November 24th - St. Romanus of Le Mans

Waldtraud

Nov 23, 2008, 12:25:33 PM11/23/08
November 24th - St. Romanus of Le Mans

Died at Blaye, France, in 385. Romanus appears to be an average person. Yet
just as the Church never leaves any of us completely alone, she never lets
any of us completely useless. In the most unexpected times and places,
across the ages, across vast distances, we will always encounter someone in
her whose existence takes on mysterious meaning and power, whose life is
suddenly filled with love.

Romanus was an introvert by nature and never aspired to leave his native
Italy until his Uncle Julian called him across the Alps. Bishop Julian had
been sent to Le Mans in Gaul by Pope Clement; and under the circumstances
Romanus, who was destined for holy orders himself, could hardly refuse to
go.

The success of the new missionary and his companions was reported to be
breathtaking-miracles, cures, even resurrections from the dead. Yet Romanus
was not a demonstrative or emotional man, so he rejoiced in silence. Rare
indeed is the man who knows how t~ be happy and admiring and keep silent.

As soon as he had settled in, his uncle, who had already become known as the
great Saint Julian, honored as first bishop of Le Mans, ordained him a
priest; then he sent him off with his pilgrim's staff to preach the Gospel
at the mouth of the Gironde. It wasn't that Romanus was very eloquent-he
wasn't much of a talker and even less of an organizer-but he didn't need to
be because what he was bringing was life.

And so clear was his message that those who heard it came to be baptized by
him immediately. Calmly and quietly he put sin to death and then, with the
waters of baptism brought them to life again. From time to time he cast out
a small demon, effected a cure, cast out another demon ... but reluctantly
almost shyly.

In general uncles die before their nephews. When Julian died in 117, Romanus
returned to Le Mans, where all he wanted was to be allowed to stay near the
tomb of the man he venerated as a father.

Saint Thuribe succeeded St. Julian as bishop and entrusted Romanus with the
care of the tomb, which was in the basilica of the Holy Apostles. And
Romanus stayed there faithfully. Thuribe died and was buried next to Julian.
Romanus watched over them and led the people in worship of God.

A churchyard quickly developed, for it was the custom among early Christians
to bury their dead near the bodies of saints. And so, near the graveyards,
there sprang up little communities of clerics who looked after the burial of
their Christian brothers. They formed a minor order called the
"Grave-diggers."

Romanus was a "Grave-digger." He and his companions received the bodies of
the Christians of Le Mans that were brought to be buried near their first
bishops, Julian and Thuribe, thereby continuing the bond with the baptism of
the bodies and souls. When he felt that his end was near, Romanus wanted to
see Rome once again. Pavace, the former deacon who had now become bishop,
allowed him to go on condition that he promised to return.

Romanus kept his promise. He returned just in time for his death, which he
faced without fear.

At dawn on the 7th of November, probably in 385, with Pavace officiating and
his brother Grave-diggers around him, Romanus was laid to rest in the
basilica, next to Julian and Thuribe.

People continued to come to the basilica, but Romanus gradually faded from
the memory of men. But not
from the memory of the Church which, happily, forgets nothing (Benedictines,
Encyclopedia).

From:
http://www.saintpatrickdc.org/ss/1124.shtml

Saint Quote:
If it were given a man to see virtue's reward in the next life, he would
occupy his intellect, memory and will in nothing but good works-regardless
of danger or fatigue.
-St Catherine of Geona

Bible Quote
27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels:
and then will he render to every man according to his works. (Matthew
16:27)

<><><><>
SEVEN OBLATIONS OF THE MOST ADORABLE
BLOOD OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST

Eternal Father, I offer Thee the merits
of the most precious Blood of Jesus,
Thy beloved Son, and my divine Redeemer,
for the propagation and exaltation
of our beloved and holy Mother,
the Church; for the preservation
and prosperity of her visible head,
the Sovereign Pontiff and Bishop of Rome;
for the Cardinals, Bishops, and Pastors of souls,
and for all the Ministers of the sanctuary.

Then say Glory Be To The Father... and the following Aspiration:

May benediction and thanks
be always given to Jesus,
Who has saved us by His Blood.

2. Eternal Father, I offer Thee the merits
of the most precious Blood of Jesus,
Thy beloved Son, and my divine Redeemer,
for the peace and concord of Catholic kings and princes,
for the humiliation of the enemies of our holy Faith,
and for the happiness of the christian people.

Glory Be To The Father,... as before.

3. Eternal Father,I offer Thee the merits
of the most precious Blood of Jesus,
Thy beloved Son, and my divine Redeemer,
for the enlightening of infidels,
the extirpation of all heresies,
and the conversion of sinners.

Glory Be To The Father,... as before.

4. Eternal Father, I offer Thee the merits
of the most precious Blood of Jesus,
Thy beloved Son, and my divine Redeemer,
for all my relatives, friends, and enemies;
for the poor, the sick, and the afflicted,
and for all those for whom Thou knowest and willest
that I should pray.

Glory Be To The Father,... as before.

5. Eternal Father, I offer Thee the merits
of the most precious Blood of Jesus,
Thy beloved Son, and my divine Redeemer,
for those, who depart from this life today,
that Thou mayest free them from the pains of hell,
and mayest grant them a speedily admittance
in the presence of Thy glory.

Glory Be To The Father,... as before.

6. Eternal Father, I offer Thee the merits
of the most precious Blood of Jesus,
Thy beloved Son, and my divine Redeemer,
for all those who esteem
this great treasure of His Sacred Blood,
for those who are united with me
in adoring and honouring it,
and finally for those
who endeavour to promote this holy devotion.

Glory Be To The Father,... as before.

7. Eternal Father, I offer Thee the merits
of the most precious Blood of Jesus,
Thy beloved Son, and my divine Redeemer,
for all my spiritual and temporal wants,
for the relief of the holy souls in purgatory,
and especially for those
who have been most devoted
to the price of our Redemption,
and to the dolours and sufferings
of the Blessed Virgin Mary, our beloved Mother.

Glory Be To The Father,... as before.

Glory be to the Sacred Blood
of Jesus Christ, now and at all times,
and for all eternity.