Stowaway Marine Deep Cycle

Marty Olsen

Jan 31, 2003, 9:49:02 PM1/31/03
Im looking at geting a new deep cycle battery for my popup.
My old one is 6 years old.
Im looking at a Stowaway Marine/RV Deep Cycle Marine Battery model ST27DC180
Is this a good one to go with?
Thanks
Marty

Ken Shelton

Feb 1, 2003, 12:20:08 PM2/1/03
It should be a good one. Made by Exide, *not* a starting battery nor
combination starting & deep cycle, and good capacity with 180 minutes
Reserve Capacity, which is about as good as you'll find in a Group 27 size
battery. 12 month replacement warranty and 24 month pro-rated warranty
which aren't great but about average.

Ken

"Marty Olsen" <mol...@new.rr.com> wrote in message

ww...@cwnet.com

Feb 1, 2003, 12:59:16 PM2/1/03
Ken,

I think you have got it backwards. A Marine/Deep cycle IS a
combination starting & deep cycle, a compromise which does neither job
well. For a house battery, a true deep cycle is much better,
especially if you utilize a "smart" charging system.

George

Larrie Malobenski

Feb 2, 2003, 2:17:46 AM2/2/03
I had two Stowaways. One lasted a year and the other lasted 18 months.
Stowaway is not made by any specific company. It is just a marketing name
and will be made by various manufacturers in different areas with various
results. The same goes for Interstate.

Ken Shelton

Feb 2, 2003, 11:49:08 AM2/2/03
Here's what Exide says about this battery:
"Exide's Stowaway Deep Cycle battery. Designed to be discharged and
recharged time after time, the Deep Cycle Stowaway powers trolling motors,
bilge pumps, lights, depth finders and a variety of accessories on in your
boat or RV."

I know, from some makers the Marine battery is a combination, neither best
for engine starting nor best for deep cycle. This does not sound like one
of those.

Ken

<ww...@cwnet.com> wrote in message

Ken Shelton

Feb 2, 2003, 12:06:14 PM2/2/03
Stowaway is a brand name owned by Exide.
http://www.exide.com/brands.asp

Interstate batteries is independent (I think), but has their batteries make
in one of Johnson Controls twelve battery factories in the U.S. Johnson
Controls is the U.S.'s largest battery maker primarily manufacturing private
label batteries and other brands including Optima...
http://www.autobatteries.com/brands/index.asp
http://www.johnsoncontrols.com/bg/PressRoom/faqs/faqs_main.asp

There are several reasons why your Stowaway batteries may have failed
early...overage batteries too long from factory to you, poor treatment of
the battery in the warehouse or retailer, of maybe that production run was
just junk. (My father-in-law a couple of years back bought a premium
battery from a regional chain, Les Schwab. He had three replaced under
warranty 'cuz they were junk, then he got his money back and bought an
Interstate which works fine. Les Schwab has sold thousands of batteries to
satisfied customers before and since...maybe a bad production run.)

Ken

"Larrie Malobenski" <lmal...@alltel.net> wrote in message

Larrie Malobenski

Feb 2, 2003, 4:42:53 PM2/2/03
The Stowaways I bought from Sams Club did not have any reference to Exide
when I bought them about 9 years ago. Interstate is just a large nationwide
distributor. They buy from multiple manufacturers, some good some bad. I buy
from New Castle which is a sole sourced manufacturer.

Steve Tadlock

Feb 6, 2003, 5:07:54 PM2/6/03
If you have the room 2 6-volt golf cart batterys will give you 220 AH and
last for 5 years or more if you watch the water level

Steve

Feb 9, 2003, 10:30:14 AM2/9/03
Agreed. Do it, you won't be sorry.

"Steve Tadlock" <qua...@algxmail.com> wrote in message