quicky

Scientology in the Village Voice: 2011 in Review
December 30, 2011, Tony Ortega, Runnin' Scared, Village Voice
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/12/scientology_in_the_village_voice_2011_in_review.php?page=all

Our last story of the year will be posted tomorrow morning, when we
announce our Commenters of the Year awards.

Along the way, we covered breaking stories, interviewed fascinating
people, revealed formerly secret Scientology documents, and tried to
put Scientology's various difficulties into perspective.

Some of those stories brought more of you around to take a look than
others. After the jump, we'll look at the most popular stories of the
year...

Tags: 1996, 2006, 2007, Anonymous, Apollo, Arrest, Australia, Bryan Seymour,
Chill EB, Chris Guider, Daniel Montalvo, David Miscavige, Disconnection, Fair
Game, Fair Work Ombudsman, Freedom magazine, Freewinds, Grant Cardone,
Humanitarian, Ingleside, Jan Eastgate, Janet Reitman, Karin Pouw, L. Ron
Hubbard, Lawrence Wright, Lori Hodgson, Mark Ebner, Marty Rathbun, Matt
Stone, Melissa Paris, Michael Sandlofer, New Yorker, Nick Xenophon, Office of
Special Affairs, Paul Haggis, Paulette Cooper, Placido Domingo, Project
Chanology, Ramana Dienes-Browning, San Francisco, Sea Org, Simon Wiesenthal
Center, South Park, Squirrel Busters, Stacy Francis, Steve Cannane, Texas,
Tom Cruise, Tommy Davis, Trey Parker, Valeska Paris, Xenu

Top Ten Posts of 2011
December 30, 2011, Marty Rathbun, Moving On Up a Little Higher
https://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2011/12/30/top-ten-posts-of-2011/

I have provided a list here with links to each of the top ten most
visited posts of 2011, counting down from number ten to number one. If
you have a few moments you might want to peruse it. It gives an
interesting overview of the past year of activity.

10. A Letter From The San Patricio County Jail. September 17

9. Grant Cordone: Turnaround or Turncoat King. June 20

Tags: Corpus Christi, David Miscavige, Journalist, Michael Fairman, New
Yorker, Quicky, San Patricio County, South Park, Tony Ortega

Final Sunday Funnies of 2012: Scientology Targets the Rose Parade!
December 30, 2012, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
https://tonyortega.org/2012/12/30/final-sunday-funnies-of-2012-scientology-targets-the-rose-parade/

With our year in review finally over, we're left with one last Sunday
in 2012, and what would a Sunday be without Funnies?

Our tipsters have been terrific this year, and we're still getting
great stuff from them every day. So let's send 2012 out in style by
looking at the latest fundraising mailers that Scientology has sent to
its members.

Now, if you live in the Los Angeles area - and many of the dwindling
remainder of Scientologists do - then you know all about the Rose
Parade, the thing you do your best to wake up for and watch bleary-eyed
on your television while fighting a nasty hangover.

Tags: 2013, Applied Scholastics, Colorado, David Miscavige, Dianetics, Egypt,
Golden Age of Tech, Los Angeles, Nebraska, New Mexico, New Year's Eve, New
York, NYPD, Oiliness table, OT, Pasadena, Quicky, Sunday Funnies, Super Power
Building, Texas, UK, Valley Ideal Org

It's Alright
December 30, 2012, Marty Rathbun, Moving On Up a Little Higher
https://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2012/12/30/its-alright/

Tags: Quicky

Scientology's 2013 in review: Courtroom antics reported live and on the spot!
December 30, 2013, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
https://tonyortega.org/2013/12/30/scientologys-2013-in-review/

We're continuing our year in review here at the Underground Bunker and
we've reached September and October, when legal matters really came to
the fore - and sent your proprietor around the country for some
eyewitness dramatics!

September started out with yet another surprise: Scientology leader
David Miscavige filed a personal declaration in an attempt to get
himself removed as a defendant in Monique Rathbun's harassment lawsuit.
It had been about 20 years since the last time Miscavige made a similar
filing, and it gave us an indication of just how seriously Monique's
lawsuit was being taken by the church. A few days later Monique fired
back with a declaration by her husband Marty Rathbun, making it clear
that they believed Miscavige had lied in his sworn statement.

On September 2, we published one of our longer pieces here at the
Bunker this year, an emotional tale about a young Australian couple
torn apart by Scientology. Yannus Sufandi asked for the help of several
ex-Scientologists to hold an intervention at the home of Tiziano Lugli
for his girlfriend, Manuela Oliveira, and we just happened to be there.
Last we heard, Manuela was still in Scientology's Sea Org, but had
moved to Sydney.

Tags: 2015, Abortion, Atlanta, Australia, California, Comal County,
Craigslist, David Miscavige, Dutch, Florida, France, Jason Beghe, Jefferson
Hawkins, Jon Atack, Judge Dib Waldrip, Judge James Whittemore, Judge Ronald
Sohigian, Laura DeCrescenzo, Leah Remini, Los Angeles, Luis and Rocio Garcia,
Marty Rathbun, Monique Rathbun, New Braunfels, Quicky, Sea Org, SLAPP, Super
Power Building, Sydney, Tampa, Tampa Bay Times, Texas, Tiziano Lugli, Tommy
Davis, US Supreme Court, WhyWeProtest, Yannus Sufandi

Corporate coercion, Landmark Education and AHS
December 30, 2014, Charles Rusnell, CBC Investigates, CBC News
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/cbc-investigates-corporate-coercion-landmark-education-and-ahs-1.2884780

Documents obtained by CBC News through freedom of information show
Alberta Health Services gave controversial personal development company
Landmark Education free rein to operate for more than a year despite
complaints from employees.

Tags: Alberta Health Service, Audio, Calgary, Landmark, Landmark Education

Scientology's 2014 in review: Our October surprise was all about the Duggans
December 30, 2014, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
https://tonyortega.org/2014/12/30/scientologys-2014-in-review-october/

Bob Duggan We're nearly done with our year-end look back at the most
significant stories here in the Underground Bunker.

And now we're looking at October, when we released our biggest
investigative story of 2014. But first, there was a mess at PAC base
that we needed help understanding...

October began with some surprising changes for Scientology at its Los
Angeles headquarters. Former church spokesman Mike Rinder helped us
understand what had happened and why a sudden and massive staffing
change was further proof that Scientology leader David Miscavige is
getting increasingly desperate as his organization dwindles.

Tags: 1949, 2008, 2013, Angry Gay Pope, Bob Duggan, David Miscavige,
Disconnection, Facebook, Forrest Ackerman, Halloween, Jamie DeWolf, Jonny
Jacobsen, Karin Pouw, Kate Bornstein, Laura DeCrescenzo, Leah Remini, Los
Angeles, Mark Ebner, Marty Rathbun, Mike Rinder, Nanette Asimov, Nation of
Islam, New Year's Eve, PAC Base, Quicky, Rizza Islam, San Francisco
Chronicle, SLAPP, South Africa, Tampa, Texas, Tom Cruise, Trish Duggan, US
Supreme Court, Vance Woodward

Valley OTC Minutes
December 30, 2014, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
https://www.mikerindersblog.org/valley-otc-minutes-2/

I have been accumulating copies of the Valley OTC Minutes.

They never seemed that important, but they are of value in documenting
what really happens in these orgs, and what their attention is on.
Frankly, they more resemble an old women's knitting circle than the
leading lights of the greatest civilizing force on earth....

It's also interesting to note how many ex-SO there are in the tiny
number of people that compose these committees.

Tags: Abi Reitze, Alicia Kreisberg, Andrea Doven, Annie Sokoloff, Avner
Golan, Ben Ghiora, Bob Brooks, Bob Duggan, Bob Welch, Bobbi Kassowitz, Bonita
Wilson, Bruce Wiseman, Carol Loweree, Chuck Jacobs, Cindy Bamforth, CLO WUS,
Colleen Bigler, Dali Bahat, David Wilson, Dean Glosup, Debbie Suplee, Diane
Temps, Division 1, Division 2, Division 4, Division 6, Don Saito, England,
Eric Krackow, Fundraising, Hagit Ron, Halloween, Heelah Cohen, Humanitarian,
Ideal Org, Infinity Club, Irad Ron, Jennifer Jacobson, Jill Halverson, Karen
Brown, Kathie Heard, Kathy DiGalbo, Kathy Morrill, Kathy Welch, L. Ron
Hubbard, Larry Marshall, Lauren Perreau, Linda Massey, Manuela Meyer, Mark
Anderson, Marty Kassowitz, Mary Ann O'Donnell, Mary Elizabeth Glosup, Mary
Lee Krackow, Maryann O'Donnell, Nancy Parodi, Ofrah Bahat, OT Ambassador, OT
Committee, OTC, Pasadena, Quicky, Quinn Taufer, Ralph Temps, Ray Loomis,
Rochelle Goodrich, Scott Kreisberg, Shooting, Sue Kattoo, Susan Jacobs,
Tamara Dahill, Terry Morrill, Valley Ideal Org, Vered Ziv, Vicki Shantz

The Latest Con
December 30, 2015, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/the-latest-con/

The cons just keep rolling in. Though they also have an element of
armed robbery. You are presented with a unilateral dictate "here is how
things are now, and that means you have to turn over more money to us."

This one is a new angle I hadn't seen before.

In "celebration" of the "golden" age of tech, they have issued NEW
Clear and OT bracelets - "in accordance with LRH's precise instructions.
" Of course, they cost an arm and a leg. But tough. It's all justified
when it is making "planetary clearing a reality."

Tags: 1966, Chairman of the Board, Clear, Colin Davie, L. Ron Hubbard, OT,
Quicky, Vulture

What Scientology's 'social betterment' front groups are really all about
December 30, 2015, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
https://tonyortega.org/2015/12/30/what-scientologys-social-betterment-front-groups-are-really-all-about/

A lot of our coverage this year was about Scientology's numerous front
groups. From Legoland giving the Scientology front Youth for Human
Rights $10,000 to play with, to the various disasters of Narconon drug
rehabs, Scientology's sneaky "social betterment" groups seemed to make
a bigger push than ever to get L. Ron Hubbard's name out to the public
in ways that weren't obviously connected to Scientology.

But even with its increased efforts, Scientology can't really hope to
become a force in the nation's schools with Applied Scholastics, or
really make a dent in addiction treatment with Narconon, or crush the
psychiatry industry with the Citizens Commission for Human Rights
(CCHR). So what's really going on?

At the Scientology website, the "social betterment" groups are said to
be "supported by" the Church of Scientology...

Tags: 1949, 1981, 1982, 20/20, 2000, 2013, 2014, 2016, ABC, ABLE, Adelaide,
Applied Scholastics, Arkansas, Australia, Austria, Battlefield Earth, Beck
Hansen, Big Blue, Bob Duggan, Bryan Seymour, Cathriona White, CCHR, Celebrity
Centre, Citizens Commission for Human Rights, Claire Headley, Congress,
Dutch, End Phenomena, Erika Christensen, Europe, Forrest Ackerman, Gay
Ribisi, Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief,
Hollywood, Int Base, Ireland, Jeffrey Augustine, Jennifer Linson, Jim Carrey,
Jonny Jacobsen, Knowledge Reports, Laura DeCrescenzo, LAX, Leah Remini,
Legoland, London, Los Angeles, Louis Theroux, Mark Burton, Mark Ebner, Marty
Rathbun, Melbourne, Mike Rinder, Mimi Rogers, My Scientology Movie, Narconon,
Netherlands, Nick Xenophon, Office of Special Affairs, OT, Paulette Cooper,
Perth, Pete Griffiths, Quicky, Sea Org, Seattle, Steve Cannane, Steve
Wozniak, Steven Fishman, Sundance, Sydney, Sylvia DeWall, Tampa, Tax exempt,
Tennessee, Texas, The Way to Happiness, Tipperary, Tom Cruise, Travis Case,
US Supreme Court, Youth for Human Rights International

Donald Trump is technology's befuddled (but dangerous) grandfather
December 30, 2016, Sam Thielman, The Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/dec/30/donald-trump-technology-computers-cyber-hacks-surveillance

Technology? Bah humbug: "I think we ought to get on with our lives,"
said Donald Trump on Wednesday, summing up his take on the complex
problem of apparently Russian phishing attacks on multiple Democratic
party groups during the 2016 election.

As the White House's current resident prepared to impose sanctions on
Russia for hacking, Trump said: "I think that computers have
complicated lives very greatly. The whole age of computer has made it
where nobody knows exactly what's going on."

It's not the first time the president-elect has been stumped by the
digital world, like a technophobe who unwrapped a computer-operated
nuclear arsenal on Christmas morning. And the trouble isn't that nobody
knows exactly what's going on in the "age of computer" ? it's that
technology poses some of the most complex problems in human history to
the incoming administration. And its leader is a man who refers to "the
cyber" and seems more concerned about the weight of the hacker, or
possibly the bed ? his syntax is mysterious ? than about who broke into
the Democratic National Committee.

