Violence erupts at pro-Trump rally in Berkeley

Liberal Tolerance

Jun 24, 2017, 9:24:17 PM6/24/17
At least 10 people were arrested and many others bloodied and
bruised as a Berkeley rally supporting President Trump turned
violent Saturday when fistfights broke out between marchers and
counterprotesters, and crowds of masked anarchists joined the
fray.

“This is a sad day,” Berkeley Councilman Ben Bartlett told
reporters. “We’re better than this.”

The rally, one of several pro-Trump events held across the
United States, began at 2 p.m. at Martin Luther King Jr. Civic
Center Park. That’s less than a mile from the UC Berkeley campus
where a violent protest Feb. 1 forced the cancellation of a
speech by right-wing provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos.

The fighting Saturday started even before the event began, with
people throwing punches, swinging signs and tossing smoke bombs.
Hundreds of people filled the park, with anarchists and
counterdemonstrators far outnumbering what rally sponsors
estimated were 60 to 75 Trump supporters.

By 3 p.m., the self-proclaimed anarchists were dominating the
crowd. Dressed all in black and wearing cloth bandannas over
their faces, they stopped traffic as they marched from the park
through downtown with the smaller mix of Trump supporters and
counterprotesters. In the park, people opposed to Trump threw
eggs and burned both American flags and the red “Make America
Great Again” Trump campaign hats.

Kiki Valenzuela, a sophomore at Berkeley High School, was at the
rally to protest Trump. She wore a short-sleeved shirt reading
“liberal elite” and said she was excited for her first taste of
activism. But when the crowds became violent, with people
beating each other until they bled, the 16-year-old became
scared and ran to the perimeter.

“It’s weird to see the (Trump) supporters in my city and my
town,” she said. “It’s the first time for me, and it’s kind of
scary and dangerous.”

BART service to downtown Berkeley was suspended for a time due
to what transit district officials described as “civil
disturbance.”

“This is the most immature and disgusting display of human
interaction,” said David Tomes of San Rafael, a pro-Trump
marcher with a “Don’t Tread on Me” flag draped around his
shoulders and an American flag in one hand. The 49-year-old said
he owns a yoga studio in Petaluma and has been targeted for his
political beliefs.

Trump supporter Jared Malan, 27, wore civilian fatigues and
gripped an American flag as he stood at the park Saturday
afternoon, silently watching the bouts of shouting and sign
burning.

Malan said most of the Trump supporters left soon after the
violence started.

“It got pretty heated. There were a few brawls,” he said. “When
we went for the march we were followed. A lot of people were
attacked.”

Malan said Trump wasn’t his first choice for president but that
he appreciated some of those around him, like Vice President
Mike Pence.

“At this point in time, we agree with the stance Trump has made
on a few important issues,” he said.

Demonstrators on each side carried signs that either decried or
proclaimed support for Trump. The lighthearted tune of an ice
cream truck played from a megaphone even as the fights broke out.

The rally quickly devolved into a melee of shouting, shoving and
punching. People tossed blue and white smoke bombs, scorching
the grass, and a woman fired pepper spray into the crowd.

Protesters had planned to go from the park to the UC Berkeley
campus, but because of the troubles only marched in a loop from
the park to Shattuck Avenue and back. Shocked residents who had
been enjoying their sunny Saturday afternoon stared blankly at
the display.

Other people held up signs reading, “What’s your ZIP code?” and
“I am a local.”

Nancy Chase, who is retired and a Trump supporter, held a sign
reading “Grandmothers for Trump.”

“I am here to show support in a positive way,” she said. “I’m
not looking for violence. These people just want to fight. They
are anarchists in black, and it’s not what we are about. I just
want to stand up for liberty.”

By 5:30 p.m. the rally had wound down as people wandered away
from the park. Berkeley police arrested 10 people during the
event, said city spokesman Matthai Chakko.

While there were complaints that police did not act quickly to
break up the fistfights and other attacks, city officials said
there were concerns that if police became involved too quickly,
the violence could have escalated.

“The goal was to work quickly to identify and arrest anyone
specifically involved in criminal activity,” Chakko said. “We
also made an attempt to intercede during acts of violence.”

Officers arrested five people on suspicion of battery and four
on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon, Chakko said.

One of those nine was arrested on suspicion of possessing an
illegal dagger, which he did not use.

Officers also confiscated metal pipes, bats, two-by-four pieces
of wood and bricks. Members of the group that brought the bricks
were detained but not arrested, Chakko said.

Kat Mclain, 25, of San Francisco was walking the perimeter of
the protest at around 4:30 p.m. She said she came to the event
because she wanted to talk with the pro-Trump demonstrators but
was disappointed as the afternoon devolved into violence.

“I wanted to hear about why people are supporting him,” she
said. “I thought it would be fun and interesting. It’s sad what
it became.”

Lizzie Johnson and Jenna Lyons are San Francisco Chronicle staff
writers. Email: ljoh...@sfchronicle.com, jly...@sfchronicle.com
Twitter: @lizziejohnsonnn, @JennaJourno

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Scattered-fist-fights-
break-out-at-pro-Trump-10977508.php