Today in Scientology -- October 22nd **********************************

Scientology Today

Oct 22, 2017, 11:52:39 PM10/22/17
Today October 22nd in Scientology history

Scientologists Report Assets of $400 Million
October 22, 1993, Robert D. Hershey Jr., New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/1993/10/22/us/scientologists-report-assets-of-400-million.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

The Church of Scientology, the secretive and combative international
organization that recently won a decades-long drive for Federal tax
exemption, counts assets of about $400 million and appears to take in
nearly $300 million a year from counseling lees, book sales,
investments and other sources, according to documents filed with the
Internal Revenue Service.

The financial disclosures are in documents the church was required to
file with the I.R.S. In applying for tax-exempt status, conferred on .
30 or more entities of the church early this month. The documents, 12
linear feet of them in eight cardboard boxes, formed the basis for the
I.R.S.'s decision and became a matter of public record when tax
exemption was granted.

Tags: Barry Klein, David Miscavige, Frank Keith, IRS, Ken Pirak, Marty
Rathbun, Shelly Miscavige, Steve Grant

Full pews and prayers for peace
October 22, 2001, Stephen Bates, Special reports, The Guardian
http://www.guardian.co.uk/waronterror/story/0,,578422,00.html

While the churches have had no difficulty condemning the bombings of
New York and Washington - they all did that except, briefly, the Church
of Scientology which bizarrely put out a press release commending them
until it spotted its mistake - moving on to the next step has been more
problematic.

Curtain goes up on Scientology
October 22, 2004, Dan Glaister, Guardian
http://www.theguardian.com/stage/2004/oct/22/theatre.usa

A similar formula has prevailed in LA: don't give the production the
oxygen of publicity. But behind the scenes the wheels of organised
religion were spinning. As soon as the Church got wind of an LA Times
piece on the production, several editors on the paper received calls
from the guardians of L Ron's flame urging them to pull the article.
Nothing unusual about that, as any entertainment PR will tell you. But
things took a more sinister turn when the phone calls started.

"The parents of one of the kids in the cast were called by members of
the entertainment industry that were Scientologists," says Timbers.
"They were told that if they were to continue with the show that it
might be bad for their future career."

Tags: A Very Merry Unauthorized Children's Scientology Pageant, Fair Game,
Los Angeles, New York

McMahan Family Values
October 22, 2006, Tony Ortega, Broward Palm Beach New Times
http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/2006-10-12/news/mcmahan-family-values/all/

After publishing Kelly Cramer's remarkable story "Daddy's Girl" two
weeks ago, the most frequent question I've been asked about the tale of
a Wall Street millionaire who married his own daughter is: How could
Linda Schutt, a grown woman with a PhD in psychology, succumb to the
seduction attempts of her father, hedge-fund manager Bruce McMahan, and
participate in a years-long incestuous relationship with him?

Tags: Bruce McMahan, England, Kelly Cramer, Linda Schutt, Westminster

Scientology opens London facility
October 22, 2006, UPI
http://www.upi.com/Scientology-opens-London-facility/91691161553069/

LONDON, Oct. 22 (UPI) -- Several thousand members Sunday helped to
inaugurate the new London headquarters of the Church of Scientology.

The six-story Victorian office cost about $43.3 million to buy and
refurbish, with some of the funds coming from the church's
approximately 124,000 British members, The Sunday Times of London said.
Members pay to take courses to achieve what the church calls "spiritual
release and freedom," the Times said.

Scientology, based in Los Angeles, was founded by science fiction
writer L. Ron Hubbard in the 1950s. Celebrities who are members include
U.S. actors Tom Cruise, Ann Archer and John Travolta.

Tags: 1950, John Travolta, London, Los Angeles, Quicky, The Sunday Times, Tom
Cruise, Victoria

Scientology sets up house in the City
October 22, 2006, Jamie Doward, The Observer
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1928498,00.html

The building, a former bible centre, cost the church ?23m to buy and
millions of pounds more to refit and is a testament to the
organisation's growing financial strength. From its marble floors to
its towering stucco-clad arches, Scientology's latest centre - all
50,000 square foot of it - screams wealth.

Tags: Janet Laveau, Real estate, The Way to Happiness, UK

Scientology protester's case continued without a finding
October 22, 2008, davef, Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly
http://blogs.masslawyersweekly.com/news/2008/10/22/scientology-protesters-case-continued-without-a-finding/

I have to admit I didn't see this coming, but a Boston Municipal Court
judge has continued without a finding the case against a man accused of
disrupting proceedings at the Back Bay Church of Scientology earlier
this year.

On Oct. 22, Judge Thomas C. Horgan imposed a one-year CWOF against
Gregg Housh, who had been charged with disturbing an assembly of
worship and disturbing the peace.

Tags: Anonymous, Gregg Housh, Judge Horgan, Michael Dlott

34 Defending the Salesman
October 22, 2009, Jonny Jacobsen, Infinite Complacency
http://infinitecomplacency.blogspot.com/2009/10/34-for-defendant-michaux.html

June 16: The Scientologist and salesman accused of fraud has been tried
in an atmosphere tainted by media hysteria and soured by a prosecution
summing up that smacks of the Inquisition, his lawyer argued.

Didier Michaux, the Scientology bookshop's star salesman, faced a
charge of organised fraud for his part in the alleged offences.

His lawyer, Ma?tre Alexis Gublin, constructed a defence that was
similar in many ways to Ma?tre Virginie Benmayor's defence of fellow
salesman Jean-Fran?ois Valli, arguing that his client, a sincere
Scientologist, had at all times acted in good faith.

Tags: 2006, 2008, Aude-Claire Malton, Catherine Picard, Celebrity Centre,
Daniel Zagury, Didier Michaux, E-meter, France, Jean-Fran?ois Valli,
Personality test, Quicky, Roger Gonnet, UNADFI

Daniel Montalvo - the latest
October 22, 2010, Marty Rathbun, Moving On Up a Little Higher
https://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2010/10/22/daniel-montalvo-the-latest/

Daniel expresses his gratitude

Since escaping unscathed at the Sunset Blvd cafe, see
https://markrathbun.wordpress.
com/2010/10/09/montalvo-update-the-wild-wild-west/, Daniel has been
enjoying his stay with a family that has accepted him and treated him
as their own. Realize that Daniel lived in the Sea Org from the age of
four until the age of nineteen, never really experiencing what family
is all about. In this time of crises, he is rapidly learning the true
value and meaning of family.

Daniel was quite touched by your outpouring of concern, care, and
genorsity. He asked me to try to convey that to you all. But, I don't
know whether words can really do the trick. He is in awe of what you did.

Tags: Daniel Montalvo, Los Angeles, Paypal, Quicky, Sea Org, Tiziano Lugli

Knowledge Report: The Introspection Rundown
October 22, 2011, Mark Bunker, YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqe7_YeB-8A

Maureen Bolstad talks about her experiences after suffering a psychotic
break in Scientology.

Tags: Introspection Rundown, Knowledge Report, Maureen Bolstad, Quicky

Lewis Black Calls Times Square Anti-Scientology Demonstration "Best. Protest.
Ever."
October 22, 2012, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
https://tonyortega.org/2012/10/22/lewis-black-calls-anti-scientology-demonstration-on-46th-street-best-protest-ever/

Friday afternoon, we heard from the local Anonymous folks that the
theatrical debut of a documentary featuring several of them was showing
in town.

We attended, and had a great time watching We Are Legion: The Story of
the Hacktivists. Director Brian Knappenberger was on hand to answer
questions afterwards, as were some of the New York Anons featured in
it: Vendetta, SethDood, and PokeAnon, who we have frequently seen at
protests on 46th Street across from the Scientology org.

Poke announced that night that there would be a "raid" on Scientology
the following night, Saturday. But we had other plans and couldn't go.
Someone who did appreciate Saturday's demonstration turned out to be
comedian Lewis Black, who announced on his Facebook that it was the
"Best. Protest. Ever."

Tags: 2008, Anonymous, Brian Knappenberger, Facebook, Gabriella Coleman,
Germany, Gregg Housh, McGill University, New York, Quicky

Scientology's Sea Org Application: What Are Your Crimes?
October 22, 2012, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
https://tonyortega.org/2012/10/22/scientologys-sea-org-application-what-are-your-crimes/

One of our tipsters briefly considered joining Scientology's Sea
Organization - the hardcore group of workers who toil for almost no pay
and often do menial labor from dawn to midnight, day after day.

This person had second thoughts and didn't join, but they still had a
copy of the Sea Org's application form and thought we might like to see
it.

Boy howdy, were we glad they sent it over.

Tags: 1974, 1988, 2010, Amy Scobee, Bridge Publications, David Miscavige,
Derek Bloch, Dianetics, Division 1, E-meter, FBI, Green card, L. Ron Hubbard,
LSD, Mat Pesch, Office of Special Affairs, Passport, Quicky, Scientology
organization, Sea Org, Sec Check, Simi Valley, Social Security

Wiki News Interview on The Reformation
October 22, 2012, Marty Rathbun, Moving On Up a Little Higher
https://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2012/10/21/wiki-news-interview-on-the-reformation/

Wikinews published an interview concerning the book The Scientology
Reformation and related things.

Tags: Quicky, Wikinews

Leah Remini says Church of Scientology looks to make an example of her
October 22, 2013, Caroline Lee, UPI
http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/10/22/Leah-Remini-says-Church-of-Scientology-looks-to-make-an-example-of-her/3001382468738/

Actress Leah Remini has opened up further about her leaving the Church
of Scientology weeks after she was subpoenaed to testify in a lawsuit
against the church.

Tags: Celebrity, David Miscavige, King of Queens, Leah Remini, Marc Wiegand,
Monique Rathbun, OT, Ray Jeffrey, Sea Org, Tom Cruise

Religious liberty ambassador's resignation raises concerns
October 22, 2013, Adelaide Mena, Catholic News Agency
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/religious-liberty-ambassadors-resignation-raises-concerns/

The reported resignation of Suzan Johnson Cook as U.S. ambassador for
international religious freedom is an chance for the Obama
administration to address the issue, but some are dubious that real
changes will be made.

Cook's retirement was first reported by Religion News Service on Oct.
16 when Joseph Grieboski, founder of The Institute on Religion and
Public Policy, tweeted a picture with her saying that it was taken "on
her last day." Rob Schenck of Faith and Action posted pictures to
Instagram "celebrating the legacy" of the ambassador.

In an earlier interview with CNA, Farr pointed out that Obama allowed
the ambassador position to remain vacant for more than two years before
finally appointing Cook; she was sworn-in in June, 2011. Once she
started her job, Farr said, she was buried "deep in the bureaucracy,
without authority or resources."

Tags: 2011, Institute on Religion and Public Policy, International Religious
Freedom Act of 1998, John Kerry, Joseph Grieboski, Robert George, Suzan
Johnson Cook, Thomas Farr, US Commission on International Religious Freedom,
US Secretary of State, US State Department, USCIRF Ambassador-at-Large

Scientology Has No City Permit for IAS Gala or Other Events: Is It Keeping
The Party Private?
October 22, 2013, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
https://tonyortega.org/2013/10/22/scientology-has-no-city-permit-for-ias-gala-or-other-events-keeping-things-private/

In August, the Church of Scientology set some very important dates on
its calendar. The church told the City of Clearwater that it would be
holding a grand opening for its Super Power Building on October 6, and
its annual IAS gala in a large tent near the Super Power Building on
the weekend of November 8-9.

Scientology claimed that 10,000 people would show up for the Super
Power event, implying that it would require permits for plenty of
street and sidewalk closures, perhaps for Fort Harrison Avenue that
separates the new building from the Fort Harrison Hotel itself. But as
a deadline for such a permit application neared, the church stunned
everyone by putting off its Super Power opening indefinitely.

Now we've learned from the city of Clearwater that Scientology also has
no permit for the November IAS event - and it's too late to ask for one.
That's odd, because we're hearing rumors that Scientology still
intends to hold its big lineup of huge openings soon - a new product
rollout (Golden Age of Tech II), a new building (Super Power), its
annual IAS gala, and then its big annual New Year's Eve party.

Tags: 2015, California, Christopher Hubbard, City of Clearwater, Clear,
Clearwater, Copyright, Cult, David Miscavige, DeCrescenzo v. Scientology,
England, Florida, Fort Harrison, Golden Age of Tech, Hollywood, Ideal Org,
International Association of Scientologists, Mark Bunker, Mike Rinder,
Monique Rathbun, New Year's Eve, Portland, Quicky, Rathbun v. Scientology,
Super Power, Super Power Building, Texas, TomKat Project

Stevens Creek Fake Promo Starring John Allender
October 22, 2013, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/stevens-creek-fake-promo-starring-john-allender/

This report and promo piece was sent in by a Special Correspondent.
Remember, Stevens Creek is not just an "Ideal Org" it is a "St Hill
Size Org" and they cannot muster enough people to even get 10 real
graduates in a photo? That fact alone tells you everything you could
need to know about the state of "Ideal Orgs." (Not to mention NOT ONE
Academy Level Completion and NOT ONE Grade completion).

Stevens Creek Org put out their magazine and this picture is included.

The guy in the back row holding up the cert is the one and only John
Allender. (Photo right) (your left)

Tags: Fake, Ideal Org, John Allender, Los Gatos, Mission, Mountain View, OT,
Quicky, Silicon Valley, Stevens Creek

An encounter at Scientology's Saint Hill Manor
October 22, 2014, Betty Andrews, YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2dHTBXSITs

Six former Scientology members and SPs visit the Church of
Scientology's Saint Hill Manor. "Everyone is welcome at Ron's Home?".

Tags: Quicky, Saint Hill Manor

Mike Rinder ambush
October 22, 2014, Tony Ortega , YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjNTMs5ELk8

http://tonyortega.
org/2014/10/22/tom-cruise-and-his-freedom-medal-of-valor-wheres-the-tabloid-press/

http://www.mikerindersblog.org/mike-rinder-lady-killer/

https://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2010/04/24/miscavige-meltdown/

https://markrathbun.wordpress.
com/2010/04/28/miscavige-meltdown-update-3/

https://markrathbun.wordpress.
com/2010/10/13/miscavige-meltdown-the-proof/

Tags: Andrew Rinder, Australia, BBC, Benjamin Rinder, Catherine Bernardini,
David Bloomberg, David Miscavige, Disconnection, Fair Game, Guillaume
Lesevre, Jennifer Linson, John Sweeney, Los Angeles, Mike Rinder, Pinellas
County Sheriff's Department, Suppressive Person, Taryn Rinder, Video

Scientology Top Management Video Earlier Beginning
October 22, 2014, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/scientology-top-management-video-earlier-beginning/

Given the enormous interest in the video posted on Marty Rathbun's
blog, I am reprinting an article that he published on October 13, 2010
on Moving On Up A Little Higher .

It features Jenny Linson and Dave Bloomberg (along with a number of
others), carrying out an earlier, but very similar version of their LAX
attack on Mark Rathbun. (My added comments are italicized in red)

Miscavige Meltdown ? the Proof

Tags: 2010, Andrew Rinder, BBC, Catherine Bernardini, Clearwater Police
Department, David Bloomberg, David Miscavige, Jennifer Linson, John Sweeney,
LAX, Marty Rathbun, Melbourne, Panorama, Quicky, Taryn Rinder

Tom Cruise and his Freedom Medal of Valor: Where's the tabloid press?
October 22, 2014, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
https://tonyortega.org/2014/10/22/tom-cruise-and-his-freedom-medal-of-valor-wheres-the-tabloid-press/

On Saturday afternoon Bascaran posted the photo of Ruddy and Tom
Cruise, and Bascaran indicated that the location was London, and that
the actors were there for a "spectacular celebration." But what really
caught our eye was the large medal around Tom's neck - we recognized it
immediately.

As we explained in our story, this was the first time that we had seen
Tom photographed with his "Freedom Medal of Valor" since he had
received it exactly ten years earlier from Scientology leader David
Miscavige. Two years ago, there was a British press report that Tom had
been spotted wearing the medal at the Patron's Ball held on the annual
International Association of Scientologists gala weekend, but this was
the first time that Tom had actually been photographed wearing the
thing since he received it a decade ago. The day this photograph was
posted was the same day as this year's IAS Patron's Ball, and we feel
pretty confident that's where he was going (in nearby East Grinstead,
England, about 30 miles away) after snapping this photo.

Tags: 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, Allison Hope Weiner, BBC, Catherine
Bernardini, Christie Collbran, David Bloomberg, David Miscavige, East
Grinstead, England, Fair Game, Florida, Freedom Medal of Valor, Gary Smith,
Ideal Narconon, International Association of Scientologists, Jean Lafitte,
Jennifer Linson, John Sweeney, LAX, London, Luis Bascaran, Marty Rathbun,
Melbourne, Mike Rinder, Narconon, Narconon Arrowhead, Narconon International,
Narconon staff, Reddit, Ruddy Rodriguez, Scientology and Me, The Hole, The
Secrets of Scientology, Tom Cruise, Venezuela

(VIDEO) Critical Q&A #27
October 22, 2015, Chris Shelton, Critical Thinker at Large
https://mncriticalthinking.com/2015/10/21/video-critical-qa-27/

The weekly show where I answer questions posed in the comment section
of my YouTube channel or sent to me by email at AskChrisShelton@gmail.
com. This week, the questions I take up are:

(1) I have heard of the horrible way Sea Org members are treated: the
16 hour days, yelled at by superiors, menial labor, etc. It seems those
who blow out of Scientology are most often Sea Org members who are
burnt out or tired of being mistreated. Why does the organization treat
people this way? It seems that its not advantageous to the Church to
create an atmosphere that makes people want to run away. Much of the
Church's bad publicity has been from Sea Org stories. If they wanted to
alleviate this press issue, they'd treat the Sea Org members well so as
to prevent people from wanting to leave. Is it just a desire to get
free labor that spurs the Church's top leadership to overwork the Sea
Org members?

(2) Hi Chris! With all the violence that David Miscavige seems to
inflict with impunity, can't a few strong fellows who have had enough,
just physically carry him off and declare a new regime?assign him to
some RPF duties, locked up in his own "hole"?

Tags: Critic, David Miscavige, Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the
Prison of Belief, Jim Carrey, Los Angeles, Quicky, Rehabilitation Project
Force, Scientology organization, Sea Org, Toronto, YouTube

(VIDEO) Scientology: Why Smart People Fall for Stupid Things
October 22, 2015, Chris Shelton, Critical Thinker at Large
https://mncriticalthinking.com/2015/10/22/video-scientology-why-smart-people-fall-for-stupid-things/

My talk on how Scientology lures unsuspecting and otherwise intelligent
people into its scam using appeals to emotion and authority to prey on
their emotional troubles. This talk was given on October 17 at the
Wichita State University during the Skeptics of Oz 2015 conference.

Find out more about the Skeptics of Oz and the Wichita Coalition of
Reason here: https://www.facebook.com/skepticsofoz?fref=ts

Here is the text of the speech I gave:

Tags: 1950, 2007, 2013, Anonymous, Appeal, Clear, Dianetics, England, Google,
Human trafficking, IRS, Mental Health, OCA, Operating Thetan, Oxford Capacity
Analysis, Personality test, Quicky, Scientology: A to Xenu, Sea Org,
Skeptics, Wichita, Xenu, YouTube

A Scientology childhood: What it's like to grow up under the Hubbard spell
October 22, 2015, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
https://tonyortega.org/2015/10/22/a-scientology-childhood-what-its-like-to-grow-up-under-the-hubbard-spell/

Aaron Smith-Levin has sent us the latest video in the Growing Up In
Scientology series. He started out the YouTube channel with a series of
interview segments with Nick Lister. Now, Aaron puts himself in the
interviewee chair along with former Scientology spokesman Mike Rinder.

Rinder was 6 years old when his parents got into Scientology in
Adelaide, Australia in 1961 before the Sea Organization even existed.
Aaron Smith-Levin was 5 years old when his mother Gayle Smith got into
Scientology in Philadelphia in 1985, right around the time David
Miscavige was maneuvering to take full control of the Church while L.
Ron Hubbard was in hiding.

In this segment Aaron and Mike take turns discussing their earliest
memories of Scientology, the first course they did, what it was like to
receive auditing for the first time, and how Scientology became
something they once fully embraced. Let us know what you think.

Tags: 1961, 1985, 2007, 2008, 2012, 2013, Aaron Smith-Levin, Adelaide,
Appeal, Australia, Chris Shelton, David Miscavige, Dutch, Gayle Smith,
Growing Up In Scientology, Ideal Org, Jonny Jacobsen, Mike Rinder,
Netherlands, Nick Lister, Personality test, Philadelphia, Quicky, Sea Org,
Skeptics, Tax exempt, The Hague, Wichita, YouTube

Hague Court deals blow to Scientology tax-free status
October 22, 2015, Janene Pieters, NL Times
http://www.nltimes.nl/2015/10/22/hague-court-deals-blow-to-scientology-tax-free-status/

The Dutch branch of the Church of Scientology has lost its tax status
as "public welfare institution", and the tax benefits that go along
with it, in a ruling made by the court in The Hague on Wednesday.

The court decided that the sales of the Church's expensive courses and
therapy sessions are clearly aimed at making a profit, and thus it does
not belong on the tax authorities' charity list.

The court ruled that these courses cost significantly more than
commercial educational institutions' average school fees. "If providers
on the secular education market had similar prices, prospective
students would experience it as prices for top education by top
teachers in prime locations." The court finds the prices to be very
commercial. According to the court, Scientology consciously seeks
profits to fill its purse and was able to build "substantial wealth"
like this.

Tags: Amsterdam, Dutch, Netherlands, Tax, The Hague

Lifting the lid on The Church of Scientology's most scathing scandals - watch
now
October 22, 2015, The Morning Show, Yahoo! News
https://au.tv.yahoo.com/the-morning-show/video/watch/29877292/lifting-the-lid-on-the-church-of-scientologys-most-scathing-scandals/

Tony Ortega spends his life writing about their alleged shady inner
sanctum from an undisclosed location. The journalist's explosive new
book exposes the church's darkest secrets.

Tags: The Unbreakable Miss Lovely, Tony Ortega

Scientology tried to bring me down
October 22, 2015, The Age
http://media.theage.com.au/entertainment/entertainment-news/scientology-tried-to-bring-me-down-6952105.html

American journalist Paulette Cooper was once the Church of
Scientology's public enemy number one after she wrote articles critical
of the church.

Tags: Fair Game, Paulette Cooper

Thursday Funnies
October 22, 2015, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/thursday-funnies-54/

It's hard to top a letter from a scientology lawyer, but here we go...

It's Epic. World-Changing. Powering Up The Planet.

Every event has to be more over the top than the last one. Where can
they go next? They already sound like they are writing copy for Marvel
Superhero comics. Mad magazine?

Tags: 1969, 1970, ABLE, Africa, Albuquerque, Applied Scholastics, Barbara
Dews, Brielle Slate, CCHR, Chairman of the Board, Christina Hoyt, Criminon,
Cult, Dallas, Denver, Don Hoyt, Field Staff Member, Flag Service
Organization, Fran Andrews, Freewinds, Harlem, Hubbard Academy of Personal
Independence, Ideal Org, Inglewood, International Association of
Scientologists, IRS, Jeremy Slate, Ken McLeod, Larry Gilbert, Miami, Michael
Chan, Mission, Narconon, New Haven, OT, OTC, Planetary Dissemination,
Portland, Quicky, Ryan Woodley, Scotland, Thursday Funnies, Tone Scale

Why the Church of Scientology is buying up big in Australia
October 22, 2015, Bryan Seymour, 7 News, Yahoo! News
https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/29882961/why-the-church-of-scientology-is-buying-up-big-in-australia/

Tony Ortega, who is currently in Sydney to launch his latest book, said
a new $50m Super Centre on the north shore will become the key base for
Scientologists in the Southern Hemisphere.

However, he has claimed it's just an expensive front for dwindling
numbers.

For 20 years, New York journalist Ortega has been revealing abuses
inside Scientology.

"They have a lot of money.. It's the combination of millionaires
donating money, paying their workers pennies an hour and not having to
pay taxes," he said.

Tags: Advanced Org, Australia, Chatswood, FBI, Nick Xenophon, Paulette
Cooper, Super Power Building, Sydney, The Unbreakable Miss Lovely, Tony Ortega

Critical Q&A #80
October 22, 2016, Chris Shelton, Critical Thinker at Large
https://mncriticalthinking.com/2016/10/22/critical-qa-80/

The weekly show where I answer questions left for me in the comments
section of my Q&A videos or sent to me by email at
AskChri...@gmail.com. This week, the questions I answer are:

(1) Chris, one element of LRH's space opera mythos that is still vague
to me involves Farsec, the supposed origin planet for the Psychs. What
is its role in the greater Galactic Confederation? How and why did the
Psychs end up working for Xenu? What is their interest in Earth? Can
you please sum up, briefly, what you know about all this? Thanks, and
keep up the good work!

(2) You've mentioned a few times in your Q&As that errors in preclears'
case files are constantly found, and of course, correcting the errors
are at the pre-clears' expense; unquestionably an opportunity to siphon
more money. My question is has the Church ever internally acknowledged
problematic auditors by demoting or removing them because of obvious
incompetence and who clearly had no business auditing other people?

Tags: Australia, Critic, David Miscavige, Farsec, John Travolta, L. Ron
Hubbard, Quicky, Suppressive Person, USA, Xenu

Fleecing The Sheeple
October 22, 2016, Mike Rinder, Something Can Be Done About It
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/fleecing-the-sheeple/

This article is written by Lois (Jory) Reisdorf. She was one of the
original Commodore's Messengers aboard the Apollo, and I have known her
and her husband Gary since being shipmates together back in the 70's.
They left the Sea Org in the 80's, raised 3 boys and were off anyone's
radar screen. Scientology managed, as it so often does, to poke the
sleeping lioness and steal one of her cubs. More on that story will be
forthcoming, along with some fascinating insights into the early days
of the Sea Org and L. Ron Hubbard and on up through the rise of David
Miscavige. For now, this will serve as an introduction to Lowie (as she
has always been affectionately known), who with her South African
heritage (and still the slightest of accents), red hair and fierce
protectiveness has always evoked images of a lioness in my mind.

FLEECING THE SHEEPLE

This is a story of how the Church fleeces it's sheeple into donating
towards buildings. There are many stories I have to tell about my life
and what has happened to us and they will come out slowly, but due to
the recent post of the Valley OTC Minutes, I just had to get this story
out as it is so apropos.

Tags: 2012, 2015, AOLA, Apollo, Clearwater, Commodore's Messenger
Organization, David Miscavige, Ethics Officer, Gary Reisdorf, International
Association of Scientologists, L. Ron Hubbard, Lois Reisdorf, LRH Hall,
Mental breakdown, OT, OTC, Quicky, Sea Org, South Africa, Survival Rundown

Who was responsible when Scientology finally paid Lawrence Wollersheim a lot
of thin dimes?
October 22, 2016, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
https://tonyortega.org/2016/10/22/who-was-responsible-when-scientology-finally-paid-lawrence-wollersheim-a-lot-of-thin-dimes/

(Ford Greene, Lawrence Wollersheim, and Jon Atack)

On some Saturdays (and on other days), we're fortunate here at the
Underground Bunker to publish an occasional item by Jon Atack. His 1990
book, A Piece of Blue Sky, was one of the first that we read for a
history of L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology, and it remains one of the
very best books on the subject. That's partly because Atack speaks from
experience, having spent years in Scientology and rising into its "OT"
levels, but also because of his many years of dogged research. Few
people have the breadth of knowledge about Scientology's first 40 years
as Jon Atack.

Two weeks ago, Jon submitted a piece to us that recounted a specific
period of Scientology history, and about how his research had helped
Lawrence Wollersheim finally collect a judgment from the church after
more than two decades of suing Scientology.

Tags: 1986, 1990, 1994, 2002, 2003, 2008, A Piece of Blue Sky, California,
Church of Scientology International, Church of Scientology of California,
Craig Stein, Dan Leipold, David Miscavige, Ford Greene, Gerry Armstrong, Jon
Atack, Lawrence Wollersheim, Leta Schlosser, Los Angeles, Los Angeles County
Superior Court, New Times Los Angeles, OT, Quicky, Religious Technology
Center, Robert Vaughn Young, Sea Org, Tom Reitze, Village Voice

Critical Q&A #131
October 22, 2017, Chris Shelton, Critical Thinker at Large
https://mncriticalthinking.com/2017/10/22/critical-qa-131/

The weekly show where I answer questions from viewers left in the
comment sections of my Critical Q&A videos or sent to me by email at
AskChri...@gmail.com. This week, the questions I answer are:

(1) Hi Chris, I just finished watching Q&A 129 and heard you say how
much you loved movies. I recently watched one of my favorites - V For
Vendetta - and I noticed a direct correlation between the movie and
what people like you, Leah, Mike, Aaron and everyone else that tells
their stories to whoever will listen. It is the point in the movie
where Evie finds the letter in the rathole of her cell and it turns out
to be the life story of another prisoner she has never met but it gives
her the strength to carry on and do what is necessary. I would love to
hear your thoughts on this as it is a very powerful bit of cinema to me
personally, but I also think that it portrays the love and hope that
you and all the others that put their stories out there have for those
still trapped by the cult. In essence, you are pushing letters into the
crack in the cell wall where they are waiting to be found by that next
person desperate to break free.

(2) I often wonder how could L. Ron Hubbard think that he knew what had
happened trillions of years ago? And how could somebody believe this
so-obvious-nonsense? This teaching seems to be an indicator that
Hubbard was delusional, don't you think?

Tags: Bernie Madoff, Critic, David Miscavige, Dianetics, London, OT, OT VII,
Quicky, Sea Org, STAND

Wally Hanks, Scientology ranch terror recently portrayed on 'Leah Remini,'
dies at 70
October 22, 2017, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
https://tonyortega.org/2017/10/22/wally-hanks-scientology-ranch-terror-recently-portrayed-on-leah-remini-dies-at-70/

Wally Hanks, the employee at the 1990s Scientologist-run Mace-Kingsley
Ranch in New Mexico who was heard terrorizing a child on an audio tape
played back for an episode of Leah Remini: Scientology and the
Aftermath that aired on October 10, died Friday night at a hospital in
Southern California. He was 70 years old.

"We were expecting it for a while," says Brian Hanks, 34, whose father,
Michael, was Wally's older brother. "He had a stroke a few months ago,
and kidney failure. The past ten years have been hell for him."

Wallace Earl Hanks was born in August 1947 and grew up in a Dallas
orphanage with his brother and a sister. "They had it rough," Brian
tells us. But even though he knew about his uncle's reputation at the
ranch, he knew a man most others didn't get to see. "He was a Vietnam
vet. He had his issues, but I loved him. He always treated me right."

Tags: 1947, 1980, 1990, 1996, 2014, 2016, AMA, Amsterdam, Andrea Garner,
Birmingham, Brenda Hubert, California, CCHR, Clearwater, Coachman Park,
Criminon, Daily Mail, Dallas, David Miscavige, Denise Miscavige Gentile,
Dianetics, Flag Land Base, Florida, Fort Harrison, Foundation for a Drug-Free
World, Ideal Org, Leah Remini, Lisa Marie Presley, Lisa McPherson, Lizzy
Calcioli, Mace-Kingsley Ranch, Mike Rinder, Narconon, Nathan Rich, Neil
Gaiman, New Mexico, Ojai, Organization for Security and Co-operation in
Europe, Orlando, Personality test, Pete Griffiths, Priscilla Presley, Purif,
Quicky, Riley Keough, Robert Vaughn Young, Rod Keller, Ron Miscavige Sr,
Scientology and the Aftermath, Sheila Gaiman, The Way to Happiness, UK,
United for Human Rights, Vietnam, Volunteer Ministers, Wally Hanks

Today in Scientlology web page:
http://umbraxenu.no-ip.biz/today.html
October 22 in Scientlology web page:
http://umbraxenu.no-ip.biz/days/10-22.html