Today in Scientology -- August 21st *******************

Scientology Today

Aug 21, 2015, 11:43:23 AM8/21/15
Today August 21st in Scientology history

Fla. Lawyer to Pay Church of Scientology
August 21, 2003, Associated Press
http://www.apnewsarchive.com/2003/Fla-Lawyer-to-Pay-Church-of-Scientology/id-350b64bd40454805a7349abcc4f8233d

CLEARWATER, Fla. (AP) _ A jury Wednesday ordered a lawyer to pay $4,500
to the Church of Scientology for tactics during a wrongful death
lawsuit that allegedly led to a wave of bad publicity.

Church of Scientology attorney Samuel Rosen told jurors lawyer Ken
Dandar launched "a frontal attack on an entire religion" as opposing
counsel in the lawsuit filed over the death of Scientologist Lisa
McPherson.

He had asked the jury to award millions in damages to the church, but
the jury ordered Dandar only to reimburse the church its legal costs.

Tags: 1995, David Miscavige, Ken Dandar, Lisa McPherson, Quicky, Samuel Rosen

Scientology wanted millions, gets $4,500
August 21, 2003, Robert Farley, St. Petersburg Times
http://www.sptimes.com/2003/08/21/Tampabay/Scientology_wanted_mi.shtml

CLEARWATER - A tiny smile creased Ken Dandar's face as a clerk read the
first count of the jury verdict.

Compensatory damages he owed the Church of Scientology: $4,500.

Dandar knew then he had won.

The grin widened and Dandar began to playfully pat his attorney, Luke
Lirot, as the clerk read through the rest of the counts.

The amount he was obligated to pay the church in punitive damages: zero.

Tags: Ben Shaw, David Miscavige, Dell Liebreich, Judge Douglas Baird, Ken
Dandar, Lisa McPherson, Luke Lirot, Samuel Rosen

Scott Campbell and the Ring of Fire
August 21, 2010, Marty Rathbun, Moving On Up a Little Higher
https://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2010/08/21/scott-campbell-and-the-ring-of-fire/

I mentioned recently that I don't believe any of us will truly make it
until we travel through the valley of the shadow of death alone. Scott
is one of those special individuals who has done so and has greatly
enhanced my life by sharing his experience with me. Please read his
words carefully and contemplate them. In my opinion they are worthy of
our thoughts.

Scott during his early days in the Sea Org

"Death, insanity, aberration, or merely a slavish obedience can be
efficiently effected by the use of Black Dianetics." - LRH

Tags: 1984, 1985, 1994, David Miscavige, Dianetics, Ethics file, Fire,
Freewinds, L. Ron Hubbard, PC folders, Quicky, Sea Org

Public Safety Announcement
August 21, 2011, Marty Rathbun, Moving On Up a Little Higher
https://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2011/08/21/public-safety-announcement/

This is a public safety announcement primarily directed at the person
micro-managing the South Texas Siege (now it its 120th day), the self
annointed Chairman of the Board of Religious Technology Center, self
proclaimed "ecclesiastical leader of Scientology" David Miscavige.

Your hired thug Ralph S Gomez almost ran over my dog Chiquita for the
second time today.

You are hereby put on notice (since we know from reliable sources you
read this blog multiple times per day, this is the most effective form
of notice possible) that by the law of averages, your continued
abberant behavior in our humble town of 651 good souls is putting lives
at risk.

Tags: Chairman of the Board, David Miscavige, Joanne Wheaton, Los Angeles,
Quicky, Religious Technology Center, Texas

Scientology Surf Report: Making Waves at the New York 'Org'
August 21, 2011, Tony Ortega, Runnin' Scared, Village Voice
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/08/scientology_sur.php

We shot a few angles of yesterday's Anonymous protest outside the 46th
Street Church of Scientology building. We have to hand it to these
Anons for their creativity: the beach scene they created stopped quite
a few tourists in their tracks -- and they were promptly handed leis
that carried anti-Scientology messages.

The Scientologists, for their part, were also clever. Either by design
or by accident a large delivery truck pulled in front of the building
and shielded its entrance from the protest for about a half hour. And
employees came and went without paying much attention to the shouting.

Tags: 2008, Anonymous, Boston, Gregg Housh, New York City, Ohio

Add Child Endangerment to the List of Miscavige Crimes
August 21, 2012, Marty Rathbun, Moving On Up a Little Higher
https://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2012/08/20/add-child-endangerment-to-the-list-of-miscavige-crimes/

Ben Herndon (contracting out of Prowler Investigations) of Corpus
Christi (5910 Alameda Stree to be precise) is David Miscavige's latest
South Texas thug for hire. After much international publicity through
2011 and into 2012 concerning Miscavige's Scientology Inc. thuggery at
my home, no Scientology operatives dared rear their ugly heads in our
vicinity. Miscavige continued to spend tens of thousands each month for
an elaborate surveillance system to identify who came and went. But,
they have taken extraordinary measures to be quiet and unseen.

Well, apparently my latest post, Introduction to Training Routines 0-9,
struck a nerve. It is one thing I guess to expose Miscavige's crimes,
and quite another to attempt to put L. Ron Hubbard into a context in
which he might be better appreciated by a wider number of people.

This charming fellow sat across the street in his blacked out vehicle
filming my home this afternoon:

Tags: 2011, Ben Herndon, Corpus Christi, David Miscavige, Prowler
Investigations, Quicky, San Patricio County, Texas, Training Routines

Former Narconon Arrowhead President Speaks About Center's Operations
August 21, 2012, Marisa Mendelson, KOKH
http://sbg.okcfox.com/newsroom/special_reports/videos/vid_331.shtml

Catton says recruiters operate referral websites and those recruiters
are paid 10% of the $30,000 tuition fee if someone signs up. He says
recruiters are not always honest about the facility's ties to
Scientology.

"It really depends on the integrity of the person answering and working
the referral process," said Catton. "But I don't doubt that for a
second that people may have outright lied to them or misled them
completely."

Tags: Colin Henderson, Gary Smith, Lucas Catton, Narconon Arrowhead, Oklahoma
Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services, Pittsburg County

Oklahoma State Senator on Scientology's Drug Rehab Center: "If This Were a
State Facility, It Would Already Be Shut Down"
August 21, 2012, Tony Ortega, Runnin' Scared, Village Voice
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2012/08/scientology_tom_ivester.php

Yesterday, we talked to State Senator Tom Ivester, a Democrat from the
western part of Oklahoma. For months, he says, he's been concerned
about what goes on at Narconon Arrowhead.

As early as January, he had received complaints from a state resident
that the place was a "ripoff" and was delivering strange treatments,
but when Stacy Murphy, 20, died at the center on July 19, Ivester said
he was motivated to act.

Tags: 1968, 1980, 2006, 2009, BBC, Biggi Reichert, Bob Lobsinger, Clearwater,
Cuba, Facebook, Florida, Germany, Jose Canseco, Marisa Mendelson, Markus
Th??, Narconon, Narconon Arrowhead, Office of Special Affairs, Oklahoma,
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse
Services, Operating Thetan, Stacy Murphy, Tom Ivester

Questions from Narconon-related deaths demand answers
August 21, 2012, Editorial, Tulsa World
http://www.tulsaworld.com/opinion/article.aspx?subjectid=61&articleid=20120821_61_A13_Nodrug850116

No drug and alcohol rehabilitation center is perfect. Meeting the needs
of clients who come to facilities with a whole lot of baggage,
including addiction and other behavioral and emotional issues, is a
difficult job requiring close observation by a well-trained staff.

That said, three client deaths in the past year at the Narconon
Arrowhead rehab facility on Lake Eufaula demand answers. Why and how
did these three people die? Could more have been done to prevent their
deaths?

Tags: Gabriel Graves, Narconon, Narconon Arrowhead, Oklahoma Department of
Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services

David Miscavige's niece says Church of Scientology tried to recruit Brad Pitt
and Bono
August 21, 2013, Joshua Gillin, Tampa Bay Times
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/juice/david-miscaviges-niece-says-church-of-scientology-tried-to-recruit-brad/2137627#

"If you're egocentric, not always confident or insecure because of
being in public eye and want to be charitable, Scientology pushes your
buttons. That's why someone like Bono would fit the bill perfectly as
so many people know him," she said. "I know he was receiving
Scientology auditing and was at one of the Celebrity Centre Galas. Why
would he need auditing?"

Tags: Bono, Brad Pitt, Celebrity Centre, Jenna Miscavige Hill, Juliette Lewis

Monique Rathbun
August 21, 2013, Marty Rathbun, Moving On Up a Little Higher
https://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2013/08/21/monique-rathbun/

News about Monique

Tags: Monique Rathbun, Quicky

MONIQUE RATHBUN FILES SUIT AGAINST SCIENTOLOGY OVER HARASSMENT
August 21, 2013, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
http://tonyortega.org/2013/08/21/monique-rathbun-files-suit-against-scientology-over-harassment/

Monique Rathbun has filed a multi-million dollar lawsuit against the
Church of Scientology's controlling entities and its leader David
Miscavige for years of harassment she alleges have caused her serious
harm since her husband, Mark "Marty" Rathbun, went public in 2009 with
information about his life as a top executive in the church.

On Friday, the Comal County, Texas district court granted Monique a
temporary restraining order, calling on Scientology to stop following
her and electronically surveilling her. A hearing is scheduled for
Tuesday whether to convert the restraining order into a temporary
injunction, but Monique's attorney, Ray Jeffrey, tells us he thinks the
matter will likely be delayed about two weeks.

After four years of intense harassment, Monique is battling back,
Jeffrey tells us, and they expect this to be a brutal fight.

Tags: 2004, 2009, 2010, 2012, Church of Scientology International, Comal
County, Corpus Christi, Dallas, David Miscavige, Debbie Cook, Greg Arnold,
Ingleside, Marty Rathbun, Monique Rathbun, Monty Drake, Paul Marrick, Quicky,
Ray Jeffrey, Religious Technology Center, San Antonio, Steven Gregory Sloat,
Texas

Monique Rathbun Sues David Miscavige
August 21, 2013, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/monique-rathbun-sues-david-miscavige/

If you have not seen it already, read Tony Ortega's story, including a
copy of the complaint and Monique's affidavit, here.

Tags: David Miscavige, Monique Rathbun, Quicky, Tony Ortega

Per Wickstrom Denied Expansion of Drug Rehab, Sues Michigan Town
August 21, 2013, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
http://tonyortega.org/2013/08/21/per-wickstrom-denied-expansion-of-drug-rehab-sues-michigan-town/

We told you recently about Per Wickstrom, who owns a number of drug
rehab centers in Michigan. Per's businesses have been associated with
Scientology's drug rehab network, Narconon. But we've noticed that in
recent years, he's been getting away from the Narconon brand - and can
you blame him? With Narconon mired in controversies and investigations
and lawsuits in places like Oklahoma and Georgia - and attracting
national media attention - word is getting out about the network's
shortcomings.

In Battle Creek, Michigan, Per owned a facility called Narconon Stone
Hawk, but in 2008 he re-christened the place "A Forever Recovery," and
not only dropped the Narconon name, he's doing his best to make it look
like he's severed ties with Scientology altogether. At its website, A
Forever Recovery says it offers Christian-based, Native American-based,
and "holistic" approaches to addiction and calls them "evidence-based,
comprehensive, and personalized."

Hey, that ought to appeal to everyone, right? Well, apparently the
locals aren't impressed, and have stopped every attempt by Wickstrom to
expand the place. So Per's suing!

Tags: 2008, 2012, A Forever Recovery, Anne Archer, Australia, Battle Creek,
Brandon Ogborn, Bryan Seymour, Christian, Colorado, Florida, Georgia,
Hernando County, Kurt Feshbach, Lawsuit, Michael Doven, Michigan, Narconon,
Narconon Stone Hawk, Oklahoma, Per Wickstrom, Quicky, Roger Friedman, Terry
Jastrow, Tom Cruise, TomKat Project

Super Power -- It's Official "Sometime in September"
August 21, 2013, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/super-power-its-official-sometime-in-september/

In typical Keystone Kops fashion, the world is informed of the planned
dates for the "Grand Opening" of "The Mecca Building" and release of
Super Power and GAG II and the Mark VIII meter and, and, and... in
early October.

BUT, the Chief Super Power Reg sent an email 3 days ago TO GET PEOPLE
TO COME TO THE EVENT and she is STILL NOT GIVING A DATE!

In fact, she is telling people to come in September and that the Grand
Opening and IAS event will be in September and October. And this is an
email telling people to get visas and make their travel and
accommodations reservations.

Tags: Cornerstone, Flag Building, International Association of
Scientologists, Lauri Webster, OT, Quicky, Super Power, Visa

Jon Atack: The games L. Ron Hubbard played
August 21, 2014, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
http://tonyortega.org/2014/08/21/jon-atack-the-games-l-ron-hubbard-played/

Jon Atack is the author of A Piece of Blue Sky, one of the very best
books on L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology. He has a new edition of the
book for sale, and for more than a year on Saturdays he helped us sift
through the legends, myths, and contested facts about Scientology that
tend to get hashed and rehashed in books, articles, and especially on
the Internet. He was kind enough to send us a new post.

Jon, we're tickled that your column this time was prompted by a
response one of our readers made to a previous piece. We really do have
a great commenting community here. So please take us on another
exploration of Scientology lore...

JON: Some months ago, an astute reader pointed to some of Hubbard's
comments about games. I copied the note, but not the reader's name, so
I apologize for that, because credit is due for pointing out one of the
most important Hubbard admissions, in the welter of chatter,
contradiction, and misdirection that constitutes the work of Our
Founder. I had to hunt out the specific lecture, which deals with the
"caste system of games." It is Philadelphia Doctorate Course lecture 39.
The astute reader had this to say: "It contains some priceless insight
into how Ron viewed other people, structured his organizations, and
generally ran Scientology." And he (or she) was so right.

Tags: 1952, 1953, 1993, A Piece of Blue Sky, Aleister Crowley, Camden,
Camilla Andersson, Christian, Clear, David Miscavige, DC, Dianetics,
Facebook, Guardian's Office, IRS, Jon Atack, Kansas, Marty Rathbun, Mary
Baker Eddy, Mary Sue Hubbard, Never Believe a Hypnotist, New Jersey, New
York, OT, Philadelphia Doctorate Course, Potential Trouble Source, Quicky,
Rehabilitation Project Force, Rod Keller, Science of Survival, Sea Org,
Squirrel, The Master

Thursday Funnies
August 21, 2014, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/thursday-funnies-3/

Just to kick things off - here is a recent Facebook posting about the
newly formed Clearwater Postulate Guild (I kid you not):

I really think these people need to touch bases with reality. But they
had better be careful what they are "postulating" for as a Clearwater
government that was "uptone" (ie not in fear) and made sane decisions
vis a vis the church may not be to the liking of the "OT's" and their
Postulate Guild.

Before they start clearing anything down under, maybe they should start
by clearing their MUs? Or at least getting an ideal spell checker. They
didn't even make it through the second line. Wonder how the kiwis feel
about the name of their country being wrong?

Tags: Clearwater, Command Intention, David Miscavige, Facebook, Freewinds,
Greg Capazorio, International Association of Scientologists, Jedi, Mission,
New Haven, OT, Quicky, South Africa, Thursday Funnies

Regraded Being
August 21, 2015, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/friday-regraded-being-12/

Tags: Quicky, Regraded Being

VIDEO: Scientology rehab salesmen - Just exactly the humanitarians you
imagined
August 21, 2015, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
http://tonyortega.org/2015/08/21/video-scientology-rehab-salesmen-just-exactly-the-humanitarians-you-imagined/

After our story on Tuesday about the death of Amber Bullins at one of
Per Wickstrom's rehab facilities in Michigan, we received numerous tips
from readers about the Narconon-style network Wickstrom runs. (Some of
Wickstrom's businesses are licensed by Scientology's Narconon network,
others just make use of Narconon materials.)

The most interesting thing we received was a video that our tipster
tells us was made in 2012. It features some employees for an outfit
called Life Solutions, in Battle Creek. Part of the Wickstrom empire,
it's a referral outfit that takes inquiries from members of the public
who are desperately trying to find a rehab center for a loved one.

Two years ago, we showed you the kind of scripts that such boiler-room
operations use to direct people to Narconon centers. They convince
distraught parents or prospective patients that Narconon is their only
solution. Such recruiters are also known to keep quiet that Narconon
centers don't actually deliver drug counseling but instead put patients
through Scientology training. Their job is to push people to Narconon,
and they typically get paid a ten percent commission on the price of
rehab, which is around $30,000.

Tags: 2012, Amber Bullins, Battle Creek, Detox, Life Solutions, Michigan,
Narconon, Per Wickstrom, Quicky, Ryan Hamilton, Tranquility Detox

Today in Scientlology web page:
http://umbraxenu.no-ip.biz/today.html
August 21 in Scientlology web page:
http://umbraxenu.no-ip.biz/days/08-21.html