Pokrov Editorial: The Koumentakos Lawsuit

MJS

Sep 21, 2009, 2:14:37 PM9/21/09
Article: Pokrov Editorial: The Koumentakos Lawsuit

Link: http://pokrov.org/display.asp?ds=Article&id=1111

Author: Pokrov.org

Date Published: 9/21/2009

Publication: Pokrov.org

Related Document: Complaint: Koumentakos v. Metropolitan Herman

On September 17, 2009, Orthodox Christians for Accountability
announced that Archpriest Raymond Velencia had been elected to serve
as the clergy representative to the metropolitan council for the newly
reconstituted Diocese of Washington. There does not seem to be a
functioning website for this diocese, so it is not clear who comprised
the diocesan council that made this decision, with the exception of
Metropolitan Jonah Paffhausen, the archbishop of Washington.

For those who may not remember, Velencia was sued by Kristine Patico
Koumentakos on May 1, 2008. (Read that story here.) Among the
allegations in Koumentakos’ complaint was the claim that Velencia
published confidential information he obtained from Koumentakos in
confession and/or confidential counseling. A copy of the original
complaint is linked above.

While the Orthodox Church in America (OCA) won a dismissal from this
lawsuit earlier this year, Koumentakos can still exercise her right to
appeal. Moreover, litigation against Velencia continues. Considering
the seriousness of the allegations, it seems incomprehensible to us
that Velencia was given this honor.

Of course, this is not the first time that Velencia has been awarded
during this litigation. Shortly after the action was filed, Velencia
received a clergy award from Metropolitan Herman Swaiko. (Read that
story here.)

Pokrov is forced to conclude that nothing has changed in the OCA with
the election of Paffhausen as metropolitan. The message that
Velencia’s selection sends is clear. Those who have been hurt are not
to be believed, and the Church will go to any length to escape
accountability, even to the extent of distorting the truth.

As you peruse the additional documents from this case that we have
linked below, we think that you will find a vision of the Church that
will make your jaw drop. No one is accountable for a badly behaving
priest, bishops have no power over their clergy and the national
church has no power over what any of its hierarchs might do. Read
these documents, and then ask yourself what happened to Christ’s
Church.

OCA Motion for Summary Judgment

Affidavit of Metropolitan Herman Swaiko

Diocese's Motion for Summary Judgment

Affidavit of Archpriest Joseph Lickwar

Archpriest Constantine White's Motion for Summary Judgment

Affidavit of Archpriest Constantine White

AGG

Sep 21, 2009, 7:13:10 PM9/21/09
***If I didn't know better I'd say that the OCA was a political party!

Al

"MJS" <melanie...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Article: Pokrov Editorial: The Koumentakos Lawsuit

Link: http://pokrov.org/display.asp?ds=Article&id=1111

++

Sep 22, 2009, 1:20:37 AM9/22/09
On Sep 21, 2:14 pm, MJS <melanie.sak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Article: Pokrov Editorial: The Koumentakos Lawsuit

Dear Melanie,

The sacrament of confession should be sacrosanct, and the bishop over
any given priest in a position to defrock, praise, promote and
generally take responsibility.

That said, the situation is that I am personally really careful who I
confess to, and these days, i.e. after Father Raymond, it is not
uncommon to ask whether the confession is private, which is a sad
state of affairs. Father Raymond is a very popular priest and has run
his own show oever there in Columbia for a long time. Theodosius was
bishop when I first heard of the Columbia parish so he may have
assigned him originally. There are two priests assigned to the
Columbia parish.
The other priest claims that there is "more to the story" and that the
lawsuit is unfair, his opinion. I don't think it is unreasonable for
the Koumentakis family to bring a suit over either the unreasonable
firing or the publicizing of a confession. On the other hand, the
church can ill afford lawsuits but the couple did attempt other
resolution methods before bringing the lawsuits. .

After reading the affadavits, and etc. you posted on Pokrov, the
overwhelming sense one gets from reading them is that the OCA is
seeking to hold itself harmless from the lawsuit as if it had nothing
to do with Father Raymond. As for Met. Jonah, he has made a few
errors already, promoting Father Raymond being one, and approving
sending a manipulative abusive individual to a seminary (everyone is
entitled to a tenth or eleventh chance when being trained for the
priesthood?), but ove all, he seems overwhelmingly a blessing to the
OCA and has a heart

Melanie Sakoda

Sep 23, 2009, 2:43:24 PM9/23/09
On Sep 21, 10:20 pm, "++" <galja...@gmail.com> wrote:

<<As for Met. Jonah, he has made a few errors already, promoting
Father Raymond being one, and approving sending a manipulative abusive
individual to a seminary (everyone is entitled to a tenth or eleventh
chance when being trained for the priesthood?), but ove all, he seems
overwhelmingly a blessing to the OCA and has a heart>>

I'm afraid that I do not share your assessment. Guess we'll all just
have to wait and see what happens.

Melanie Jula Sakoda