Re: JERU vs. THE FUGEES..... what's the deal?

danielca...@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2018, 3:37:03 PM4/6/18
On Wednesday, October 16, 1996 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Layaway061 wrote:
> Who cares, i hate the fuckin FUGEES anyway

You're a chode, and nobody cares what you hate or don't hate

Saf B

May 5, 2021, 9:51:29 AM5/5/21
On Wednesday, 16 October 1996 at 03:00:00 UTC-4, Quiz wrote:
> What's the deal with this beef between Fugees and Jeru the Damaja?
> Anybody know...
> ie:
> "...no matter who you damage, you're still a false prophet"
> 'Zealots" -Fugees
> "I heard some emcees want to bring it but a female is one of their
> strongest men
> when I step, don't seek refuge, make it happen, the rappin ..."
> 'Black Cowboys' -Jeru the Damaja
> Anybody who the history behind this?
> peace
> quizativ
>
> --
> Straight No Chaser ONLINE
> http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/richard_howes

Wow, the last posts were from 1996, on this topic?? This was coming close to the end of (what I consider to be) the golden age of Hip-Hop. I found a video on youtube, try 'Lauren Hill vs. Jeru' with Crazy Sam. It's a heated debate between the two. I don't know if this is what sparked it all, or what year the video is from. Although I do remember darts being thrown in the tracks 'Fugees - Cowboys' and 'Jeru - Black Cowboy'.

I've read on here that Jeru was also upset about Wyclef using Bob Marley lyrics and samples, saying no one should touch anything Bob. Which I do agree with. The way Wyclef tries to emulate Bob's voice and style sometimes is very disrespectful. Also how (IMHO) Wyclef tried to re-create Jimi Hendrix's guitar burning was also a huge disrespect to the rock legend. These things show no originality and should not be emulated.