Today in Scientology -- August 20th *****************************

Scientology Today

Aug 21, 2017, 1:04:34 AM8/21/17
Today August 20th in Scientology history

Board Ran Up Huge Legal Bills Before Giving Narconon Exemption
August 20, 1992, Wayne Greene, Tulsa World
http://www.tulsaworld.com/archives/board-ran-up-huge-legal-bills-before-giving-narconon-exemption/article_e7706350-c9a5-5ee3-80cf-a604c7d0a595.html

The state mental health board has piledup legal bills of$177,295 to
fight the certification of a controversial drug-treatment center - to
which it granted a certification exemption last week.

The board has already paid $167,650 to the Oklahoma City law firm Ryan,
Corbyn and Geister, said state mental health department spokeswoman
Sarah Dunn.

The department is still processing bills for June and July and is to
receive one for August, she said.

Tags: Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities, Guy Hurst,
Narconon, Narconon Chilocco, Oklahoma, Oklahoma Department of Mental Health
and Substance Abuse Services, Patrick Ryan, Rob Cole, Sarah Dunn

Narconon legal battle costly to state
August 20, 1992, Tulsa World
http://www.tulsaworld.com/archives/narconon-legal-battle-costly-to-state/article_b59a4574-38e0-55cd-b10c-2d23c36fcf26.html

Legal battles with the Narco- non drug center cost the state Mental
Health Board at least $177,295 and the state attorney general's office
untold hours of work, state officials say.

The board apparently ended the battles last week when it granted the
center an exemption from state certification.

The board already has paid $167,650 to the Oklahoma City law firm Ryan,
Corbyn & Geister, state Mental Health Department spokesman Sarah Dunn
said.

The department is processing bills for June and July and waiting for
one for August, Dunn said.

Tags: Gerald Adams, Narconon, Narconon Chilocco, Oklahoma Board of Mental
Health and Substance Abuse Services, Oklahoma Department of Mental Health and
Substance Abuse Services, Sarah Dunn

Scientology continues to buy land
August 20, 1998, Thomas C. Tobin, St. Petersburg Times
http://www.sptimes.com/NorthPinellas/82098/Scientology_continues.html

The church plans to construct a 300,000-square-foot counseling and
office building across from its landmark Fort Harrison Hotel. It also
plans a parking garage, a 3,500-seat auditorium, a major renovation of
the Fort Harrison and a three-story addition to the Sandcastle, a
Scientology resort and counseling complex on Drew Street overlooking
Clearwater Harbor.

Tags: 1993, 1997, Clearwater, Flag Building, Fort Harrison, Osceola Inn, Pat
Jones, Ray Cassano, Real estate, Sandcastle, Super Power, Tony Markopoulos

Scientology seeks millions as punishment
August 20, 2003, Robert Farley, St. Petersburg Times
http://www.sptimes.com/2003/08/20/Tampabay/Scientology_seeks_mil.shtml

On Tuesday, Rosen implored those jurors to award heavy punitive damages
against the lone lawyer who for six years has waged a now-legendary
legal battle that has caused nightmares for the church.

The battle stems from the wrongful death lawsuit Dandar filed on behalf
of the estate of Lisa McPherson, a Scientologist who died in 1995 after
17 days of care at the church's spiritual headquarters in downtown
Clearwater.

The case now before the jury is an outgrowth of that lawsuit.

Church officials cried foul when, more than two years into the wrongful
death case, Dandar sought to add as defendants several top church
officials, including the church's worldwide leader, David Miscavige.

Tags: 1995, Clearwater, David Miscavige, Judge Douglas Baird, Ken Dandar,
Lisa McPherson, Luke Lirot, Pinellas County, Robert Minton, Samuel Rosen,
Tampa

Interview: John Sweeney
August 20, 2007, James Silver, Special reports, The Guardian
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2007/aug/20/mondaymediasection.bbc1

Nursing a pint of cider in a defiantly non-gastro north London pub,
Sweeney, 49, attempts to make sense of his "Mr Shouty" moment. "It was
like an animal cry of rage," he says, before going on to claim that he
felt like the victim of a "psychological attack" by the Scientologists.
"Their midnight presence at our hotel, the weird creeps who followed us
around on the streets of LA and Davis in my face all the time had got
to me."

Tags: John Sweeney, Shawn Lonsdale, Tommy Davis

The Cult That Spawned the Tough-Love Teen Industry
August 20, 2007, Maia Szalavitz, Mother Jones
http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/2007/09/how_a_cult_spawned_the_tough_love_teen_industry.html

No fewer than 50 programs (though not the Rotenberg Center) can trace
their treatment philosophy, directly or indirectly, to an antidrug cult
called Synanon. Founded in 1958, Synanon sold itself as a cure for
hardcore heroin addicts who could help each other by "breaking" new
initiates with isolation, humiliation, hard labor, and sleep deprivation.

Today, troubled-teen programs use Synanon-like tactics, advertising
themselves to parents as solutions for everything from poor study
habits to substance misuse. However, there is little evidence that
harsh behavior-modification techniques can solve these problems.
Studies found that Synanon's "encounter groups" could produce lasting
psychological harm and that only 10 to 15 percent of the addicts who
participated in them recovered. And as the classic 1971 Stanford prison
experiment demonstrated, creating situations in which the severe
treatment of powerless people is rewarded inevitably yields abuse. This
is especially true when punishment is viewed as a healing process.
Synanon was discredited in the late 1970s and 1980s as its violent
record was exposed. (The group is now remembered for an incident in
which a member placed a live rattlesnake-rattle removed-in the mailbox
of a lawyer who'd successfully sued it.) Yet by the time Synanon shut
down in 1991, its model had already been widely copied.

Tags: 1958, 1970, 1971, 1974, 1980, 1991, 1993, 2000, Academic, Colorado,
Congress, Cult, Dominican Republic, Drug Free America, Florida, Mel Sembler,
Mitt Romney, North Korea, Rattlesnake, Sleep deprivation, Staph infection,
Synanon

JB adds to the list of lies from the bunker
August 20, 2010, Marty Rathbun, Moving On Up a Little Higher
https://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2010/08/20/jb-adds-to-the-list-of-lies-from-the-bunker/

by JB

One of the items of "evidence" collected is "Apple I-Phone, #G, Model
16 GIG, Serial #82011479A3NP with charger and headphones." However, I
took my iPhone with me when I blew and absolutely did not leave it
behind. What does this mean? Are they saying they have my iPhone? Did
they load it with some "manufactured evidence"?

It is described in more than one place that the "RTC Administration
Building" is a locked building. Sorry, not true. I was the RTC Estates
Manager and I would have known if the building was ever kept locked.
Never. Maybe now, but never while I was there.

Tags: 2011, Apple, Quicky, Religious Technology Center, Warren McShane

New Haven forecloses on Church of Scientology property
August 20, 2011, Mary E. O'Leary, New Haven Register
http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2011/08/21/news/new_haven/doc4e506d425bf38265835665.txt?viewmode=fullstory

The Church of Scientology on Whalley Avenue pulled building permits to
convert a former furniture store to a church in 2004, but lacking any
progress, it lost its tax-exempt status and now is fighting a
foreclosure action by the city that is trying to recoup taxes it says
it is owed.

Tags: Adam Joseph, Andy Rizzo, Carol Yingling, Connecticut, David Ambrose,
New Haven, Nicholas Mingione, William O'Brien

Scientology Deluge: Commenters of the Week!
August 20, 2011, Tony Ortega, Runnin' Scared, Village Voice
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/08/scientology_del.php

While rain falls in south Texas, things were dry and cozy this week in
the underground bunker where we keep an eye on all things Scientology.

We started out another eventful week with a look at church attorney
Kendrick Moxon, who came in at #21 in our countdown of The Top 25
People Crippling Scientology.

On Tuesday, we looked at Ed Bryan, and how he's using his OT VIII
powers as the ultimate example of superhuman Scientology power!

