Why I Use EBONICS

OverTiME

Feb 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/4/98

**************WARNING!!!!****************
**This document wuz created using EBONICSv2.0 **
********CONTAINS EXPLICIT CONTENT**********

Wassup yall!!

This yo boy OverTiME Comin' Down....

from DEEP....

Down South.

This is the first in a series of articles fo Black History Month created
to EXPLAIN sum TRUTHFUL information on EBONICS.

There IS a Black Culture & social fabric unlike the mainstream media
would have you BELIEVE.

And its ROOTS are thoroughly emersed in the ORAL traditions of Blackfolk
that have existed since the dayz of chattel SLAVERY.

Hip-hop being a prime example.

Along wit jazz, blues, rock & roll, r&b, funk, soul, gospel.
Thats in the United Snakes alone.

Slavery CREATED Black culture. It has world-wide ramifications and influence.
Evidence in the Afro-Cuban Santeria dance & rituals, the dance & influence
of the Brazilian Carnival, and the historic majesty of the Caribbean.

Racism is REAL and still affects the lives of minority Amerikkkan youth.
It makes the GAME unfair from the very beginning.
Becuz EREBODY deserves and equal OPPORTUNITY.
And you dont think so...just open yo 3rd Eye and take a good look
around you.

(side note: Yall probably wonder why i write 'Amerikkka'.
I have anotha article that thoroughly explains the REAL his-story of
Reconstruction, the Klan, and the Jim Crow era.
Yall might start to believe in the c-o-nspiracy 4REAL.
The 29th President of the U.S. wuz sworn into the Klan *IN* the White House.
The same Good Ol' Boyz have BEEN existin'.)

Yall might just overstand why i use it after reading & LEARNIN' sum bout
how people COMMUNICATE.

To REALLY overstand each otha...
Our SOULS must RELATE.

fo all the playa-haterz, nay-sayerz, & funk-fakerz:
Soak up sum of dis SPACE-AGE GAME foolz!!!!

Thanks & much LOVE to my homegirl Alicia...aka Eloquent Fury & Ukali daown
at N'COBRA.

Stay UP!

OverTiME
'I dont give a sh*t bout them STOLEN GOODZ...
You want PEZE muthafucka RAi$E UP!! out the HOOD!!' --The Coup

AD-Vanced Scout Entertainment Group presents:

3rdCoast Magazine.
rai...@swbell.net

Live! & Direct from PLANET-TEXAS

PEZE. LIVE N IT OR REST N IT.ITSYOURCHOICE.ERASETHEHATE.DOSOMETHING.4REAL.1LUV

by ALICIA BANKS <ban...@sfo.com>
Radio Producer, Talk Show Host, DJ, Columnist
KPFA FM/KPFB FM/KFCF FM

aka-- ELOQUENT FURY

Racist fools remain arrogant about their ignorance of linguistics and
African Culture.

Houston, Texas begins a National War against the securing of white
supremacy and sexism.

For more see "ebonics 3" and "prop 209 2"

at

http:/www.geocities.com/capitolhill/lobby/5224

ALICIA BANKS

REVOLUTIONARY AFRICAN TRUTH

EXPRESSLY FOR RADICAL INTELLECTUALS WHO SEEK KNOWLEDGE
(*******WARNING: HAZARDOUS TO NEOCON DELUSION*******)

SEE NEW COLUMN WEEKLY

SEND RESPONSES TO: ALICIA BANKS <ban...@sfo.com> cc: <rai...@swbell.net>

 ON ARROGANT IGNORANCE

As a voracious reader, researcher, scholar, author, producer, talk show
host, musicologist DJ, and tri-lingual revolutionary intellectual, I am
always amazed by the bold fools who do not possess a library card, and never
visit a book store, who dare to challenge my claims. I am always repulsed by
the racist whites who will NEVER heal from the WOUND that the ebonics issue
has inflicted upon their white supremacist delusions of intellectual
grandeur. I am always amused by the eurocentric Blacks who mimic such
bigoted bravado.

Those who object to ebonics are afraid to admit that anything African can be
legitimate and equivalent in any fashion. They are tricked by  racist news
editors who have blatantly lied about the Oakland School Board¹s plans. They
have absolutely no interest in the academic failures or futures of African
students. They are singularly obsessed with the fact that uppity rebel
niggers acted to save nigger children without neocon white permission or
uncle tom apology.

Like the Oakland School Board, I will continue to ignore all who are
arrogant about their ignorance of languages and cultures. But for those who
are afrocentric and aware, I submit the following book list as my column
this week. I do so for those who are aware that ³language² extends far
beyond vocabulary/slang  to include verbal conjugation, syntax, phonetics,
articulation, cadence, enunciation, and much more. ³Ebonics² is a new term
for an ancient issue. Research ³Black english² for droves of other
resources.

In 1977, (Martin Luther King Junior School Children v. Ann Arbor School
Board), 30 African parents won a lawsuit that charged their children were
poorly educated, due to the lack of recognition of Black english as a
barrier to standard english instruction. Is this news to you?

All REAL news is NEVER on TV! So, read on:

The Study of Nonstandard English- William Labov

Language in the Inner City- William Labov

Lexicon of Black English- J. Dillard

Perspectives on Black English- J. Dillard

Rappin¹ & Stylin¹ Out- Thomas Kochman

The African Element in American English- David Dalby

Issues in Black English- Bernice Cullinan

Talkin¹ & Testifyin¹: The Language of Black America- Geneva Smitherman

Twice as Less: Black English and the Performance of Black Students in
Mathematics & Science- Eleanor Orr

Runnin¹ Down Some Lines: The Language and Culture of Black Teenagers- Edith
Folb

Ebonics-The Language of The African American- Olufola Sababu

ETC....

Seek the truth. It will free your mind and soul. Knowledge is power.
Education is salvation. For decades, racist educators have used Black
english as a tool for academic isolation and annihilation. In Oakland, We
have reclaimed that weapon.

It is being fashioned into a TOOL for intellectual revolution in academia.
The New World Order is in progress.

The Revolution is in the STREETZ...

EBONICS:BLACK ENGLISH/WHITE WEAPON

I am proud to be a resident of Oakland, California. The city that is home to
the first school board in the nation to proclaim that Black English is a
formal language. For centuries, racist educators have used language as a
weapon to sabotage the educations of Black english speaking students. It has
been a handy tool used to label them "retarded", warehouse them into special
education curriculum, and set them upon fast tracks to lifetimes of academic
failure.

In 1984, as a university senior, I wrote a paper on Black english. My
research was simultaneously inspirational and depressing. I had proven that
it was indeed a formal grammatical language. Yet, I never expected ANY
school board to extend it the respect it so deserved.

Black english is a combination of African languages and standard english.
African Americans should be awarded linguistic medals of honor for its
creation against impossible odds. To deter rebellion and increase fear and
control, slavemasters deliberately separated African slaves from fellow
members of their tribes. Often, these same slavemasters were functionally
illiterate and ignorant of standard english themselves. From that linguistic
stew of confusion, we fashioned a FORMAL Black english.

Black english STILL merges formal rules of African languages like Ibo,
Yoruba, Ewe, Tula, Mandinka, Wolof, and Mende. Just as in French, many of
these languages have no "th" sound. Instead, the French speak "t". Instead,
Africans speak "d". Thus, "theatre" becomes "tayatra" and "them" becomes
"dem", respectively.

Many native African words are included in standard english vocabulary. For
example, "goober, okra, uh-huh, and uh-uh" are all FORMAL African words.
But, as Black english is slandered as mere "slang", African contributions
are also ignored. In this racist America, everything "Black" is bad. (i.e.
Blackmail/ Blacklist/Blackball etc...) And, everything "African" is VERY
Black and VERY bad.

Black neocons and racist whites who slander and resent ebonics are only
behaving as always. They always reject all that is Black. These same persons
revere "differences" in other languages. Shakespearean english is regarded
as theatrical and scholarly. French, Spanish, and Japanese are viewed as
profitable and chic. Clearly, Black english is NOT being rejected for its
difference, but for its BLACKNESS.

Some dare to claim that english and Black english are too similar to be
separate. This is a bogus argument for ANY subject, but especially for
languages. French is very similar to Patois, Creole, and Spanish. But, no
neocon is slandering any of these languages. Some dare to reject Black
english because elite Blacks do not speak it. Many elite Chinese Americans
do not speak Chinese. But, no neocon would dare ignore those Chinese
students who do speak it. Some dare to claim that ebonics will increase
segregation.

That is impossible! In the REAL world, We ARE segregated by
race and class more than ever before! (For evidence, see a classic book
entitled Two Nations: Hostile, Seperate, & Unequal by Andrew Hacker.)

I am fluent in French. I can hardly imagine how difficult it would have been
to learn French without meticulously translating english during instruction.
Reading is merely speech written down. If what is written is not what is
spoken, the difficulty of the task is intensified. Students who speak Black
english are unfairly forced to both decode and translate, simultaneously and
automatically.

Just as with ALL other linguistic instruction, Ebonics will be used as a
BRIDGE to help Black students master 'standard' english. Such mastery is
mandatory for success in a world where 'standard' english rules in every
arena. Neocons fear Black english will replace 'standard' english. Like all
racist fears, this is ludicrous.

Our cultural differences are REAL. Students should not be academically
abused because of them. Ebonics will be VICTORIOUS in academia. It will
intellectually empower Black students. Keep watching Oakland schools. You
will see a sudden and drastic increase in Black honors students and
graduates. You will see far less Black students being labeled as retarded or
suspended, and dropping out.

I love Oakland!...

4REAL.(tm)

From: Hond...@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 03:32:27 -0500 (EST)
Subject: N'COBRA National Convention

For those who have been wondering:

N'COBRA (National Coalition of Blacks for Reparations in America)
will be holding it's 9th Annual
National Convention at Hampton
University (in Virginia) this year. It is
scheduled for June 26--28 and is
being hosted by the Hampton/Newport News
chapter of N'COBRA.

The theme we will UNITE around is:

"Putting It All Together: Spiritually,
Organizationally,
Economically,
Culturally,
Politically
and
Legally"

Bro. H. Khalif Khalifah, the
noted publisher, author and organizer is a
leading member of this chapter.
He informed me that a special feature of this
year's convention will be a
guided Sunday afternoon excursion along the NAT
TURNER Trail in Southampton
County (Virginia). This alone should attract
reparations supporters from
near and far.

Bro. Khalifah can be contacted via email at:
ub...@pinn.net

More information will be available as convention plans are finalized.

#######################################

If you haven't already established your membership in
N'COBRA, now is the time!

Your membership (only $10/year) is a concrete way to
*demonstrate* your support for N'COBRA's ongoing effort
to win long-overdue restitution for the oppression
of Afrikan people in this country -- as well as just compensation
for repairing the damages caused by chattel enslavement,
legal segregation and continuing racial discrimination.

Membership information can be
obtained from:

N'COBRA National Office
PO Box 62622
Washington DC 20029-2622

#######################################

Peace and Power,

Ukali

PEZE. LIVE N IT OR REST N IT.ITSYOURCHOICE.ERASETHEHATE.DOSOMETHING.4REAL.1LUV
RAi$E UP!! World-Wide Hip-Hop Distribution
Network Copyright © 1998

ITS ALL IN THE GAME.
all rights reserved

2-4-98, Servin' Soulfood 3 fo a DOLLA.

ZIBIDI3

Feb 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/5/98

rai...@swbell.net ,

>Slavery CREATED Black culture.

Entirely too reactionary. In effect you're saying Black culture did not exist
before slavery?

>The 29th President of the U.S. wuz sworn into the Klan *IN* the White House.

Now that is something I would like to learn about.

More please.

grk...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2017, 6:25:58 AM3/13/17
There was an addendum in the Constitution as well that allowed for the federal government to abet slaveholders the right to if a slave should have escaped or run away since considered property the federal government with Aid in its capture the Federal Marshals and have it returned in due time this is our constitution speak against route please I refuse a system in which we need to First go backwards before we could begin going forward again