Today in Scientology -- July 22nd ************************

Scientology Today

Jul 22, 2016, 7:51:22 PM7/22/16
Today July 22nd in Scientology history
======================================

Coming to a Screen Near You: A Guerrilla War In Cyberspace
July 22, 1996, Associated Press
http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1996/Coming-to-a-Screen-Near-You-A-Guerrilla-War-In-Cyberspace/id-913c8c4fdaec8ff419acf60ca653e909

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) _ Some on the Net call it cyberspace's Vietnam.
Others prefer the analogy of the Spanish Civil War.

Whichever it is, the back-and-forth skirmishes of this guerrilla
conflict are an excellent example of the kind of vigilantism that rules
in the anarchy that is the Internet.

The battle pits the Los Angeles-based Church of Scientology against a
few loosely organized bands of free speech advocates who have taken up
what they believe to be the flag of truth.

Tags: 1991, 1995, alt.religion.scientology, First Amendment, Grady Ward,
Helena Kobrin, Jeff Quiros, John Travolta, Los Angeles, Quicky, Ron Newman,
San Francisco, Scamizdat, Scientology lawyer, Scott Goehring, Vietnam,
Washington Post

======================================

Copyright -- or wrong?
July 22, 1999, Janelle Brown, Salon
http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/1999/07/22/scientology/index.html

In June, the Church of Scientology subpoenaed AT&T Corp., invoking the
Digital Millennium Copyright Act to demand that it reveal the identity
of a WorldNet subscriber who was posting excerpts from "Introduction to
Scientology Ethics" on alt.religion.scientology under the pseudonym
"Safe." Faced with the law, AT&T quickly ponied up the user
information, an act that Steele says "the fourth amendment protects
against -- it's a misuse of the civil justice system for companies to
be [defeating] anonymous speech."

Tags: alt.scientology.war, Bridge Publications, David Miscavige, DMCA,
Electronic Frontier Foundation, Helena Kobrin, James Lippard

======================================

Scientology goes visiting
July 22, 1999, Enzo Di Matteo, NOW Magazine
http://www.nowtoronto.com/issues/18/47/News/brief.html

From the regular demos in front of the church's Yonge Street offices to
the photographing of church members and posting of their mugs on the
Internet, Hagglund has been relentless in his attempts to expose the
"truth" about the curious practice of Scientology. Behind the scenes,
he's been trying to put the kibosh on the church's controversial
efforts to win charitable status.

Tags: Al Buttnor, Canada, Gregg Hagglund

======================================

Probe opens in disappearance of papers in Scientology case
July 22, 2000, AP, New Haven Register
http://www.nhregister.com/site/index.cfm?newsid=662442&BRD=1281&PAG=461&dept_id=517515&rfi=8

The dossiers, which disappeared in 1998 from the Justice Ministry, were
part of a case opened in 1990 against 16 regional Scientology leaders
for alleged fraud, illegal practice of medicine and premeditated
violence.

The case stemmed from a complaint by a former Scientologist, Juan
Esteban Cordero, who accused the Church of Scientology of "progressive
mental conditioning" that led him to spend more than $177,000 on
Scientology-related courses.

Tags: France

======================================

Exclusive: Weird Science
July 22, 2005, Laurie Hanna, Mirror.co.uk
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=15766200&method=full&siteid=94762&headline=weird-science--name_page.html

IT'S the belief system which actor Tom Cruise says has changed his life
and made him a better man.

But the controversial Church of Scientology was criticised last week
after claims it was preying on people caught up in the London bombings.

Packs of yellow-shirted believers arrived at the scenes of carnage,
offering "spiritual healing" to distraught relatives - and ?3 booklets
titled How To Improve Conditions In Life.

And yesterday 200 "volunteer ministers" were sent out across the
capital to talk to people after the latest alerts.