Tags: 2005, Anonymous, Australia, David Miscavige, Ed Bryan, Fair Game,
Google, Graham Berry, Hartley Patterson, Isaac Hayes, Janet Reitman, Kendrick
Moxon, Mark Miglio, Marty Rathbun, Matt Stone, Mike Rinder, New York City, OT
VIII, Quicky, Scott Pilutik, South Park, Squirrel Busters, Texas, Trapped in
the Closet, Trey Parker

Lucas Catton Slams Narconon Fox News 25
August 20, 2012, Intelligenceplus, YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wV-S-rohzU

Former President of Narconon Arrowhead, Lucas Catton, is speaking out
about why he thinks the facility is more affiliated with Scientology
than it claims. Gary Smith said in a statement to Fox 25: "Narconon has
always acknowledged that our organization receives support from the
Church of Scientology." There have been four deaths at Narconon
Arrowhead - three within the past nine months. Senator Tom Ivester said
he will author legislation aimed at regulating questionable practices
of a drug treatment program with close ties to the Church of
Scientology. The lawmaker said a quick legal search revealed no less
than 15 lawsuits against the facility on Lake Eufaula, Narconon
Arrowhead. Where there's smoke, there's usually fire, he said.
MARISA MENDELSON
INVESTIGATIVE REPORTER

Tags: Fox News, Gary Smith, Lucas Catton, Narconon, Narconon Arrowhead,
Oklahoma, Tom Ivester

Scientology's Grip on the Mind: An Ex-Sea Org Member Explains It For Us
August 20, 2012, Tony Ortega, Runnin' Scared, Village Voice
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2012/08/scientology_melissa_paris_cadet_org.php

Tags: 1968, 1996, 2007, Abortion, BBC, Cadet Org, David Miscavige, East
Grinstead, England, Estates Project Force, Facebook, Los Angeles, Melissa
Paris, Paris, Rehabilitation Project Force, Saint Hill, Sea Org, Sec Check,
Suppressive Person, Switzerland, Texas, Tone Scale, UK, Valeska Paris, Zurich

State Lawmaker Criticizes Drug Treatment Center Near McAlester
August 20, 2012, News On 6
http://www.newson6.com/story/19318194/state-lawmaker-critical-of-drug-treatment-center-near-mcalester

Harsh words from one Oklahoma lawmaker for the controversial
Scientology-affiliated drug treatment center on Lake Eufaula.

State Senator Tom Ivester of Sayre calls Narconon Arrowhead in
Pittsburg County a "predatory business" and says it is a disgrace to
have it operating in Oklahoma.

Tags: Joel Kerns, Narconon Arrowhead, Oklahoma, Oklahoma Department of Mental
Health and Substance Abuse Services, Pittsburg County, Pittsburg County
Sheriff, Stacy Murphy, Tom Ivester

Mike Eldredge Letter to David Miscavige & Co.
August 20, 2013, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/mike-eldredge-letter-to-david-miscavige-co/

I have known Mike Eldredge since December 1975 when he and his wife
Penny were the first two new recruits to arrive at Flag in Clearwater.
At the time the location was still confidential and they had not been
told where they were going until they were given tickets at the airport.
They were excited to be at Flag, but a little disappointed as they had
only come from Miami! Mike went on to become a cramming officer,
auditor and C/S who worked on many projects directly for LRH. I did a
few Missions with him at various times. This write up only touches upon
his history and experience. Perhaps he will decide to write more in the
future.

He recently sent this letter to David Miscavige and others.

It is good to have another very knowledgable person contributing to the
effort to end the abuses in the RCS.

Tags: 1974, 1975, Author Services Inc, Church of Spiritual Technology,
Clearwater, David Miscavige, DC, Ethics, Greg Wilhere, Hubbard Communication
Office Bulletin, L. Ron Hubbard, Lyman Spurlock, Marc Yager, Marion Pouw,
Mark Ingber, Miami, Mike Eldredge, Mission, Norman Starkey, OT, OT VII, OT X,
Quicky, Ray Mithoff, Religious Technology Center, Sea Org, SEC, Shelly
Miscavige, Super Power, Terri Gamboa

Scientology Makes the Grade: Touching Walls to Total Freedom
August 20, 2013, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
http://tonyortega.org/2013/08/20/scientology-makes-the-grade-touching-walls-to-total-freedom/

Claire Headley is taking us on our journey to train as Scientologists.
She and her husband Marc were Sea Org workers who escaped from
Scientology's International Base in 2005. She spent years working with
Scientology's "tech," and was trusted to oversee the auditing of Tom
Cruise. Go here to see the first part in this series.

We're continuing to learn what Scientologists actually do as they pay
hundreds of dollars an hour to move up the "Bridge to Total Freedom."
This week, Claire tells us about Expanded Grade 1. What's this level
all about, Claire?

CLAIRE: We've covered "objective processes" before and how they are
targeted to deal with "Control, Communication, and Havingness" (CCH).
This level specifically deals with addressing the issues most people
have with help, control, and problems.

Tags: 2005, Advance!, Bridge to Total Freedom, Claire Headley, David
Miscavige, Florida, Int Base, Operating Thetan, OT, Quicky, Sea Org, Tom
Cruise

Flag and Tampa OTC Minutes
August 20, 2014, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/flag-and-tampa-otc-minutes/

The leak plugging efforts just don't seem to be working. They even have
a full time person in OSA Flag assigned to get to the bottom of this
situation. But the OTC Minutes just keep rolling in. And though they
have taken out a lot of embarrassing statistical specifics, they still
have what should be embarrassing details (I think most of these people
are oblivious to how ridiculous they are). Part of the problem is that
they can turn ANYTHING into good news and "huge impact" so they THINK
they are relaying good news. The delusion is a sight to behold. They
remind me of the proverbial fleas climbing up the elephant's leg with
rape on their minds.

Let's begin with the mighty powerhouses at Flag. The biggest and
baddest OT Committee in this sector of the universe.

Two completions is pretty impressive, including a Purif for the OTs.
Remember when they had the "game" of 100% of the OTC on service and
they were touting that virtually everyone was on service? Hmmm, doesn't
quite add up to two completions. But then again, there has been no
mention of that game for some time, so as with everything else in
scientology, when the pressure eases off things revert to their usual
dead state. Oh, and one person was helped with an ethics condition.
Woohoo.

Tags: 2012, 2015, Aja Anderson, Ami Amolgy, Atlanta, Birthday Game, Brett
Miller, Central Files, Chairman of the Board, Class V, Clear, Clearwater,
Daniel Corrado, David Miscavige, DC, Debbie Phelps, Deborah Otto, Field Staff
Member, Flag Events Unit, Flag Mecca, Foundation for a Drug-Free World,
France, Harrison Thomas, Ideal Org, Ingrid Collewijn, International
Association of Scientologists, Jim Thompson, Kafir Barram, Katrina Osborne,
Kaye Champagne, Kevin Adderley, L. Ron Hubbard, Louise Cournoyer, LRH Hall,
Lynette Barry, Marlin Anderson, Miami, Mike Cardin, Natalie Mannechia, Ocala,
Office of Special Affairs, Orlando, OT, OT Committee, OT VIII, OTC, Peak
Academy, Plant City, Police, Purif, Quicky, Rene Gomez, Rich Byrd, Running
Program, Saint Hill, Sea Org, Susan Burke, Susan Hawley, Tampa, The Way to
Happiness, USA, Violence, Vivian Heyward, Washburn Academy, Washington, WISE,
Ybor City, Yvonne Guevara

'Hello, hello' gardener Chris Lucas shuts down over unpaid taxes
August 20, 2014, Ashley Argoon, Herald Sun
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/hello-hello-gardener-chris-lucas-shuts-down-over-unpaid-taxes/story-fni0fit3-1227029786721

A TUTU-wearing gardener has been forced to shut up shop over $200,000
in unpaid taxes.

Chris Lucas, famous for his pervasive "Hello, hello" catchphrase, has
had to hang up his pink tutu and wand after Chris and Marie's Plant
Farms were put under control of court-appointed receivers.

Tags: Ascot Vale, Australia, Australian Taxation Office, Chris Lucas

Narconon's cancer spreads: New lawsuits and a court order for Scientology's
rehab network
August 20, 2014, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
http://tonyortega.org/2014/08/20/narconons-cancer-new-lawsuits-court-order-scientologys-rehab-network/

Today, we have even more bad news for Scientology's rehab network.
Three new breach of contract and fraud lawsuits, filed by an
Indianapolis law firm, are targeting a Narconon facility in Albion,
Michigan and seem obviously patterned after the 19 lawsuits that have
been filed against Narconon centers since January by Las Vegas attorney
Ryan Hamilton.

Legal experts had told us that other attorneys might get into the act
if Hamilton continued to have success with his lawsuits. And speaking
of Hamilton's success, today we have a court order in one of Hamilton's
suits which bodes ill for Narconon's prospects of having the suits
dismissed.

Narconon, it seems plain, is now in serious trouble.

Tags: ABLE, Albion, Brown v. Narconon, California, Candice Tyler, Colorado,
Darrell Lovett, David E. Miller, David Miller, David Miscavige, Delaware,
Geanacopulos v. Narconon, Indiana, Indianapolis, John Debay, Judge James
Mahan, L. Ron Hubbard, Larry Trahant, Las Vegas, Legal, Michigan, Narconon,
Narconon Arrowhead, Narconon Freedom Center, Narconon Fresh Start, Narconon
Georgia, Narconon International, Nevada, Niacin, Nord-Shafer v. Narconon,
Oklahoma, Oklahoma Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services,
Rebecca Kennedy, Ryan Hamilton, Saeed & Little, Samantha Nord-Shafer, San
Diego County, Success rate, Tyler v. Narconon, Warner Springs

Scientology ethics: Raising money from Ferguson and swiping J.K. Rowling's
image
August 20, 2014, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
http://tonyortega.org/2014/08/20/scientology-ethics-raising-money-from-ferguson-stealing-j-k-rowlings-image/

Scientologists call themselves "the most ethical people on the planet"
because, well, founder L. Ron Hubbard told them to say that, and Ron
had a great talent for saying things that were the complete opposite of
what they meant.

Anyway, it's always fun to keep in mind that Scientologists believe
they're more ethical than the rest of us when in fact they're so truthy
and fraudy. And that only seems to be picking up speed now that the
organization is getting increasingly desperate. Thanks to our great
tipsters, we have a couple of memorable examples to share with you.

First, we were tipped that Scientology's drug rehab in Egypt (there's a
Narconon in Egypt? We had no idea) put the advertisement you see above
on its Facebook page.

Tags: Barry Coziahr, Egypt, Facebook, Ferguson, Harry Potter, Journalist,
Missouri, Narconon, Quicky, St. Louis, The Way to Happiness

She Hoped That Scientology Would Give Her Superpowers | Deadly Devotion
August 20, 2014, Investigation Discovery, YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jizqkqui4iU

An aspiring artist and spiritual seeker, Elli Perkins, joins her local
Church of Scientology and believes she's finally found the path to
happiness. | For more Deadly Devotion, visit http://investigation.
discovery.com/tv...

Subscribe to Investigation Discovery! | http://www.youtube.
com/discoveryid

Watch full episodes! | https://play.google.com/store/tv/show... -

Tags: Amazon, Elli Perkins, Quicky, Trial

State Senator Speaks Out After Latest Narconon Lawsuit
August 20, 2014, Dana Hertneky, News 9
http://www.news9.com/story/26330942/state-senator-speaks-out-after-latest-narconon-lawsuit

The lawsuit says investigators on the case found the facility broke
numerous state laws and they wanted to shut it down. But leadership at
ODMHSAS "attempted to hide the findings" because they believe "the
Department did not want to get involved with litigation involving the
Church of Scientology."

"That would be extremely concerning and disappointing in light of the
legislation we passed giving them the authority to do something," said
Sen. Tom Ivester, (D) - Sayre.

Ivester was behind a new law that took effect in 2013 giving the
Department of Mental Health greater oversight into the facility.

"They would be able to go in for inspections unannounced, announced,"
he explained. "And if the allegations are true the Department of Mental
Health hasn't done it, they just haven't done it. We gave them the
authority and they haven't done it."

