Today in Scientology -- October 26th ***********************************************

Scientology Today

Oct 27, 2019, 10:44:57 AM10/27/19
Today October 26th in Scientology history

More Break-Ins Revealed In Scientology Spy Case
October 26, 1979, Timothy S. Robinson, Washington Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1979/10/26/more-break-ins-revealed-in-scientology-spy-case/23df4e47-53b1-42e2-b9ac-2e6a9e6da59a/?utm_term=.7b4d3c684ba4

Church of Scientology spies committed scores of break-ins at government
offices -- including those of the Department of Justice and the
Internal Revenue Service -- in Washington and elsewhere to obtain
secret files containing information about the church, according to
evidence in federal court here yesterday.

Church operatives also infiltrated governmnet agencies, such as the
Drug Enforcement Administration and the Coast Guard intelligence
service, to conduct their burglary, bugging and spying operation, the
evidence said.

The Scientologist burglars would be given awards for their performances
by the church, the evidence asserted.

Tags: 1974, American Medical Association, Arlington, Bob Jones University,
Burglary, Central Intelligence Agency, Drug Enforcement Administration,
England, FBI, Federal Trade Commission, Freedom of Information Act,
Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Internal Revenue Service, IRS, Judge
Charles Richey, Kenneth Whitman, Los Angeles, Mary Sue Hubbard, Moonies,
Quicky, St. Petersburg Times, Sun Myung Moon, Tax exempt, Unification Church,
US Coast Guard, US Department of Justice, US Department of Labor, US
Department of Treasury, US Postal Service, Washington

L Is for L. Ron
October 26, 2005, Kristen Hinman, Riverfront Times
https://www.riverfronttimes.com/2005-10-26/news/l-is-for-l-ron/full

In July 2003, a nonprofit called Applied Scholastics International
opened a spanking-new headquarters on 55 acres in Spanish Lake. Among
those who attended the festivities were U.S. Congressman William "Lacy"
Clay and actors Tom Cruise and Anne Archer.

Tags: Applied Scholastics, Bennetta Slaughter, David Touretzky, Mary Adams,
Missouri, Study Tech

Liberal MP stars in video promoting
October 26, 2005, Ottawa Citizen
http://www.canada.com/ottawa/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=a8fe6bd0-c284-47f4-95b0-072b9209ff96

Toronto-area MP Derek Lee appears in a recruiting video used by the
Church of Scientology to attract new members in the United States.

Some critics have denounced Scientology as a brainwashing cult that
harasses its opponents and exploits the vulnerable for financial gain.
But Mr. Lee says he supports some of the group's programs and is
particularly impressed by its approach to rehabilitating drug addicts.

"I'm way past the point of viewing them as just a cult," said Mr. Lee,
who is Roman Catholic and not a member of the Church of Scientology.
"My judgment is there are just too many good people in that faith doing
too many good things."

Tags: Breach of trust, Canada, Canada Revenue Agency, Derek Lee, Ottawa,
Second Chance, Toronto

37 ...defending the Celebrity Centre
October 26, 2009, Jonny Jacobsen, Infinite Complacency
http://infinitecomplacency.blogspot.com/2009/10/37-defending-celebrity-centre.html

June 17: The Celebrity Centre should not be convicted on the basis of
prejudice and preconceptions against Scientology, lawyer Patrick
Maisonneuve argued, as the trial drew to a close.

When Ma?tre Patrick Maisonneuve rose to speak for the Paris Celebrity
Centre (Association spirituelle de l'Eglise de Scientologie, ASES),
there was a certain expectation in the court.

Ma?tre Maisonneuve is what they call a tenor du barreau in France: a
star performer in court - and he has never been afraid of defending
controversial clients in high-profile cases.

Tags: 1980, 1988, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2006, 2008, 2010, Alain Rosenberg, Alain
Stoffen, Aude-Claire Malton, Australia, Austria, Catherine Picard, Catholic,
Celebrity Centre, Cour de Cassation, Daniel Zagury, England, Eric Roux,
European Court of Human Rights, France, Italy, Jean-Pierre Brard, Judge
Sophie-H?l?ne Ch?teau, Lyon, Maisonneuve, Moscow, Olivier Morice, Paris,
Patrick Maisonneuve, Personality test, Portugal, Quicky, Roger Gonnet, Rome,
Russia, Sabine Jacquart, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, UNADFI

'Crash' director cuts ties with Scientology, citing church's gay marriage
stand
October 26, 2009, Los Angeles Times
https://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/10/crash-director-cuts-ties-with-scientology-citing-churchs-gay-marriage-stand.html

A well-known Hollywood director has severed ties with the Church of
Scientology, citing in part the church's support for Proposition 8, the
ballot measure last year that banned same-sex marriage in California.

Tags: Paul Haggis, Proposition 8, Tommy Davis

Crash director Paul Haggis quits Church of Scientology over gay marriage
opposition
October 26, 2009, Matthew Moore, The Telegraph
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/6436548/Crash-director-Paul-Haggis-quits-Church-of-Scientology-over-gay-marriage-opposition.html

Haggis, whose 2005 film Crash won two Oscars, said that he could no
longer remain part "of an organisation where gay-bashing was tolerated".

In a lengthy resignation letter leaked to the press, Haggis attacked
the church's support for Proposition 8, which banned same-sex marriage
in California.

The letter was addressed to the church's official spokesman Tommy
Davis, accusing him of failing to act on promises to distance the
organisation from homophobic statements made by its San Diego branch
during debates over Proposition 8 last year.

Tags: 1953, 2005, ABC, California, Disconnection, Homophobia, L. Ron Hubbard,
Los Angeles, Martin Bashir, Nightline, Paul Haggis, Proposition 8, Quicky,
San Diego, Telegraph, Tommy Davis, Xenu

'Crash' Director Paul Haggis Quits Scientology Over Gay Marriage Stance
October 26, 2009, Associated Press, CBS News
http://cbs2.com/entertainment/paul.haggis.scientology.2.1272342.html

Haggis also said he was "shocked" that the Church of Scientology was
publicly denying that it adheres to a policy of disconnection -- of
severing ties with a friend or family member who's antagonistic toward
Scientology. Haggis said that his wife, Deborah Rennard, was given
precisely those orders and didn't speak to her parents for more than a
year.

Davis again disagreed with Haggis and said the church doesn't mandate
disconnection with anybody and that it was an entirely "self-determined
decision."

"The great majority of Scientologists I know are good people who are
genuinely interested in improving conditions on this planet and helping
others," Haggis wrote. "I have to believe that if they knew what I now
know, they too would be horrified."

Tags: Celebrity Centre, Disconnection, LGBTQ, Paul Haggis, Tommy Davis

David Miscavige's McBridge
October 26, 2009, Jefferson Hawkins, Leaving Scientology
https://leavingscientology.wordpress.com/2009/10/26/david-miscaviges-mcbridge/

Well, the first completion from Flag's Grades program has rolled off
the line, and is being touted all over LA as the poster child for David
Miscavige's new, faster-than-ever Grades. As you may have heard, all OT
Ambassadors have been given "mandatory" orders to select people to Flag
for their Grades. They have stiff quotas, and are being pounded to get
more people to Flag.

Never mind that this takes preclears from their local orgs, who are
already struggling to get by, with their course rooms and HGCs empty.
Never mind that it is the Orgs who are supposed to deliver Grades, and
then select them to the AOs and then to Flag. Never mind such a minor
thing as Bridge flow. No, don't think about those things - they have to
be gotten to Flag fast so they can be signed up fast, so they can get
through their Grades fast.

And exactly how are they getting them through their Grades so fast?
Well, because they are delivering Quad Grades, not Expanded Grades.
Yes, that's right, Quad Grades.

Tags: 1970, Clear, David Miscavige, Hubbard Communications Office Bulletin, L.
Ron Hubbard, OT Ambassador, Quicky

Paul Haggis Resigns From Scientology in Scathing Letter to Tommy Davis
October 26, 2009, Sheila Marikar, ABC News
https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/paul-haggis-resigns-scientology-scathing-letter-tommy-davis/story?id=8917275&singlePage=true

While many of Hollywood's elite have long adhered to Scientology, last
week, Oscar-winning director Paul Haggis broke rank, resigning from the
church in a scathing letter to Scientology spokesman Tommy Davis.

Tags: Disconnection, Paul Haggis, Tommy Davis

Scientologists in privilege claim
October 26, 2009, The Australian
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/archive/news/scientologists-in-privilege-claim/story-e6frg6oo-1225791165224

In his interim findings last week, Coroner John Lock said the
Scientology "audit" and "ethics" files sent to America "may very well
have had some information which could give the inquest some assistance
in determining what happened". But Ms Dunstan said Queensland police
had not sought the files until after the "mother church" in the US had
requested them. "The files were not sent to America for some 18 months
after Mr McBride's death and were freely available before then but
hadn't been requested," she said.

"Having been sent to America they were outside the jurisdiction of the
Queensland Coroner's Court and also outside the jurisdiction of the
Australian church.

Tags: Australia, Australian Defence Force, Edward McBride, John Lock, PC
folders, Priest-penitent privilege, Queensland, Queensland Coroner's Court,
Sydney, Vicki Dunstan

Taking on Scientology: Win after Win (Richard Woods)
October 26, 2009, SP4123105, YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMR1OAuGNFw

(partial interview uploaded from AnonForTruth)

Richard Woods speaks about the libel case he and Bonnie fought against
the Church of Scientology. They won, after a six year court battle.

For more information see: http://www.escapeint.org

Tags: Quicky, Richard Woods

Miscavige's people can't lie straight in bed
October 26, 2010, Marty Rathbun, Moving On Up a Little Higher
https://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2010/10/26/miscaviges-people-cant-lie-straight-in-bed/

By way of background, I refer to my post of 19 August on this blog:
https://markrathbun.wordpress.
com/2010/08/19/lying-in-miscaviges-70-million-bunker/

In that post I quoted excerpts from the July 2 deposition of Tommy
Davis that were lodged in the court file in the Headley cases. Since
then I received a copy of the entire transcript of the deposition. The
transcript reveals that Davis' prevaricating was far more blatant than
what was demonstrated by the then-available excerpts in the 19 August
post.

On July 2 of this year Thomas "Tommy" Davis swore under the pains and
penalties of perjury to tell Marc and Claire Headley's lawyers the
truth, and nothing but the truth.

Tags: Blow Drill, Claire Headley, David Miscavige, Hemet, John Brousseau,
Quicky, Religious Technology Center, Riverside County Sheriff, Sea Org,
Texas, Tommy Davis, Warren McShane

Ethicstrouble, San Francisco Scientology Defector, Taunts Church
October 26, 2011, Lauren Smiley, SF Weekly
https://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2011/10/scientology_defector_ethicstro.php

After a month-long silence, the self-professed Scientology member who
spoke with the SF Weekly about deciding the church was a cult has
posted a new message online -- virtually taunting the church for its
inability to figure out the identity of the apostate in its ranks.

"I have proven your inability to just find one mole. You trust me like
you trust that most of the staff is not Ethics Trouble," wrote the
apostate on a messageboard of the local Anonymous group, the masked
protesters who stage regular protests against the San Francisco church.
"This has played out better than I postulated. It's so perfect, I love
it."

Tags: Anonymous, Ethicstrouble, Jeff Quiros, San Francisco

Lloyd Kaufman on Scientology and South Park: Eric Sherman Did Ask Me about
Trey Parker and Matt Stone
October 26, 2011, Tony Ortega, Runnin' Scared, Village Voice
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/10/lloyd_kaufman_scientology_south_park.php

Kaufman (Credit: Gerald Lerner) UPDATE: Mark Ebner adds his own
confirmation of OSA activity with a similar leaked Scientology document.
Also, a private investigator describes sifting trash for the Church of
Scientology.

Just got off the phone with Troma Studios founder Lloyd Kaufman, who
says he's been getting a lot of calls since we reported this weekend
that he is mentioned in Scientology documents which detail a
retaliatory investigation of South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt
Stone.

In 2005, Parker and Stone aired "Trapped in the Closet," an episode of
South Park that deeply embarrassed Scientology by mocking its
upper-level teachings. By the spring of 2006, the formerly secret
documents suggest, Scientology's Office of Special Affairs was
overseeing a multi-pronged effort to retaliate against the animators by
researching their public records, digging through their trash, and
doing the same to their close friends and employees. In two different
documents, mention is also made that Kaufman was pumped for information
with the use of a longtime Scientologist and filmmaker named Eric
Sherman.

Tags: 2005, 2006, Eric Sherman, John Stamos, Lloyd Kaufman, Mark Ebner, Matt
Stone, Music, Office of Special Affairs, Private investigator, Quicky,
Rebecca Romijn, South Park, Tom Cruise, Trapped in the Closet, Trey Parker

South Park: OSA Operative's Role Confirmed
October 26, 2011, Marty Rathbun, Moving On Up a Little Higher
https://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2011/10/26/south-park-osa-operatives-role-confirmed/

references: South Park Part I, South Park Part II, South Park Part III

Thanks to the last investigative reporter in New York, confirmation
that the actions outlined in the OSA (Corporate Scientology's terror
and harassment arm the Office of Special Affairs) memoranda I published
in the above referenced posts have been confirmed by an independent
witness.

Tony "the last investigative reporter in NY" Ortega of the Village
Voice followed up on this particular OSA memorandum posted here three
days ago:

Tags: Eric Sherman, Lloyd Kaufman, Matt Stone, New York, Office of Special
Affairs, Quicky, South Park, Trey Parker, Village Voice

A Talk To OSA Staff
October 26, 2012, Marty Rathbun, Moving On Up a Little Higher
https://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2012/10/25/a-talk-to-osa-staff/

This is a direct appeal to reason addressed to each and every OSA
(Office of Special Affairs) staff member:

TRANSCRIPT:

TRANSCRIPT:

Tags: Command Intention, Daniel Montalvo, David Miscavige, Ethics, Ethics
Officer, Ingleside, Kendrick Moxon, L. Ron Hubbard, Office of Special
Affairs, Quicky

Drugs, Death And Scientology
October 26, 2012, Christopher Zara, International Business Times
https://www.ibtimes.com/scientology-rehab-big-legal-trouble-drugs-death-l-ron-hubbard-854852

Attorneys for Shirley Gilliam, whose son died at the Narconon Arrowhead
center in eastern Oklahoma last October, filed a wrongful death lawsuit
on Wednesday. According to the lawsuit, her 32-year-old son, Gabriel
Graves, was a patient at the facility when he was found face down and
unresponsive in his bed. A heroin addict suffering severe withdrawal
symptoms, he had complained of headaches and vomiting but was denied
pain medicine or access to a doctor before he died, according to the
suit.

Tags: CARF, Gabriel Graves, Gary Richards, Gary Smith, Hillary Holten,
Narconon, Narconon Arrowhead, Oklahoma, Oklahoma Department of Mental Health
and Substance Abuse Services, Shirley Gilliam, Stacy Murphy

Scientology on the High Seas: Vixie, Vitamins, and Satan Worshippers
October 26, 2012, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
https://tonyortega.org/2012/10/26/scientology-on-the-high-seas-2/

Friday mornings is when we look back at Scientology history, and we're
now winding down with our last couple of weeks of dispatches from the
yacht Apollo.

From 1967 to 1975, L. Ron Hubbard ran Scientology from a small armada
of ships that sailed the Mediterranean and the Atlantic. Each day, he'd
send out a report to his crew which were known as "Orders of the Day."
We have a mostly complete set of them from late 1968 through 1971 that
we've been sampling, week after week since last November.

So join us as we take a look at what the Commodore was raving about
during that time the week of October 21 to 27...

Tags: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1975, Apollo, FDA, L. Ron Hubbard,
Mediterranean, Orders of the Day, Pope, Quicky, US Department of Justice,
Vixie

Fact v. Fiction: A Tale of Two Websites
October 26, 2013, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
https://www.mikerindersblog.org/fact-v-fiction-a-tale-of-two-websites/

I don't normally follow statistics concerning this blog, as I am not
trying to generate ad revenue (there are no ads:)). I provide this
forum as a public service that I hope gets out information that might
otherwise not see the light of day from within the bowels of the bubble.

But the irrepressible Karen De La Carriere sent this to me yesterday
and called me up and told me it was good news that people should know.

I felt it was worth noting, not to beat my own drum, but to give hope
to those of you who await the day when you may be reunited with friends
or family who have been victim of the non-existent disconnection policy.
Or to those who still have friends or family who are turning over hard
earned income that would be better used for their children's education.
Or those of you who just want to see people able to think for
themselves instead of being inculcated into the idea that by thinking
what they are told by the church they ARE thinking.

Tags: 1993, Dan Sherman, Disconnection, Google, Karen de la Carriere,
Narconon, OT, Quicky, Tommy Davis, WISE

Graduation from Scientology
October 26, 2013, Marty Rathbun, Moving On Up a Little Higher
https://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2013/10/26/graduation-from-scientology/

An alternate route to graduation from Scientology:

If you want to know what is wrong with Scientology, read What is Wrong
With Scientology? (2012, Amazon Books)

If you want to know how that which is wrong with Scientology came about
and why, read Memoirs of a Scientology Warrior (2013, Amazon Books)

Tags: 2012, Amazon, Memoirs of a Scientology Warrior, Quicky

Jon Atack Considers L. Ron Hubbard's Tangled Relationship With Mind-Altering
Substances
October 26, 2013, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
https://tonyortega.org/2013/10/26/jon-atack-considers-l-ron-hubbards-tangled-relationship-with-mind-altering-substances/

Jon Atack is the author of A Piece of Blue Sky, one of the very best
books on L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology. He has a new edition of the
book for sale, and on Saturdays he's helping us sift through the
legends, myths, and contested facts about Scientology that tend to get
hashed and rehashed in books, articles, and especially on the Internet.

Jon, you've previously made some references to L. Ron Hubbard and drug
use. But this week you wanted to take a closer look at what the man had
to say about mind-altering substances and relate it to his development
of Scientology. We figure we're in for another wild ride, so take it
away.

JON: Scientology promotes itself as utterly anti-drug, yet this was by
no means the attitude of the Founder, who was much more in line with
current, progressive "harm reduction" ideas. In 2010, the prestigious
medical journal The Lancet published the largest survey of the social
and individual harms of drugs to date, which concluded that the most
dangerous drug in our society is alcohol. No one at Narconon or Say No
to Drugs jumped up to point out that this reflected their own
ideologue's policy, but here it is, as stated in his 1950 work,
Dianetics: the Modern Science of Mental Health:

Tags: 1938, 1945, 1950, 1965, 2009, 2010, 2011, A History of Man, A Piece of
Blue Sky, Aleister Crowley, Christian, Cuba, David Miscavige, DC, Dianetics,
East Grinstead, Excalibur, Founding Church, Guardian's Office, Haiti,
Hospital, Independent, Jon Atack, Kima Douglas, La Quinta, LSD, Marty
Rathbun, Mental Health, Narconon, Oak Knoll, PZ Myers, Quicky, Richard de
Mille, Ron DeWolf, Say No to Drugs, Science of Survival, Spiegel, Texas,
Washington, William Sargant

Sandy Springs warns Church of Scientology to clean up abandoned building
October 26, 2013, WSBTV
https://www.wsbtv.com/videos/news/sandy-springs-warns-church-of-scientology-to-clean/vCDz6h/

Sandy Springs warns Church of Scientology to clean up abandoned building.

Tags: Sandy Springs

On David Miscavige's Behavior
October 26, 2014, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
https://www.mikerindersblog.org/on-david-miscaviges-behavior/

Another in what will be an ongoing, if sporadic, series of reposting
earlier important posts.

I originally wrote this for Marty's blog way back in January 2010 and
then republished on my blog on April 6, 2013. My perspective on things
has changed a lot since then, and I would add that today, I consider
David Miscavige to be even more accurately described in Martha Stout's
book The Sociopath Next Door.

However, this was originally written against the criteria described by
L. Ron Hubbard in 1953. I still find the analysis useful, and for those
who like to use the words of L. Ron Hubbard to gauge the world, it is a
useful framework through which to observe the leader of scientology.

Tags: 1953, 2010, 2013, David Miscavige, Disconnection, L. Ron Hubbard, Marty
Rathbun, Quicky, Ray Mithoff, Religious Technology Center, Sea Org, Shelly
Miscavige, Super Power, Suppressive Person, Telluride, The Hole, Tom Cruise

Sunday Funnies: Scientology needs your money more than ever!
October 26, 2014, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
https://tonyortega.org/2014/10/26/sunday-funnies-scientology-needs-your-money-more-than-ever/

It's time for another installment of Sunday Funnies, as we turn over to
our readers the Scientology fundraising fliers that we've been
forwarded by our great tipsters during the week.

We're always amazed to see how many interesting things our sharp
readers are able to pull out of these church mailers. They've provided
us a pretty detailed record of Scientology's fortunes over the past few
years.

We'll start this week with more evidence of a trend we mentioned
recently. We had noticed that increasingly, Scientology events are
charging pretty stiff prices up front, something we rarely saw them do
in the past.

Tags: ARC Straightwire, Atlanta, Carla Moxon, Fort Harrison, Freedom Medal,
Ideal Org, International Association of Scientologists, Jezhael Lopez,
Jonathan Mauerer, Kaylene Prestidge, Las Vegas, Nerve Assist, Paul Seymour,
Renaissance Speakers, Russia, Rusty Logan, Sacramento, Silicon Valley, Sunday
Funnies, Sydney, Toastmasters, Toronto, Trish Duggan

Antivaccinationists and the Nation of Islam protest in front of the CDC, but
don't you dare call them "antivaccine"
October 26, 2015, David Gorski, Science-Based Medicine
https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/antivaccinationists-and-the-nation-of-islam-protest-in-front-of-the-cdc-but-dont-you-dare-call-them-antivaccine/

Fast forward to this summer. In the wake of the Disneyland measles
outbreak, California was on the way towards passing SB 277, a bill (now
law) that eliminated nonmedical exemptions to school and day care
vaccine mandates. It was at this time that the antivaccine movement in
California and Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. cozied up with the Nation of
Islam to help oppose SB 277 by using images of the Tuskegee syphilis
experiment and invoking the "CDC whistleblower" to convince Minister
Tony Muhammed and Minister Louis Farrakhan that the CDC was covering up
a link between MMR vaccination and autism in African American boys.
Brian Hooker and RFK, Jr. even spoke at a Nation of Islam event held at
a Church of Scientology public center. (In recent years, the Nation of
Islam has more or less become a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Church
of Scientology. At the very least, there is a close relationship now.)

Fast forward to this weekend. The "fruits" (if you can call them that)
of the alliance between RFK, Jr. (and other antivaccine groups) and the
Nation of Islam were on display in Atlanta for all to see.

Tags: 1930, 1986, 1989, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012,
2013, 2014, Andrew Wakefield, Anti-vaxx, Atlanta, Autism, Bill Maher, Brian
Hooker, California, Critic, Dan Burton, DC, Elijah Muhammad, Jenny McCarthy,
Jim Carrey, Louis Farrakhan, Nation of Islam, Oakland, Philadelphia,
Politics, Pulitzer Prize, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Tony Muhammad, University of
Pennsylvania, Whistleblower

Scientology cries religious discrimination in appeal brief filed in Maryland
zoning fight
October 26, 2015, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
https://tonyortega.org/2015/10/26/scientology-cries-religious-discrimination-in-appeal-brief-filed-in-maryland-zoning-fight/

In June, Scientology suffered an embarrassing defeat courtesy of the
Frederick County Council in Maryland. You probably remember the drama
as the council denied Scientology's request that a 40-acre parcel of
land it had purchased in 2013, known as "Trout Run," be put on the
county's list of historic places. Why did Scientology care that a
decrepit fish camp in rural Maryland be designated a historic site?
Because it wants to turn the place into a tiny, 20-bed drug rehab group
home for its Narconon network, and the only way it can get the zoning
it needs is through the parcel being put on the list of historic
locations.

But in a 6-1 vote, the council decided that Trout Run wasn't so
historic, and left it off the list.

Scientology notified the county that it was going to appeal the
decision by petitioning for a judicial review of that shellacking by
the county council, and now we have the appeal brief that Scientology's
attorneys recently submitted. We're looking forward to you giving us
your thoughts on this intriguing document.

Tags: 2011, 2012, 2013, Australia, California, Canada, David Miscavige, DC,
Frederick County, Frederick County Council, Larry Hagman, Maryland, Narconon,
NBC, Ojai, Oklahoma, Quicky, Review, Rock Center, Social Betterment
Properties International, Trout Run, Washington

Super Hyper Power
October 26, 2015, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
https://www.mikerindersblog.org/super-hyper-power/

These emails get stranger and stranger.

Don't these people ever notice the contradictions in their statements?

Call on me, so that I can help you convert that money into something
really valuable and long-lasting...

Tags: 1950, 1957, 1960, 1975, 2013, Chairman of the Board, Clear, Flag
Building, Ideal Org, L. Ron Hubbard, OT, OT V, Perception Rundown, Quicky,
Sandy Dodwell, Sea Org, Super Power

Tom Cruise's high-profile status with Church of Scientology influenced
actress Leah Remini's decision to leave church: report
October 26, 2015, Nicole Hensley, New York Daily News
https://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/leah-remini-cites-tom-cruise-reason-scientology-exit-article-1.2411134

Two years after Leah Remini cut ties with the Church of Scientology,
the "King of Queens" actress has revealed that Tom Cruise was at the
root of her decision.

Remini initially cited wanting more time with her daughter, Sofia, as
one reason for leaving the church, but never elaborated on the "dozens"
of other reasons that prompted her 2013 departure. Cruise, the church's
highest profile believer and "Mission Impossible" actor, was apparently
one of those reasons.

"Being critical of Tom Cruise is being critical of Scientology itself ..
. you are evil," Remini told ABC New 20/20.

Tags: 2013, Leah Remini, Tom Cruise

Ron says....
October 26, 2016, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
https://www.mikerindersblog.org/ron-says/

Yowza - they actually picked this quote out to publish it?

This isn't very complimentary about children and frankly, does not make
a whole lot of sense. If the cause of all this terribleness is their
reactive mind, why should it be worse when they are children? How does
your reactive mind alleviate itself as you grow older if you don't have
auditing?

Whether L. Ron Hubbard loved or hated children (he certainly fathered
plenty - but didn't seem to fare too well raising them...) this yet
again demonstrates the mindless robotism prevalent in scientology.
Because L. Ron Hubbard said something it must be good. And should be
promoted and presented as if everyone should think it is wonderful.

Tags: L. Ron Hubbard, Mace-Kingsley Family Center, OT, Quicky

Sister of L.A. Scientologist arrested for Muslim threats was Don Trump Jr's
executive assistant
October 26, 2016, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
https://tonyortega.org/2016/10/26/sister-of-la-scientologist-arrested-for-muslim-threats-was-don-trump-jrs-executive-assistant/

(Katherine Feigin and Trump Winery manager Kerry Hannon Woolard working
at Trump Tower)

"I'm not a Scientologist. I don't have a gun. I'm a Democrat. I'm not
part of this craziness at all," Katherine Feigin told us tonight after
we discovered that she had worked for Donald Trump Jr as his executive
and personal assistant from 2014 to 2015.

Katherine's brother, Mark Feigin, is a Los Angeles Scientologist who
was arrested on October 19 by the LAPD for calling in death threats to
the Islamic Center of Southern California, threats that were all the
more serious because in his home he had a large arsenal of firearms and
thousands of rounds of ammunition. Mark Feigin is facing charges of
criminal threats and committing a hate crime, and his arsenal, combined
with his hateful online messages about engaging in a civil war if
Hillary Clinton wins next month's election, suggested to many observers
that a potential disaster had been averted.

Tags: 2002, 2003, 2004, 2014, 2015, California, Clear, Daniel Perlman, Donald
Trump, Eric Trump, Facebook, Hillary Clinton, Internet Archive, Katherine
Feigin, LAPD, Los Angeles, Mark Feigin, Muslim, New York, Poland, Quicky,
Republican, Russia, Suppressive Person, Twitter

Trump supporter arrested for threatening to kill Muslims at L.A. Islamic
center is a Scientologist
October 26, 2016, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
https://tonyortega.org/2016/10/26/trump-supporter-arrested-for-threatening-to-kill-muslims-at-l-a-islamic-center-is-a-scientologist/

The Los Angeles Police Department revealed yesterday that it had
arrested a 40-year-old man named Mark Lucian Feigin on October 19 for
making two calls to the Islamic Center of Southern California and
threatening to kill people there. A search at Feigin's home turned up a
large arsenal of rifles and ammunition, and police also released tweets
and Facebook posts by Feigin that contained disturbing threats against
Muslims.

But Feigin has another secret that the police and the media hasn't
talked about yet: He's been a Scientologist since 2004.

We received tips from two readers, one of whom knows Feigin personally,
that Mark Feigin is the same man who is listed in Scientology's
publications as taking courses in 2004, and who has posted online
statements about his involvement in the church in the years since then.

Tags: 2004, 2007, 2008, 2012, Arizona, Beverly Hills Playhouse, Bill Clinton,
California, Carnegie Mellon, Chinese, Critic, Dana Kennedy, Daniel Perlman,
David Touretzky, Donald Trump, Facebook, Hollywood, Hollywood Reporter,
Horace Frank, Kristi Wachter, LAPD, Los Angeles, Los Angeles Times, Mark
Feigin, Milton Katselas, Muslim, NBC, Police, Quicky, Russia, Santa Barbara,
Twitter, White House

Leaving Scientology, Waking Up To The American Nightmare
October 26, 2017, Peter Nyiri, The Sea Organization
https://seaorganization.org/leaving-scientology-waking-up-into-the-american-nightmare/

Leaving A World In A Bubble Isn't Easy

In case you never read my previous posts, I spent 20 years in
Scientology's top level restricted "religious order", the Sea
Organization.

I know this post will probably be shared in other areas and therefore
it is written in such a language that anyone will understand.

Tags: 1999, 2016, Aruba, Cockroach, Copyright, Craigslist, eBay, Facebook,
Freewinds, Google, Lawyer, Leaving Scientology, Legal, Miami, Nigeria, OT,
Panama, Panama City, Passport, Quicky, Real estate, San Jose, Sarasota, Scam,
Sea Org, Washington

Mirriam Francis: Picturing Scientology parents who abandon their children to
abuse
October 26, 2017, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
https://tonyortega.org/2017/10/26/mirriam-francis-picturing-scientology-parents-who-abandon-their-children-to-abuse/

Leah Remini's second season of Scientology and the Aftermath started
off with a hammer blow to the church - a devastating episode about
child molestation in Scientology that was condoned and covered up.

One of the women featured in that episode, Mirriam Francis, described
what it was like to have a mother so dedicated to Scientology that even
in 2013 she would not lift a finger to help Mirriam try to get justice
after being assaulted for years by her own father.

Mirriam reached out to us this week to tell us that she has an awful
coda to that story. She found a photograph, and it tells her even more
about how she was victimized. Here's what she sent us.

Tags: 2011, 2013, Alex Gibney, Australia, Florida, GoFundMe, Going Clear:
Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief, Golden Era Productions,
Hemet, Int Base, L. Ron Hubbard, Lawrence Wright, Leah Remini, Los Angeles,
Mexico City, Mike Rinder, Mirriam Francis, Nick Lister, Quicky, Sara
Goldberg, Scientology and the Aftermath, Sea Org, Suppressive Person, Tom
Cruise, Whole Track, YouTube

Scientology News and Changes with Aaron Smith-Levin
October 26, 2017, Chris Shelton, Critical Thinker at Large
https://mncriticalthinking.com/2017/10/26/news-changes-world-scientology/

In my recent trip to Australia, I learned a few things about what is
going on in the world of Scientology and the Sea Org. In this video,
former Scientologist Aaron Smith-Levin and I discuss these changes, why
we believe they are being made and what consequences these could have
on the future of the Church and our activism.

Tags: Aaron Smith-Levin, Australia, Quicky, Sea Org

Thursday Funnies
October 26, 2017, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
https://www.mikerindersblog.org/thursday-funnies-143/

Recovering Your Infinity of Future...

So weird. And this is apparently an "OT" doing this at ASHO...

The Future of Mankind...

Tags: 2016, Africa, Anonymous, ASHO, Bobby Wiggins, Canada, Clear, Freedom
Medal, Halloween, International Association of Scientologists, Lisa
McPherson, Medical, Narconon, Orlando, OT, OT III, OT VII, Quicky, Thursday
Funnies, Tom Cruise

Admit he was poisoned, family of Steve Fobister Sr. demands of federal,
Ontario governments
October 26, 2018, Matt Prokopchuk, CBC News
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/steve-fobister-mercury-poisoning-1.4877934

The family of former Grassy Narrows First Nation Chief Steve Fobister
Sr. is demanding that federal and Ontario government officials
acknowledge that Fobister died from mercury poisoning brought on by
industrial dumping into the English-Wabigoon River System.

Fobister's family announced Friday morning they're calling on Ontario's
chief coroner to call "an inquiry into the cause of his illness and
death."

Fobister, who also served as the Grand Chief of Grand Council Treaty 3,
and who was celebrated for being an advocate and environmentalist, died
Oct. 11 at the age of 66. His family said he died after "a protracted
battle with a degenerative neurological disease in his body."

Tags: 1960, 1970, 2014, Canadian Press, Charlie Angus, Chris Young, Christine
Elliott, DougWiki, Environmental, First Nations, Grassy Narrows, Indigenous,
Jane Philpott, Justin Trudeau, Kiiwetinoong, Mercury, Mercury Disability
Board, Mercury poisoning, Minamata Disease, New Democratic Party, Ontario,
Ontario Disability Support Program, Ontario Health, Progressive Conservative,
Queen's Park, Reed Paper, Sol Mamakwa, Steve Fobister, Timmins, Todd Smith,
Toronto

Family calls for inquest into death of former Grassy Narrows First Nation
chief Steve Fobister
October 26, 2018, Global News
https://globalnews.ca/news/4599114/inquest-grassy-narrows-first-nation-chief-steve-fobister/

TORONTO ? The family of a former chief of an Ontario First Nation
plagued by a mercury-contaminated river is calling for an inquest into
his death.

Relatives of Steve Fobister Sr., the former chief of the Grassy Narrows
First Nation who died this month, say the probe would prove his death
was a result of long-term mercury poisoning.

They are also calling on both Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and
Ontario's health minister to acknowledge that Fobister was poisoned by
mercury.

Tags: 1960, DougWiki, First Nations, Grassy Narrows, Justin Trudeau, Mercury
poisoning, Ontario, Steve Fobister, Todd Smith

Ontario's no-health care-for-terrorists bill is nonsense at its best
October 26, 2018, Chris Selley, National Post
https://nationalpost.com/opinion/chris-selley-ontarios-no-health-care-for-terrorists-bill-is-nonsense-at-its-best

The Ontario government wants to make convicted terrorists ineligible
for licences to drive, hunt and fish, for public health insurance, for
housing and income assistance, for student loans, and to parent their
own children. It wants to do this because Prime Minister Justin Trudeau
is soft on terrorism - specifically on the question of Canadians
returning home after fighting for ISIL.

"I am disgusted that the federal government is not dealing with this,"
Progressive Conservative MPP Dave Smith told reporters this week. "What
we're doing is we are taking away privileges from criminals."

"If you leave Canada to go fight for ISIS, you should not be welcomed
back with open arms," Premier Doug Ford tweeted. "Since Justin Trudeau
doesn't seem to take this seriously, (Smith) is taking action to send a
message that there are consequences for leaving Ontario to commit
indefensible crimes."

Tags: 2015, Canada, Canadian Constitution Foundation, Caroline Mulroney,
Criminal, Cult, Dave Smith, Doug Ford, DougWiki, Justin Trudeau, Legal,
Ontario, Progressive Conservative, Quicky, Syria, Terrorist, Twitter

Regraded Being
October 26, 2018, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
https://www.mikerindersblog.org/friday-regraded-being-168/

Tags: Quicky, Regraded Being

Scientology Ghosts and Spooks
October 26, 2018, Chris Shelton, Critical Thinker at Large
https://mncriticalthinking.com/2018/10/25/scientology-ghosts-and-spooks/

Hey everyone, so with Halloween right around the corner, I thought it
might be timely to talk about ghosts in Scientology. L. Ron Hubbard had
a few things to say over the years about ghosts, or spiritual entities
he referred to as thetans. In the world of Scientology, we are all not
really our bodies but we are actually thetans who just inhabit and use
bodies the same way that we put on and take off clothing, except of
course that our bodies last for decades instead of just a day or two.

When I was in Scientology, I never had an out-of-body experience where
I could see myself from the corner of the room and I never floated off
and traveled around the city or country, as some Scientologists told me
they had done. I was raised with the idea that we have a spiritual
existence outside the realm of the physical universe and I just never
even questioned Hubbard's statements about it. Had I done so, I might
have seen that some of his claims about it are a little far-fetched.

Now none of these ghost stories are particularly scary. What they
really show is how you can build an entire philosophy and religion
around nothing more than an assumption. Just look at how much time and
effort and trouble has been experienced by Scientologists and former
Scientologists over the years, and how all of it basically sprang from
a simple but wholly unprovable assumption. But don't take my word for
that. Here's Hubbard:

Tags: 1950, 1951, 1954, 1955, 1958, 1959, Aleister Crowley, Axioms, Bavaria,
California, Clear, Copyright, Critic, Cult, Dianetics, Facebook, Halloween,
Jack Parsons, James Randi, Phoenix, Quicky, Reddit, Scientology 8-80,
Scientology: A to Xenu, Skeptics, Sussex, Tony Ortega, Twitter, YouTube

What the Australian press can't say about James Packer and his Scientology
adventure
October 26, 2018, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
https://tonyortega.org/2018/10/26/what-the-australian-press-cant-say-about-james-packer-and-his-scientology-adventure/

You may have been seeing stories out of Australia about actor Tom
Cruise and an Australian billionaire named James Packer. These stories
caught us by surprise for two reasons.

1: Most of what's in them was already covered by Steve Cannane in his
excellent 2016 book Fair Game.

And 2: All of the stories are missing the single most interesting thing
about the Packer-Cruise friendship, in part because of Australian law.

We're not bound by that law, so we're going to tell you that piece
they're leaving out, but first we need to set the table a bit.

Tags: 2001, 2006, 2013, 2016, Australia, Bernard Fialkoff, Brett Ratner,
China, Fair Game, Foundation for a Drug-Free World, Hollywood, James Packer,
Katie Holmes, Kerry Packer, Las Vegas, Mariah Carey, Narconon, Narconon
Arrowhead, Oklahoma, Queens, Santa Monica, Sea Org, Steve Cannane, Thom
Knoles, Tom Barrack, Tom Cruise, Tommy Davis

#WhyScheerLost Is Trending On Twitter & It's Being Used To Roast Andrew Scheer
October 26, 2019, Lisa Belmonte, Narcity
https://www.narcity.com/news/ca/whyscheerlost-is-a-trending-topic-on-twitter-and-the-tweets-are-ruthless

Canadians are stereotyped as being nice, kind people. And while that's
definitely true in some cases, that doesn't stop people from taking the
opportunity to roast politicians. #WhyScheerLost is a trending topic on
Twitter and the tweets are ruthless.

Canadians are taking to Twitter to give their reasons as to why they
think Scheer lost the federal election on October 21. #WhyScheerLost is
trending as people continue to tweet about Canada's election results.

And people are taking the opportunity to roast Scheer for his politics,
his campaign and his opinions.

Tags: Andrew Scheer, Canada, Conservative Party of Canada, DougWiki,
Elizabeth May, Federal election, Justin Trudeau, Twitter

At Least 20 Billionaires Behind 'Dark Money' Group That Opposed Obama
October 26, 2019, Michela Tindera, Forbes
https://www.forbes.com/sites/michelatindera/2019/10/26/at-least-20-billionaires-behind-dark-money-group-that-opposed-obama/amp/

A nonprofit group with a bland name, Americans for Job Security, spent
$5 million supporting Republicans in the 2010 midterms and $15 million
denouncing former President Obama in the 2012 election, but until this
week, the group never had to file disclosures showing where its money
was coming from.

"This is the first time in the Citizens United-era that a dark money
group was forced to disclose their donors in a certain time period,"
said Jordan Libowitz, a spokersperson for nonprofit watchdog group
Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, referring to the
2010 Supreme Court case that wiped away previous restrictions on
political spending.

Americans for Job Security had previously claimed it was not a
political organization and therefore did not have to disclose its
donors. But after years of litigation, CREW convinced the Federal
Election Commission otherwise. AJS filed a list of its backers and
beneficiaries from 2010 to 2012 on Thursday.

Tags: (John Morris, 2010, 2012, 2013, Alt-Right, Americans for Job Security,
Apollo, California, Charles Schwab, Citizens United, Court case, Dan Wilks,
Dennis Washington, DeVos Foundation, Donald Trump, Doris Fisher, Ethics,
Farris Wilks, Federal Election Commission, Helen DeVos, Houston, Leon Black,
Linda McMahon, Montana, New York, Republican, Richard DeVos, Richard Kinder,
Robert McNair, Steve Wynn, Texas, Vince McMahon, Washington

CNN on Clearwater & More from the Tampa Bay Times
October 26, 2019, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
https://www.mikerindersblog.org/cnn-on-clearwater-more-from-the-tampa-bay-times/

Earlier today I chatted briefly with Michael Smerconish on CNN.
Unfortunately, there is no embed code for the video so you have to
click HERE to watch it.

It was a VERY short piece, not really enough time to explain such
complex issues, but it is good to see national media paying some
attention to this issue. Hopefully more media outlets than just the
Tampa Bay Times will want to dig in to this.

Tracey McManus also published a new story concerning community reaction
to middle-of-the-night distribution of Freedom magazines. As usual, the
glossy hype of scientology's PR effort does nothing but worsen the
public perception of scientology. It is reminiscent of the Freedom they
put out after the Truth Rundown series that caused many scientologists
at the time to jump ship.

Tags: City of Clearwater, Clearwater, CNN, Facebook, First Amendment, Freedom
magazine, IRS, Private investigator, Quicky, Tampa Bay Times, Tax exempt,
Tracey McManus, Truth Rundown, Twitter

Full court press: Scientologists have been busy in the halls of justice lately
October 26, 2019, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
https://tonyortega.org/2019/10/26/full-court-press-scientologists-have-been-busy-in-the-halls-of-justice-lately/

What a few weeks it's been here in the Bunker for coverage of
Scientology legal matters. Jeffrey Augustine was in court for us again
yesterday, and so we thought we'd catch up with him and all that he's
been doing for us lately.

The Bunker: So Jeffrey, we are grateful for the on-the-scene reporting
you've been doing. Just great work. And yesterday, we were looking
forward to another day in court. It was scheduled to be the first
actual hearing of any kind in the Valerie Haney lawsuit - just a
procedural hearing so Valerie's out-of-state attorneys could be
admitted in the local court. But that's not what happened, is it?

Jeffrey: No. What happened is that the lawsuit was apparently filed in
the wrong department. It was moved to another department and will be
assigned to another courtroom. This was simply a procedural error.

Tags: 1951, 2011, 2015, 2018, California, Canada, David Gentile, Europe, GPB
Capital Holdings, Hanan Islam, Jay Spina, Jeffrey Augustine, Jeffrey Spina,
Medi-Cal, Medicare, Michael Cohn, Narconon, Nation of Islam, New York,
Securities and Exchange Commission, Truth About Drugs, US Attorney's Office,
Valerie Haney, Washington, World Literacy Crusade

Scientology Attempting to Revise Clearwater History
October 26, 2019, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
https://www.mikerindersblog.org/scientology-attempting-to-revise-clearwater-history/

After Tracey McManus' bombshell article dropped on 20 October,
scientology immediately began their efforts to revise history. The next
day, Freedom magazines started popping up all over the city. I wrote an
article addressing some of the falsehoods Scientology BS Grows Deeper

Then they began trying to make a dent in the social media world to cast
the article as a bigoted assault on scientology and highlight the
wonderful contributions they make to Clearwater. Freedom magazine has a
twitter account @Freedommag and on October 21 they began sending out
tweets.

This is the tweet that is pinned to their page:

Tags: 1990, Clearwater, CNN, David Miscavige, Facebook, Fort Harrison,
Freedom magazine, IRS, Oak Cove, OT, Quicky, Ruth Eckerd Hall, Tracey
McManus, Twitter

Wexiteers are the new pawns for Canadian conservative leaders
October 26, 2019, Bartley Kives, CBC News
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-canada-wexit-analysis-1.5335328

When 52 members of the Reform Party of Canada stormed into Parliament
in 1993, the rallying cry for Preston Manning's political movement was
"the West wants in."

A quarter of a century later, vocal elements in Alberta and
Saskatchewan insist the West actually wants to bail on Confederation.

Anger toward Ottawa runs so deep in oil, potash and canola country,
advocates for western separatism are amassing support on social media.

Tags: 1980, 1993, 1995, Alberta, Andrew Scheer, Austin, Canada, Carbon tax,
CBC, DougWiki, Facebook, Jason Kenney, Justin Trudeau, Manitoba, Ontario New
Democratic Party, Ottawa, Pierre Trudeau, Preston Manning, Quebec, Reform
Party, Russia, Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Scott Moe, Stephen Harper, Wexit

Today in Scientlology web page:
http://umbraxenu.no-ip.biz/today.html
October 26 in Scientlology web page:
http://umbraxenu.no-ip.biz/days/10-26.html