Tags: London, UK, Volunteer Ministers

======================================

Oppressed Thetans: The New "OT"
July 22, 2009, Jefferson Hawkins, Leaving Scientology
https://leavingscientology.wordpress.com/2009/07/22/oppressed-thetans-the-new-ot/

In HCOB 22 December 1960, O/W, A Limited Theory, LRH points out that we
use O/W as it "explains phenomena found at a low humanoid level." It is
not, he states, a senior governing law of the universe. As one moves up
the line, it drops out.

Makes sense. As one moves up to OT, one should become more and more
rational, more and more ethical. Trips to the Ethics Officer should be
less and less. And Security Checks should be fewer and fewer.

In theory. But that's not how it works, is it? In fact, it seems that
the higher you are on the Bridge, the less you are trusted. Security
Checks become more and more frequent. Anyone on OT VII, in fact, has to
go to Flag twice a year for their "6 Month Check," which includes at
least one intensive of Security Checking, often two or more, at $7,500
an intensive. Add in the bill for your 6-month C/Sing, your
Accomodations and food, and you're looking at spending $20,000 or more
twice a year.

Tags: 1960, Clearwater, Ethics Officer, Hubbard Communication Office
Bulletin, Ideal Org, International Association of Scientologists, L. Ron
Hubbard, OT, OT VII, OT VIII, Quicky, Religious Technology Center, Sea Org,
Sec Check, St. Petersburg Times, Virginia

======================================

Scientology's most dangerous enemy
July 22, 2009, Jefferson Hawkins, Leaving Scientology
https://leavingscientology.wordpress.com/2009/07/22/scientologys-most-dangerous-enemy/

No, it's not Anonymous. Or the Psychs. Or the Drug Companies. Or the St.
Petersburg Times.

In fact, it's an inside job.

A man who's been working to dismantle Scientology from within for 20
years.

Tags: 1980, 2003, Anonymous, California, Clearwater, CMO Int, David
Miscavige, Dianetics, Egypt, Golden Era Productions, Ideal Org, Int Base,
International Association of Scientologists, L. Ron Hubbard, Los Angeles,
Mission, New York Times, OT, Quicky, Rehabilitation Project Force, Religious
Technology Center, Saint Hill, San Jacinto, Scientology executive, Scotland,
Sea Org, St. Petersburg Times, The Hole

======================================

Judging religion and charity
July 22, 2010, Mike Ferriss, Opinion, ABC News (Australia)
http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/stories/s2959824.htm

Senator Nick Xenophon's back-door approach to bring Scientology under
scrutiny through an ill-conceived Tax Amendment Bill on charities has
had the effect of alarming religious groups large and small to his
unholy crusade. Now they too could be drawn into the strange vortex
Xenophon is creating with his call for charities to be measured not
only by public benefit (which they currently already are) but also by
the criteria of detriment or harm.

Tags: Australia, Nick Xenophon

======================================

Portrait of a Sociopath
July 22, 2010, Jefferson Hawkins, Leaving Scientology
https://leavingscientology.wordpress.com/2010/07/22/portrait-of-a-sociopath/

I have occasionally used the term sociopath to describe David Miscavige.
I use the term advisedly, not as some random insult. Mainly because
every description of a sociopath that I have read fits Miscavige to a T.

And please, don't make the mistake of saying, "oh yes, sociopath ?
that's the same as an SP. And I already know all about SPs, therefore I
don't need to learn anything further." That's known as
thought-stopping, a phenomenon that deserves its own post. One of the
biggest barriers to learning something is thinking you already know it.

In my opinion, "Suppressive Person" has always been primarily used as a
political term in Scientology. Sure, there's a list of "Characteristics
of an Anti-Social Personality" in the Ethics book, but come on, really,
when was the last time you saw someone methodically going down through
that checklist before declaring someone? And when was the last time you
saw someone declared SP who actually had a majority of those
characteristics? No, it's a way to label and isolate people who
challenge the power and authority of the Church ? and specifically
these days, David Miscavige.

Tags: Church of Spiritual Technology, David Miscavige, Disconnection, Ethics,
Int Base, Jennifer Linson, L. Ron Hubbard, Musical Chairs, Potential Trouble
Source, Quicky, Rehabilitation Project Force, Scientology executive,
Suppressive Person

======================================

ID the Benchwarmers Contest
July 22, 2011, Marty Rathbun, Moving On Up a Little Higher
https://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2011/07/22/id-the-benchwarmers-contest/

It seems the Creed of the Church of Scientology worked like water on
the wicked witches of the west. "OT VIII"s Allender and Ed Bryan have
not been seen since; apparently given the mushroom treatment by
Miscavige.

Camera man Bart Parr was also subbed out today for another fellow.

Pictures of today's subs are below.

Tags: Bart Parr, David Miscavige, Ed Bryan, OT VIII, Quicky

======================================

Neil Gaiman, 7, Interviewed About Scientology by the BBC in 1968
July 22, 2012, Tony Ortega, Runnin' Scared, Village Voice
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2012/07/scientology_neil_gaiman_bbc_1968.php#more

It was a pamphlet, dated 1969, titled "A Report to Members of
Parliament on Scientology."

The 14-page item was published by Scientology's "World-Wide Public
Relations Bureau" at East Grinstead in Sussex. It contains the church's
the UK and other Commonwealth governments at the time.

Tags: 1968, 1969, 1972, 2009, 2010, BBC, BBC Radio, Chuck Beatty, Clear,
Colin Henderson, Connecticut, David Gaiman, David Miscavige, East Grinstead,
Engrams, Facebook, Gary Smith, Ingleside, Jeanne LeFlore, Kate Bornstein,
McAlester News-Capital, Nancy Many, Narconon, Narconon Arrowhead, NBC, Neil
Gaiman, New Yorker, Oklahoma, Patty Moher, Paulette Cooper, Pittsburg County,
Roger Weller, Stacy Murphy, Sunday Funnies, Sussex, The Master, Tom Cruise, UK

======================================

The Great Middle Path Revisited
July 22, 2012, Marty Rathbun, Moving On Up a Little Higher
https://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2012/07/22/the-great-middle-path-revisited/

For those new to the blog, I recommend an essay I posted almost three
years ago titled The Great Middle Path redux. I discussed then the idea
that the extreme sides of the Scientology spectrum in many ways reflect
one another. The zealots on the Miscavige side and the 'critics' on the
'book burner' side nurture one another as convenient evils to make life
combative enough to be interesting.

I once heard a pundit remark that probably the most straight, truthful
news from the Middle East comes from the Al Jazeera news agency. He
reckoned that based on an objective study of international news
reportage on the region over a several year period. He cited as
corroboration for that analysis the fact that Al Jazeera was the only
news outfit in history to be bombed by both of the opposing sides of a
military conflict.

If you check out the reader reviews on Amazon books for What Is Wrong
With Scientology you will see that most who care to comment express
strong feelings one way or the other about the book. A lot of people
seem to either hate it or love it. Add to the mix both extremes of the
Scientology spectrum. On the one side are the anti-Marty sites,
authored and edited by David Miscavige. On the other side is the most
prominent and persistent of Scientology ridiculers, Tony Ortega at the
Village Voice.

Tags: Al Jazeera, Amazon, David Miscavige, Quicky, Tony Ortega, Village Voice

======================================

This Man Alleges He Was Held For Months In A Scientology 'Reform' Prison
July 22, 2012, Jim Edwards , Business Insider
http://www.businessinsider.com/this-man-alleges-he-was-held-for-months-in-a-scientology-reform-prison-2012-7

Steve Hall was a member of the Church of Scientology from 1987 to 2004,
and was a marketing staffer in Scientology's international management
headquarters in Gilman Hot Springs, near Hemet, California. He wrote
the church's advertising tagline, "Know yourself, know life."

He spent years scripting speeches for Scientology leader David
Miscavige and shooting videos for its conventions. He did it all as a
volunteer, in return for room and board and a small amount of cash.

While famous Scientologists who donate their money to the church, like
Tom Cruise and John Travolta, get to live their own lives at home,
Scientologists who volunteer their labor instead can find themselves
posted full-time at the Gilman Hot Springs HQ, which is an hour's drive
through the desert from Las Vegas.

Tags: David Miscavige, Debbie Cook, Heber Jentzsch, Int Base, Janet Reitman,
John Travolta, Shelly Miscavige, Slave labor, Steve Hall, The Hole, Tom
Cruise, Tommy Davis

======================================

DISCONNECTION: A Double Dose of Scientology's Toxic Use of "Leverage"
July 22, 2013, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
http://tonyortega.org/2013/07/22/disconnection-a-double-dose-of-scientologys-toxic-use-of-leverage/

Lori Hodgson Leah Remini's defection from Scientology put into stark
relief one of the church's most toxic policies: Disconnection. Because
Remini and her family dared to walk away, their longtime Scientology
friends were told to cut off ties with them as quickly as possible.

The church put out a statement, denying that its members are forced to
disconnect, but we asked our readers for examples that prove the policy
is still in force and is quite common. Mike Rinder and other former
Scientology officials tell us that the church uses Disconnection as a
way to have "leverage" over its members and keep them controlled. After
we made our call for entries, we received a remarkable outpouring of
stories, but some came in later and we wanted to highlight a couple of
them today.

We're starting off with a letter from Lori Hodgson, a woman we've
written about before. The last time we checked in with her, she had
made a trip to Texas to surprise her son for Mother's Day.

Tags: 1960, 1980, 1984, 1987, 1990, 1993, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2010, 2011,
Advanced Org, Angry Gay Pope, Australia, Bella Cruise, California,
Clearwater, David Miscavige, Dianetics, Disconnection, Facebook, Florida,
Jeremy Leake, Joe Reaiche, Karen de la Carriere, Leah Remini, London, Lori
Hodgson, Los Angeles, Mike Rinder, Office of Special Affairs, Oregon, OT, OT
7, Portland, Quicky, Religious Technology Center, Sea Org, Suppressive
Person, Texas

======================================

Mike Wreggitt Speaks
July 22, 2013, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/mike-wreggitt-speaks/

Following is a posting sent in to me by Mike Wreggitt. It falls into
the category of some of the earlier postings I called "Life Is Good."
Things have been a bit frantic with "hard news", so this is a nice
change of pace.

Hey, I wanted to introduce myself to the independent Scientology
community.

My name is Mike Wreggitt. I've made a few posts a year or so ago on
Marty's blog, under my own name, but other than that I haven't been too
vocal. Also, I'm #140 on the Indie 500 list.

Tags: 1986, 2005, 2012, Denver, Dianetics, Disconnection, Freezone, Gayle
Smith, Georgia, Ingrid Smith, OT, Phoenix, Purif, Quicky, Washington

======================================

Narconon- one year anniversary in string of deaths- investigation continues
July 22, 2013, Jeanne LeFlore, McAlester News-Capital
http://www.mcalesternews.com/news/local_news/article_730a7e56-e6cd-540f-9cb9-25c4ad262fad.html

Today marks the first anniversary of the death of Stacy Murphy, one of
three people found dead at Narconon Arrowhead in less than a year.

In the early morning hours of July 20, 2012, Murphy, who was 20, was
found dead in a detox room at Narconon Arrowhead.

Murphy's was the third reported death at the facility within a year and
opened the door for a multi-agency investigation into her death and
that of three others.

Tags: Certified Chemical Dependency Counselor, Farley Ward, Gabriel Graves,
Gary Richardson, Gary Smith, Hillary Holten, Jason Murphey, Joel Kerns,
Kaysie Werninck, Lucas Catton, Mary Fallin, Narconon, Narconon Arrowhead,
National Association of Forensic Counselors, Oklahoma Department of Mental
Heath and Substance Abuse Services, Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation,
Pittsburg County Sheriff's Office, Stacy Murphy, Stacy's Law, Tom Ivester

======================================

Flag Stats Are Going Down
July 22, 2014, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/flag-stats-are-going-down/

Some more "good news" from our old friend Jeff Mintz.

Here are some earlier weeks of the same stats sent out by Jeff Mintz
all under the same heading "Good News From Flag!":

W/E 3 July 14

Tags: Barbara Rubio, Clear, David Miscavige, Don Davis, Jeff Mintz, Kendrick
Moxon, Murray Marvin, OT, OT VII, Purif, Quicky, Running Program, Super
Power, Survival Rundown

======================================

J. Swift's Illustrated Guide to Scammy Church of Scientology Money Madness
July 22, 2014, Jeffrey Augustine, Scientology Money Project
http://scientologymoneyproject.com/2014/07/22/j-swifts-illustrated-guide-to-scammy-church-of-scientology-money-madness/

CLICK TO ENLARGE:

Tags: J. Swift, Quicky, Scam

======================================

More trouble for Scientology fundraising and recruitment in Europe
July 22, 2014, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
http://tonyortega.org/2014/07/22/more-trouble-for-scientology-fundraising-and-recruitment-in-europe/

For today's story, we turned to our helpful translators again for
assistance with another article from the German press.

This item appeared in the weekly publication Kontext and provided some
interesting history of Scientology in Stuttgart, saying that the local
Scientologists have actually been "on the sidelines" as plans to
replace a drab, poorly situated org with a gleaming new Ideal Org in a
better location have stumbled, and part of the reason involves a
mysterious Israeli entity.

The magazine drew on information from Germany's Federal Office for the
Protection of the Constitution, which keeps a close eye on Scientology.
Earlier this month, we told you that the agency reported that
Scientology is all but dead in Berlin. But Stuttgart has remained an
area with more adherents of the organization.

Tags: 2006, 2010, 2012, Alhambra theater, Austin, Australia, Berlin, David
Miscavige, Germany, Gur Finkelstein, Ideal Org, Israel, Jaffa, New Zealand,
Office for the Protection of the Constitution, Quicky, San Diego, San
Fernando Valley, Sea Org, Stuttgart, Tel Aviv, Yehud

======================================

How Scientology is Tom Cruise? How he put ethics 'ruthlessly' in to his own
family
July 22, 2015, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
http://tonyortega.org/2015/07/22/how-scientology-is-tom-cruise-how-he-put-ethics-ruthlessly-in-to-his-own-family/

Aaron Smith-Levin has another clip from his YouTube project, "Growing
Up in Scientology," and this one is really something. Once again, he's
interviewed Nick Lister, who was talked about in Alex Gibney's
documentary Going Clear. Nick has some revelations about working in the
Tom Cruise household and how seriously Tom holds Scientology's concepts
of discipline, even as it applies to his own family. Aaron has supplied
us with this description of what you're going to see...

Some in the media have speculated that perhaps Tom Cruise is
considering leaving Scientology so he can spend more time with his
daughter Suri. More serious media outlets know that this is just spin.
Nick has a story which provides some new insight into just how
militantly Tom uses the policies of Scientology and to what degree the
Church of Scientology has been involved in every aspect of his life,
beyond finding him girlfriends and tricking out cars and airplane
hangars.

In this video Nick describes how shortly after Tom Cruise won his IAS
Freedom Medal of Valor in 2004, Tom kicked his niece Jamie Lesavoy out
of the family (who was 14-years old at the time) for about two years
for behavior which he deemed was "unbecoming of a Scientologist and
out-PR" (creating a bad image for oneself or Scientology).

Tags: 2004, Aaron Smith-Levin, Alex Gibney, Applied Scholastics, Bennetta
Slaughter, Cass Mapother, Clearwater, David Miscavige, Freedom Medal of
Valor, Freedom Medal Winner, Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the
Prison of Belief, Greg Capazorio, Growing Up In Scientology, Houston,
International Association of Scientologists, Jamie Lesavoy, Lisa McPherson,
Los Angeles, Nick Lister, Quicky, Religious Technology Center, Sea Org, St.
Louis, The Unbreakable Miss Lovely, Tom Cruise, YouTube

======================================

Scientology Tracker Tony Ortega in Houston to Discuss His Book, Retaliation
and the Church
July 22, 2015, Houston Press
http://www.houstonpress.com/arts/scientology-tracker-tony-ortega-in-houston-to-discuss-his-book-retaliation-and-the-church-7611164

Tony Ortega, a former editor of the Village Voice who became equally
well known for his relentless pursuit of the Church of Scientology and
its inner workings is in Houston today to talk about his research and
to promote his book The Unbreakable Miss Lovely about Paulette Cooper,
a critic of the church.

The Humanists of Houston are sponsoring the talk at the Fox and Hound,
11470 Westheimer, at 7 pm today. Ortega, who's now with TheLipTV, says
Cooper who wrote one of the first books critical of Scientology in 1971
was spied upon by the Church which sued her repeatedly in the years
that followed.

Ortega has himself experienced some of the the church's retaliatory
tactics. "The New York Times recently confirmed that the Church of
Scientology was behind an illegal hacking attack that sent a private
investigator to prison, and that I was one of the targets of those
attacks. Scientology could not have more succinctly proved the point of
my book, that it has always engaged in dirty tricks against the people
it considers enemies, and always will," he says.

Tags: Alex Gibney, Fair Game, HBO, Paulette Cooper, The Unbreakable Miss
Lovely, TheLipTV, Tony Ortega

======================================

Anti-drugs campaign is Scientology in disguise: spies
July 22, 2016, The Local
http://www.thelocal.de/20160722/anti-drugs-campaign-is-scientology-in-disguise-warns-govt

While the slogan may seem innocuous enough, it is believed to be a
cover for the local branch of the Church of Scientology.

Unlike the US, Germany does not recognize Scientology as a religion; it
has instead been regarded as an 'anti-constitutional sect' in Germany
since 1997, and is observed by the Federal Office for the Protection of
the Constitution, Germany's domestic security agency.

For this reason, the group - which has come under fire for
controversial beliefs such as rejecting psychiatry and for harassment
of critics - often operates under different names in Germany.

Tags: Germany, Hamburg, Office for the Protection of the Constitution

======================================

Regraded Being
July 22, 2016, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/friday-regraded-being-55/

Tags: Quicky, Regraded Being

======================================

Was it something we said? Scientology wants Cindy Plahuta's letter in fraud
lawsuit struck
July 22, 2016, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
http://tonyortega.org/2016/07/22/was-it-something-we-said-scientology-wants-cindy-plahutas-letter-in-fraud-lawsuit-struck/

(Cindy Plahuta's letter didn't sit well with Scientology attorney Wally
Pope)

On Wednesday, we revealed that Tampa federal Judge James D. Whittemore
had put two letters into the court file of the federal fraud lawsuit
filed by California residents Luis and Rocio Garcia against the Church
of Scientology.

The two letters, sent independently by former Scientology members Cindy
Plahuta of Colorado and Marcel Wenger of Switzerland, explained to
Judge Whittemore that when they tried to communicate with Scientology
about the arbitration process that the church was insisting the Garcias
need to go through in lieu of their lawsuit, they received no replies -
and they said it was further proof that the arbitration system doesn't
really exist, is mentioned in contracts signed by church members as a
sham, and that the court is being lied to.

Tags: California, Cindy Plahuta, Colorado, First Amendment, Garcia v.
Scientology, Harlem, Judge James Whittemore, Luis and Rocio Garcia, Marcel
Wenger, Quicky, Switzerland, Tampa, Wally Pope

Today in Scientlology web page:
http://umbraxenu.no-ip.biz/today.html
July 22 in Scientlology web page:
http://umbraxenu.no-ip.biz/days/07-22.html