March 26th - St. Macartin of Clogher

Waldtraud

Mar 26, 2008, 12:05:12 PM3/26/08
March 26th - St. Macartin of Clogher B (AC)
(also known as Macartan, MacCartan, Maccarthen)

Died c. 505; feast day formerly March 24. Saint Macartin (in Irish is Aedh
mac
Carthin) was an early disciple and companion of Saint Patrick during the
latter's missions into pagan territory. He is said to have been consecrated
bishop of Clogher in Tyrone by Patrick in 454. It is said that Saint Brigid,
Macartin's niece, was present at the founding of the see.

Macartin is also one of the earliest Irish saints to be known as a
miracle-worker. His holiness is revealed not so much by any vita, which are
non-existent, but by the high veneration in which he is held. Saint Bede
records
that the earth was taken from his grave as holy relics. His Office is the
only
one to survive from an Irish source.

A reliquary, called the Great Shrine of Saint Mac Cairthinn, which was
designed
to contain relics of the True Cross as well as his bones, has been altered
over
the centuries but still survives as the "Domnach Airgid" in the National
Museum.
It's inner yew box was given to Macartin by Patrick together with the
latter's
episcopal staff and Bible.

The Cloch-Oir (Golden Stone), from which this ancient diocese takes its
name,
was a sacred ceremonial stone to the druids, It was given to Macartin by an
old
pagan noble, who had harassed Macartin in every possible way until the
saint's
patient love won the local ruler to the faith. The stone is still preserved
and
the noble's son, Tighernach of Clones, succeed Macartin as bishop
(Benedictines,
D'Arcy, Farmer, Healy, Kenney, Montague, Muirhead, Needham).

<><><><>
"Thou oughtest not to let a day pass in which thou hast not trampled upon
thy
will; and if such a thing should happen, consider that on that day thou hast
not
been a religious"
-St. John Climacus

St Mary Magdalen de' Pazzi was extremely fond of not doing her own will, and
made a study of it, so that she regarded that day as utterly lost in which
she
had not in some manner broken and denied it.

(Taken from the book "A Year with the Saints". March - Mortification)

Bible Quote:
1 And Jesus passing by, saw a man, who was blind from his birth: 2 And his
disciples asked him: Rabbi, who hath sinned, this man, or his parents, that
he
should be born blind? 3 Jesus answered: Neither hath this man sinned, nor
his
parents; but that the works of God should be made manifest in him. 4 I must
work
the works of him that sent me, whilst it is day: the night cometh, when no
man
can work. 5 As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world. (John
9:1-5)

<><><><>
The third glorious mystery prayer of the Eucharistic Rosary,
to be offered before the Blessed Sacrament:

The Decent of the Holy Ghost upon the Apostles, offered for
the gifts of the Holy Ghost, for love of God and zeal for the
salvation of souls:

O Jesus, scarcely hadst Thou entered into Thy glory at the
right hand of the Father, when Thou didst show Thy
munificence by sending forth the Holy Ghost with His many
and various gifts to Thy growing Church. From the
Eucharist, as if from another heaven, wherein Thou hast set
up Thy throne of love, Thou dost impart to souls the spirit of
life and strength, and Thou dost enkindle in them the fire of
Thy divine charity.

O Jesus, King in heaven, King also in the Eucharist, we adore
Thee and we beg of Thee, through the intercession of Thy
holy Mother, fidelity to grace in order to reap all the fruits
produced in the souls of men by the gifts of the Holy Ghost.

Imprimatur: + John M. Farley, Archbishop of New York,
Sept 19, 1908.

<><><><>
Memorare

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, That never was it known that any one
who
fled to your protection, implored your help, or sought your intercession was
left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, I fly to you, O Virgin of
Virgins,
my Mother. To you I come, before you I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother
of
the Word Incarnate despise not my petitions, but in your mercy hear and
answer
me. Amen.