Eugenia Smetisko (Eugenia Smith)

Jun 7, 2004, 8:59:26 PM6/7/04
I may have asked this before but wondering if anyone has any information
about EUGENIA SMETISKO, who claimed, as Anna Anderson, to be Grand Duchess
Anastasia.

I know that she was not beleived by many to this day, and was by others.
Would be appreciative of any extra information one might have.
Thank you.

T254

Jun 8, 2004, 2:27:55 AM6/8/04

As far as I know she had passed away a few years ago. DNA tests proved she was
not related to the royal family but a Polish peasant.
Bob Tallick

Nicholas Trahan

Jun 8, 2004, 8:23:27 AM6/8/04
She lived in Rhode Island for years. Started something called "St. Nicholas
House," and raised funds for this while still maintaining she was the
martyred Grand Duchess. As I am at work I don't have access to files on her.

Nicholas Trahan

Jun 8, 2004, 6:40:33 PM6/8/04
Thank you. I beleive this was Anna Anderson to whom are referring as Eugenia
never did a DNA test as far as i know. Many thanks.
"T254" <t2...@aol.com> wrote in message

Jun 8, 2004, 6:42:02 PM6/8/04
Many thanks. I had thought the St. Nicholas House (London?) had been founded
by the imperial tutor from England, whose name I cannot remember. I do
believe she resided in Rhode Island as you state. Many thanks, Nicholas.
"Nicholas Trahan" <ntr...@sarovpress.com> wrote in message

Nicholas Trahan

Jun 9, 2004, 8:54:58 AM6/9/04
There never was a DNA for Eugenia Smith. Her claim was found fraudulent
after the article in LIFE magazine in the 60's. However, there are those who
choose to believe otherwise. Don't confuse them with facts.

Nicholas

> From: "j" <yoal...@yahoo.com.ar>
> Newsgroups: alt.religion.christian.east-orthodox
> Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 22:40:33 GMT
> Subject: Re: Eugenia Smetisko (Eugenia Smith)

Nicholas Trahan

Jun 9, 2004, 8:55:00 AM6/9/04
The St. Nicholas House which Eugenia Smith founded is in Rhode Island. The
British St. Nicholas House was indeed established by Charles Sydney Gibbes
and is in Oxford.

For a wonderful new book about the relationship between CS Gibbes and the
Tsarevitch please see www.sarovpress.com click on the books link.

Nicholas

> From: "j" <yoal...@yahoo.com.ar>
> Newsgroups: alt.religion.christian.east-orthodox

Jun 9, 2004, 10:23:09 PM6/9/04
Many thanks for this useful information!
:-)

"Nicholas Trahan" <ntr...@sarovpress.com> wrote in message

Jun 9, 2004, 10:26:06 PM6/9/04
Again thanks. I have been looking for information about her claim but
haven't come across sources yet. I do know that she is buried in the
cemetery of Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville, NY. I beleive she was
closely acquainted, if not close personal friends with the son of Mr.
Gibbes, which I find thought provoking.

Again, many thanks.

"Nicholas Trahan" <ntr...@sarovpress.com> wrote in message

pku...@verizon.net

Jun 10, 2004, 2:48:23 AM6/10/04
OK, everybody -- normally I wouldn't follow or answer a thread like
this, but I'm afraid Mr. Trahan's rubbish is too much to bear. I am
no believer in Mrs. Smith's claim (I *am* a believer in "Anna
Anderson's" claim) but, please, let's get some things clear --

Indeed Mrs. Smith is buried in Jordanville, and that as an Orthodox
Christian who needs no further trashing after death ...

Mrs. Smith was a painter, quite a good one, and both an exhibition of
her work and a book are being prepared ...

Her claim was never "found fraudulent," much less "after the article
in LIFE magazine in the 60's." The exact date of the LIFE article is
October 18, 1963; anyone can find it in a library ...

I don't know of anyone who actually knew the children of the tsar who
believed Mrs. Smith's claim. I do know many people who knew her in
life, however (which I expect Mr. Trahan never did) and can attest to
her graciousness and integrity.

It's very easy now, when "DNA science" is supposed to have solved
everything, for amateurs like Mr. Trahan to sound off -- but "don't
confuse [that] with facts." The DNA results of 1993-94 are currently
being challenged by labs all over the world, and I guarantee all of
you that the last word on this story has not been said.

pk

www.peterkurth.com

Nicholas Trahan

Jun 10, 2004, 8:44:49 AM6/10/04
All this is coming from someone who believes Anna Manahan was a Grand
Duchess! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Show me where I wrote rubbish.

Nicholas Trahan

> From: pku...@verizon.net
> Newsgroups: alt.religion.christian.east-orthodox
> Date: 9 Jun 2004 23:48:23 -0700
> Subject: Re: Eugenia Smetisko (Eugenia Smith)

Jun 12, 2004, 8:26:01 PM6/12/04
Does anyone know if there are examples of paintings done by Grandduchess
Anastasia in her childhood? I know that there are many photographs that she
took.
Many thanks.

lorang...@gmail.com

Oct 24, 2013, 1:18:42 PM10/24/13
I do not know if you are still researching Eugenia Smetisko - but I did know her when she lived in Newport and would be interested in what information you are looking for - she was a lovely, kind and very interesting woman.

++

Oct 24, 2013, 2:47:19 PM10/24/13
Wow, this is a thread from 2004. However, by now, there is a Wikipedia article on the sweet lady

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenia_Smith