Today in Scientology -- December 3rd ********************

Scientology Today

Dec 4, 2016, 12:04:17 AM12/4/16
Today December 3rd in Scientology history

Presses roll after ruling on Scientology book
December 3, 1987, Paul Bilodeau, Toronto Star
http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/thestar/doc/435694462.html?FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT

Cathia Riley said Bare-Faced Messiah: The True Story Of [L. Ron
Hubbard] by British author Russell Miller, is "simply an attempt to
capitalize" on Hubbard's popularity because his book sales number in
the millions.

"The favorable ruling by the (court) supports our position that
Bare-Faced Messiah deserves to be published in the country," he said.
"The court's decision is to be applauded."

"Our church is a religion," she added. "It is not a cult, and L. Ron
Hubbard is a great religious leader. There is an anti-religious
movement that likes to attack religions under the heading of 'cults.'
You start there and move on to attack other religions."

Tags: Bare-Faced Messiah, Canada, Cathia Riley, Free Speech, Russell Miller

Scientologists sue Pinellas again over property taxes
December 3, 1987, St. Petersburg Times
http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes/access/50164565.html?dids=50164565:50164565&FMT=FT

The Church of Scientology updated its battle with Pinellas County on
Wednesday, filing a lawsuit for the sixth consecutive year to challenge
the county's tax assessments on its properties.

The Church of Scientology Flag Service Organization contends that it is
a non-profit, religious group that should be entitled to tax-exempt
status, according to the suit filed Wednesday in Pinellas-Pasco Circuit
Court.

Tags: 1982, Clearwater, Flag Service Organization, Pinellas County, Property
tax, Ronald Schultz

Jury Rejects Lawsuit Over Talk Show Segment
December 3, 1993, Associated Press
http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1993/Jury-Rejects-Lawsuit-Over-Talk-Show-Segment/id-6a575ea6efe99c1345b202c2551beb9c

ANN ARBOR, MICH. ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) _ A jury Thursday rejected a
lawsuit that accused Sally Jessy Raphael and her talk show of invading
the privacy of a Church of Scientology member who was secretly taped.

The Circuit Court lawsuit sought $72 million for Dorothy Dickerson,
saying her comments broadcast on the show in 1991 made her look foolish.

Two of Dickerson's daughters appeared on the show, saying the church
brainwashed their mother. One of the daughters secretly recorded a
conversation with her mother. Dickerson, 61, was heard on the show
saying she makes only $5,000 a year and loves washing dishes for the
church.

Tags: 1991, Dorothy Dickerson, Lawsuit, Quicky, Sally Jessy Raphael

Scientologists, protesters keep their distance
December 3, 2000, Deborah O'Neil, St. Petersburg Times
http://www.sptimes.com/News/120300/TampaBay/Scientologists__prote.shtml

By noon, about 30 protesters had gathered across the street from the
church's Fort Harrison Hotel with anti-Scientology T-shirts, camcorders
and picket signs with messages critical of the church.

The protesters say they hold the demonstration this time of year to
commemorate Lisa McPherson, the 36-year-old Scientologist who died Dec.
5, 1995, after a 17-day stay at the Fort Harrison Hotel. The
demonstration, the sixth, will continue today from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Tags: 1995, Ben Shaw, California, Clearwater, Clearwater Police Department,
Cleveland Street, Don Hall, Europe, Fort Harrison, Lisa McPherson, Mark
Dallara, Police, Tampa, Tory Christman

Dublin woman sues Scientology church
December 3, 2002, RTE News
http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/1203/scientology.html

A Dublin woman who claims she was controlled by a cult has begun a High
Court legal action for damages.

40-year-old sports shop owner Mary Johnson from Westwood, Foxrock, was
a member of the Church of Scientology for two years between 1992 and
1994.

She is now suing the organisation because of the experiences and
pressures she claims she suffered while a member and the threats and
intimidation when she tried to leave.

Tags: Dublin, Ireland, Mary Johnston, Sean Ryan

Man wants to make his home a church
December 3, 2008, Freda Savana, Intelligencer
http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/113-12032008-1631443.html

A. Rhodes Wilson wants to use his single-family home on Easton Road as
a mission for the Church of Scientology.

Looking for approval from the Plumstead Township Board of Supervisors
on Tuesday, Wilson, represented by Doylestown attorney Robert Gundlach,
testified he intends to keep the house exactly as it is but convert its
use to a place of worship.

Tags: A. Rhodes Wilson, Mission, Pennsylvania, Real estate

I was trapped on Scientology ship while Tom Cruise partied
December 3, 2011, Guy Adams, Belfast Telegraph
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/i-was-trapped-on-scientology-cruise-ship-while-tom-cruise-partied-16086063.html?r=RSS

A woman who recently defected from the Church of Scientology has
claimed that she was held against her will and forced to spend almost
12 years touring the Caribbean on a cruise ship owned by the
organisation.

Valeska Paris told a TV interviewer that she was 18 when she joined the
crew of the Freewinds, a vessel the Church describes as its floating
"cathedral" and which once hosted Tom Cruise's birthday party. She
alleged that her passport was confiscated, and that, until she was 24,
she was prevented from setting foot on dry land without an escort.

Tags: Australia, Cadet Org, Chris Guider, Freewinds, Passport, Tom Cruise,
Valeska Paris

Scientology Capsize: Commenters of the Week!
December 3, 2011, Tony Ortega, Runnin' Scared, Village Voice
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/12/scientology_cap.php

"And we thought the asbestos was bad!" The scene here in the
underground bunker is like the quiet after a major storm. A hurricane
blew up out of the Caribbean this week and hit us square on. The place
is a mess. The cats are skittish. But the excitement has finally died
down a bit, the lights are low, the empty bottles have been cleared
out, and we're trying to regain some composure here as we reflect on
what happened...

We seem to say it every Saturday, but this time we really mean it: what
a week, Scientology watchers!

Early Monday morning, we first heard from Australian journalist Steve
Cannane about Valeska Paris, the woman who says she was held against
her will aboard Scientology's private cruise ship the Freewinds from
1996 to 2007.

Tags: 1971, 1977, 1996, 2004, 2007, Anne Archer, Apostate, Asbestos,
Australia, Bob Peterson, Brian Culkin, Celebrity Centre, Chateau Elysee,
David Miscavige, Disconnection, Don Jason, Environmental Protection Agency,
Escape, Freewinds, Germany, Google, Heber Jentzsch, Jason Beghe, Jefferson
Hawkins, Karin Pouw, Kate Bornstein, Kelly Preston, Kirstie Alley, L. Ron
Hubbard, Marc Headley, Mark Miglio, Marty Rathbun, Mat Pesch, Melissa Paris,
Mike Rinder, Nancy Many, Orders of the Day, OT, Paris, Passport, Priscilla
Presley, Ramana Dienes-Browning, Richard Nixon, Sea Org, Skip Press, St.
Petersburg Times, Steve Cannane, Tom Cruise, Tommy Davis, Truth Rundown,
Valeska Paris, Xenu, Yahoo

How Many Scientologists?
December 3, 2013, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/how-many-scientologists/

This was sent in some time ago by a Special Correspondent, but there
have been so many other things going on that I have not been able to
get around to posting it. I think it is a good topic for discussion and
this is a thoughtful and insightful writeup from someone who has
considerable experience from which to base their estimates.

Though there is no figure placed on the number of Scientologists, my
estimate is 25,000-30,000 worldwide. These are people who may still do
an extension course to maintain appearances, buy a book when it is
released or attend an event - though not necessarily go on course or
actively engage in auditing. The hard core is more like 15,000 composed
of SO, staff and those actively on lines. These figures are based on
the number of IAS members and the numbers that show up for events. I am
interested in others' thoughts about this.

I find the membership question interesting and have some opinions based
on my four decades of experience with the CofS. My speculation is the
ratio of committed members versus OPENLY independent or disaffected
ex-members is 4:1. BUT, the ratio of under-the radar members and
ex-members to committed members is 25:1. This is extrapolation from my
own circle of friends, family and acquaintances.

Tags: Chinese, Europe, Ideal Org, International Association of
Scientologists, Quicky, Russia, Scientology organization, Sea Org, Taiwan

Our Experts Prepare Us for the Wall of Fire - Scientology's Operating Thetan
Level Three!
December 3, 2013, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
http://tonyortega.org/2013/12/03/our-experts-prepare-us-for-the-wall-of-fire-scientologys-operating-thetan-level-three/

Claire Headley is taking us on our journey to train as Scientologists.
She and her husband Marc were Sea Org workers who escaped from
Scientology's International Base in 2005. She spent years working with
Scientology's "tech," and was trusted to oversee the auditing of Tom
Cruise. Go here to see the first part in this series.

And now we come to it. After taking us all the way up from the bottom
rung of Scientology's "Bridge to Total Freedom," Claire Headley has
brought us to the most legendary level of all, Operating Thetan Level
Three. Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard claimed to have nearly died
learning its secrets. He warned that anyone unprepared for it would
catch pneumonia and perish.

Before we dive into those secrets ourselves, we wanted to ask Claire
and her fellow tech expert Bruce Hines about expectations.

Tags: 1972, 1973, 1975, 1979, 1988, 2005, Advanced Org, Bridge to Total
Freedom, Bruce Hines, Claire Headley, Class VI, Clear, Copenhagen, Denver,
Germany, Hollywood, Homophobia, Int Base, Karen de la Carriere, Keep
Scientology Working, Los Angeles, Mission, Operating Thetan, OT, OT 8, OT
Phenomena, Quicky, Sea Org, Stuttgart, Tom Cruise, Vietnam

Philly Is Suing Scientology Over Its Vacant "Cathedral of the Future"
December 3, 2013, Kelsey Campbell-Dollaghan, Gizmodo
http://gizmodo.com/philly-is-suing-scientology-over-its-vacant-cathedral-1475854816

Using $7.85 million in donations, the church bought the 15-story
Cunningham Piano building in downtown Philly back in 2007. The idea was
to renovate the tower into a "cathedral" called the Philadelphia
Freedom Org, which would broadcast L. Ron's message to the good people
of greater Philly. Instead, the building has sat untouched for six years.

Now, the city's Department of Licenses & Inspections is taking the
church to "blight court," a special municipal court that deals with
violations like an ordinance that outlaws any building from boarding up
multiple doors and windows (the church's tower has several).

Tags: Blight Court, Flag Building, Hugh Urban, Ideal Org, Philadelphia, Super
Power

Police concerns
December 3, 2013, Kath Gannaway, Upper Yarra Mail
http://upperyarra.starcommunity.com.au/mail/2013-12-03/police-concerns/

Police have raised concerns over student management and behaviour at
the Narconon facility in East Warburton.

A submission from Warburton Police to the Yarra Ranges Council has now
led to a FOI request from opposition group SayNoNarcanon.

In a second submission to the council's planning department regarding
the controversial proposal to move Narconon drug rehabilitation
facility from East Warburton to Warburton township, the officer in
charge at Warburton police station, Sergeant Tom Wilkinson commented on
information prepared by town planners Millar Merrigan which he said was
helpful in providing an overview but raised some concerns.

Tags: Australia, Get Off Drugs Naturally, Narconon, Nerida James,
SayNoNarcononWarburton, Tom Wilkinson, Victoria Police, Warburton Police,
Yarra Ranges Council

About that Tom Cruise Scientology 'co-leader' nonsense spreading in the media
December 3, 2014, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
http://tonyortega.org/2014/12/03/about-that-tom-cruise-scientology-co-leader-nonsense-spreading-in-the-media/

Some of you may have noticed that, in our comments the other day, we
mentioned that we were looking forward to a new article coming out
about Tom Cruise and Scientology, written by a reporter we know who had
hit us up for some quotes.

We were really anticipating this story, because we knew from what the
reporter told us that he was going to begin to set the record straight
about a lot of really dumb tabloidy nonsense about Cruise and his kids
Connor and Isabella supposedly breaking away from Scientology. Our
reporter friend had good evidence that the opposite was true - the
Cruise clan is, if anything, tighter than ever with their fellow
Scientologists. And anyway, we love seeing tabloid nonsense getting its
comeuppance.

So we're really disappointed that the story which did appear - in
Grazia magazine in England - turned out to be such a dud, and only
spawned some new incorrect notions about Tom Cruise and Scientology.

Tags: 2009, 2010, 2015, Bridge to Total Freedom, Connor Cruise, David
Miscavige, David Pakman, England, FBI, Freedom Medal of Valor, Galaxy Press,
Human trafficking, Kelly Preston, Kirstie Alley, London, Lori Hodgson, Los
Angeles, Morocco, Nancy Cartwright, National Enquirer, OT 8, Quicky, Sea Org,
Tom Cruise

Bridge Will "Finance" You
December 3, 2014, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/bridge-will-finance-you/

The full transformation into a bank is well underway.

Why have people take out loans with a bank or run their credit cards to
the limit when they can extend credit with "in house financing". Of
course, this is EASY to do when you are selling from already
manufactured inventory with massive markups. There is little risk of
any loss. After all, these people are under the thumb of the church.
And if they ever did have anyone default on their loan they would just
divert a bit of the "library donation money" to cover the "loss" and
carry on as if nothing had happened.

"Hi Peter,

Tags: Bridge Publications, IRS, L. Ron Hubbard, Quicky

(VIDEO) What is a Destructive Cult? - An Interview with Rachel Bernstein
(Part 1)
December 3, 2015, Chris Shelton, Critical Thinker at Large
http://mncriticalthinking.com/2015/12/03/video-what-is-a-destructive-cult-an-interview-with-rachel-bernstein-part-1/

I met Rachel Bernstein through a referral by Karen de la Carriere and I
am so happy I did, as she is very knowledgeable and articulate about
destructive cults and Scientology in particular. She has counseled over
a thousand people through the exit/recovery process in leaving a cult
behind and has a great deal of experience with Scientology practices
and the harm it causes psychologically and emotionally. I thought
interviewing her about this would be informative and helpful to anyone
who has ever had anything to do with Scientology and would also help
increase understanding for those never-ins who struggle to decipher why
anyone would get involved with a destructive cult in the first place.
This interview is the first of three parts. In the final part, we will
cover the Fair Game tactics Scientology engaged in against Rachel
directly when she first began her practice, but first we cover what
destructive cults are all about and what can be done about them. I hope
everyone gets as much out of this as I did.

Tags: Cult, Fair Game, Karen de la Carriere, Quicky, Rachel Bernstein,
Scientology practice

Augustine: How Scientology changes its story to fit what it's trying to get
away with
December 3, 2015, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
http://tonyortega.org/2015/12/03/augustine-how-scientology-changes-its-story-to-fit-what-its-trying-to-get-away-with/

(David Miscavige, captain of a legal fiction)

Frequent contributor Jeffrey Augustine is back, and this time he digs
into the way Scientology changes its story, depending on who it's
trying to threaten or hoodwink. Take it away, Jeff!

Former Scientology spokesman Mike Rinder recently reported that church
lawyer Gary Soter had sent a threat letter to former Scientology
executive Dan Koon.

Tags: 1980, 1989, 1993, 1995, 2000, 2016, Bert Deixler, Bogot?, California,
Chris Shelton, Commodore's Messenger Organization, Dan Koon, David Miscavige,
Earle Cooley, Fair Game, First Amendment, Gary Soter, International
Association of Scientologists, IRS, Jeffrey Augustine, Karen de la Carriere,
Karin Pouw, Lamont Jefferson, Laura DeCrescenzo, Lisa McPherson, Membership,
Mike Rinder, Monique Rathbun, Norway, Oslo, Panorama, Quicky, Rachel
Bernstein, Rehabilitation Project Force, Rita Boykin, Ron Miscavige Sr, Room
174, Scientology executive, Scientology practice, Sea Org, Texas

Thursday Funnies
December 3, 2015, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/thursday-funnies-60/

The spirit of scientology Christmas

Be a genius...

Avoid handing over anything for something so stupid.

Tags: Albuquerque, Alex Weber, Amber Lopez, ASHO, Atlanta, Ben Klevit,
Birmingham, Bogot?, Brandon Marion, Dave Childers, DC, Denver, Detroit,
Freewinds, Gavin Potter, Hubbard Academy of Personal Independence, Ideal Org,
International Association of Scientologists, Jason Kleiman, Kansas City,
Kourosh Maddahi, L. Ron Hubbard, Miami, Murray Marvin, Natalie Jensen, New
Year's Eve, Orange County, Orlando, OT, Portland, Puerto Rico, Quicky, San
Diego, Sara Ableson, Sarah Condon, Telex, Thursday Funnies, Tokyo

What Led Alex Gibney and Lawrence Wright to Confront Scientology With 'Going
Clear'
December 3, 2015, Katie Wilson Berg, Hollywood Reporter
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/what-led-alex-gibney-lawrence-845609

A day after Alex Gibney's Going Clear was shortlisted for the 2016
Oscar nomination for best documentary, the filmmaker and Lawrence
Wright, Pulitzer Prize-winning author of the book behind the film, sat
down at N.Y.C.'s 92nd Street Y to talk about the allure of Scientology
- both as a subject of investigation for their own work and as a
powerful belief system for its followers. The discussion was moderated
by Janice Min, co-president/chief creative officer of the Entertainment
Group of Guggenheim Media.

Tags: 20/20, 2012, 2016, Alex Gibney, Catholic, Catholic Church, Critic,
Dianetics, Disconnection, E-meter, Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and
the Prison of Belief, Lawrence Wright, Leah Remini, Pulitzer Prize, Quicky,
Spanky Taylor, Tom Cruise

Ideal Org Lies
December 3, 2016, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/ideal-org-lies/

This latest piece from Porn Valley ideal building reminded me what a
horrendous self-serving scam this is. You will note the "ideal Valley"
is missing a few things - like about 100 staff (in order to have one
for each room) and of course their filing is decades out of date.

So, why is there so much effort (extracting of funds) put into these
ideal nothings?

The answer is simple: Miscavige is frantically trying to keep the
veneer of expansion from peeling off the moldy walls of his shrinking
kingdom. He uses these "ideal orgs" to convince his sheeple (and tries
to persuade the outside world too, but that stopped working after Going
Clear) that scientology is "expanding like never before." He shows them
videos of ribbon cutting ceremonies and impressive looking
"fly-throughs" of empty office spaces, auditoriums and reception areas.
Always empty. And they now equate that to "expansion."

Tags: David Miscavige, Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of
Belief, Ideal Org, International Association of Scientologists, L. Ron
Hubbard, OT, OT IX, Porn, Quicky

In Scientology, dancing in a conga line might end up costing you thousands
December 3, 2016, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
http://tonyortega.org/2016/12/03/in-scientology-dancing-in-a-conga-line-might-end-up-costing-you-thousands/

(Kiwis dancing in a conga line in order to pledge money on a whiteboard)

After the week we've had - with the heart-wrenching scenes with Bonny
Elliott and Amy Scobee in Leah Remini's A&E series, for example - we
thought it would be good to start things off today with a little levity.

It's been a while since we got a look at Scientology's fundraising
foibles, which used to be more of a staple around here. But even though
it's been some time, we think you'll see that things haven't changed a
bit.

Tags: 2013, A&E, Amy Scobee, ANZO, Bonny Elliott, David Miscavige, DEA,
Florida, Ideal Org, International Association of Scientologists, Ken Dandar,
Leah Remini, New Zealand, OT, Paypal, Quicky, Scott Pilutik, Tampa, Vimeo

Today in Scientlology web page:
http://umbraxenu.no-ip.biz/today.html
December 3 in Scientlology web page:
http://umbraxenu.no-ip.biz/days/12-03.html