Today in Scientology -- October 18th ***********************

Scientology Today

Oct 18, 2016, 9:30:33 PM10/18/16
Today October 18th in Scientology history

High court to rule on flag burning Series: supreme court
October 18, 1988, Linda Greenhouse, St. Petersburg Times
http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes/access/51400510.html?dids=51400510:51400510&FMT=FT

In other action Monday, the court: Said it will hear a Reagan
administration appeal aimed at making it easier for the government to
conduct tax-fraud investigations. The court will use a California case
involving the Church of Scientology to settle a dispute over Internal
Revenue Service (IRS) powers.

The Church of Scientology and its various affiliates for years have
been embroiled in tax lawsuits across the country. In Clearwater, the
Church of Scientology Flag Service Organization, regarded as
Scientology's spiritual center, has filed lawsuits every year since
1982 challenging annual property tax bills.

Tags: California, Flag Service Organization, IRS, Pinellas County, Property
tax, Richard Hayworth, Ron Schultz, US Supreme Court

German Jewish Community Denounces Scientology Ads
October 18, 1996, Associated Press
http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1996/German-Jewish-Community-Denounces-Scientology-Ads/id-14be377c212cf4a5878d7fa2a3efdd01

FRANKFURT, GERMANY FRANKFURT, Germany (AP) _ Germany's top Jewish
leader said he was insulted Thursday by a Church of Scientology ad in
The New York Times that compared Germany's treatment of Scientologists
today to Nazi persecution of the Jews.

Ignatz Bubis, chairman of the nation's Central Council of Jews and a
prominent member of the centrist Free Democratic Party, said he
denounced the comparison "because it is false."

The ad, placed Thursday, features an imperial eagle and a swastika.
Bubis said it was "an insult to German politicians and especially
disparages remembrance of the suffering" of the Nazis' victims.

Tags: Germany, Helmut Kohl, Ignatz Bubis, New York Times, Quicky

Germany assails Scientology for comparing itself with Jews
October 18, 1996, Seattle Times
http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19961018&slug=2354847

Germany said today the U.S.-based Church of Scientology was insulting
millions of Jewish victims of the Holocaust by leveling "totally
absurd" charges that Bonn uses Nazi tactics against the church's
followers.

An anti-German Scientology advertisement in The New York Times
yesterday compared contemporary German attitudes toward the religious
organization with the Nazi persecution of the Jews.

Tags: Germany, Nazi labelling

Sweden agrees to keep secret Scientology manual from public
October 18, 1997, Jim Heintz, Associated Press
http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1997/Sweden-agrees-to-keep-secret-Scientology-manual-from-public/id-f3219da7e5b9ee74e7002746255dc9a6

STOCKHOLM, Sweden (AP) _ Under pressure from the United States, Sweden
has agreed to stop allowing public access to a Scientology publication
that the controversial church guards closely.

The decision comes in a case that placed Sweden's law on open public
records in conflict with international copyright regulations and
prompted complaints from U.S. Trade Representative Charlene Barshefsky
and Rep. Sonny Bono, R-Calif.

Goeran Schaeder, legal affairs chief at the Swedish Justice Department,
said Saturday that the decision was made "to protect our international
contacts."

Tags: 1954, 1993, Charlene Barshefsky, E-meter, Intellectual property rights,
Quicky, Sonny Bono, Sweden, Tarja Vulto, US Department of Justice, US Trade
Representative, World Trade Organization, Xenu, Zenon Panoussis

Sweden Bans Scientology Literature
October 18, 1997, Associated Press
http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1997/Sweden-Bans-Scientology-Literature/id-8c087f2600d8106f187a25978c05e5f7

STOCKHOLM, Sweden (AP) _ Under pressure from the United States, Sweden
has agreed to stop allowing public access to a Scientology publication
that the controversial church guards closely.

The decision comes in a case that placed Sweden's law on open public
records in conflict with international copyright regulations and
prompted complaints from U.S. Trade Representative Charlene Barshefsky
and Rep. Sonny Bono, R-Calif.

Goeran Schaeder, legal affairs chief at the Swedish Justice Department,
said Saturday that the decision was made "to protect our international
contacts."

Tags: 1954, 1993, Charlene Barshefsky, E-meter, Intellectual property rights,
Quicky, Sonny Bono, Sweden, Tarja Vulto, US Department of Justice, US Trade
Representative, World Trade Organization, Xenu, Zenon Panoussis

'Battlefield Earth' Sequel Conisdered
October 18, 2000, ABC News
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/story?id=114399&page=1

"The bottom line is that I feel really good about it. Here I was taking
big chances, breaking a new genre," said Travolta. "I am so thrilled,
believe it or not, at the outcome, because I didn't believe I could get
it done," an upbeat Travolta told journalists this week, adding that
critics have a history of disliking sci-fi movies. Asked whether there
would be a Battlefield 2, he said, "Sure. Yeah." Let's hope for an
alien intervention before the film's release.

When It Comes to Comedy, He's 'All In'
October 18, 2007, Parade
http://www.parade.com/celebrity/articles/071017-jerry-seinfeld-2.html

Jerry Seinfeld on his commitment to comedy and how martial arts
training helped prepare him for marriage

In my early years of stand-up, it was very helpful. I took a couple of
courses. One of them was in communication, and I learned some things
about communication that really got my act going.

Louis Farrakhan renews call for self-determination among Nation of Islam
followers
October 18, 2010, Shelley Rossetter, Tampa Bay Times
http://www.tampabay.com/news/religion/louis-farrakhan-renews-call-for-self-determination-among-nation-of-islam/1128781

The choice of holding the Nation of Islam's convention in the bay area
underscores the organization's growing relationship with the Church of
Scientology, based in Clearwater.

Connected by shared interests in improving literacy and ending drug
abuse, the organizations forged a bond years ago in which members of
the Chicago-based Nation of Islam were trained to administer
Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard's study techniques and
drug-treatment programs.

During the four-day convention, Nation of Islam members had the chance
to attend a "study tech" workshop and buy books from World Literacy
Crusade, a tutoring program that uses the teachings of Hubbard.

Tags: 2006, CCHR, Chicago, Clearwater, Ebony Awakening, Fort Harrison, Los
Angeles, Louis Farrakhan, Nation of Islam, Tampa, Tony Muhammad, Washington,
World Literacy Crusade

Miscavige's Potemkin Village
October 18, 2010, Jefferson Hawkins, Leaving Scientology
https://leavingscientology.wordpress.com/2010/10/18/miscavige%e2%80%99s-potemkin-village/

The phrase Potemkin village (or Potyomkin village) comes from a
historical myth, now largely discredited. According to the story,
Russian minister Grigory Potyomkin erected a bunch of false settlements
in Crimea to fool Empress Catherine II during a state visit. The false
fronts and hollow buildings were supposed to impress the monarch and
her travel party with the "value" of these newly conquered territories.

Apparently, it never happened. Of course, we might say ? how could
anyone ever be fooled by such obvious chicanery?

Well, members of the Church of Scientology are taken in by similarly
obvious fraud every day. In fact, there is an entire myth of
"Scientology expansion" that has been built up out of nothing.

Tags: 1980, 2005, Battlefield Earth, Clearwater, David Miscavige, Dianetics,
International Association of Scientologists, Lisa McPherson, Marc Yager,
Quicky, Russia, Saint Hill

Reviewing the Paris Judgment
October 18, 2011, Jonny Jacobsen, Infinite Complacency
http://infinitecomplacency.blogspot.com/2011/10/reviewing-paris-judgment.html

Even if the sentences in the 2009 Paris trial of Scientology have been
widely reported, the court's supporting arguments received less
attention. With the appeal starting next month, now is a good time to
review the judgment.(1)

Next month a Paris court will begin hearing the appeal against the 2009
convictions of the Church of Scientology for organised fraud.

The judgment and the sentences against the movement were hailed as a
victory by many of the movement's critics at the time.[2]

Tags: 1952, 1960, 1961, 1965, 1972, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2004, 2009, Aude-Claire
Malton, Auditing, Australia, Caroline Letkeman, Celebrity Centre, Chernobyl,
Daniel Zagury, Dianetics, East Grinstead, E-meter, Escape, Europe, France,
Georges Fenech, Hubbard Communication Office Bulletin, Hubbard Communications
Office, Lyon, Marseille, Miviludes, Netherlands, Olivier Morice, OT, Paris,
Patrick Maisonneuve, Purification Rundown, Quicky, Review, Roger Gonnet,
Saint Hill, Sheila Gaiman, South Africa, Wall Street Journal, William Walsh

Robert Almblad
October 18, 2011, Marty Rathbun, Moving On Up a Little Higher
https://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2011/10/18/robert-almblad/

People that have studied the subject of Scientology would understand
this statement: "Anything can be overrun and when it does get overrun,
it becomes suppressive." In my opinion, this overrun is what we are
experiencing on all fronts of Scientology today.

Hi, my name is Robert Almblad and I am an Independent Scientologist. My
last "Church" service was New OT V in 2005.

I joined the Sea Org at Celebrity Center in LA in 1971 when I was 23
and began my SO career in Scientology working for LRH on the Apollo in
1972. He discovered I had an innate ability to figure out the source of
annoying problems in his physical space and to come up with innovative
solutions. For noise, I designed a soundproof auditing room. For the
odd smell on the ship, I discovered dirt in the vents and began the
ship-wide program to clean the vents? this project became known as CSP
(Clean Ship Program). Today, every SO member knows the name" CSP" but
probably doesn't know where the name came from. It was me. Now that DM
knows where CSP comes from, he will probably ban the use of the term. Ha.

Tags: 1970, 1971, 1972, 1974, 1981, 2005, 2010, Advanced Org, Amsterdam,
Apollo, Celebrity Centre, Denmark, E-meter, Europe, Heaven's Gate,
Independent, International Association of Scientologists, L. Ron Hubbard, Los
Angeles, Mission, OT, OT V, Quicky, Ray Mithoff, Robert Almblad, Sea Org,
Suppressive Person, White House

A Yoga Master's Question For Scientology OT 8's: Can You Show Cause Over
Matter?
October 18, 2012, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
http://tonyortega.org/2012/10/18/a-yoga-masters-question-for-scientology-ot-8s-can-you-show-cause-over-matter/

PLEASE SEE THE UPDATE BELOW...

Brian Culkin sent over an interesting message this morning. Culkin, a
yoga master and business consultant, was featured last year in the
landmark Tampa Bay Times investigative series about Scientology's
cash-hungry methods, "The Money Machine."

Although Culkin was only in Scientology for about a year, he provided
some stunning testimony about how often he was hit up for cash once the
church realized that he had a bit of money. In just a year with the
church, he estimated that he turned over about $330,000.

Tags: 1950, 1960, 1979, 1987, 1994, 1995, 2001, 2010, Brian Culkin, Bruce
Hines, Clear, Dianetics, Los Angeles, Operating Thetan, OT, OT 8, OT III, OT
VIII, Quicky, Tampa Bay Times, Tiziano Lugli

Billion Dollar Babies - Cruise and Miscavige
October 18, 2012, Marty Rathbun, Moving On Up a Little Higher
https://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2012/10/18/billion-dollar-babies-cruise-and-miscavige/

While I was going through my decompression from Scientology Inc. my
wife and I watched Paul Haggis' Oscar-winning film Million Dollar Baby.
The movie prompted me to have the first in-depth discussion on the
subject of Scientology that I had had since leaving the cult. I pointed
out to Monique Haggis' wonderful depiction of a number of elements of L.
Ron Hubbard's seminal work, The Code of Honor.

I was to later learn that David Miscavige and his deputy Tom Cruise had
quite an opposite reaction to Haggis' award-winning work.

Movie guys Tom and Dave on a date

Tags: Code of Honor, Colorado, David Miscavige, Jessica Feshbach, Movie, Paul
Haggis, Quicky, Telluride, Tom Cruise, Tommy Davis

Pasadena "Ideal Org" Is Empty -- Photo Evidence
October 18, 2013, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/pasadena-ideal-org-is-empty-photo-evidence/

A report from two Special Correspondents about the goings-on [or lack
thereof] at the Pasadena "Ideal Org" with pix.

Mad Hatter Studios called the OT Committee into the Pasadena "Ideal"
Org for a shoot to "prove" the Org was booming. Well, Cheshire Cat
Studios decided we needed to see for ourselves. We posted in the pub
across the alley from the Org at 5:50PM on a Friday evening to catch
the public leaving after course. Then had a leisurely dinner with a
glass of wine as we waited for the 7:00 rush. It was an interesting wait.

We could see clearly down the corridor that runs between the parking
lot and the alley. All public would need to come in from one of three
directions but cross the corridor to get to the elevators and stairs to
courses or the HGC on upper floors. We counted 4 public leaving just
after 6:00 and 6 public arriving before 7:00 (actually one was late!)
But the fascinating thing is we counted around 15-20 staff. And most of
them appeared to be Sea Org (white shirt, dark tie, dark pants and key
ring. Maybe 5 looked like regular staff.

Tags: Ideal Org, Mad Hatter Studios, OT Committee, Pasadena, Quicky, Sea Org

Scientology Drug Rehab: New Evidence in the Disturbing Case of Richard Teague
October 18, 2013, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
http://tonyortega.org/2013/10/18/scientology-drug-rehab-troubling-new-evidence-in-the-disturbing-case-of-richard-teague/

On January 15, 2011, while being held in the "withdrawal unit" of
Narconon Freedom Center in Albion, Michigan, Teague, while exhibiting
symptoms of severe benzodiazepine withdrawal, set himself on fire with
the use of a cigarette lighter and a spray cologne bottle. With flames
engulfing him, he ran outside and extinguished the fire by plunging
into the snow.

(In Oklahoma, it was the "withdrawal unit" of Scientology's flagship
drug rehab facility, Narconon Arrowhead, where Stacy Dawn Murphy died
of a drug overdose in July, 2012, leading to multiple government
investigations and the passage of a new state law to regulate rehab
facilities in that state more closely.)

Tags: 1979, 1999, 2009, 2011, 2012, A Forever Recovery, Albion, Angry Gay
Pope, Battle Creek, Brandon Ogborn, David Miscavige, J. Swift, Jeffrey Ray,
Karen de la Carriere, Katie Holmes, Los Angeles, Michigan, Narconon, Narconon
Arrowhead, Narconon Freedom Center, Oklahoma, Per Wickstrom, Richard Teague,
Stacy Murphy, Tom Cruise, TomKat Project

Alberta Health Services hired 'coach' to implement Landmark ideology
October 18, 2014, Charles Rusnell, CBC News
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/alberta-health-services-hired-coach-to-implement-landmark-ideology-1.2802283

Alberta Health Services issued a sole-source contract to hire an
executive "coach" to ensure the "Ways of Being" ideology learned by AHS
employees through Landmark Education training was adhered to.

Documents obtained by CBC News through freedom of information reveal
Landmark Education Corp., a controversial American personal-development
company, so successfully established itself within the AHS IT
department that it adopted Landmark's "Ways of Being" as part of its
strategic plan.

Tags: Alberta, Alberta Health Services, Calgary, Deb Beroset, Kerry Towle,
Kevin Brown, Landmark, Landmark Education, Living the Values, Mark Rayner,
Rayner Institute, Vickie Kaminski, Ways of Being, Wildrose

Jon Atack: The question Scientologists aren't allowed to ask each other
October 18, 2014, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
http://tonyortega.org/2014/10/18/jon-atack-the-question-scientologists-arent-allowed-to-ask-each-other/

Jon Atack is the author of A Piece of Blue Sky, one of the very best
books on L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology. He has a new edition of the
book for sale, and for more than a year on Saturdays he helped us sift
through the legends, myths, and contested facts about Scientology that
tend to get hashed and rehashed in books, articles, and especially on
the Internet. He was kind enough to send us a new post.

Jon, thanks for another new post. Tell us about the question
Scientologists can't ask each other!

JON: My late friend, Professor Johannes Aagaard, would become agitated
at conferences when listening to some sociologist pussyfoot around the
activities of a cult group. Like me, he objected to the term "new
religious movement" when it was applied to groups that had no religious
pretensions, such as the Landmark Education, Amway, or the Larouchies.
Like me, he objected to the refusal to discuss the biography of a cult
leader, because such "hagiographies" must never be questioned (and,
yes, sociologists use this term, which means "the biography of a saint.
" So, Hubbard's invented exploits are "hagiographies"). If you had
video of Jesus changing water into wine at the Wedding at Cana, there
was no way that these sociologists would let you watch it. You must
simply accept the elaborate deceptions of the likes of Ron Hubbard. On
such occasions, the good Professor Aagaard would take a sharp intake of
breath and say, "Why don't they ask the truth question?" Why should we
not question the usefulness of the doctrine itself?

Tags: A Piece of Blue Sky, Amway, Buddha, Buddhism, Buddhist, Chill EB,
Command Intention, David Miscavige, East Grinstead, England, France,
Greenfields School, International Association of Scientologists, Jesus,
Johannes Aagaard, Jon Atack, Landmark Education, London, Pete Griffiths,
Saint Hill Manor, Sam Domingo, Sea Org, UK, Wedding

Scientology and NOI -- The Latest
October 18, 2014, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/scientology-and-noi-the-latest/

The latest scientology/Nation of Islam collaboration front group
activity.

This "United in Peace Day" is being promoted in scientology circles as
the "first public recognition of TWTH's role in producing LA's historic
drop in crime" (what do they put in the water in scientology buildings?)

And here is the "Confidential" briefing about this event (I wonder why
this is confidential?)

Tags: Alfreddie Johnson, California, Celebrity Centre, Freedom Medal Winner,
International Association of Scientologists, Los Angeles, Nation of Islam,
New York, OT, Quicky, Reverend, The Way to Happiness, Tony Muhammad

Tom Cruise shows up with his Scientology 'Freedom Medal of Valor' in London
October 18, 2014, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
http://tonyortega.org/2014/10/18/tom-cruise-shows-up-with-his-scientology-freedom-medal-of-valor-in-london/

Well, so much for those idiotic tabloid reports about Tom Cruise losing
his religion. The folks over at ESMB spotted a photograph posted on
Saturday on Instagram that shows Tom in London and wearing his Freedom
Medal of Valor.

He's posing with Ruddy Rodriguez, who was Miss Venezuela World in 1985,
has worked in Venezualan telenovelas since then, and has been a
Scientologist since 1997.

According to the caption on the photo, posted by Ruddy's manager, he
took the picture in London where there was a "spectacular celebration."

Tags: 1985, 1995, 1997, 2000, 2004, 2012, AOLA, Apple, Birmingham, Bob
Twaalfhoven, Celebrity Centre, Criminal, David Miscavige, Detroit, East
Grinstead, England, Freedom Medal, Freedom Medal of Valor, Happiness Rundown,
Hospital, Ideal Org, International Association of Scientologists, Katie
Holmes, L. Ron Hubbard, London, Marty Rathbun, Nicole Kidman, OT,
Philadelphia, Rick Petersen, Roger Friedman, Ruddy Rodriguez, Sacramento,
Santa Barbara, Scotland, Showbiz 411, Silicon Valley, Sunday Funnies, Sydney,
Tom Cruise, Toronto, UK, Venezuala, Venezuela, Vikki Petersen

Countdown to Friday: 'Scientology's Dirty Tricks' on the menu in Sydney
October 18, 2015, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
http://tonyortega.org/2015/10/18/countdown-to-friday-scientologys-dirty-tricks-on-the-menu-in-sydney/

Hey, Sydney, we hear 2,300 of you crammed into the premiere of Going
Clear back in June - that's more people who admitted to being
Scientologists in your country's last census!

So this Friday, you'll get a chance to meet one of the people in that
film - the proprietor of this website, in fact - which recently won
three Emmy Awards and is now angling for an Oscar nomination.

And not only that, but we'll be accompanied on stage by two of
Australia's amazing television journalists who keep an eye on
Scientology, ABC's Steve Cannane and Channel 7's Bryan Seymour.

Tags: Adelaide, Andrew Moody, Australia, Bryan Seymour, Cleveland Street,
Emmy Award, Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief, John Wood,
Mauro Calcioli, Melbourne, Neil Gaiman, Perth, Quicky, Saint Hill, Steve
Cannane, Sydney

Rising Corbyn star and group who say Bin Laden hypnotised into launching 9/11
attack
October 18, 2015, Amardeep Bassey, Birmingham Mail
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/rising-corbyn-star-group-who-10274219

A rising Labour Party star was the guest of honour at the launch of an
exhibition by a Church of Scientology offshoot that blames the 9/11
World Trade Centre terror attack on psychiatrists.

Birmingham's youngest councillor Mariam Khan said she had no idea that
the Citizens Commission on Human Rights (CCHR) preaches that
psychiatrists are "terrorists" and mental illnesses do not exist.

The 24-year-old, who Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn recently promoted to
the party's national policy forum, cut the ribbon to unveil the group's
mobile exhibition stall.

Tags: Andy Montgomery, Ayman Zwahiri, Birmingham, Brian Daniels, CCHR, Mariam
Khan, Monica Shafaq, Osama bin Laden, UK

An Epic Bust: Scientology Ireland
October 18, 2016, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/an-epic-bust-scientology-ireland/

Got a new email from an old fake friend who usually circulates the
latest slime about Ron Miscavige.

This time he/she was announcing the wonders of the new "Dublin Office."

Prompting me to instant action, I dutifully followed the link to the
scientology site to see what they had to say about this monumental
accomplishment that had attendees at the IAS Event gushing about the
miracle of being able to set up a whole "ideal org" without anyone even
knowing! (As usual, their heads are firmly planted in the sand - it has
been the topic of a lot of media and social media coverage over the
past month or more).

Tags: 1950, 1956, ANZO, Chairman of the Board, Church of Spiritual
Technology, David Miscavige, DC, Dublin, England, Europe, Harlem,
International Association of Scientologists, Ireland, Irish Times, London,
National Affairs Office, New Year's Eve, OT III, Quicky, Radiation, Ron
Miscavige Sr, Russia, Shermanspeak, UK

Trademark lawsuit against Scientology's drug rehab network settles weeks
before trial
October 18, 2016, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
http://tonyortega.org/2016/10/18/trademark-lawsuit-against-scientologys-drug-rehab-network-reaches-settlement/

(Federal Judge Ronald A. White)

What started out as a major lawsuit against 82 defendants connected
with Scientology - including its leader, David Miscavige - has ended
suddenly and will not be going to trial.

According to a document filed by its attorneys, the National
Association of Forensic Counselors has reached a settlement with the
parties it has been suing for trademark violations at Scientology's
drug rehab network, Narconon.

Tags: 2013, 2014, Certified Chemical Dependency Counselor, David Keesling,
David Miscavige, DC, Deadline, Eric Tenorio, Florida, Frank Deisler, Indiana,
International Association of Scientologists, Judge Ronald White, Judge Steven
Shreder, Karla Taylor, Kelly Preston, Kerri Kasem, Lawyer, Lucas Catton, NAFC
v. Scientology, Narconon, Narconon Arrowhead, National Association of
Forensic Counselors, NBC, Oklahoma, OT, Paul DeMuro, Quicky, Rock Center,
Saint Hill, Texas, Trademark

Today in Scientlology web page:
http://umbraxenu.no-ip.biz/today.html
October 18 in Scientlology web page: