Angels*--Their Natural Knowledge

Weedy

Aug 12, 2013, 1:23:43 PM8/12/13
Angels*--Their Natural Knowledge

The Angels have a much more intimate knowledge of created things than we can ever attain to. They have more powerful intellects and have a nature more like to the nature of God. They see immediately and at a glance what we learn only by long study and reasoning. One day, through God's mercy, we hope to enjoy a knowledge like to theirs. Then our present ignorance will be changed into an excellent knowledge of God and of all created things!

Do the Angels know the future by their own natural powers? They can foresee all that takes place in strict accordance with natural law, but they cannot foresee what depends on the will of men, and still less what depends on God. They rest happy in their ignorance. So, too, I must not vex myself about the future, but must gladly leave all to God.

Do the Angels know the secrets of hearts? They can guess at a great deal. Even the devils can do this. They not only read the expression of our faces, but behold the picture painted on our imagination. Moreover, God reveals to them all that is necessary for their guidance and care of our souls. How careful I must be that my soul is pure from sin, and such as my Guardian Angel will behold with satisfaction, and that no picture is through my own fault painted there, from which my Guardian Angel would avert his eyes in shame and sorrow!

*Note--We are only talking about the good angels here

<<>><<>><<>>
August 12th - St. Murtagh (Muredach) of Killala, Bishop
Died c. 455.

The foundation of the diocese of Killala dates from the time of St.
Patrick, who placed his disciple St. Muredach over the church called in
Irish Cell Alaid. In a well that still flows close to the town, beside
the sea, Patrick baptized in a single day 12,000 converts, and on the
same occasion, in presence of the crowds, raised to life a dead woman
whom he also baptized. Muredach is described as an old man of Patrick's
family, and was appointed to the Church of Killala as early as 442 or
443. His feast-day is 12 August. It is probable that he resigned his see
after a few years, and retired to end his life in the lonely island in
Donegal Bay which has ever since borne his name, Innismurray. It was at
Killala that Patrick baptized the two maidens whom he met in childhood
at Focluth Wood by the western sea, and whose voices in visions of the
night had often pathetically called him to come once more and dwell
amongst them.

Reflection:
Sufferings were to the martyrs the most distinguishing mercy, extraordinary graces, and sources of the greatest crowns and glory. All afflictions which God sends are in like manner the greatest mercies and blessings; they are the most precious talents, to be improved by us to the increasing of our love and affection to God, and the exercise of the most heroic virtues of self-denial, patience, humility, resignation, and penance. They are also most useful and necessary to bring us to the knowledge of ourselves and our Creator, which we are too apt to forget without them. Wherefore, whatever crosses or calamities befall us, we must be prepared to bear them with a patient resignation to the Divine Will, we ought to learn from the martyrs to comfort ourselves, and to rejoice in them, as the greatest blessings. How base is our cowardice, and how criminal our folly, if, by neglecting to improve these advantageous talents of sickness, losses, and other afflictions we make the most precious mercies our heaviest curse!

Bible Quotes:
"The land of a certain rich man brought forth plenty of fruits. And he thought within himself, saying: What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits? And he said: This will I do: I will pull down my barns and will build greater: and into them will I gather all things that are grown to me, and my goods. And I will say to my soul: Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years, take thy rest: eat, drink, make good cheer. But God said to him: Thou fool, this night do they require thy soul of thee: and whose shall those things be which thou hast provided? (Luke 12:16-20)

Saint Quote:
“In the Gospel we see that merely because the rich man rejoiced in having stored up goods for many years, God was so angered He told him he must give an account of his soul that very night. We should believe, therefore, that as often as we rejoice vainly, God is watching and planning some chastisement and bitter drink according to our merits; for at times the sadness redounding from the joy is a hundred times greater than the joy.

"What Saint John says of Babylon in the Apocalypse is true, that she would receive torment in the measure in which she rejoiced and lived in delights. Yet the text does not mean that the sadness will not be greater than the joy. It shall be greater, since eternal torments are inflicted for brief pleasures. But it indicates that no fault will escape a particular punishment. For He Who will punish the idle word will not pardon vain joy."
--St. John of the Cross (Doctor, 1542-91) - "Ascent of Mount Carmel"

<><><><>
Thanksgiving for Baptismal Graces

I BELIEVE in Thee, O God the Father Almighty,
Creator of Heaven and earth.

Thou hast accepted me as Thy child, and in the laver of regeneration,
Thou hast constituted me as an heir of Thy Kingdom.

I believe in Thee, O Lord Jesus Christ, only-begotten Son, Who hast
suffered and died for me, and through Thy Precious Blood hast
ransomed me from the slavery of Satan.

I believe in Thee, O Holy Spirit, Who hast made me and consecrated
me as Thy temple and chosen me as a vessel of grace.

I renounce the devil with all his works and all his pomps. I renounce
all the evil desires of the flesh and the world with all its vanities.
and deceits, and I firmly resolve to lead a truly Christian life. May
the Most Holy Trinity strengthen my purpose, by whom I seal this
renewal of my Baptismal vows, in the Name of the Father, + and of the
Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.