Tags: Jeffrey Dismukes, Kim Poff, Michael DeLong, Narconon, Narconon
Arrowhead, Oklahoma, Oklahoma Attorney General's Office, Oklahoma Department
of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services, Stacy's Law, Tom Ivester

(VIDEO) Is Knowledge Power? - How We All Get Fooled
August 20, 2015, Chris Shelton, Critical Thinker at Large
http://mncriticalthinking.com/2015/08/20/video-is-knowledge-power-how-we-all-get-fooled/

Today I'm going to talk about the power of knowledge, of knowing
things, and how those who can manipulate the information you have can
manipulate you in ways you wouldn't believe possible. We seem to live
now in an era where knowledge has never been so abundantly available
and yet it seems fewer and fewer people are taking advantage of that.
It's almost as if some people are choosing to remain ignorant. Is that
true? I don't really think so, but I do think people can appear to be
purposefully ignorant because of where they choose to get thier facts
from and how they are manipulated to believe they know everything they
need to.

Critical thinking and reason are not only built on a foundation of
knowledge but on the principle that a person needs to continually ask
questions and be able to look for more, so let's see how important this
really is.

Knowing Stuff is Important

Tags: 1950, 1956, Christian, Combatting Cult Mind Control, Congress, Critic,
Cult, Janja Lalich, Leon Festinger, Michael Langone, OT, Quicky, Russia,
Steven Hassan, Washington

Church of Scientology says item noting David Jolly's upcoming appearance was
'cheap shot'
August 20, 2015, Tampa Bay Times
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/the-buzz-florida-politics/church-of-scientology-says-item-noting-david-jollys-upcoming-appearance/2242128

The church of Scientology was none-too-pleased about the Buzz noting
that U.S. Rep. David Jolly planned to appear at the church's upcoming
concert to celebrate the city of Clearwater's centennial.

The item noted that Jolly, an Indian Shores Republican running for U.S.
Senate, is listed as a guest of honor at the Aug. 29 event titled
"Clearwater: A Century in Music." It will take place at the Fort
Harrison Hotel, one of the church's signature buildings in the city's
downtown. Jolly's spokesman said he is attending to present a
proclamation to Mayor George Cretekos to celebrate the city's 100th
birthday.

The post referenced the controversy that has swirled around the church
for years, most recently by HBO's release of Going Clear: Scientology
and the Prison of Belief. And the post noted that Jolly's wife Laura
will be appearing as a model in the church's annual charity fashion
show next month.

Tags: 2009, Alex Gibney, Appeal, Basel, Clearwater, Clearwater Bank Building,
Colombia, David Jolly, David Miscavige, Fort Harrison, Freedom magazine,
George Cretekos, Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief, HBO,
Japan, Joe Childs, Karin Pouw, Music, Neil Brown, Quicky, Sea Org,
Switzerland, Tokyo, Tom Tobin, US Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals

Scientology superstar: What it's like to be big in Taiwan
August 20, 2015, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
http://tonyortega.org/2015/08/20/scientology-superstar-what-its-like-to-be-big-in-taiwan/

David Pomeranz may not be a household name in America - even if he's a
well known figure inside Scientology - but over in Asia, he's
practically the second coming of L. Ron Hubbard or something.

We thought you'd enjoy these clips that turned up yesterday showing
Pomeranz belting out everyone's favorite Scientology ditty, "We Stand
Tall" (note the Freedom Medal), and then enjoying the adulation of some
of his Taiwanese fans.

Does David Miscavige understand what a rock star he'd be considered in
Taipei? Has he thought about moving Int Base over there?

Tags: Chris Shelton, David Miscavige, David Pomeranz, Eduardo Galan, Freedom
Medal, Int Base, Quicky, Taipei, Taiwan, We Stand Tall

Thursday Funnies
August 20, 2015, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/thursday-funnies-45/

We don't have toilet paper

But we DO have air conditioning.

So, come on down and let's make a deal...

Tags: Albuquerque, Aleena Gibson, Barbara Dews, Brett Miller, Bruno Bergeron,
Cambridge, Celebrity Centre, Chiu Hoi Chan, Clive Rabey, Columbus, Dallas,
Dan Boardman, Denver, Diana Bittner, Duncan Lorien, Emanuel Mottl, Field
Staff Member, Freewinds, Gavin Potter, Jenna Ringle, Joe Yazbeck, Kaye
Champagne, Las Vegas, Leann Meyer, Michael Roberts, Miguel Fuentes, Mike
Schuppan, Nancy Norman, OT, Pasadena, Purification Rundown, Quicky, Telex,
Thursday Funnies, Tony Rockliff, Warren Meyer, Zaiden Bonifacio

Atack: Why those who try to save Scientology from itself are doomed to failure
August 20, 2016, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
http://tonyortega.org/2016/08/20/why-those-who-try-to-save-scientology-from-itself-are-doomed-to-failure/

Jon Atack is the author of A Piece of Blue Sky, one of the very best
books on L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology. He has a new edition of the
book for sale, and for more than three years he's been helping us sift
through the legends, myths, and contested facts about Scientology that
tend to get hashed and rehashed in books, articles, and especially on
the Internet.

I left Scientology because I believed in Scientology. The "Church" was
clearly not following the strict policy laid down by Hubbard. It was
not about to "maintain friendly relations with the environment and the
public" as Hubbard's "First Policy" demanded. David Miscavige had
appeared unannounced, and without sanction from Hubbard, as far as we
could tell. He was an unknown who had somehow replaced Hubbard's chosen
heir, David Mayo.

The organization was "down-tone" ? somewhere around "blame." Policies
on justice had been flaunted with a list of over 600 people who had
been expelled without charge, let alone a committee of evidence. The
fundamental right to be faced with an accuser and allowed to speak in
one's own defense had been removed.

Tags: 1950, A Piece of Blue Sky, Advance!, Angela Harris, Australia,
Christian, Clear, Cyril Vosper, David Mayo, David Miscavige, Dianetics,
Hamburg, Independent, Jon Atack, Mental Health, Never Believe a Hypnotist,
OT, OT III, OT VIII, Purif, Purification Rundown, Quicky, Saint Hill, Science
of Survival, The Mind Benders, Tone Scale, Toronto

Scientology Non-Disconnection Policy
August 20, 2016, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/scientology-non-disconnection-policy/

Somewhat buried under the coverage of the demise of Gawker and its
greatest hits including publishing the infamous 2004 Freedom Medal of
Valor video of Mr. Cruise making an ass of himself" comes this from the
International Business Times (and apparently Us Magazine, though I
haven't bothered to check that).

It's a strange position to be in for scientology. They deny it's "not
them" keeping Tom away from Suri. Yet, if they are to be taken at at
their word, they are throwing Mr. Cruise (they don't want him referred
to any other way - just like Mr. Miscavige and NOT Captain Miscavige)
under the bus. He has apparently not denied the repeated stories that
he does not see Suri. That would be the obvious thing to do if it not
true. He used to file lawsuits over things like this and Bert Fields
letters flew to the media outlets. So, the only explanation left is
that he doesn't care about his daughter enough to visit with her? Wow.
Good going there footbullet kings....

Here is the statement scientology is reported to have made, defending
itself and trashing Mr. Cruise:

Tags: 2004, Alex Gibney, Apostate, Bert Fields, Bill Clinton, Buddhist,
Catholic, CNN, David Miscavige, Disconnection, Fair Game, Freedom Medal of
Valor, Gawker, Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief,
HBO, High Crime, International Business Times, Jesus Christ, Keep Scientology
Working, Lawrence Wright, New Yorker, OT, Paul Haggis, Quicky, Tommy Davis,
Westboro Baptist Church

Critical Q&A #122
August 20, 2017, Chris Shelton, Critical Thinker at Large
http://mncriticalthinking.com/2017/08/20/critical-qa-122/

The weekly show where I answer viewer questions based on what is left
for me in the comments section of my Q&A videos or sent to me by email
at AskChri...@gmail.com. This week, the questions I answer are:

(1) So Scientologists believe that they have lived millions of lives
before and done everything before, like be in a high management person
in the Sea Org even if they still are teenagers. How do they then
explain away why they have not cleared the planet a few million lives
ago then since everyone already knows everything? And how did Hubbard
explain away that he just now figured out how to save the world? I
mean, would he not be a pretty lousy thetan to be that late in the game?

