Most Influential *Albums* of all Time

JenFSPR

Jun 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/7/96

I'd have to take Slick Rick - Great Adventures... off of the honorable
mention and add Dr. Dre - The Chronic and (I know I'm going to get hell
for this one, but...)Beastie Boys Licensed to Ill. Also, did you mention
De La Soul - 3 Feet High & Rising? If you didn't - I did.

SDogg506

Jun 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/7/96

Top Ten Jamz is way too hard, but I think we could with some thought
compose a list of all-time hip-hop albums that were arguably the greatest.
Some qualifications to think about in my opinion: Longevity(does it still
sound good today?), innovation and originality, quality plus content...

So to start it off I'll give my top ten:
10. PE-It Takes a Nation of Mils...
9. Tribe Called Quest-Midnight Maruaders
8. EPMD-Unfinished Business
7. Run DMC-Raising Hell
6. Ice Cube-Death Certificate
5. Wu-Tang Clan-Enter the 36 Chambers
4. LL Cool J-Bigger and Deffer
3. Nas-Illmatic
2. NWA-Straight Outta Compton
1. Eric B. and Rakim-Paid in Full

Honorable Mention:Slick Rick-The Great Adventures of...
Gangstarr-Step in the Arena
Ice Cube-America's Most Wanted
Snoop Doggy Dogg-Doggystyle

Adam B. Buchwald

Jun 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/7/96
to SDogg506

On 7 Jun 1996, SDogg506 wrote:

> Top Ten Jamz is way too hard, but I think we could with some thought
> compose a list of all-time hip-hop albums that were arguably the greatest.
> Some qualifications to think about in my opinion: Longevity(does it still
> sound good today?), innovation and originality, quality plus content...
>

> 9. Tribe Called Quest-Midnight Maruaders

I am a tried and true fan of the Tribe, but I beg to differ on
this selection. In terms of longevity, this album is not truly "old" yet
(though it is older than some of the other proposed influential albums).
Innovation -- this album was tight on most tracks, but definitely
followed the style they laid out in The Low End Theory. Low End Theory
was more original at the time of its release (the key to what influential
is all about) and Phife Dawg was truly on point on all the tracks whereas he
gives mention to Barney four times on midnight marauders. They are still
the shit, and I anxiously await the release of the new album (supposedly next
month), but in terms of top 10 influential albums, the tribe's
contribution must be the Low End Theory (or even people's instinctive...
over midnight marauders).

Brian Kirk Chambers

Jun 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/9/96

Somewhere in this Top 10 there should be:

The Chronic
Snoop's debut
The Low End Theory
DigPlans debut
A Nation of Millions ...

Yo each of these albums kicked off a series of copycats
and bitters to this day. If we're talking 'influential'
add these. And yeah, you're right license to ill should
be here and you will catch hell for it.

out

--
"...and I'm sayin' though what is what when I can't even get comfortable
in my own crib when the Supreme Court is like all up in my uterus!"

Cthulhu

Jun 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/9/96

In article <4p8b1f$k...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, sdog...@aol.com (SDogg506) wrote:
>Top Ten Jamz is way too hard, but I think we could with some thought
>compose a list of all-time hip-hop albums that were arguably the greatest.
> Some qualifications to think about in my opinion: Longevity(does it still
>sound good today?), innovation and originality, quality plus content...
>
>So to start it off I'll give my top ten:
>10. PE-It Takes a Nation of Mils...
> 9. Tribe Called Quest-Midnight Maruaders
> 8. EPMD-Unfinished Business
> 7. Run DMC-Raising Hell
> 6. Ice Cube-Death Certificate
> 5. Wu-Tang Clan-Enter the 36 Chambers
> 4. LL Cool J-Bigger and Deffer
> 3. Nas-Illmatic
> 2. NWA-Straight Outta Compton
> 1. Eric B. and Rakim-Paid in Full
>
>Honorable Mention:Slick Rick-The Great Adventures of...
> Gangstarr-Step in the Arena
> Ice Cube-America's Most Wanted
> Snoop Doggy Dogg-Doggystyle

Don't forget Straight Out Of Compton, It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us
Back and Rhyme Pays (if you don't know who did these then you're truly sad)

Robert A Berry

Jun 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/10/96

"Sex Packets" DIGITAL UNDERGROUND
"Fear of a Black Planet" PE
"License to Ill" BEASTIE BOYS
"The Chronic" DR DRE
"Death Certificate" ICE CUBE
"Body Count" BODY COUNT
"It Takes a Nation of Millions" PE

-Kev-

Jun 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/10/96

On Sun, 9 Jun 1996, Cthulhu wrote:

[...]> >So to start it off I'll give my top ten:

> >10. PE-It Takes a Nation of Mils...
> > 9. Tribe Called Quest-Midnight Maruaders
> > 8. EPMD-Unfinished Business
> > 7. Run DMC-Raising Hell
> > 6. Ice Cube-Death Certificate
> > 5. Wu-Tang Clan-Enter the 36 Chambers
> > 4. LL Cool J-Bigger and Deffer
> > 3. Nas-Illmatic
> > 2. NWA-Straight Outta Compton

> > 1. Eric B. and Rakim-Paid in Full [...]

> Don't forget Straight Out Of Compton, It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us
> Back and Rhyme Pays (if you don't know who did these then you're truly sad)

I guess by this time you must know that your additions are kinda
redundant, Cth'. (Though I agree _Rhyme Pays_ was important too...)

-Kev-

Greg Wilson

Jun 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/10/96

In no particular order:

"Three Feet High & Rising" - De La Soul
"Paul's Boutique" - Beastie Boys
"Licensed To Ill" - Beastie Boys
"Low End Theory" - Tribe Called Quest
"Goin' Off" - Biz Markie
"EFIL4ZAGGIN" - NWA
"Straight Outta Compton" - NWA
"As Nasty As They Wanna Be" - 2 Live Crew
"The Chronic" - Dr. Dre
"Nation of Millions" - Public Enemy
"Great Adventures of Slick Rick"

Douglas Smith

Jun 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/10/96

In article <4p8b1f$k...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> SDogg506 wrote:
>Date: 7 Jun 1996 00:26:23 -0400
>From: sdog...@aol.com (SDogg506)
>Sender: ro...@newsbf02.news.aol.com
>Newsgroups: alt.rap
>Subject: Most Influential *Albums* of all Time

>Top Ten Jamz is way too hard, but I think we could with some thought
>compose a list of all-time hip-hop albums that were arguably the greatest.
> Some qualifications to think about in my opinion: Longevity(does it still
>sound good today?), innovation and originality, quality plus content...
>

>So to start it off I'll give my top ten:
>10. PE-It Takes a Nation of Mils...
> 9. Tribe Called Quest-Midnight Maruaders
> 8. EPMD-Unfinished Business
> 7. Run DMC-Raising Hell
> 6. Ice Cube-Death Certificate
> 5. Wu-Tang Clan-Enter the 36 Chambers
> 4. LL Cool J-Bigger and Deffer
> 3. Nas-Illmatic
> 2. NWA-Straight Outta Compton
> 1. Eric B. and Rakim-Paid in Full
>

>Honorable Mention:Slick Rick-The Great Adventures of...
> Gangstarr-Step in the Arena
> Ice Cube-America's Most Wanted
> Snoop Doggy Dogg-Doggystyle

Is it just my imagination or did someone commit a cardinal sin and not
mention "Criminal Minded" by B.D.P.?

Cthulhu

Jun 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/10/96

Uhm... Body Count wasn't a rap album.

Robert A Berry

Jun 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/11/96

Well not PURE rap...certainly rock influenced, but an incredibly important
album in the evolution and ultimate survival of rap music. It showed that
rap artists can make some music in genre's other than shouting above some
beats and samples. This album was crucial in getting the soundtrack to
JUDGMENT NIGHT made, for example.

If anything, BODY COUNT's album was influential for RAP because it brought
so many of the ugly aspects of censorship to light. "Cop Killer", though
not a rap song, really pushed the envelope of how far a group can take it.
This album helped speed the heat against Bob Dole's feared Gangsta Rap.
It certainly made ICE T the most important rap voice against censorship
of the day. Too bad he caved and allowed a cleaned up rerelease later.

-Robert

The BAD GUY, aThoL

Jun 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/11/96

On 11 Jun 1996, Robert A Berry wrote:

> beats and samples. This album was crucial in getting the soundtrack to
> JUDGMENT NIGHT made, for example.

and Judgement Night was a good album?!? I think not! I think the whole
thing of throwing together hip hop and (so-called) alternative artists
together willy nilly was wrong from the start. And it showed in the product.

> If anything, BODY COUNT's album was influential for RAP because it brought
> so many of the ugly aspects of censorship to light. "Cop Killer", though
> not a rap song, really pushed the envelope of how far a group can take it.
> This album helped speed the heat against Bob Dole's feared Gangsta Rap.
> It certainly made ICE T the most important rap voice against censorship
> of the day. Too bad he caved and allowed a cleaned up rerelease later.

The only reason why Body Count became influential in hip hop b/c there
was a lead singer who was a rapper, and that it was a Black Rock and Roll
group. the media missed the whole boat--Body Count was a *Rock* outfit
that had a lead singer who rapped. It's funny nobody mentions how hip hop
got mixed up in all that. They didn't go for Rock, they attcked hip hop
and that's what's important. Regardless of what hip hop artists do now
these days, everything they do is going to be perceived as having
something to do with hip hop. Like they aren't real people...

My $0.02...

THE BAD GUY, ATHOL ___________________________________________________
"You have to stand for something or else you will fall for everything"
____________________________________________________ YU10...@YORKU.CA

Cthulhu

Jun 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/12/96

In article <4phkmo$n...@news-e2c.gnn.com>, dsmit...@gnn.com (Douglas Smith) wrote:

>>Top Ten Jamz is way too hard, but I think we could with some thought
>>compose a list of all-time hip-hop albums that were arguably the greatest.
>> Some qualifications to think about in my opinion: Longevity(does it still
>>sound good today?), innovation and originality, quality plus content...
>>
>>So to start it off I'll give my top ten:
>>10. PE-It Takes a Nation of Mils...
>> 9. Tribe Called Quest-Midnight Maruaders
>> 8. EPMD-Unfinished Business
>> 7. Run DMC-Raising Hell
>> 6. Ice Cube-Death Certificate
>> 5. Wu-Tang Clan-Enter the 36 Chambers
>> 4. LL Cool J-Bigger and Deffer
>> 3. Nas-Illmatic
>> 2. NWA-Straight Outta Compton
>> 1. Eric B. and Rakim-Paid in Full
>>
>>Honorable Mention:Slick Rick-The Great Adventures of...
>> Gangstarr-Step in the Arena
>> Ice Cube-America's Most Wanted
>> Snoop Doggy Dogg-Doggystyle
>

>Is it just my imagination or did someone commit a cardinal sin and not
>mention "Criminal Minded" by B.D.P.?

Not to mention "O.G. Original Gangster", by Ice-T

Hiphopa

Jun 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/15/96

WHAT ABOUT EXTINCTION AGENDA BY ORGANIZED KONFUSION, OR INNER CITY GRIOTS
BY THE FREESTYLE FELLOWSHIP. ALTHOUGH THAT ALBUM DID'NT SELL BUT WHO
CARES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jon B Romano

Jun 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/17/96

Can anyone shed light on the new release date for the Beats, Rhymes and
Life album from ATCQ?

Greatly appreciated.

BFunk rocks 4 ever......

NINJA-X

Jun 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/17/96

>Greatly appreciated.

>BFunk rocks 4 ever......

August. 16th I think.

Ninja

"FUCK FEAR!!" -Tommy Gunn (RIP)
"Pullin' the Tec out the dresser,
police got me under pressure" -Nas
"You can't cross out a X" -RBX

Indiana Jones

Jun 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/18/96

In article <31C57A...@brunel.ac.uk>,

Jon B Romano <ee9...@brunel.ac.uk> wrote:
>Can anyone shed light on the new release date for the Beats, Rhymes and
>Life album from ATCQ?
>
>Greatly appreciated.

July 30th

Be sure to check out The Krib for all kinds of hip-hop new release
dates, images, news, links, album reviews, and more. A tradition
since April 1st. Constantly updated, featuring mad info. Peace, Indy.

--
-=-=-=-= Indiana Jones -=-=- kybj...@indiana.edu -=-=-=-=-=-
**The Krib** http://silver.ucs.indiana.edu/~kybjones/home.htm

Dischord00

Jun 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/25/96

my vote goes to b boys liscense tio ill

Lee Pearce

Jun 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/27/96
The Chronic. For the next 2 years, everything that came out TRIED to copy
Dre's formula.

Dischord00 (disch...@aol.com) wrote:
: my vote goes to b boys liscense tio ill

MonkeeMan

Jun 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/27/96
Two albums that come to mind are Criminal Minded by BDP and the Great
Adventures of Slick Rick!

Later,

Andy

Sae Kim

Jun 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/27/96
The Chronic is nothing but a bite of DoggyStyle. Dr Dre wanted to be
just like Dr Dre, he is pathetic. He should be his own man not a cheap
immitation. Dr Dre is Dr Dre not Dr Dre. I bet Dre Dre was pissed when
Dr Dre tried to copy Dr Dre's style. Just lucky Dr Dre is a nice guy
other wise Dr Dre would have gotten beaten down by Dr Dre for Dr Dre's
shark like actions against Dr Dre. Anyways, Do you know when Dr Dre's
new shit is about? I hope he stays Dr Dre this time not a stupid
immitation of Dr Dre, that would piss both me AND Dr Dre to death yo.

Simon Sae
AKA Infinti J30

Jason W Mchugh

Jun 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/27/96
Sae Kim (sn...@morgan.ucs.mun.ca) wrote:
: The Chronic is nothing but a bite of DoggyStyle.

Didn't Chronic come out before Doggystyle?

Seems like you've only proven how much influence the Chronic LP had on
future hip-hop projects.

Fill me in if I'm missing your point.

Jason
j...@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

Sae Kim

Jun 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/27/96
um, I was just joking with that post, you don't get it? hhmmm Dr Dre
biting Dr Dre? Do that really seem serious? hhhhmmmmmmm

HHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simon Sae
AKA Ford Explorer

MCM

Jun 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/29/96
In the 90's I would have to say

1991- NWA- Niggaz 4 Life(epic album with out a doubt. This is a prelude to the CHRONIC)

1992- Dr.DRE- The Chronic, although i like Niggaz 4 life better, this shit still had an impact.
Everyone on the west and east coast tried to bite it.

1993- Wu-Tang- 36 CHAMBERS, Boy did this turn everybody's head in a different direction.
Especially east coast, which after 36 Chambers brought out better quality Albums.

1994- Was a wack fucking year. No album stands out in my mind except NAS, but it was too short.
Biggie, but all his shit was samples. Meth(ok)

1995-Yes my favorite fucking year, DJ quik, Tha alkaholiks, Mobb Deep, Bone, Raekwon, ODB,
Pharcyde, GZA,AZ, Cypress Hill(PURO CYPRESS!!), what excellent year for good listening.

1996- What a joke. The first 5 months weren't shit. The Fugees and Eazy(11523) epic albums. But
then an album burst onto the scene. CHINO XL epic piece of work. Get this album NOW!

kari orr

Jun 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/29/96
In article <31D55B...@gnn.com>, MCM <memo...@gnn.com> says:

what do you folks mean by influential?

k. orr
house of phat beats

Galaxy Li

Jul 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/1/96

kinda in order
1)PUBLIC ENEMY- takes a nation......(think of all the samples...)
2)WU-TANG- 36 chambers....(blew up da east side)
3)NWA-niggaz4LIFE...(can't forget da west)
4)CYPRESS HILL- cypress hill(cheeba cheeba, ya'll...gotta have ganja
rap... ok, that was a lot bigger with 'Black Sunday', but the first one
kicked ev'body's ass.. one of my faves of all time)
5)Ice CUBE-Kill at Will or Death Certificate... maybe even predator.
Those Sega Saturn advertisements are insane crazy
6)of course, Beasties' Liscenced to Ill
7)Digital Underground- that famous award for the most overused beat
8)Dr. Dre's wack ish- even though I can't stand him and snoop- WAY too
mainstream.. I know rednecks who got Gin and Juice on their mix tapes
9)Pharcyde-Bizarreride... blew up jazzy rap, and other tangents, almost
went to quest, but these guys can put humor with a comparable rhyming
ability, fast AND slow (exception:Scenario)
10)Ida know... Old Slick Rick or BDP? maybe LONS, but they were soooo
underrated.

I gotta go I gotta go I gotta go why? it's the strobelight.

Buckshot fo da 9-3x-2x

Lee Pearce

Tero Paananen

Jul 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/4/96

In <4r9f1m$i...@newz.oit.unc.edu> g...@email.unc.edu (Galaxy Li) writes:

>9)Pharcyde-Bizarreride... blew up jazzy rap, and other tangents, almost

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>went to quest, but these guys can put humor with a comparable rhyming
>ability, fast AND slow (exception:Scenario)

Wouldn't that have been GangStarr?

-TPP

jbc...@live.co.uk

Dec 16, 2016, 11:55:24 AM12/16/16
1994 a wack year? lol

showtymep...@gmail.com

Jan 6, 2017, 1:15:36 AM1/6/17
On Friday, June 7, 1996 at 2:00:00 PM UTC+7, JenFSPR wrote:
> I'd have to take Slick Rick - Great Adventures... off of the honorable
> mention and add Dr. Dre - The Chronic and (I know I'm going to get hell
> for this one, but...)Beastie Boys Licensed to Ill. Also, did you mention
> De La Soul - 3 Feet High & Rising? If you didn't - I did.

Nah bruh Lil Yachty da goat.