Tags: 2010, 2011, 2013, Barack Obama, China, Chinese, CIA, DC, Donald Trump,
Gawker, Hillary Clinton, Hulk Hogan, Jeff Sessions, Mike Pompeo, Muslim,
National Security Agency, North Korea, Palantir, PayPal, Peter Thiel, Russia,
Twitter, White House, Yahoo News

Garcias file new motion asking judge to reject Scientology's sham arbitration
December 30, 2016, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
https://tonyortega.org/2016/12/30/garcias-file-new-motion-asking-judge-to-reject-scientologys-sham-arbitration/

Luis and Rocio Garcia have tried again to convince Tampa Federal Judge
James Whittemore that Scientology is making it impossible to resolve
their allegations of fraud, and they've filed a new motion asking Judge
Whittemore to reopen their lawsuit against the church.

What's different this time is that Luis Garcia has detailed in a new
affidavit his Kafkaesque attempts to work within Scientology's rules of
internal arbitration, which he says is an impossible task. We don't
know if this new material will sway Whittemore (he's disregarded
similar requests in the past), but as a document, Luis's affidavit
describing what it's like to be caught inside Scientology's bizarre
"ethics" rules is a useful addition to the historic record.

The Garcias sued the Church of Scientology in 2013, alleging that
they'd been defrauded and lied to when they were pressured to donate
hundreds of thousands to various church causes. In one memorable
example, the California couple say they were convinced to donate
$65,000 to pay for a giant Scientology cross that would go on the top
of the new "Super Power Building" in Clearwater, Florida. But the
church eventually admitted that it had hit up other wealthy members for
the same thing.

Tags: 1949, 2013, 2014, 2015, A&E, Adelaide, Arbitration, Australia, Bob
Duggan, Brandon Orlando, Bryan Seymour, California, Cathriona White,
Clearwater, Daril Cinquanta, Denver, Donald Trump, Facebook, First Amendment,
Flag Land Base, Florida, Forrest Ackerman, Garcia v. Scientology, Gay Ribisi,
Hollywood, International Justice Chief, Ireland, Jennifer Linson, Jim Carrey,
Judge James Whittemore, Karla Taylor, Kathy Slevin, Knowledge Reports, Laura
DeCrescenzo, LAX, Leah Remini, London, Los Angeles, Louis Theroux, Luis and
Rocio Garcia, Luis Garcia, Marcus Ettinger, Mark Burton, Mark Ebner, Marty
Rathbun, Melbourne, Mike Ellis, Mike Rinder, Moises Agami, My Scientology
Movie, Narconon, New Mexico, New York Times, Orlando, Paul Haggis, Perth,
Private investigator, Rod Keller, Russia, Steve Cannane, Super Power
Building, Suppressive Person, Sydney, Tampa, Ted Babbitt, Tom Cruise, US
Supreme Court

Regraded Being
December 30, 2016, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
https://www.mikerindersblog.org/friday-regraded-being-77/

Tags: Quicky, Regraded Being

Scientologists in Scotland fail to confront & shatter SPs
December 30, 2016, Suppressio Hibernicis, YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx2inVZxGls

Scotland's most famous scientologist, John Gourlay, "The Fearless
Leader" fails to shatter the protesters and sends out one of his
minions to "confront" Hayley Murfin SP, who in turn shatters his
delusions.

Tags: Fearless Leader, Quicky, Scotland

Scientology and Abortion
December 30, 2016, Father Frank Pavone, YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yctFrlVQyUs

Subscribe to more videos like this at Facebook.com/FatherFrankPavone
See You There!

Tags: Abortion, Facebook, Quicky

17 Times Ezra Levant's Alt-Right Rebel Media Went Completely Off The Rails in
2017
December 30, 2017, PressProgress
https://pressprogress.ca/17-times-ezra-levants-alt-right-rebel-media-went-completely-off-the-rails-in-2017/

Here's a look back at the worst moments from Rebel Media's year of hate

What a year 2017 was for Ezra Levant and his alt-right website: Rebel
Media.

Between Rebel Media co-founder Brian Lilley resigning over the site's
perceived associations with neo-Nazis to one Conservative MP condemning
Levant's website for promoting "white supremacy" and "anti-Semitism,"
Levant discovered not all press is necessarily good press.

Tags: 2012, 2018, 2019, Alex Jones, Alt-Right, Andrew Scheer, Anti-semitism,
Barbara Kay, Brad Trost, Brian Lilley, California, Canada, Canada Christian
College, Canada Day, Caolan Robertson, Catherine McKenna, CBC,
Charlottesville, Chris Alexander, Chris Wilson, Climate change, Conservative
Party of Canada, Emmanuel Macron, English Defence League, Ezra Levant, Faith
Goldy, Fake, Gavin McInnes, Globe and Mail, Halifax, Hamish Marshall,
Holocaust, Holocaust denial, House of Commons, Infowars, Israel, Jack Buckby,
Jack Posobiec, Jesus, John Robson, Kellie Leitch, Ku Klux Klan, Latvia, Laura
Loomer, Lauren Southern, M-103, Middle East Forum, Muslim, Neo-Nazi, Nigel
Farage, Pierre Lemieux, Pizzagate, Politics, Proud Boys, Qu?bec City, Quicky,
Rebel Media, Republican, Robert Shillman, Tommy Robinson, Toronto, UK,
Ukraine, Vice News, Virginia, Washington, White House, White supremacist

Critical Q&A #141
December 30, 2017, Chris Shelton, YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9rNuXbvudI

The show where I answer your questions. Please leave any comments or
feedback in the comments section here below. I see everything and want
to hear from you.

SHOP FOR CRITICAL MERCHANDISE

http://shop.spreadshirt.com/chrisshelton

Tags: Audio, Critic, Quicky, Scientology: A to Xenu

Life is So Much Better Since I Left Scientology
December 30, 2017, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
https://www.mikerindersblog.org/life-is-so-much-better-since-i-left-scientology/

At First
Scientology used to be fun-at least back in the day when I got involved.
Everyone was young and looking to hook up. We'd go dancing at clubs
after course. People threw parties in cheap rentals on the weekends.
We'd get naked and sit in hot tubs under the stars- and if we didn't
have to be on course the next day, we'd drink wine and beer.

After a while, so many people were getting married, my significant
other and I talked about budgeting money for wedding presents. The OT
Levels were pie in the sky, the local Mission was far from ideal but
always full, and eventually, we got married, too. A few years later,
people started having babies. We may have been poor but times were good.

Tags: Basics, Bridge to Total Freedom, Central Files, David Miscavige, DC, E-
meter, Europe, Facebook, Ideal Org, International Association of
Scientologists, L. Ron Hubbard, Mission, OT, OT 7, Student Hat, Terra
Cognita, Wall of Fire

Scientology Jokes That Would Count As Blasphemy
December 30, 2017, Peter Nyiri, The Sea Organization
https://seaorganization.org/scientology-jokes/

Just so everyone understands, joking is not allowed in Scientology.

You get sent to Ethics and will probably undergo sec checking
(confessional).

Here is the theory:

Tags: Apollo, Clear, Ethics, Jesus, Jesus Christ, L. Ron Hubbard, OT, Quicky,
Sec Check

While Scientology struggled, David Miscavige upped his game in 2017
December 30, 2017, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
https://tonyortega.org/2017/12/30/while-scientology-struggled-david-miscavige-upped-his-game-in-2017/

We're continuing to look back at 2017's most significant stories here
at the Underground Bunker and today it's a flashback to October in our
annual Scientology year-in-review.

On October 4, we asked a question that caused a stir: Is Scientology's
"RPF" a thing of the past? Punishing Sea Org members with the
"Rehabilitation Project Force" is legendary, and we've talked to people
who were stuck for years on the prison-like detail. But recent
defectors tell us that over the past several years, Scientology leader
David Miscavige systematically disbanded the RPF in places around the
world, complaining that it carried too many Hubbard-era rules and
regulations. Sea Org members are still being punished, we're told, but
no longer with trappings of the RPF - and we credited activists like
Mike Rinder for exposing the RPF's legacy of mistreatment.

The next day we provided another excerpt from a 1989 home video made
aboard the Freewinds. This time we featured the remarkable OT 8
graduation speech of a woman named Margie Zacks. This is a
Scientologist reaching the pinnacle of achievement after years of
studying L. Ron Hubbard's "technology." But for many of us, seeing her
talk about how she got there was simply sad.

Tags: 1949, 1950, 1989, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, Adelaide, Australia,
Birmingham, Bob Duggan, Bob Peterson, Bryan Seymour, Cathriona White, Chris
Owen, Clearwater, Continental Liaison Office, David Miscavige, Denver,
Dianetics, England, Erin Hodges Plumb, Europe, Forrest Ackerman, Freewinds,
Garry Scarff, Gay Ribisi, Guelph, Hollywood, Ideal Org, Int Base,
International Association of Scientologists, Ireland, Jeffrey Augustine,
Jennifer Linson, Jim Carrey, Karla Taylor, Knowledge Reports, Laura
DeCrescenzo, LAX, Leah Remini, London, Los Angeles, Louis Theroux, Mace-
Kingsley Ranch, Margie Zacks, Marie Bilheimer, Mark Burton, Mark Ebner, Marty
Rathbun, Mat Pesch, Melbourne, Mike Rinder, Mimi Faust, Mirriam Francis, Miss
Lovely, My Scientology Movie, Nathan Rich, New Mexico, Ontario, OT 8,
Pasadena, Paulette Cooper, Perth, Pete Griffiths, Quicky, Ray Emmons,
Rehabilitation Project Force, Rod Keller, Saint Hill, Sea Org, Steve Cannane,
Sydney, Tampa, Tara Reile, Tom Cruise, US Supreme Court, Wally Hanks

Actress Allison Mack's lawyers argue her threat to leak NXIVM members' nudes
isn't 'serious harm'
December 30, 2018, Marlene Lenthang, Daily Mail
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6540805/Actress-Allison-Macks-lawyers-argue-threat-leak-NXIVM-members-nudes-isnt-harm.html

Smallville actress Allison Mack, who is believed to be
second-in-command of the notorious alleged sex slave cult NXIVM, is
claiming that leaking members' nudes and enforcing labor in the group
doesn't count as 'serious harm'.

Mack, 36, and cult founder Keith Raniere, 58, face charges of sex
trafficking, conspiracy to commit sex trafficking, and forced labor for
running the cult that pulled members from Hollywood.

Members submitted naked photos and made disparaging statements about
their family members to the group's leaders which were allegedly used
as blackmail if members refused to comply with the cult's demands of
forced labor and sex with Raniere.

Tags: 2009, Albany, Allison Mack, Brooklyn, Fox News, Hollywood, Keith
Raniere, New York, NXIVM, Quicky, Texas, US Department of Justice

Critical Q&A #192
December 30, 2018, Chris Shelton, Critical Thinker at Large
https://mncriticalthinking.com/2018/12/30/critical-qa-192/

The weekly show where I answer viewer questions based on what has been
left in the comment sections of my Q&A videos or sent to me by email to
AskChri...@gmail.com. This week, the questions I answer are:

(1) I wanted know more about the Super Power Building and what are the
new strange super power things that Scientologist are suppose to learn
there.

(2) When I blew from the Sea Org after 13 years, I went thru a long
period of being afraid to let anyone know of my connection to
Scientology. I felt embarrassed about that and lied on my job
applications about my job history. Through the years I got used to
thinking and speaking without all the habitual Scientology words and
phrases, but there are a few I never came up with good enough English
words for, such as "dev-t" and "serv-fac." Could you pass on your
replacements for these and other Scn words please?

Tags: Critic, David Miscavige, Marcab, Quicky, Sea Org, Super Power Building,
Tone Scale, Venus

Fast Eddie Whiffs Again
December 30, 2018, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
https://www.mikerindersblog.org/fast-eddie-whiffs-again/

Another in the ongoing series of posts documenting the insane
statements and lies of scientology's only public spokesperson, Fast
Eddie Parkin.

Eddie as you may recall from earlier posts is a long term staff member
in the Office of Special Affairs International (he used to be an
assistant to Heber Jentzsch before Heber was "disappeared" many years
ago).

Fast Eddie is busy on twitter. Though he blocks the people he
constantly carps about, and in fact blocks ANYONE who questions him or
any of his tweets, this self-proclaimed champion of free speech and
human rights (as long as they are his) has people he has not blocked
who see his tweets and pass them on to those he smears. He devotes most
of his efforts to Leah Remini, me, The Aftermath, A&E and Disney.

Tags: A&E, David Miscavige, Debbie Cook, Ed Parkin, Heber Jentzsch, Leah
Remini, Office of Special Affairs, OT, Quicky, STAND

Scientology's building projects & front groups under the microscope in 2018
December 30, 2018, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
https://tonyortega.org/2018/12/30/scientologys-building-projects-and-front-groups-under-the-microscope-in-2018/

On this final Sunday in 2018, we asked Rod Keller to give us his own
year in review. We're so fortunate that Rod gives us a report every
week while he keeps such a close eye on Scientology's "expansion"
projects and front-group operations around the globe.

January brought news that Scientology plans to open a new Narconon
facility in the small town of Ballivor, Ireland. Residents there
protested the construction site, and in November An Bord Plean?la, a
national planning board, ruled that Scientology's drug rehab facility
was a change of use, as the site was previously a nursing home. Given
local opposition it now seems unlikely that planning permission will be
given, adding Narconon Ireland to a long list of failed facilities.
Scientology expressed shock that they were not welcomed with open arms
as they plan their next move. They don't think this battle is over yet.

In February we reported on the efforts of public Scientologists in
Manchester to start renovations of the new Ideal Org building on their
own, without professional help. That project has withered as the easy
projects are now complete. Manchester set a goal to start professional
renovations "by Christmas" but that date seems to have slipped. Hopes
for a new Ideal Org in the UK by the end of 2019 are slim.

Tags: 1949, 1970, 1983, 1989, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, Aaron Smith-
Levin, Abortion, Adelaide, Advanced Org, Affirmations, Africa, Alec Nevala-
Lee, Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe, Amazon, Arkansas,
Australia, Author Services Inc, Ballivor, Barcelona, Battlefield Scientology,
Birthday Game, Bob Duggan, Brussels, Bryan Seymour, California, Canada,
Castle Kyalami, Cathriona White, CCHR, Chris Shelton, Christi Gordon,
Clearwater, Criminon, Dave Richards, David Miscavige, DC, Denver, Detroit,
Dianetics, DirecTV, Disconnection, Dublin, Eileen Barker, England, Europe,
Florida, Former Scientologists, Forrest Ackerman, Foundation for a Drug-Free
World, France, Freewinds, Gay Ribisi, Heather Ruggeri, Hollywood, Ideal Org,
International Association of Scientologists, International Cultic Studies
Association, Ireland, Isaac Asimov, James Packer, Jennifer Linson, Jerry
Whitfield, Jesse Prince, Jim Carrey, Johannesburg, John W. Campbell, Karla
Taylor, Kha Khan, Knowledge Reports, L. Ron Hubbard Way, Laura DeCrescenzo,
LAX, Leah Remini, London, Los Angeles, Louis Theroux, LRH Hall, Mace-Kingsley
Ranch, Manchester, Margie Zacks, Mark Burton, Mark Ebner, Marty Rathbun, Mat
Pesch, Melbourne, Mexico, Michigan, Mimi Faust, My Scientology Movie,
Narconon, Narconon Ireland, Narconon Puebla, New Year's Eve, Orlando, OT, OT
8, Paulette Cooper, Perth, Phil Jones, Philadelphia, R.M. Seibert,
Rehabilitation Project Force, Robert Almblad, Rod Keller, Russia, Safe Point,
Scientology Network, Scientology TV, Sea Org, Snow White Program, South
Africa, South America, Steve Cannane, Stuttgart, Sunny Pereira, Sydney,
Sylvia DeWall, Tampa, Tax exempt, The Way to Happiness, Tom Cruise, Toronto,
Trish Duggan, UK, US Supreme Court, Volunteer Ministers, Whale, Youth for
Human Rights International

BEST OF THE DECADE: Scientology watching's biggest 2010s hits at the
Underground Bunker
December 30, 2019, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
https://tonyortega.org/2019/12/30/best-of-the-decade-scientology-watchings-biggest-2010s-hits-at-the-underground-bunker/

Tomorrow we're going to finish up our look back at the wild year that
was 2019, but it's not every day that you're staring down the barrel of
a new decade, and so we thought we ought to say something about the
2010s and what these years have meant for Scientology Watching.

When 2010 started, we were still reeling from the Anonymous movement
and how it had made Scientology such a hot story again. We were
scrambling to find great stories at the Village Voice, and we knew the
church was in big trouble after a whole raft of former top executives
had gone public with their defections and what things were really like
inside the top echelons of the controversial church.

Since then, wow, what a lot of great stories we've had the privilege of
covering both at the Voice and here at our own website, which started
its existence in 2012. Looking back, these are the milestones that made
this such a dynamite decade for keeping tabs on L. Ron Hubbard's odd
invention and its current caretaker, David Miscavige.