(2) In the Catholic Church, canonisation does not create a saint but
only recognises officially that someone was a saint all along. In
Scientology, when someone is declared a Suppressive Person, is the
process similarly recognising officially that the person was an SP all
along? If so, Study Tech was invented by SPs (being in fact the
creation of two Scientologists who were subsequently declared). In like
manner, at least one of the upper OT levels was written by an SP, David
Mayo. Leaving aside how Hubbard could know that 2.5% of the population
at large are SPs, one has the impression with the blizzard of SP
declares among ex-Scientologists that the percentage of latent SPs in
the Church is far higher than 2.5%. Can we put a ballpark figure on
this actual percentage? If it is indeed much higher, how is this
explained inside the Church? Presumably not because the Church is
naturally attractive to criminals.

Tags: 1996, 2007, Basics, Catholic Church, Critic, Cult, David Mayo, David
Miscavige, Golden Age of Knowledge, Golden Age of Tech, Marty Rathbun,
Mission, OT, Quicky, Sea Org, Study Tech, Suppressive Person, Tony Ortega

How badly does Scientology need new staff? Miscavige is bringing back the
'Universe Corps'
August 20, 2017, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
http://tonyortega.org/2017/08/20/how-badly-does-scientology-need-new-staff-miscavige-is-bringing-back-the-universe-corps/

Rod Keller is all over a new development that Scientology is rolling
out in Australia...

The Universe Corps is coming to Melbourne, Australia. That's the news
intended to encourage Scientologists to join staff now. It's a big
carrot, particularly for those without the financial means to move up
the Scientology "Bridge." But as with many things in Scientology, the
reality has historically not always met the promise.

The Universe Corps! The name is either inspiring or reminiscent of the
more space opera aspects of Scientology, or both. Traditionally the
Corps sends a team of Sea Org members to a Class V org that has
achieved "Saint Hill Size." Org size is measured against the high
standard set by Saint Hill in East Grinstead, England in the 1960s when
people were joining Scientology staff in droves. But what was it,
exactly, that defined Saint Hill Size?

Tags: 1960, 1982, 1990, 2002, Advanced Org, Australia, Case Supervisor,
Celebrity Centre, Class V, Clear, Clearwater, David Miscavige, East
Grinstead, England, Flag Land Base, Florida, FOLO, FOLO Canada, Fort
Harrison, Ideal Org, Italy, L. Ron Hubbard, Los Angeles, Melbourne, Mike
Rinder, Nikki Rentsch, Operating Thetan, Orange County, OT, OT V, Quicky, Rod
Keller, Russia, Saint Hill, Scientology staff, Sea Org, Universe Corps, Well
Done Auditing Hours

Still Waiting for Scientology OTs to Change the World
August 20, 2017, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/still-waiting-for-scientology-ots-to-change-the-world/

All Scientology Operating Thetans-OTs-are handed the responsibility of
clearing their environments after returning home from Flag and the
Freewinds. They're expected to transform their local
communities-ideally, into some sort of Scientology-based utopia. If
that's too much, tidying up their neighborhoods and/or giving touch
assists to Uncle Dick is helpful. At the least, walking Rex more
regularly is good for their Fifth Dynamic.

Before the Golden Age of Tech, the Basics, and the "ideal" org program,
the big plan was for OT 7 and 8s to return home and supercharge their
communities. They would be so able after completing these levels that
their mere presence would cause major advances everywhere they set foot.
Witnessing these supermen and their feats, the public would flood the
local orgs and missions. Stats would skyrocket. In no time, local
environs would be operating on a whole new level of existence.

Pinky Swear

Tags: Asbestos, Ashtrays, Basics, Central Files, Clear, Clearwater, David
Miscavige, Field Staff Member, Freewinds, Golden Age of Tech, Hollywood, L.
Ron Hubbard, Operating Thetan, OT, OT 7, OT 8, OT 9, OT Committee, Terra
Cognita, The Local, TIME, Touch Assist, Volunteer Ministers

Today in Scientlology web page:
http://umbraxenu.no-ip.biz/today.html
August 20 in Scientlology web page:
http://umbraxenu.no-ip.biz/days/08-20.html