Influnialenial music

已查看 45 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Harry W Tatum

未读,
1992年5月1日 15:30:481992/5/1
收件人

As the story of the R. King trial unfolds there are more
questions that refuse to be answered, and more opinons being
expressed.

been a/some black people in the place of the majority whites.
Had there been a black man on trial, then surely whites would
have out numberd blacks. Can we say that whites are peers to
blacks, and not blacks peers to whites...I don't think so.

As I listen to Paul Harvey this morning, credit to this
riot was given to rap music. IMO, hardcore rap music tells about
past events that were seen or experienced. Am I wrong when
I say that rap does not promote violence. If a person listens
to Keith Sweat does that make them a nympho? Does Luther
cause sixteen yearolds to become mothers? NO.

Can we call this america, when law officers convict and
punish a man? Violating his rights, shown on national tv, and
then have a judge and a jury say "oohh, they didn't mean nothing
by that." This was yet another insult to Black america. Too many
cases of this are being sweep under the rug by our goverment and
city official.

Those are my thoughts....seeya monday!!!!!

Bruddah Hal

11642

未读,
1992年5月1日 16:41:351992/5/1
收件人
In article <1992May1.1...@infonode.ingr.com> tat...@infonode.ingr.com (Harry W Tatum) writes:

> Can we call this america, when law officers convict and
>punish a man? Violating his rights, shown on national tv, and
>then have a judge and a jury say "oohh, they didn't mean nothing
>by that." This was yet another insult to Black america. Too many
>cases of this are being sweep under the rug by our goverment and
>city official.

I think the whole Rodney King beating, etc. has revealed an underlying
racism in this country that I never knew existed (at least to the extent
I'm seeing). I can't believe anyone could watch that tape of the beating
and arrive at any conclusion other than that the policemen doing that were
behaving as animals and deserve to be punished. I would certainly sleep
better at night knowing that these men would never be back in a uniform
on the streets of any city in America. I am also appalled at the animal
behavior of the rioters in L.A. At least R.K. survived his beating, whereas
some of those victims didn't.

I am especially upset when I hear phrases in the newscasts that seek to
divide this country into warring camps of "us" and "them". I'm not sure
exactly how to take the term "Black America" used above. It sounds
pretty divisive.

Brad

Carlos Dragonslayer Butler

未读,
1992年5月1日 19:42:421992/5/1
收件人
In a previous episode on alt.rodney.king,
knightb@knightb@clunker.b21.ingr.com (11642) drops complete science:

>I am especially upset when I hear phrases in the newscasts that seek to
>divide this country into warring camps of "us" and "them". I'm not sure
>exactly how to take the term "Black America" used above. It sounds
>pretty divisive.

"Black America" recognizes the fact that there is a distinct
sub-culture amongs Blaks. This evident in the findings of the Nielsen
TV ratings which discovered that in the first half of the '91-'92
viewing season, the top 10 shows among Blaks or completely different
from the top 10 shows among everone.

--
Carlos Dragonslayer Butler
bu...@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu Chicago, Illinois

Preston J. Park

未读,
1992年5月1日 23:09:411992/5/1

(Harry W Tatum) writes:

> Can we call this america, when law officers convict and
> punish a man? Violating his rights, shown on national tv, and
> then have a judge and a jury say "oohh, they didn't mean nothing
> by that." This was yet another insult to Black america. Too many
> cases of this are being sweep under the rug by our goverment and
> city official.

It's up to the prosecution (It's friday, I can't spell) to convince the jury
that the accused are guilty beyond any reasonable doubt while the defense
does everything it can to thwart these efforts. If the defense is more
successful than the prosecution, is it the jury's responsibility to then
look at whether a not guilty verdict on two counts would be an "insult to
black America?"

A jury is chosen from a random selection of candidates and approved (grilled)
by both the defense and the prosecution. I refuse to believe that there was any
racism involved on the jury's part, and you do not have enough information to
make a judgement against the members of the jury either (or the Judge or
anyone else for that matter.)

--
| Preston Park |____________________________________________________________
| 1:280/108 | 2frj...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu | pp...@tesla.ece.ukans.edu |P.|

"The guardian of the realm raced about in happy puppy circles." -- KP

Scott W Roby

未读,
1992年5月3日 12:43:041992/5/3
收件人
In article <1992May1.2...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> 2frj...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Preston J. Park) writes:

>A jury is chosen from a random selection of candidates and approved (grilled)
>by both the defense and the prosecution. I refuse to believe that there was any
>racism involved on the jury's part,

Yeah, and I see the trial was moved to a white suburban area. Hmmm...
My problem is not so much with the jury as with the authorities in
charge of the case, and the Bush administration, which is so out-of-touch
with the poor and racially-oppressed portion of our population that they
did not anticiapte such an outpouring of outrage. It took two days for
Bush to formulate any action. A more concerned and better informed
administration would have acted quickly (hours or minutes) with the
Grand Jury idea to head off possible riots. Asleep at the wheel...

>and you do not have enough information to
>make a judgement against the members of the jury either (or the Judge or
>anyone else for that matter.)

Oh, so your cable company doesn't get the Court TV channel which has been
covering the trial in detail? You have no right to assume that other
people are uninformed, just because you may be.

--
Scott W. Roby *This sentence no verb.* "No Matter where you go..
Phys.& Astr.Dept. ///// / / / *|* \ \ \ \\\\\ there you are!"

Mason Jones

未读,
1992年5月4日 13:48:361992/5/4
收件人
2frj...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Preston J. Park) writes:
:
: It's up to the prosecution (It's friday, I can't spell) to convince the jury

: that the accused are guilty beyond any reasonable doubt while the defense
: does everything it can to thwart these efforts. If the defense is more
: successful than the prosecution, is it the jury's responsibility to then
: look at whether a not guilty verdict on two counts would be an "insult to
: black America?"

I think to some extent it is up to the jury to at least think ahead
about what their decision implies. I doubt they did that.

: A jury is chosen from a random selection of candidates and approved (grilled)

: by both the defense and the prosecution. I refuse to believe that there was any
: racism involved on the jury's part, and you do not have enough information to
: make a judgement against the members of the jury either (or the Judge or
: anyone else for that matter.)

I'm quite certain there was at least some racism involved. I also believe
that the members of the jury did what they thought was right -- the
problem isn't with the jury, but with the social breakdown which made
them think the way they do. The only reasoning I can come up with for
their verdict is simply that this all-white jury could sympathize with
the cops, and therefore believe that the beating wasn't excessive
force. I cannot bring myself to believe that they would have felt the
same way had it been a white man being beaten. Their perceptions of the
event would have been quite different, simply because of the way people
in this country are being conditioned.
Seeing the video, it is inconceivable to me that *any* extenuating
circumstances could have altered the verdict. I've read the reasoning
behind the verdict, and it just doesn't fly. Even assuming the poor cops
were scared of him, they thought he was attacking them, the amount of
force used was appalling. I have to figure that the white jurors
have a different feeling, and I can't imagine what it was.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Mason Jones Charnel House Productions
P.O. Box 170277, San Francisco 94117-0277 U.S.A.
...{uunet,sun}!hoptoad!dante!mason or dante!ma...@hop.toad.com

Joe Nappa

未读,
1992年5月8日 00:21:261992/5/8
收件人
Ice Cube's "song" "Black Korea" was probably not helpful.

--
j...@archsci.arch.su.oz.au *"As genitals to wanton boys are we to th' gods *

muxed...@gmail.com

未读,