Tags: 1949, 1957, 1961, 1983, 1989, 2000, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014,
2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2020, Abortion, Adelaide, Alec Nevala-Lee, Anonymous,
Australia, Battlefield Scientology, Bob Duggan, Bobette Riales, Bryan
Seymour, California, Canada, Cathriona White, Chrissie Carnell, Clearwater,
Compton, Danny Masterson, David Miscavige, David Venemon, DC, Denver,
Detroit, Dianetics, E-meter, Fair Game, Forrest Ackerman, Freewinds, Gay
Ribisi, Geoff Levin, Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of
Belief, Gregg Hagglund, Halloween, Hanan Islam, Heather Ruggeri, Heber
Jentzsch, Hollywood, Ideal Org, International Association of Scientologists,
Ireland, J. Swift, Jackie Lacey, Jeffrey Augustine, Jennifer Linson, Jim
Carrey, John Blumberg, Karla Taylor, Knowledge Report, Knowledge Reports,
LAPD, Laura DeCrescenzo, Lawrence Wright, LAX, Leah Remini, Lisa Marie
Presley, London, Los Angeles, Los Angeles Times, Louis Theroux, Mace-Kingsley
Ranch, Margie Zacks, Mark Burton, Mark Ebner, Marty Rathbun, Medi-Cal,
Melbourne, Mike Rinder, Mimi Faust, My Scientology Movie, Nancy Cartwright,
Narconon, Netflix, Nevada, New Yorker, Office of Special Affairs, OT 8, Pat
Broeker, Paul Haggis, Paulette Cooper, Perth, Pete Griffiths, Peter Ramsay,
Police, Priscilla Presley, Private investigator, Rehabilitation Project
Force, Reno, Sea Org, Shelly Miscavige, Snow White Program, South Africa,
Sovereign Citizen, Spying, Stanley Harris, Steve Cannane, Suppressive Person,
Sydney, Sylvia DeWall, Tampa, Tampa Bay Times, Tax exempt, Texas, The Truth
Rundown, Tom Cruise, US Supreme Court, Valerie Haney, Valeska Paris, Valley
Ideal Org, Village Voice

The L. Ron Hubbard Hall Money Making Machine
December 30, 2019, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
https://www.mikerindersblog.org/the-l-ron-hubbard-hall-money-making-machine/

Scientology is still hard at it, raising money for the completely
superfluous auditorium they say they are going to construct next to the
Super Power building. And they are sending out new promotional pieces
about it at an increasing rate.

This is a very recent fundraising letter and there is also a whole
magazine devoted to the subject:

This is the cover of the mag...

Tags: 1993, 2018, Clearwater, David Miscavige, Facebook, International
Association of Scientologists, L. Ron Hubbard Hall, Maiden Voyage, New Year's
Eve, Quicky, Ruth Eckerd Hall, Sea Org, Shermanspeak, Super Power, Tax
exempt, Tracey McManus, Twitter

Trump ally may have broken Venezuela sanctions
December 30, 2019, Joshua Goodman, Associated Press
https://apnews.com/0641c2b37886a08240d0ba64c9319699

MIAMI (AP) - Erik Prince, a major Republican donor and founder of
controversial security firm Blackwater, has been referred to the U.S.
Treasury Department for possible sanctions violations tied to his
recent trip to Venezuela for a meeting with a top aide of President
Nicolas Maduro, two senior U.S. officials said.

There's no indication that Prince, whose sister is Education Secretary
Betsy DeVos, will be sanctioned for the meeting last month in Caracas
with Venezuela's Vice President Delcy Rodriguez.

But the fact the visit was flagged underscores the concern of officials
in the Trump administration over what appeared to be anunauthorized
diplomatic outreach to Maduro. This, as support for opposition leader
Juan Guaid? inside Venezuela - if not Washington - appears to be waning.

Tags: 2007, 2017, Africa, Betsy DeVos, Blackwater, Caracas, Dark Right, Erik
Prince, Europe, Houston, Iraq, National Security Council, Republican, Robert
Mueller, Russia, Seychelles, Steve Bannon, US State Department, Venezuela,
Vladimir Putin, Washington, White House

Today in Scientlology web page:
http://umbraxenu.no-ip.biz/today.html
December 30 in Scientlology web page: