Today in Scientology -- August 28th ****************

Scientology Today

Aug 28, 2015, 11:38:45 AM8/28/15
Today August 28th in Scientology history

Scientology Critics Assail Aggressiveness of Church
August 28, 1978, Robert Rawitch, Los Angeles Times
http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/latimes/access/657779062.html?dids=657779062:657779062&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:AI

http://www.xenu.net/archive/go/media/la280878.htm

Tags: Arthur Maren, Court, Fair Game, Gabe Cazares, Gene Allard, Guardian's
Office, Jeffrey Dubron, Nan McLean, Paulette Cooper, R2-45

Only 21 cruise ships can make it into port
August 28, 1986, Charles A. Jaffe, St. Petersburg Times
http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes/access/51702357.html?dids=51702357:51702357&FMT=FT

The port can accommodate ships with a draft of 22 feet or less. In
other words, no more than 22 feet of a ship can be below the water
line, or the vessel risks running aground. The pickings, Travis
acknowledges, will be slim.

The Boheme is one of those vessels (it's listed first on the chart at
right) and it was sold last week. Commodore Cruise Lines, the ship's
former owner, has not said who purchased the ship, but has said the
Boheme will leave Tampa Bay after completing a week of repairs on Sept.
13.

Tags: Freewinds

Scientology's words to hit the airwaves
August 28, 1993, Wayne Garcia, St. Petersburg Times
http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes/access/51745770.html?dids=51745770:51745770&FMT=FT&FMTS=ABS:FT

Cartwright, jazz pianist Chick Corea and other celebrities are helping
sell Dianetics in the infomercial. They're part of a show hawking a $69.
95 package that includes the book, audio and video tapes and other
instructional material to help you begin counseling yourself and others.

Scientology is never mentioned in the infomercial, called Dianetics:
The Bridge To Clear. To many people, the word "Scientology" is linked
to its critics' contentions that it is a money-making scheme or, at
worst, a cult. Scientology officials point to more than 60 court
decisions validating their status as a religion.

Even without the word Scientology, the importance of the infomercial to
the organization is clear.

Tags: Chick Corea, Cult Awareness Network, Cynthia Kisser, Dianetics, Flag
Service Organization, Heber Jentzsch, Nancy Cartwright, Stephen Kent

Court Oks Anti-Cult Jury Award
August 28, 1998, Bob Egelko, Seattle Times
http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19980828&slug=2768907

SAN FRANCISCO - A federal appeals court has reaffirmed $1.09 million in
damages against an anti-cult organization for its role in trying to
"deprogram" a Washington state teenager, despite a warning from seven
judges that free speech was under attack.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals denied reconsideration Wednesday
of a panel's 2-1 decision in April upholding damages against the Cult
Awareness Network (CAN). Without announcing the exact vote, the court
said a request for a rehearing had failed to gain a majority among its
21 active judges.

Tags: Cult Awareness Network, Jason Scott, Judge Kozinski, Kathy Tonkin, Life
Tabernacle, Rick Ross, Shirley Landa

Narconon set to open detox center
August 28, 2006, Doug Russell, McAlester News-Capital
http://www.mcalesternews.com/news/local_news/article_fe2e0826-25eb-5559-b973-9cbeb9bba44f.html

Narconon has bought the old Ramada Inn (which was once a Holiday Inn)
at 1500 S. George Nigh Expwy. and is refurbishing it to open a
detoxification center and training center.

Interior work has been going on for months, but since no true
remodeling was being done, no city permit was needed at the time,
according to Dennis Lalli, city building inspector.

Cleo McLaughlin, senior vice president of Narconon Arrowhead, said
workers initially had to remove asbestos from some of the rooms.

Now it appears the organization has gone a step farther, since it
applied for - and received - a $152,000 remodeling permit on Aug. 4.

Tags: ABLE, Asbestos, Association for Better Living and Education, Choctaw
Nation, Cleo McLaughlin, Dennis Lalli, Narconon, Narconon Arrowhead

Paramount-Cruise plot thickens: Spielberg left in dark
August 28, 2006, Phyllis Furman, Seattle Times
http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20060828&slug=cruisespielberg28

This summer's biggest Hollywood breakup has left Steven Spielberg
caught in the middle.

The director was blindsided by Paramount Pictures' decision to dump Tom
Cruise, Spielberg's spokesman said Thursday. Sumner Redstone, chairman
of Paramount parent Viacom, dropped the bombshell in an interview in
Wednesday's Wall Street Journal.

Tags: Steven Spielberg, Sumner Redstone, Tom Cruise

Valley vulture culture
August 28, 2010, Marty Rathbun, Moving On Up a Little Higher
https://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2010/08/28/valley-vulture-culture/

Anyone who has even a rudimentary knowledge of Green on White can
divine quite a lot from simply studying the promo that is put out in
Miscavige's vulture culture.

The following two pieces speak volumes as to the health and direction
of C of M in Los Angeles.

The first piece indicates that apparently the Valley Org has for some
time now out-sourced the subject of Ethics. Instead of putting an
Introduction to Scientology Ethics book in folks hands, or even having
them do Ethics light with, say, a div 6 course in Ethics, Valley is
promoting public to instead pay for some outside consultant to tell
them what Ethics is about.

Tags: Ethics, L. Ron Hubbard, Los Angeles, Quicky

Aggravated Assault and Battery by David Miscavige
August 28, 2012, Marty Rathbun, Moving On Up a Little Higher
https://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2012/08/28/aggravated-assault-and-battery-by-david-miscavige/

Lest we forget what happened to Scientology Inc., watch Steve Hall on
David Miscavige:

Tags: Assault, David Miscavige, Quicky, Steve Hall

Narconon Arrowhead sued by parents of patient who died while in treatment
August 28, 2012, KJRH
http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/news/state/Narconon-Arrowhead-sued-by-parents-of-patient-who-died-while-in-treatment

Narconon Arrowhead is being sued by the parents of a patient who died
during treatment.

Filed Aug. 23, the lawsuit claims Narconon Arrowhead did not provide
adequate medical care for Hillary Holten. Her parents say the facility
was informed Holten had a medical condition that required her to take a
steroid every day. The facility said they could manage the medication.

Tags: Death, Gary Smith, Hillary Holten, Narconon, Narconon Arrowhead

Another Disconnection Tragedy
August 28, 2013, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/another-disconnection-tragedy/

So many responses to yesterday's post about disconnection. Gayle Smith
just posted a comment that I feel deserves not to be overlooked.

I am making it it's own post.

Disconnection

Tags: 2003, David Miscavige, Disconnection, Gayle Smith, Hubbard
Communication Office Bulletin, Office of Special Affairs, OT, Quicky, Student
Hat, TIME

Scientology Legal Roundup: Per Wickstrom's Fine Whine, And More!
August 28, 2013, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
http://tonyortega.org/2013/08/28/scientology-legal-roundup-per-wickstroms-fine-whine-and-more/

As our readers can probably imagine, we're pretty excited here in the
Underground Bunker after getting yesterday's news about Monique
Rathbun's hearing date for a temporary injunction on September 12.
Scientology legal matters are definitely heating up, and so we thought
it was time for a general roundup of the major cases being litigated
around the country.

We're starting in Michigan, where we revealed recently that Per
Wickstrom, who runs a number of Scientology-style drug rehab centers,
has filed suit against the Pennfield Township (near Battle Creek)
because it has repeatedly turned down his requests to expand one of his
facilities, called "A Forever Recovery."

The Township removed the case to federal court and filed a motion to
dismiss it. And now, Wickstrom is battling back: by whining.

Tags: 2008, A Forever Recovery, ABLE, Battle Creek, Bette Orsini, Brian
Culkin, California, CIA, Clear, Clearwater, David Miscavige, DEA, England,
FBI, Florida, Georgia, Hollywood, International Association of
Scientologists, Jeff Harris, Jeff Wald, Joe Childs, John Travolta, Judge
Steve Jones, Laura DeCrescenzo, Legal, Michigan, Monique Rathbun, Narconon,
Narconon Georgia, Narconon International, New Village Leadership Academy, OT,
Per Wickstrom, Quicky, Religious Technology Center, Roger Friedman, Ronald
Weil, Study Technology, Super Power Building, Tampa, Tampa Bay Times, Ted
Babbitt, Tom Tobin, US Supreme Court

Ladies and gentlemen, the greatest Scientology video in the history of
Scientology videos
August 28, 2014, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
http://tonyortega.org/2014/08/28/ladies-and-gentlemen-the-greatest-scientology-video-in-the-history-of-scientology-videos/

We've been leaked a video which could not be a more perfect
distillation of Scientology as it exists in 2014.

This thing, well, it's - it's beautiful.

Before we show it to you, we want to help you put it in context. The
few remaining Scientologists in Atlanta, like other cities in the U.S.,
are under intense pressure to donate huge amounts of money in order to
pay for a new building they don't need. These new facilities are called
"Ideal Orgs," and just yesterday former Scientology spokesman Mike
Rinder posted a great backgrounder on this maniacal decade-long push by
church leader David Miscavige.

Tags: 1990, Advanced Org, Atlanta, Chill EB, Copenhagen, David Miscavige,
Ideal Org, International Association of Scientologists, IRS, Mike Rinder,
Phoenix, Quicky, Tom Cruise, We Stand Tall

Thursday Funnies
August 28, 2014, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/thursday-funnies-4/

This is "All New" because "The Time Is Now"

Sounds like the same old, same old to me... I would love to know what
is "all new" about this? "We just pronounced it all new, so it is"?
Sort of like the 25 anniversary of the Freewinds?

And I would love to hear how GAT II has made building ideal orgs faster
and more certain than ever!

Tags: 1983, 2000, Auditing, Bogot?, Boston, Charter Committee, Clear,
Coachman, Colombia, Command Intention, Dianetics, France, Freewinds, Ideal
Org, International Association of Scientologists, L. Ron Hubbard, Los
Angeles, OT, Pasadena, Potential Trouble Source, Quicky, Registrar, Religious
Technology Center, Santa Barbara, Student Hat, Super Power, Thursday Funnies,
Timothy Bowles, Tony Ortega, We Stand Tall, WISE

Why Ideal Orgs? An Essay by Mike Rinder
August 28, 2014, Jeffrey Augustine, Scientology Money Project
http://scientologymoneyproject.com/2014/08/28/why-ideal-orgs-an-essay-by-mike-rinder/

Foreword: This essay by Mike Rinder is so outstanding in exposing the
deception underlying David Miscavige's Ideal Org programs that I am
reprinting it here in its entirety. This essay connects the dots.
Reprinted with permission of the author.

Why Ideal Orgs?

An Essay by Mike Rinder

Tags: 2002, 2003, Angie Blankenship, Basics, Boston, Buffalo, Chairman of the
Board, Church of Spiritual Technology, Clearwater, CMO Int, Command
Intention, Commodore's Messenger Organization, Cult, David Miscavige, DC,
First Amendment, Freewinds, Geir Isene, Ideal Org, IRS, Jennifer Linson,
Johannesburg, KCET, L. Ron Hubbard, Madrid, Maiden Voyage, Mike Rinder,
Mormon, Narconon, New York, OT, OT VIII, Penelope Cruz, Purif, Quicky,
Religious Technology Center, San Francisco, Sea Org, South Africa, Spain,
Student Hat, Super Power, Tampa, Tom Cruise

Regraded Being
August 28, 2015, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/friday-regraded-being-13/

Tags: Quicky, Regraded Being

WOW: California judge orders trial to determine if Scientology drugged
incoming rehab patients
August 28, 2015, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
http://tonyortega.org/2015/08/28/wow-california-judge-orders-trial-to-determine-if-scientology-drugged-incoming-rehab-patients/

[Judge Edward Chen | Photo: Hillary Jones-Mixon]

On April 1, we told you about a class-action lawsuit that had been
filed against several of Scientology's drug rehab companies in
California. A judge has now ruled against Scientology in the lawsuit's
preliminary matters and has called for a trial that should put
explosive evidence in a courtroom - that Scientology's Narconon centers
get new patients high on whatever they're addicted to before they can
be admitted.

Two plaintiffs were named in the lawsuit; their attorneys planned for
there to be many more former Narconon patients suing the Scientology
rehab system. The plaintiffs, Nathan Burgoon of California and Caleb
Landers of Pennsylvania, each alleged what we've seen in so many other
lawsuits against the Scientology rehab centers: That they promise
individualized drug counseling delivered by medical professionals with
astounding success rates, and don't mention their connection to the
Church of Scientology. But after patients have paid around $30,000 up
front, they then learn that the Narconon program contains no drug
counseling at all, but instead delivers the same kind of introductory
exercises that a new member gets at a Scientology church.

Tags: Albion, Alex Gibney, Apple, Caleb Landers, California, Candice Tyler,
China, Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief, Indianapolis,
Jonathan Little, Judge Edward Chen, Luis and Rocio Garcia, Michigan,
Narconon, Narconon Freedom Center, Narconon lawsuits, Nathan Burgoon, Niacin,
Pennsylvania, Per Wickstrom, Quicky, Ryan Hamilton, San Francisco, Village
Voice

Today in Scientlology web page:
http://umbraxenu.no-ip.biz/today.html
August 28 in Scientlology web page: