Norse Gods, And Planets???

Rorik

Nov 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/11/99
ftitktpatgfa wrote in message <382BE1AE...@hotmail.com>...

>Are the Norse Gods linked with any particular planets?

Nope.

>For example, Freya has the qualities of Venus, such as
>providing love, and pleasure.

That's a (supposed) correspondence between Freyja and the Roman goddess
Venus, not the planet of the same name.

>I read on a web page that Heimdall was lunar, and
>had a passive energy.

Well, you can find some pretty strange things on web pages! :^)

>Thor would be martial.

Why?

>Any other ideas for other Gods, and planets?

I've plenty of other ideas for both gods and planets, but not for linking
the two!

regards,
rorik

Antero Runokivi

Nov 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/11/99

ftitktpatgfa wrote in message <382C20A2...@hotmail.com>...
>Dear Helpful Nordic Type Person,
>
>I was looking for planetary correspondences.
>
>I doesn't matter if they don't exist in Asatru.
>
>Who has some ideas along the lines I have expressed?
>
>Balder=Sun God, Solar
>
>Freya, and Frigga=Love, and Pleasure, Childbirth, Venus
>
>Thor=Protection, Warding, and Aggression, Mars
>
>Odin=God of the Dead, Fiery, Pluto, Mars?
>
>Njord=God of the Sea, Riches, Watery, Neptune.
>
>Heimdall=God of Protection, the Mind, Mercury, or Moon?
>
>There, I outlined a few...
>
>Others?
>
>ftitktpatgfa

actually if you want to go by what the ancients of the Classical world
equated our Gods with theirs it would be thus.

Woden=Mercury
Freyja=Venus
Tyr=Mars (sometimes Woden, but mostly Tyr)
Thunor=Jupiter
Njord or Ran =Neptune
Pluto, Saturn and Uranus are the tricky ones.
Sunna and Manni for the Sun and moon respectively.

these are mostly based on the way Tacitus and the like equated the Germanic
Gods.

Antero

Úlfgrim Vílmeiðson

Nov 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/11/99
Heilsa,

ftitktpatgfa <ftitkt...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Dear Helpful Nordic Type Person,
>
> I was looking for planetary correspondences.
>
> I doesn't matter if they don't exist in Asatru.

If you don't care if they exist or not in Asatru, why ask your question in
alt.religion.asatru? Surely you knew you were going to get an Asatru point
of view here...

If you're looking for simplistic correspondences of planets and deities, you
might do better posting to alt.astrology. The deity equivalencies that
you're quoting are based mostly on the Roman propensity to equate their
deities with others, and those equations weren't necessarily accurate. (Odin
was considered the same as the Roman Mercurius, for example, and Tyr with
Mars.)

> Who has some ideas along the lines I have expressed?

If you're asking what Norse Gods were historically associated with what
Roman Gods, I can help. But don't make the mistake that they're actually the
same individuals, nor that the planets associated with the Roman Gods have
anything to do with the corresponding Norse Gods.

> Balder=Sun God, Solar

Unfortunately, Sol was considered female in the Norse tradition.

> Freya, and Frigga=Love, and Pleasure, Childbirth, Venus

If you think Freya and Frigga are that closely associated, you need to do a
tad more research into Norse religion. Freya is probably the most complex
and multi-faceted Goddesses in Norse religion. Warrior, witch, lover; from
the mythology, you might as easily equate her with Ceres. And Frigga? Try
associating her with Iuno. Neither of which fits with your planetary
correspondence idea.

> Thor=Protection, Warding, and Aggression, Mars

Historically, Mars was equated with Tyr (who was in turn equated with the
North Star, rather than the actual planet Mars). The Norse didn't ascribe
the same significances to the stars that the Romans did. Since the Roman
system is what your astrology is based on, that pretty well scuttles the
whole Norse Gods / Astrological correspondences thing.

> Odin=God of the Dead, Fiery, Pluto, Mars?

Mercurius. As in his role as psychopomps, as well as their mutual
association with magic. But that's a lot different from the astrological
Mercury.

> Njord=God of the Sea, Riches, Watery, Neptune.
>
> Heimdall=God of Protection, the Mind, Mercury, or Moon?

The Mind is a planet? Wha'happen?

> There, I outlined a few...
>
> Others?

I think trying to cram the Norse Gods into a Roman astrological framework
just isn't going to work. Better to actually try to glean the Norse
star-lore from the remaining sources. There's actually a lot there in the
Lore; much remains to be discovered.

In frith,

Úlfgrim Vílmeiđson, Gođi

Gers Ey Gođorđ
http://www.gersey.org

aka

Flavius Vedius Germanicus, Augur

Nova Roma
http://www.novaroma.org

Bufford L. Hatchett

Nov 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/11/99
ftitktpatgfa wrote:

> Úlfgrim Vílmeiðson wrote:
>
> > Heilsa,
> >
> > ftitktpatgfa <ftitkt...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Dear Helpful Nordic Type Person,
> > >
> > > I was looking for planetary correspondences.
> > >
> > > I doesn't matter if they don't exist in Asatru.
> >
> > If you don't care if they exist or not in Asatru, why ask your question in
> > alt.religion.asatru? Surely you knew you were going to get an Asatru point
> > of view here...
> >

> I just did not want my ideas dismissed becausethey did not fit a previous
> posters cosmology.

> > If you're looking for simplistic correspondences of planets and deities, you
> > might do better posting to alt.astrology. The deity equivalencies that
> > you're quoting are based mostly on the Roman propensity to equate their
> > deities with others, and those equations weren't necessarily accurate. (Odin
> > was considered the same as the Roman Mercurius, for example, and Tyr with
> > Mars.)
> >

> Let me see if I can get this to work.I am looking at magical planetary
> correspondences,
> and not merely astrology.
>
> Look at the Hebrew archangels Michael, and Raphael.
> Magically speaking, some authors assign the archangel
> Michael to the Mercury sphere, and Raphael, to the Sun.
>
> These two archangels are also assigned to particular
> days of the week. Raphael is assigned to Sunday,
> but also switches days with Michael, for ruling
> archangels, and angels.
>
> Michael belongs to the Mercury sphere, but also
> has a fire sign, making him somewhat like Odin.

> > > Who has some ideas along the lines I have expressed?
> >
> > If you're asking what Norse Gods were historically associated with what
> > Roman Gods, I can help. But don't make the mistake that they're actually the
> > same individuals, nor that the planets associated with the Roman Gods have
> > anything to do with the corresponding Norse Gods.
> >
> > > Balder=Sun God, Solar
> >
> > Unfortunately, Sol was considered female in the Norse tradition.
>
> Nevertheless, he is a Norse sun God. Apollo was the Greek sunGod, and it was
> written that he was believed to be bisexual.

Apollo's bisexuality was no secret in Greek mythology.
His ex-boyfriend Hyacinthus was changed into the first
hyacinth after his death.

Just tryin' to help,
Bufford L. Hatchett

ftitktpatgfa

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
Are the Norse Gods linked with any particular planets?
For example, Freya has the qualities of Venus, such as
providing love, and pleasure.

I read on a web page that Heimdall was lunar, and
had a passive energy. Thor would be martial.

Any other ideas for other Gods, and planets?

ftitktpatgfa

ftitktpatgfa

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99

Rorik wrote:

> ftitktpatgfa wrote in message <382BE1AE...@hotmail.com>...
>

> >Are the Norse Gods linked with any particular planets?
>

> Nope.

> >For example, Freya has the qualities of Venus, such as
> >providing love, and pleasure.
>

> That's a (supposed) correspondence between Freyja and the Roman goddess
> Venus, not the planet of the same name.
>

> >I read on a web page that Heimdall was lunar, and
> >had a passive energy.
>

> Well, you can find some pretty strange things on web pages! :^)
>
> >Thor would be martial.
>
> Why?
>

> >Any other ideas for other Gods, and planets?

ftitktpatgfa

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
Úlfgrim Vílmeiđson wrote:

> Heilsa,
>
> ftitktpatgfa <ftitkt...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > Dear Helpful Nordic Type Person,
> >
> > I was looking for planetary correspondences.
> >
> > I doesn't matter if they don't exist in Asatru.
>

> If you don't care if they exist or not in Asatru, why ask your question in
> alt.religion.asatru? Surely you knew you were going to get an Asatru point
> of view here...

I just did not want my ideas dismissed becausethey did not fit a previous
posters cosmology.

> If you're looking for simplistic correspondences of planets and deities, you
> might do better posting to alt.astrology. The deity equivalencies that
> you're quoting are based mostly on the Roman propensity to equate their
> deities with others, and those equations weren't necessarily accurate. (Odin
> was considered the same as the Roman Mercurius, for example, and Tyr with
> Mars.)

Let me see if I can get this to work.I am looking at magical planetary
correspondences,
and not merely astrology.

Look at the Hebrew archangels Michael, and Raphael.
Magically speaking, some authors assign the archangel
Michael to the Mercury sphere, and Raphael, to the Sun.

These two archangels are also assigned to particular
days of the week. Raphael is assigned to Sunday,
but also switches days with Michael, for ruling
archangels, and angels.

Michael belongs to the Mercury sphere, but also
has a fire sign, making him somewhat like Odin.

> > Who has some ideas along the lines I have expressed?
>

> If you're asking what Norse Gods were historically associated with what
> Roman Gods, I can help. But don't make the mistake that they're actually the
> same individuals, nor that the planets associated with the Roman Gods have
> anything to do with the corresponding Norse Gods.
>
> > Balder=Sun God, Solar
>
> Unfortunately, Sol was considered female in the Norse tradition.

Nevertheless, he is a Norse sun God. Apollo was the Greek sunGod, and it was
written that he was believed to be bisexual.

Are all deities gender specific? Gabriel is the archangel of
the moon, and also has a passive, some would say feminine
energy. Gibril was worshipped as a deity, in Muslim cultures.

> > Freya, and Frigga=Love, and Pleasure, Childbirth, Venus
>

> If you think Freya and Frigga are that closely associated, you need to do a
> tad more research into Norse religion. Freya is probably the most complex
> and multi-faceted Goddesses in Norse religion. Warrior, witch, lover; from
> the mythology, you might as easily equate her with Ceres. And Frigga? Try
> associating her with Iuno. Neither of which fits with your planetary
> correspondence idea.

I am aware that both Goddesses have different characteristics.Freya has
traditionally been associated with love, and pleasure,
and Frigga comes from the same root word for pleasure, so
they both could be assigned to a Venusian planetary
correspondence. Note, I am not equating Freya,
and Frigga with the Roman Goddess, Venus.

> > Thor=Protection, Warding, and Aggression, Mars
>

> Historically, Mars was equated with Tyr (who was in turn equated with the
> North Star, rather than the actual planet Mars). The Norse didn't ascribe
> the same significances to the stars that the Romans did. Since the Roman
> system is what your astrology is based on, that pretty well scuttles the
> whole Norse Gods / Astrological correspondences thing.

It could still work.Why not assign both Thor, and Tyr
to the Mars planetary correspondence,
for their aggressive characteristics?

> > Odin=God of the Dead, Fiery, Pluto, Mars?
>

> Mercurius. As in his role as psychopomps, as well as their mutual
> association with magic. But that's a lot different from the astrological
> Mercury.

Mercury rules over the mind, and such.Perhaps Odin is fiery, has a fire sign?

> > Njord=God of the Sea, Riches, Watery, Neptune.
> >
> > Heimdall=God of Protection, the Mind, Mercury, or Moon?
>

> The Mind is a planet? Wha'happen?

The mind is an planetary attribute of bothMercury, and Moon.

> > There, I outlined a few...
> >
> > Others?
>

> I think trying to cram the Norse Gods into a Roman astrological framework
> just isn't going to work. Better to actually try to glean the Norse
> star-lore from the remaining sources. There's actually a lot there in the
> Lore; much remains to be discovered.

Thank you for sharing. I am still forming my own ideasabout these things, and
trying to make it work.

ftitktpatgfa

Hraustligr

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
I always found it fascinating that there are nine worlds in the norse pantheon
and nine planets in our solar system. Perhaps it is just coinsidence.

ro...@yolo.com

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
In article <382C20A2...@hotmail.com>,
ftitktpatgfa <ftitkt...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>>Are the Norse Gods linked with any particular planets?

>>Nope.

> Dear Helpful Nordic Type Person,

> I was looking for planetary correspondences.

> It doesn't matter if they don't exist in Asatru.

Sorry, I didn't understand your question. If it is okay to say the
correspondences exist even if they don't, then my answer would be:
Yep.

regards,
rorik

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Ivar Wiljonsen

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
Rorik I have read somewhere that the Brothers Grimm thought the original
character was the the Frowe, but was compared to the goddess Venus. This
is one of the oldest comparisons beyween Freja and the Roman, goddess,
Venus that I know of.

- Ivar

"Thou Shalt Not Think Highly Of Thyself"
- Law of Jante

ro...@yolo.com

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99
In article <2390-382...@storefull-108.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,

berser...@webtv.net (Ivar Wiljonsen) wrote:
> Rorik I have read somewhere that the Brothers Grimm thought the
original
> character was the the Frowe, but was compared to the goddess Venus.
This
> is one of the oldest comparisons beyween Freja and the Roman, goddess,
> Venus that I know of.

Hej, Ivar:

That sounds about right. Again, though, the poster wasn't asking about
supposed correspondences between our gods and those of other pantheons;
he/she was looking for correspondences between our gods and *planets.*
I think that sort of thing probably started with Freyja Aswynn or some
other Llewellyn author, not the Grimms.

paul...@my-deja.com

Nov 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/12/99

> I was looking for planetary correspondences.
>
> I doesn't matter if they don't exist in Asatru.

It does to an asatruar. Might matter to the Gods too.

> Who has some ideas along the lines I have expressed?

There's a bunch of qabalistically inspired correspondences for the Norse
Gods out there. However, it is worth noting that most Gods (Norse or
otherwise) have roles which don't lend themselves to the pigeonhole
ritual engineering technique of hermetic qabala (I say this despite the
fact that I am myself a magician in that tradition...knowing the
limitations of a system hardly invalidates it, after all)...

> Freya, and Frigga=Love, and Pleasure, Childbirth, Venus

Was Freya childbirth? I though that aspect was Frigga's domain. Note
that Freya also got half the dead heroes (the one's Odhinn didn't) at
Her feasting hall.

> Odin=God of the Dead, Fiery, Pluto, Mars?

Absolutely wrong. All-Father, King of the Gods, Lord of Valhall (land of
HEROES, not the poor, joe-shmo dead, who ended up in Helheim). In that
aspect, Jupiter. But also Trickster (Mercury), though this was a Roman
attribution so (coming from an aggressor who conquered some of the
tribes worshipping Wotan/Odhinn, might not go over big with Him).

Note that the Romans also ascribed Thor/Thunor/etc. to Jupiter because
of the thundergod role, rather than to Mars. Of course, Tyr/Tiwaz is
also Martial.

> Heimdall=God of Protection, the Mind, Mercury, or Moon?

Mind? Senses perhaps. Heimdall was the Sentry at Bifrost, and would
herald the attacks from the ettin come Ragnarok. Both the Moon and
Mercury have cognate concepts attached, but Mind? That is more Odhinnic
(Who brought through the runes, after all?), or more specialized figures
in the pantheon, like Mimmir, or Kvassir.

> There, I outlined a few...

Lose the 777 and crack open some Hilda Ellis-Davidson. I mean...let's
say you decide the assignment of Thor to Jupiter is something you can
work with...you think the Thunderer give's a rat's ass? You might get
yourself to a connection with 4-angled and 4-pointed symbols, burning
Jupiterian incenses, blue lights, etc. But facrineoutloud this is Thor.
Hammers, and feasting, mead by the hornfull, and goat stew on the
brazier, and invocations of the Vingthorr to hallow your working and
temple is more on His wavelength.

Sometimes, you need more mythos and less magick (theoretical kind) to
get the job done.

Paul

+ren+

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99

Sun = Baldur
Moon =
Mercury = Odin
Venus =
Mars = Thor
Jupiter = Freja
Saturn =

That's part of it.

L. M.

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99

+ren+ wrote:

Or:
Sun= Sunna (female)
Moon= Mani (male)
Mercury= Odin
Venus= Freya
Mars= Tyr
Jupiter= Thor
Saturn= Loki

...or not. This is mostly Tacitus, who may have been wrong.

Apples and oranges

Lavrans

Ben Runtz

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99
Looking for norse help.
+ren+ <r...@netgoths.com> wrote in message

Flaagg

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99
In article <Pine.BSI.3.96.991115143444.28803G-
100...@usr01.primenet.com>, +ren+ <r...@netgoths.com> says...

>Sun = Baldur
>Moon =
>Mercury = Odin
>Venus =
>Mars = Thor
>Jupiter = Freja
>Saturn =

The moon and the sun aren't planets.

HTH. I honestly do.

--
Aaron M. Henne -mhm 9x2-

"So, despite all the firepower you are still too gutless to
use your real name. That *is* what you're saying, isn't it?"
-Dirk "Too Dumb To Read A .Sig" Bruere
article <3825692A...@kbnet.co.uk>

http://www.flonk.org/mhm9x2
and
http://www.navicom.net/~flaagg

Gabe Hodges

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99
Lavrans writes:

>Or:
>Sun= Sunna (female)
>Moon= Mani (male)
>Mercury= Odin
>Venus= Freya
>Mars= Tyr
>Jupiter= Thor
>Saturn= Loki
>
>...or not. This is mostly Tacitus, who may have been wrong.
>
>Apples and oranges
>
>Lavrans

Tacitus, when making his reports, attempted to connect the members of the
Germanic pantheon to the Roman pantheon. Thus, Thor, being the chief god (for
most folks) was easily converted into Jupiter for Tacitus' purposes. Same goes
for Mercury & Odin or Venus & Freya. Tacitus' reports on this, in my opinion,
were somewhat correct, but flawed due to fidelity to the Roman pantheon.

Hope this helps.

Gabe Hodges

"I know some new tricks," said the Cat in the Hat. "A lot of good tricks. I
will show them to you. Your mother will not mind at all if I do."
--Dr. Seuss, The Cat in the Hat.

DerrickParfitt

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99
Where do you get the connection of Saturn with Loki? Saturn was the
father of Jupiter and an old god of agriculture and time. Saturn was
often pictured with a scythe showing the connections of these two
areas.

Derrick

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999 18:49:33 -0500, "L. M." <lavr...@earthlink.net>

+ren+

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
> Or:
> Sun= Sunna (female)
> Moon= Mani (male)
> Mercury= Odin
> Venus= Freya
> Mars= Tyr
> Jupiter= Thor
> Saturn= Loki
>
> ...or not. This is mostly Tacitus, who may have been wrong.
>
> Apples and oranges
>
> Lavrans

Yes, even Tacitus played this game. I get the associations from the days
of the week.

Sun = Sunday --> All I know is that Baldur and Loki have bright qualities.
Moon = Monday = Moon's day. ..what ever Norse got that represents.
Tuesday = Mercury = Twe's day who is mythically similar to Odin
Wednesday = Venus = Wodin's day, who is also similar to Odin
Thursday = Mars = Thor's day.
Friday = Jupiter = Freja's day.
Saturday = Saturn = Saturn's day. ..what ever god that represents in
Norse.

Manny Olds

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
In alt.religion.asatru +ren+ <r...@netgoths.com> wrote:

> Sun = Sunday --> All I know is that Baldur and Loki have bright qualities.

Baldur is beautiful to look at; Loki is a fire-thurse who is associated
with conflagrations. Sunna is the goddess in charge of the sun.

> Moon = Monday = Moon's day. ..what ever Norse got that represents.

Mani is in charge of the moon.

> Tuesday = Mercury = Twe's day who is mythically similar to Odin

Tiw is a variant spelling of Tyr, who is a distinctly different god from
Odin.

> Wednesday = Venus = Wodin's day, who is also similar to Odin

Wodan is an variant spelling of Odin.

> Thursday = Mars = Thor's day.

> Friday = Jupiter = Freja's day.

It is from "Frigga's day". Frigga is a different goddess from Freya
altogether.

> Saturday = Saturn = Saturn's day. ..what ever god that represents in
> Norse.

This is the non-norse joker in the weekdays.

--
Manny Olds <old...@clark.net> of Riverdale Park, Maryland, USA

"Actually, any magic save pure chaos can be explored via the scientific
method. I have to admit that designing experiments involving Creation
mythologies may be difficult, but... "-- Tony Quirke

Sagamaster

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
Manny Olds wrote:

> In alt.religion.asatru +ren+ <r...@netgoths.com> wrote:
>
> > Sun = Sunday --> All I know is that Baldur and Loki have bright qualities.
>
> Baldur is beautiful to look at; Loki is a fire-thurse who is associated
> with conflagrations. Sunna is the goddess in charge of the sun.
>
> > Moon = Monday = Moon's day. ..what ever Norse got that represents.
>
> Mani is in charge of the moon.
>
> > Tuesday = Mercury = Twe's day who is mythically similar to Odin
>
> Tiw is a variant spelling of Tyr, who is a distinctly different god from
> Odin.
>
> > Wednesday = Venus = Wodin's day, who is also similar to Odin
>
> Wodan is an variant spelling of Odin.
>
> > Thursday = Mars = Thor's day.
>
> > Friday = Jupiter = Freja's day.
>
> It is from "Frigga's day". Frigga is a different goddess from Freya
> altogether.
>
> > Saturday = Saturn = Saturn's day. ..what ever god that represents in
> > Norse.
>
> This is the non-norse joker in the weekdays.

In ON the name for this day was laušurdag, which means washing day. Ever wonder
why there were so many references to the Saturday Night Bath?
--
Sagamaster
"Now that I've given up hope, I feel much better!"

+ren+

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
Manny Olds wrote:

> This is the non-norse joker in the weekdays.

Thanks for the information.

Russ Gardener

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
On Wed, 17 Nov 1999 07:53:14 -0700, +ren+ <r...@netgoths.com> wrote:

>Sun = Sunday --> All I know is that Baldur and Loki have bright qualities.

>Moon = Monday = Moon's day. ..what ever Norse got that represents.

>Tuesday = Mercury = Twe's day who is mythically similar to Odin

>Wednesday = Venus = Wodin's day, who is also similar to Odin

>Thursday = Mars = Thor's day.
>Friday = Jupiter = Freja's day.

>Saturday = Saturn = Saturn's day. ..what ever god that represents in
>Norse.

Ren, I really don't know where you got these from unless they are
purely personal views.

The Roman connections to the days are completely different to the
accepted ones for a start. You only have to look to the French
language to see mardi=Mars=Tuesday; Mercredi=Mercury=Wednesday;
Jeudi=Jupiter=Thursday; Vendredi=Venus=Friday.

As to heathen Friday, I know a later respondent says (in my view quite
rightly) that it is named for Frigga rather than Freya, nevertheless
if we are going down the avenue of looking for links between our gods
and the Roman ones then Venus-Freya-Friday would be a more
satisfactory link. If Friday is named for Frigga then just another
reason why there is no real link between the systems.

Another matter is Saturday. I know of some who look to a link with
Baldur. Others see it as Surt's day.

Regards
Russ Gardener
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Atrium/5804

Taliesin of Earthstar

Nov 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/22/99
On Mon, 15 Nov 1999 21:55:59 -0000, "Ben Runtz"
<magic...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Looking for norse help.

alt.religion.asatru is definitely a better choice than
alt.religion.wicca. Unfortunately, us Wiccans are more than a bit
"eclectic" with our mythology and cultural knowledge, and the Asatru
crowd are much more focused on the topic.

Taliesin of Earthstar
talie...@hotmail.com

Courtesy is owed..Respect is earned..Love is given.

ur.g....@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2018, 11:37:21 PM4/20/18
On Thursday, November 11, 1999 at 1:00:00 AM UTC-7, Rorik wrote:
> ftitktpatgfa wrote in message <382BE1AE...@hotmail.com>...
>
> >Are the Norse Gods linked with any particular planets?
>
> Nope.
>
> >For example, Freya has the qualities of Venus, such as
> >providing love, and pleasure.
>
> That's a (supposed) correspondence between Freyja and the Roman goddess
> Venus, not the planet of the same name.
>
> >I read on a web page that Heimdall was lunar, and
> >had a passive energy.
>
> Well, you can find some pretty strange things on web pages! :^)
>
> >Thor would be martial.
>
> Why?
>

> >Any other ideas for other Gods, and planets?
>
> I've plenty of other ideas for both gods and planets, but not for linking
> the two!
>
> regards,
> rorik

Norse Planet name ideas

Sun=Balder
Mercury=Loki
Venus=Freyr(Alfheim/Vanr)
Earth=Freya(Folkvangr)
Mars=Thor(Valhalla)
Asteroid Belt=Odin, Aesir(Former Asgard)
Jupiter=Heli(Red spot of Isis/Hathor-evil Egyptian equivalent)
Saturn=Aurora(Original Paradise Sun)
Uranus=Frigga(Pleasure)
Neptune=Frozen Cosmic River of Creation
Pluto=Heimdahl

watcher...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2018, 3:51:36 AM7/30/18
Good God! There's a lot of misinformation going on here. This is why I seldom ever use the internet for solid ancient religious knowledge. So are there planetary connections between the polytheistic gods and the planets? Yes there is. For the most part the orbs of the Yggdrasil world tree are the names of the planets as they are known in Norse mythology. But the days of the week are also known to be the days of the planets and most of the days of the week are named after Norse gods.

Sunday the day of the sun is the day of Sol or Sunna the Norse goddess of the sun.

Monday is moon day the day of Mani is the moon God of Norse mythology.

Tuesday is the day of Mars the day of Tyr or Tiwaz. The Norse god of work government and war.

Wednesday is Wooden's day or Odin. This is the day of Mercury the seeker of wisdom and knowledge.

Thursday is Thor's day. The Norse God of Jupiter the God of lightning and Thunder the liberator.

Friday is the day of Frigg or Freya. Odin's wife and planet of Venus. Fertility and harvest.

Saturday is the day of Saturn. I know of no God or goddess of the Norse to represent this planet. A possible candidate could be Ymir. But in the nordic tradition Saturday is known as wash day because Saturday night is date night.
Something else to note. Saturn is the Roman name for Satan. However not to be confused with the name Lucifer. For Lucifer is the christ child the light bringer. Lucifer is not the masculine Saturn.
I'm sure if there are any monotheistic Christians in the crowd here you are looking at me funny right about now. Well you shouldn't be brainwashed into believing in lies. Return to the source material. It's called Pagan Christianity. The Romans created a false religion catholic branch of christianity is 100% Roman made. Ioshua's original adaptation is called Gnostic Christianity. 200 years later the Romans decreed by their laws that Catholicism was the original material. All Roman propaganda and lies. Ah sorry but I had to clarify that. Saturn is also known as Saturnalia the hunter of life. This is a reference to the Roman's winter solstice holiday known as the 12 days of Christ Mass. It's pretty much a 12 day Mardi Gras party in Rome. The Roman government took the holiday time off as well. So it was a truly lawless event.
Saturn is supposedly the Earth's first sun. A ruling star that enslaved the earth. Then was kicked out of orbit by Jupiter. Jupiter then led the earth to the sun. The whole hermetic doctrine about a war in heaven and archangel Michael throwing Satan out of heaven thing. The symbolism of the story may yet yield a little truth after all. The stories are all tied together. When Jesus was born Herod killed Jewish babies. When Moses was born the Pharaoh was killing the Isrealite baby boys. Chronos (Saturn) slew his father (Uranus) and he feared that one day one of his children would slay him. So he swallowed them one by one. But when he came to swallow Zeus (Jupiter) Gaia (Earth) wrapped Zeus's clothes in a rock and Chronos swallowed it believing it to be Zeus. Zeus was raised in secret until he was in his prime and then he defeated his father Chronos and freed the Titans.

It's the same story told over and over again. Hell even the Lion King is this story. The video game Chrono Trigger. The list could go on. But I hope this helps open your eyes a little.

tedmil...@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2018, 9:17:17 PM12/19/18
On Thursday, November 11, 1999 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, Rorik wrote:
> ftitktpatgfa wrote in message <382BE1AE...@hotmail.com>...
>
> >Are the Norse Gods linked with any particular planets?
>
> Nope.
>
> >For example, Freya has the qualities of Venus, such as
> >providing love, and pleasure.
>
> That's a (supposed) correspondence between Freyja and the Roman goddess
> Venus, not the planet of the same name.
>
> >I read on a web page that Heimdall was lunar, and
> >had a passive energy.
>
> Well, you can find some pretty strange things on web pages! :^)
>
> >Thor would be martial.
>
> Why?
>

> >Any other ideas for other Gods, and planets?
>
> I've plenty of other ideas for both gods and planets, but not for linking
> the two!
>
> regards,
> rorik

According the the Interpretatio Romanica and the Interpretatio Germanica they were through through the roles they played, as reflected in the days of the week, which the ancient Romans did name after planets. Tuesday is the day of Mars, and the Norse war god is Tyr (Tyr's day); Wednesday is Mercury, Woden's day (because Hermes escorted the dead to the afterlife, and so did Odin); Thursday is Jupiter, a lightning wielder, and the Norse Thunder god is Thor (Thor's day); and Friday is Venus after Frigg, Frigga, and Freya, for representing love.

So it's like the Romans associated Norse gods to planets, and Norse used that association to rename four weekdays, making it official. Interpretatio germanica