Wack tracks on dope albums and vice versa

Adrunk

Jun 11, 2002, 11:47:41 AM6/11/02
One Time 4 Your Mind? Illmatic is only so highly rated by me because it
epitomises the idea of a "complete" album. It's not ridiculously monumental
like a ...Black Planet or a Cuban Linx, it's just incredibly solid. But
I've never really enjoyed listening to this track as much as the rest and
whenever I listen to the CD in the car I - 9 times out of 10 - skip it. Is
this blasphemy?

Sophisticated Bitch? I was never around in the mid-eighties (well I was,
but umm yeah) to be sucked into the rock-rap explosion/craze/fad, and if
that has something to do with my hatred of this heap o' crap, then so be it.

Clap Your Hands from Midnight Marauders? Phife's verse on this is so shite,
maybe Eminem got the idea for his gay asskissing list on his new album from
this verse - went something like "my favorite rappers are EPMD, and can't
forget De La, due to originality". And "If I ever went solo, my favorite
rapper would be me" << haha you have shite taste mate. The beat is crap
too, it's totally empty and sounds pretty cheap, and the scratched chorus
isn't done that great.

The Day You're Mine from Kane's first? Aaargh. Think "karaoke night at a
crummy bar".

Shark Niggas Skit? What the fuck's the point in this fellas? You're meant
to be Mafioso, why the fuck are you talking about people biting your raps.
Totally destroys the flow of the LP.

Promentalshitbackwashpsychosis Enema Squad.........now this IS blasphemy.
Well I love the ramblings, but on the musical side it's a bit tame compared
to the rest of the album.

The Tourist from OK Computer? C'mon lads, you got all the way through the
album absolutely perfectly then you let yourselves down with this quasi-epic
overlong dirge.

I Don't Like To Dream About Gettin' Paid (shit beat)?
Somebody For Me (just shit)?
Gangsta Shit (shit gangsta)?
Song for My Sugar Spun Sister (sounds a bit like the Smiths which is a bad
thing)?

But on the flipside.......

Blow My Buzz & Purple Pills? The D12 album is utter bollocks and I never
listen to it, but I like the two drugs tunes. Purple Pills is great fun and
Blow My Buzz is pretty entertaining too. "Don't call me Bizarre, I'm the
Reverand Jesse Jackson"

Mantis? Classic Wu banger on one of the shitty Wu albums which ruined their
reputation, Masta blows the doors off.

Atombomb from the mediocre last Fluke album? Bangin'.

And of course Nas Is Like....

Ad....

Timid

Jun 11, 2002, 1:20:15 PM6/11/02

> Mantis? Classic Wu banger on one of the shitty Wu albums which ruined their
> reputation

did Ad just admit that?

Timid

Adrunk

Jun 11, 2002, 2:03:53 PM6/11/02
"did Ad just admit that?"

I have never said or implied that all of the Wu are constantly dope or all
of their albums are dope, far from it. I don't ride them.

Ad......

locdogjr

Jun 11, 2002, 2:56:54 PM6/11/02
on Xzibits first CD the tracks with hurricane G are awful

on Choclairs new CD, Mach 4 is the only listenable song

"Adrunk" <jam...@ukgateway.net> wrote in message

MJ

Jun 11, 2002, 4:23:13 PM6/11/02
> One Time 4 Your Mind?

One of the tracks, if any, from the album that I access
if I feel just like playing some "ILLMATIC" stuff (I usually
play the whole of it). It's very basic, kinda epitomizes the
simple rapper-rhyming-to-a-beat-vibe, but on a very
high level, of course. How can you not feel this?
Nas over an Extra P beat, this is heaven. Damn, remember
when Nas was able to FLOW? That was it.
I won't even go into the lyrics... "A crime couldn't beat a
rhyme." "Live at any jam, I couldn't count all the parks
I raided."
This track is really "ILLMATIC" in a nutshell, or rather
the story behind "ILLMATIC", so to speak.

> Sophisticated Bitch?

You could make a point for that. Although you have
to realize that without using guitars throughout,
"YO BUM RUSH THE SHOW" is very much
rock aesthetic all the way.

> Clap Your Hands from Midnight Marauders? Phife's verse on this is so
shite,
> maybe Eminem got the idea for his gay asskissing list on his new album
from
> this verse - went something like "my favorite rappers are EPMD, and can't
> forget De La, due to originality".

Oh come on now. That's a classic Tribe moment.
He sounds kinda off, I admit that, but who else
would think of giving it up to fellow rappers.

And "If I ever went solo, my favorite
> rapper would be me"

That's a rapper's synthesis. It all makes sense to me.
Who else is he going to name?

> The Day You're Mine from Kane's first?

Oh yes.

> Shark Niggas Skit? What the fuck's the point in this fellas? You're
meant
> to be Mafioso, why the fuck are you talking about people biting your raps.

What are you talking about? It's not like they would keep the Mafioso
gimmick going throughout. This is one of the album's highlights to me,
Ghost just venting off, even giving it up to Nas. These moments are
what nurture that album, they take it beyond a simple rap album.

> Promentalshitbackwashpsychosis Enema Squad.........now this IS blasphemy.
> Well I love the ramblings, but on the musical side it's a bit tame
compared
> to the rest of the album.

Don't know this one. Prince Paul?

> I Don't Like To Dream About Gettin' Paid (shit beat)?
> Somebody For Me (just shit)?
> Gangsta Shit (shit gangsta)?
> Song for My Sugar Spun Sister (sounds a bit like the Smiths which is a bad
> thing)?

You're losing me here.

Matt

Adrunk

Jun 11, 2002, 6:16:00 PM6/11/02
"You could make a point for that. Although you have to realize that without
using guitars throughout, "YO BUM RUSH THE SHOW" is very much rock
aesthetic all the way."

I don't mind guitars as such, it's just a horrifically tacky track and I
think the only reason it wasn't vilified at the time was probably because of
the whole rock-rap fashion....if they had released it three or four years
later it would have bombed.

"who else would think of giving it up to fellow rappers."

Eminem.......

". This is one of the album's highlights to me,"

A skit with Ghost & Rae talking bullshit is one of the album's highlights?

"Don't know this one. Prince Paul?"

Come on Matt........best band ever apart from two or three haha,
Funkadelic.......

"You're losing me here."

DPG
Heavy D
Outkast
Stone Roses

Ad.....

Timid

Jun 11, 2002, 8:12:47 PM6/11/02
what? you ride them like your colon was the outerskin of their dicks

Timid

noahhend...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2018, 3:09:42 PM2/2/18